Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

CM

They looked really poor today with the exception of de Bruyne. It has been the same most times I've watched them this season, de Bruyne and Foden are the only ones who bring any life to that team. For some reason it seems as though Pep refuses to play Foden in the league.

I guess there was some kind of inevitability that there'd be a regression with Silva and Sane leaving, and Aguero getting far fewer minutes, but this is far more dramatic than I could've imagined. The comparisons to us under van Gaal really aren't far off the mark.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Guardiola’s decision making over the last few years is getting weirder and weirder. His obsession with the nothing player Rodri has turned City into such a plodding side, while he’s sidelined Sané and Bernardo who were both fantastic in their title wins and phased in lesser players such as Mahrez (his most used player this season despite consistent rubbish performances).

Post-lockdown, their performances with and without Foden have been night and day yet he hasn’t started in any of the last seven PL games and has played only 50 minutes since coming on at half time and winning MOTM vs West Ham.

On another note, I find De Bruyne such an annoying player to watch. He’s constantly misplacing passes to absolutely no-one and then having a mini tantrum at his teammates. His attitude stinks.

How are they so sound defensively? They've not conceded a goal in last 8/10 games.
Dias has been a quality signing and everything seems to have suddenly clicked for Stones. Laporte is third choice centre back now which would have been unbelievable at the start of the season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You guys created nothing today, couple of corners and Bruno shooting from 40 yards.

I was on about the difference in finishing between us and Liverpool. We had Mahrez miss a 1 v 1, we had KDB fluff the rebound, a great chance for Sterling blocked by Maguire. If you think City didn't create enough chances to win today you didn't watch the game. But yeah playing like that both Liverpool and Spurs would beat us for sure as Spurs already have.
Mahrez 1 v 1 was the same as McTomminay who almost got it in first half if he got the touch of the ball Imo. De Bruyne chances was the same when Maguire had that header in first half. Sterling blocked by Maguire was the same as Pogba blocked by stones. About the same in my opinion, I’ll give you slightly ahead like 55:45 there but not by much.

Pep's Suit

Well, I don't think Aguero can become the player he was three years ago. At least physically he looks absolutely terrible.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Man City bore the life out of me now. It’s just continued passes at the back then a rare venture forward and it breaks down, then they just sit back and flood the midfield. Pep seems to have lost the attacking fluency he once had in teams and relies on moments of magic to open teams up instead of really pushing forward and pressing high.

Sterling has been utterly dreadful this season and Gabriel Jesus is never going to be world class.

RashyForPM

Dias has been a quality signing and everything seems to have suddenly clicked for Stones. Laporte is third choice centre back now which would have been unbelievable at the start of the season.
Dias is class but they have improved defensively largely due to Pep’s switch to more defensive tactics. Stones is just an above average defender, and Laporte is prone to real lapses in concentration.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
How about their midfield, what setup they usually use? They seem to concede very low number of quality chances too Basing on xGA.

Kag

The least scary City side we’ve played in what must be a decade.

Replacing the likes of Kompany, Silva and Aguero was never going to be easy but the lack of quality shows. Rodri and Fernandinho is as middling as it gets and Jesus isn’t remotely good enough. They also lack character. Forget Kompany, Silva and Aguero, but where is Zabaleta, or even Otamendi or Dzeko? This is a soft City side and it badly needs investment.

Idxomer

They've just become so slow, the intensity is all but gone now.

Pep's Suit

It's a team very similar to Wenger's Arsenal when 4th place finish was a 'trophy'.

However, if City win next two games (West Brom H, Saints A) it won't look 'that' bad.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Dias is class but they have improved defensively largely due to Pep’s switch to more defensive tactics. Stones is just an above average defender, and Laporte is prone to real lapses in concentration.
That’s definitely a contributing factor but it’s not like City usually set up the way they did yesterday. I think that was only the second time Fernandinho and Rodri played together as a double 6. Usually they either play Rodri alone as a 6 or in a double pivot with Gündogan, neither of whom offers as much protection to the defence as Fernandinho alone.

Since he’s come back into the side, Stones has been outshining Dias. He’s come back stronger, more aerially dominant, better positionally and more focused than he’s ever shown before this. It’s still only a small sample size but he genuinely looks class at the moment.

Reactions: Penna

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
How about their midfield, what setup they usually use? They seem to concede very low number of quality chances too Basing on xGA.
They play 4-2-3-1 primarily. Double pivot, KDB as the attacking midfielder. I mean, it makes sense... Gundogan and Rodri work best from deep in terms of shielding the defense and sweeping up through balls (City were killed in this last season).

The issue with this is that they aren't dynamic in terms of releasing the ball forward. They opt for the safer pass sideways or back, rarely looking to break the lines.

Maybe City need to switch to a formation with 3 defenders at the back? De Bruyne is isolated as the sole playmaker, and even if you want to maintain Gundogan and Rodri, Foden and/or Bernando need to aid in adding some dynamism to City's attack.

Defenders will never get credit in a Pep team, it's all due to his tactics (whether positive: "they don't need to defend", or negative: "they are being protected") :lol:

Feed Me

I'm hungry
City are a long way off their top level and the only reason people talk about them as being in title contention is their recent heritage.

They are not going to be near winning the league this season and I think Pep knows it, which is why he’s relatively placid at the moment.

United should have gone for the throat yesterday and played the team on the pitch instead of the reputation.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
They play 4-2-3-1 primarily. Double pivot, KDB as the attacking midfielder. I mean, it makes sense... Gundogan and Rodri work best from deep in terms of shielding the defense and sweeping up through balls (City were killed in this last season).

The issue with this is that they aren't dynamic in terms of releasing the ball forward. They opt for the safer pass sideways or back, rarely looking to break the lines.

Maybe City need to switch to a formation with 3 defenders at the back? De Bruyne is isolated as the sole playmaker, and even if you want to maintain Gundogan and Rodri, Foden and/or Bernando need to aid in adding some dynamism to City's attack.

Defenders will never get credit in a Pep team, it's all due to his tactics (whether positive: "they don't need to defend", or negative: "they are being protected") :lol:
So they are having similar issued to current United? I have to admit, I wouldn't trade our squad for City squad. Maybe one or two players, but overall they are a bit meh. They have more depth in attack though.

adexkola

Supports
So they are having similar issued to current United? I have to admit, I wouldn't trade our squad for City squad. Maybe one or two players, but overall they are a bit meh. They have more depth in attack though.
I think the similar issue we share is that our attack stalls against a set defense. I don't think we have ever gotten this right under Ole. City used to relish this challenge, because Silva the Elder and KDB could play between the lines and break defenses down after pinning them back. Now that the former is gone they don't possess that same capability.

Yeah I'm not sure I would trade our squad for City's either.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think the similar issue we share is that our attack stalls against a set defense. I don't think we have ever gotten this right under Ole. City used to relish this challenge, because Silva the Elder and KDB could play between the lines and break defenses down after pinning them back. Now that the former is gone they don't possess that same capability.

Yeah I'm not sure I would trade our squad for City's either.
We're not struggling against weaker teams so not sure what do you mean by that?

adexkola

Supports
We're not struggling against weaker teams so not sure what do you mean by that?
We aren't? :confused:

The entire narrative this season has been Ole getting by on individual brilliance from our forwards (like the comeback against West Ham). Now I don't entirely agree but it does feel like we are at a loss for ideas sometimes when we face defenses that sit back.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We aren't? :confused:

The entire narrative this season has been Ole getting by on individual brilliance from our forwards (like the comeback against West Ham). Now I don't entirely agree but it does feel like we are at a loss for ideas sometimes when we face defenses that sit back.
No we are not, not since Bruno arrived. Click and click.

adexkola

Supports
No we are not, not since Bruno arrived. Click and click.
I'm not saying we don't score, that would be ludicrous. As a side note, I took a look at the table. We've scored 19. City have scored 17. High flying Liverpool and Chelsea have scored 26 and 25 respectively. That's not a huge gap.

I think we (probably I moreso) may be extrapolating the issues of both teams based on this one game.

I’m amazed he’s signed another contract with city, well not amazed because he obviously is getting paid something absolutely incredible and feels like he can’t turn it down.
But his previous jobs have been short stints purposely, I think he knows that his management style needs a rest for both himself and the players. I don’t see him as a long-term manager of a club, it will just drain the players too much.

Is he staying just because of Messi?

RashyForPM

I get your point, as Pique never got the deserved credit for his consistently top class performances throughout Pep’s tenure at Barca, and people called Otamendi ‘rash’, ‘shite’ and ‘erratic’ throughout the 2017-18 season despite him being dominant all the way.

This time though, they really are being protected to, by Pep’s standards, unbelievable levels. He’s not replaced D. Silva with Foden, who everyone touted as the start of the season, but with Gundogan/Fernandinho and switched to a 4-2-3-1 with two sitters and less progressive full backs. Dias, Stones, Laporte and Ake are being undeniably massively protected by Pep’s tactics this season.

arnie_ni

Since David Silva left.
Aguero is only getting more addicted with online video gamings so...

City with these two (Silva and fit Aguero) is always scary to play against. Additionally, when they had Kompany and top form Yaya, they are annoyinglt difficult to beat. Now, they're just meh, full of inconsistent and unreliable players. A Normal top team. Left with just KDB the most consistent but I never fear this guy, he never made City special nor making it a tough team to beat. David Silva is the key in attacks and tempo, the guy is class, thankfully he's gone.

That said, again their attack breakthrough our defenses again and again, sign of good coaching in attacking, but thankfully their players didn't grab the chances (some like Sterling even concede it by making shit dives) and sometimes our defense made good blocks/stops.
Whats this about aguero and online gaming?

adexkola

Supports
I get your point, as Pique never got the deserved credit for his consistently top class performances throughout Pep’s tenure at Barca, and people called Otamendi ‘rash’, ‘shite’ and ‘erratic’ throughout the 2017-18 season despite him being dominant all the way.

This time though, they really are being protected to, by Pep’s standards, unbelievable levels. He’s not replaced D. Silva with Foden, who everyone touted as the start of the season, but with Gundogan/Fernandinho and switched to a 4-2-3-1 with two sitters and less progressive full backs. Dias, Stones, Laporte and Ake are being undeniably massively protected by Pep’s tactics this season.
Your first paragraph makes me want to force a mod to give you a star.

And yes I can concede the point in your second paragraph.

Pep's Suit

Pep’s use of Phil Foden is strange to say the least .
He's not that consistent (yet). However, Pep became obssesed with Sterling playing from the left which is something I don't understand. And doesn't help that Cancelo is also right-footed.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Thet will not win this PL. They just won't.

I laughed hard when Pep extended his contract until 2023, because he should rebuild the squad in summer 2021. Rebuild or nothing. Their very best players are gone (Touré, Kompany, Silva) or declining (Kun). De Bruyne can't do it alone. Gabriel J.?? Never a TopTop player. Sterling? Early peak, it seems.

padr81

Supports
Man City
6 points off the top with a game in hand, 4 of the big 6 out of the way plus Leicester. Should at least take 18 points up to half way. Possibly 21 to 24. Only Everton and Chelsea should be potentially denying us points.

Id say its a good position with all the others having more than 1 game vs top clubs in same period.

Pep's Suit

6 points off the top with a game in hand, 4 of the big 6 out of the way plus Leicester. Should at least take 18 points up to half way. Possibly 21 to 24. Only Everton and Chelsea should be potentially denying us points.

Id say its a good position with all the others having more than 1 game vs top clubs in same period.
I agree. Even if City don't score much these days I'd still expect them to beat West Brom and Newcastle 3:0, 2:0. That Chelsea game, we all know Pep will approach it like matches against Pool and United. However, Saints and Everton away are the tricky ones but City really have to win those.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Shows how insane the level was in 17/18 you've already dropped as many points as that season (and next time you draw it will be same as 18/19!)

Sometimes people on this forum act like getting 95 points or more in a league isn't that hard but it certainly bloody is and impossible for any side in transition as Man. City now are.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Shows how insane the level was in 17/18 you've already dropped as many points as that season (and next time you draw it will be same as 18/19!)

Sometimes people on this forum act like getting 95 points or more in a league isn't that hard but it certainly bloody is and impossible for any side in transition as Man. City now are.
Absolutely, since Contes title the league has had an insanely high winning total for the most part. This season I think we're back to an 80ish points total maybe 85. Any team on around 40 points after 19 games will be in the mix imho. If any team can put that 8 or so wins in a row together they'll have a great chance.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Absolutely, since Contes title the league has had an insanely high winning total for the most part. This season I think we're back to an 80ish points total maybe 85. Any team on around 40 points after 19 games will be in the mix imho. If any team can put that 8 or so wins in a row together they'll have a great chance.
100% agree, 85 points is the marker for me to be sure of winning league this year but could be a few points less if Liverpool don't improve their away performances.

Could be like 15/16 when Leicester won with "just" 81 points but still wrapped things up with two games left as chasing pack all fell away after March.

archiebald

The least scary City side we’ve played in what must be a decade.

Replacing the likes of Kompany, Silva and Aguero was never going to be easy but the lack of quality shows. Rodri and Fernandinho is as middling as it gets and Jesus isn’t remotely good enough. They also lack character. Forget Kompany, Silva and Aguero, but where is Zabaleta, or even Otamendi or Dzeko? This is a soft City side and it badly needs investment.
Fernandinho in his late 20s to early 30s was a boss CDM, the kind we'd love to have playing as a lone protector in front of the back 4 for us instead of running 2 men like we are now. Rodri was meant to be his replacement, but fell way short.

They seem sorted at the CB positions with the recent Dias purchase. Their big problem is finding an Aguero replacement at a time when top tier CFs are fast becoming a rare commodity. Likely targets are Haaland or Lautaro, though the former isn't a Pep style player and I don't really rate the latter despite the Aguero comparisons.

Classical Mechanic

Pep now in his fifth season as Manchester City manager. He's only picked up two big pots at domestic level and has made no progress whatsoever in establishing City as a major force in Europe, let alone making them the dominant side in Europe as he was brought in to do. All this despite mindboggling investment in the squad. Perhaps most strange is Guardiola's vaunted sytle devolving into a Moyesian malaise.

It wasn't supposed to be this way.

Pep's Suit

De Bruyne's so isolated in games this season and other players offer zero creativity.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Flat as a pancake.

Can honestly see them missing out on top 4.