Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

SRV

I really don't see that ever happening. This year looks like it could finally be their year, but I doubt they'll retain it next year. Bayern aren't going away any time soon, Liverpool with VDV back next year, Chelsea under Tuchel, United.... Who knows what will happen with the La Liga clubs, Barca seem to have recovered their season now and could be a force next year again.
I kind of agree that this will never become a reality, but for another reason: there can be only 11 (or 14 players, if you wanna stretch it) players in a team and the top 50-100 players in the world are pretty similar in their skill level (apart from the top most outliers). And since none of them wants to be benched, they will allways spread out across the 7-8 best teams in the world.

guardiolafan

Supports
Flamengo
How would you guys react if in the UCL semifinal, Aguero comes in late in the second half and scores the winning goal for City?

AshRK

How would you guys react if in the UCL semifinal, Aguero comes in late in the second half and scores the winning goal for City?
Well he can't score in the semis for sure now.

I think you mean the finals. Well if he helps them to win the CL then fair play to him. He has been a great servant to them and has been a tremendous footballer, so well done to him.

As for city winning the CL, well don't know why I never feel anything towards them.

Irwin99

Don't think they will have it easy in the final at all, no matter who they play. I quite fancy Chelsea to give them a really tough game. They will probably just be favourites though.

An all Manchester Super cup final might be on the cards next season :drool:

always_hoping

Don't think they will have it easy in the final at all, no matter who they play. I quite fancy Chelsea to give them a really tough game. They will probably just be favourites though.

An all Manchester Super cup final might be on the cards next season :drool:
Tuchel will at least make Chelsea more difficult to beat and score against than PSG. Real Madrid have too many defensive injuries and other issues to trouble City.

marktan

Tuchel will at least make Chelsea more difficult to beat and score against than PSG. Real Madrid have too many defensive injuries and other issues to trouble City.
Agree, think City would easily beat Real. Aside Benzema there's not much to trouble City. The midfield is good but would get out-pressed. Chelsea are a better match up but City will still be heavy favourites. It won't be like the FA Cup where Pep rested quite a few players.

guardiolafan

Supports
Flamengo
Well he can't score in the semis for sure now.

I think you mean the finals. Well if he helps them to win the CL then fair play to him. He has been a great servant to them and has been a tremendous footballer, so well done to him.

As for city winning the CL, well don't know why I never feel anything towards them.
I meant the final, I goofed

guardiolafan

Supports
Flamengo
Agree, think City would easily beat Real. Aside Benzema there's not much to trouble City. The midfield is good but would get out-pressed. Chelsea are a better match up but City will still be heavy favourites. It won't be like the FA Cup where Pep rested quite a few players.
Real Madrid is a club that you never, ever, fancy playing against in a UCL final. Not only they played 16 finals and won 13 (their losses being against Benfica in 1962, Internazionale in 1964 and Liverpool in 1981), but Real also won finals such as 1998 against Juventus and 2000 against Valencia despite not being favorites. Yes, even Real's players say that Juventus in 1998 and and Valencia in 2000 were having much better seasons and were considered favorites. Real won many UCLs while also having poor campaigns in La Liga.

Irwin99

As well as the midfield (hopefully with Kante in beast mode) it's their wide players that could do damage. Pulisic looks to be hitting a bit of form.

marktan

Anyway it annoys me that they're so good. Look at their bench - you could field another top quality XI from that alone. Sterling, Jesus, Aguero, Laporte, Rodri, Torres, Mendy, Cancelo, Ake.. that's like an average of £50m per player. Conversely the most expensive players on our bench against Roma were Telles, Matic, Van De Beek and Mata..

United are making up ground under Ole with the right signings, but we could've been much closer. That £50m odd that goes to the debt and the Glazers each year could've bought us some quality players.

We wasted time under Van Gaal with terrible tranfers in and out, Mourinho's were better but it could've all been done a lot better. Conversely when Pep came in City already had KDB, Sterling, Aguero, Silva, Kompany etc and they've been ruthless with signings when they haven't worked out.

I mean just look at their RW options - they've signed Mahrez, Bernado Silva, Ferran - we still some 6 or so years on from Valencia playing there have no one. I'm hopeful but that this summer we make the signings we need (especially RW and generally top quality squad depth) so that we can actually challenge, but with the Glazers in charge I'm not holding my breath.

stepic

Their recruitment has been vastly superior to ours. All that talent and Dias is their highest transfer fee at £64m.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It still doesn’t mean Chelsea can beat them again if Pep chose to take it seriously and playing with full strength. If Real plays full strength, they have better chance in my opinion. Ramos should be available in final, valverde will add extra energy in the midfield and marcelo won’t play. Their experience players will make bigger difference than Chelsea players. Zidane is much more proven to win this than Tuchel.

rednet

A team which shouldn’t have been in the competition is going to play finals.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There is no treble without the FA.
Of course it is a treble. It's 3 trophies.

Of course there is a hierarchy. Ours is supreme above all other combinations of 3 trophies. Now that being said, how many people prior to this month, rated the FA Cup several tiers above the Carabao Cup?

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC

Of course there is a hierarchy. Ours is supreme above all other combinations of 3 trophies. Now that being said, how many people prior to this month, rated the FA Cup several tiers above the Carabao Cup?
It always was bigger. FA Cup is the same as Coppa Italia, Copa del Rey etc. Carabao is a cup but I don't see it being apart of treble tbh.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale

FA Cup > League Cup

Agree 3 Cups is a treble.

Pep should have listened to the Caf that FA Cup treble is better and fielded a strong first team against Chelsea. :D

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
FA Cup > League Cup

Agree 3 Cups is a treble.

Pep should have listened to the Caf that FA Cup treble is better and fielded a strong first team against Chelsea. :D
Agreed on the bolded. Just saying, in recent years both have been regarded as largely irrelevant (look at how Arsenal's recent wins have been treated).

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Their recruitment has been vastly superior to ours. All that talent and Dias is their highest transfer fee at £64m.
That is the difference between them and PSG
PSG spent 400m on 2 superstar attackers and filled most of the other positions with below average players.
Their squad for a CL semi had players like Florenzi, Kehrer, Kurzawa Diallo Bakker, Gana, Paredes, Danilo, Moise Kean, Sarabia, Icardi if we are fair, most do not belong to a CL semi standard

City spent their own 400m on 7-8 above average players that is why they can call their 2nd eleven without a drop in quality

For PSG maybe they need to sell Mbappe and Neymar to Spain to have a more balanced squad

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
That is the difference between them and PSG
PSG spent 400m on 2 superstar attackers and filled most of the other positions with below average players.
Their squad for a CL semi had players like Florenzi, Kehrer, Kurzawa Diallo Bakker, Gana, Paredes, Danilo, Moise Kean, Sarabia, Icardi if we are fair, most do not belong to a CL semi standard

City spent their own 400m on 7-8 above average players that is why they can call their 2nd eleven without a drop in quality

For PSG maybe they need to sell Mbappe and Neymar to Spain to have a more balanced squad
City team at times to me is a little overrated tbh they spent a lot on players, but they've largely just overspent.

It's tough a little for Poch because he joined mid season when the team was kinda already under performing despite that outside of Ney and Mbappe they have Verratti, Di Maria, Marquinhos, Parades can be there Fernadinho/Casemiro type player, Navas and Icardi, while they have depth options like Herrera, Draxler, Rafinha, Kurzawa. PSG problem is they don't agree as a team, they are a bunch of players who are out of control and lack discipline. They need a star manager to get the best out of Ney and Mbappe to put them in their place right now those two run PSG.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Hate the club and how they got where they are but their team works their socks off, and can only beat whats infront of them so all this asterix stuff is nonsense

To be honest though i dont know any city fans so cant imagine many people will be talking about them and will swiftly be forgotten about if they lift the cup in a matter of days cause nobody respects them as a club,

got some quality players though mind so no fault of the players that the club is not really up there on a global scale

I feel teams like dortmund and PSG really played into their hands with so much time wasted trying to play out from the back, you beat city with a low block and quick counter attacks, you dont try and play football on the edge of your box with them as your just asking for it

All in all fair dues to the players for a good season but the club unfortunately will never have the respect, support, prestige or acknowledgment in any of their achievements due to the oil money and lotto win, for me they are just barcelona wannabes, stole their executives, manager, style of play and tried to make it theres

Again fair play to the squad on the hard work they put in but anything united win will always trump city, regardless of what it is

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
City team at times to me is a little overrated tbh they spent a lot on players, but they've largely just overspent.

It's tough a little for Poch because he joined mid season when the team was kinda already under performing despite that outside of Ney and Mbappe they have Verratti, Di Maria, Marquinhos, Parades can be there Fernadinho/Casemiro type player, Navas and Icardi, while they have depth options like Herrera, Draxler, Rafinha, Kurzawa. PSG problem is they don't agree as a team, they are a bunch of players who are out of control and lack discipline. They need a star manager to get the best out of Ney and Mbappe to put them in their place right now those two run PSG.
Verrati has barely been fit to build momentum on his talent and DiMaria will like playing Aguero as they are the same age.

Point is way too many below average players start in key games for PSG. In many games beyond Mbappe and Neymar maybe DiMaria, there is a huge gulf and some Everton standard players

Real Name

People saying their spending has been superior. But on the other hand look how much money has Pep been on defense until he got it right. It seemed like every year he buys at least 2 fullbacks and 1 centreback. It's easy to assemble that kind of team when you don't need to think about the money.
That's why imo their potential CL win won't be anything special.

Last edited:

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Real Madrid is a club that you never, ever, fancy playing against in a UCL final. Not only they played 16 finals and won 13 (their losses being against Benfica in 1962, Internazionale in 1964 and Liverpool in 1981), but Real also won finals such as 1998 against Juventus and 2000 against Valencia despite not being favorites. Yes, even Real's players say that Juventus in 1998 and and Valencia in 2000 were having much better seasons and were considered favorites. Real won many UCLs while also having poor campaigns in La Liga.
Given your username you will probably know that Pep is something like 13/14 in Finals so would be an intriguing contest.

jontheblue

Supports
MCFC
look how much money has Pep been on defense u until he got it right. It seemed like every year he buys at least 2 fullbacks and 1 centreback.
If not more

That's why we have had to sell so many defenders and still we have so many defenders we can't get off the books so in turn a squad stacked with defenders

rotherham_red

For me, them winning the CL was always going to happen eventually - with the amount of resources they've put in to it and having Pep at the helm - and if it does happen, it will have taken a freak pandemic season with no crowds and a massively condensed season where almost all the big clubs were fecked over and the circumstances essentially aided City with their vast squad, so it's always going to be asterisked (and that's beyond the obviously financial asterisk already in place).

They might get some hype owing to the Pep factor, but like Chelsea in 2012, I don't think it will live long in the memory for those outside of the club. Just file it along with their Centurions season, which people also quickly got over.

rotherham_red

It's A treble, but it's not THE treble. Just like Liverpool's cup treble, or City's domestic treble ("quadruple")

I think the reason why a treble with the FA Cup is seen as being better is that it runs in the second half of the season, so it's more of a feat to win it in addition to the League and CL. Whereas with the League Cup, as it runs until February (granted the final was played in April this year) it's easier to compartmentalise that from the rest of the season.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think the important trophies are league and CL. Everything else is replaceable, even if there are minor differences. CL + League are 80% of the merit for me.

redrobed

I don’t count them. As far as I’m concerned Spurs won the League cup, Bayern won the Champions League and we won the Premier League. If you have to spend over a billion pounds to find success then you didn’t find success and you do not deserve to be recognised.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I think the important trophies are league and CL. Everything else is replaceable, even if there are minor differences. CL + League are 80% of the merit for me.
Well yeah, everyone knows this as it is obvious, but we are talking about THE treble here.

stepic

People saying their spending has been superior. But on the other hand look how much money has Pep been on defense until he got it right. It seemed like every year he buys at least 2 fullbacks and 1 centreback. It's easy to assemble that kind of team when you don't need to think about the money.
That's why imo their potential CL win won't be anything special.
granted, but then you look at our starring back 4 and realise we've spent close to 200m on it, and we still need to find another CB