Man City: Are they dirty?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Is there anything these twits don't cheat at?

Paul_Scholes18

Yeah, I reckon Fergie would have had a field day winding Klopp up if he were still around the last few years.
Mourinho used to be good at it as well. Hope Ole can use it well. Although the key is motivating our own squad.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
A lot of tactical fouls that refs don't see as yellow card worthy because they happen early in a move, or because they take out the passing player rather than the one receiving it - with an intent to stop a return ball or reduce the numbers available on a counter-attack. Sometimes meaning advantage is played where no actual advantage is available.

Generally speaking, it's not particularly violent of aggressive stuff - just stuff they get away with that an ordinary team, committing a traditional tactical foul, wouldn't. More a refereeing issue than anything.
This

Paul_Scholes18

They are best at many things although Liverpool do beats them in terms of being dirty I think. Close battle between them though.

We got Herrera and Matic though who both can be dirty too.

Although with City and Liverpool it is clear that they train these things and do it from instructions.

mroneid

https://www.football365.com/news/dirty-city-solskjaer-was-right-to-call-man-city-on-tactical-fouls

PL table ranked by fouls per minute spent out of possession
All stats courtesy of Opta

1) Manchester City – 0.299 fouls per minute out of possession
Fouls conceded (rank in PL): 291 (20th)
Possession conceded (%): 31.79
Possession conceded (mins): 973

2) Arsenal – 0.296
Fouls conceded (rank in PL): 378 (9th)
Possession conceded (%): 41.74
Possession conceded (mins): 1277

3) Manchester United – 0.283
Fouls conceded (rank in PL): 395 (=5th)
Possession conceded (%): 45.61
Possession conceded (mins): 1396

ROFLUTION

When we played them under Mourinho, it was really clear that Otamendi's role was to go straight for Rashford as soon as he got the ball on the counter.

I'd call his tackles on Rashford dirty.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Depends of your definition of dirty, but when looking at City, dirty isn't the first word that springs to mind really.

Cnuts, more like.

Varun

Staff
Tactical, yes. Dirty, no, not in my opinion. They're smart and make fouls to avoid being caught out of position on the counter but I don't view it as being dirty - we should do it more if anything.
Pretty much this.

Classical Mechanic

I've read a weird stat somewhere which looks like it can be true — that City are very close to the top in terms of fouls per time without possession rate. But they have so much possession that in pure numbers they make very few fouls.

City players definitely make many "professional" fouls where they kick a player to stop a counter without the intention of getting the ball (risking a yellow, of course), with Fernandinho being the worst culprit.
I would expect that to be true, any links?

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Any team that commits that many forward will always look to negate any opposition attack as soon as possible. First with the counterpress and then with a professional foul. Anything to stop a team from breaking at them since really only 1 CM and 2 CBs stay in their defensive block.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
I'd like to see some actual examples (but not one or two), where people think City haven't been punished for their tactical fouling accordingly. And of course that'd need to be compared with every other team in the league. For obvious reasons, no one will watch every game of every team, so there you go. I guess you'd probably find about 3 or 4 missed yellow cards, and it would be very similar to any other team (whether it's tactical, or systematical or just simply brutal fouling). Or maybe other teams are nice, I don't know. Anyway, added context would be nice.

But at least Woodward has showed some sort of consistency in his managerial appointments, given that both Solksjaer and Mourinho tackle this issue so seriously (at least while City is concerned).

AJ10

Dirty? - No
But they're coached to foul as soon as opposition have the ball. For some reason they never get punished just like pool.

I wouldn't say dirty, as in I don't think they'd ever be sent out to hurt opposing players etc. But they're absolutely taking advantage of being able to get away with breaking up counter-attacks simply because they stop them before they have a chance to really get going. It's clear as day that they do this.

The BBC article on this started throwing statistics around and seemed to be suggesting that United are actually worse as we commit more fouls in the opponents half and have been cautioned over twice as many times. But this is missing the point as:

1) Guardiola himself pointed out that City regularly have 65-70% possession (we don't) so the fact their total is only around 10-20 less than ours suggests that they commit fouls at a disproportionately high rate
2) If Fernandinho was punished as consistently as Herrera they'd probably double their number of cautions with him alone

One of the reasons they're able to be so dominant in games is that they control possession with players committed very far forward and press very high as soon as they lose the ball. If you manage to get around that press then chances are you'll have an opportunity to counter but it turns out you don't get that opportunity very often as they usually either win the ball back fairly or foul you immediately.

I think they get away with it because they foul you facing your own goal or on the turn, which is less obviously punishable than a shirt pull etc. Then there's Fernandinho where it doesn't matter, he can just foul you however and wherever he likes and get away with it. Ultimately it's fundamental to the way they play and allows everything else (dominate the ball, score lovely passing moves etc.) to happen. Pep trying to deny it is just a kick in the balls and shows what a sanctimonious prick he is.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I hate when we talk like this - we sound so second fiddle :(
SAF did this all the time, why is it second fiddle now?
A little comment like that, might give us a few more freekicks, and them yellows.
It's a nice little dig, that'll also make the ref more aware of it.

It's more "second fiddle" to feel sorry for ourselves.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
They're ruthless, albeit mainly through Fernandinho.

They're not a dirty team though, I wouldn't say. Their main focus seems to be on playing good football...

I'm sure Ole has said this as a way of drawing attention to it before the game though.

Canagel

Pep will never admit his team does tactical fouling.

The rule is very simple: win ball back in 5 seconds or foul.

AgentP

They make tactical fouls as soon as the opponent get the ball and threaten to counter. Their foul is so early after losing possession that the counter attack hasn't even started. This helps them to escape yellow cards from the refs. It's pretty clever and Pep obviously can't admit to it as it will make the refs stricter.

Davie Moyes

City are not dirty, they commit clever, sneaky, tactical fouls and get away with it - something Pep brought over from Barca. It's obvious to most watching as evidenced in the number of replies in this thread. I don't blame them if they can get away with it, although surprised that refs have not picked up on it. In fact I give credit to Pep as it's another example of how they ensure superiority over others in a game. If it allows them to get an advantage why not?

What annoys me more is that we seem to be the exact opposite in that most of our fouls are not clever at all. Most are committed in our half and so obvious that it feels nearly all lead to a booking. I think Herrara and McTomminay are quite clever with their persistent tactical fouls but not the rest.

Minimalist

Thought Pep would have had a bit more creativity in his response to that. Hardly an insult by my reckoning - you need to be capable of both sides of the game to be successful.

Fernandinho is the one of the dirtiest players in the league. He seems to be able to get away with so many repeat fouls in every single game.
Yup. Foulandinho is one of the best in the league at conning the ref with multiple tactical fouls per game.

And to answer the OP, yes. City straight up foul anyone who wins the ball back from them in their attacking third to stop counter attacks. Refs don't deem it as obvious so they do not book the player.

I swear Pep admits to this in their cringe Amazon documentary?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Is that the definition of dirty, though? Don't deny that we willingly and frequently commit fouls to break up counter attacks, but they're normally shirt pulls or body checks. We rarely commit fouls that could hurt or endanger an opponent.
Agree.... they're annoying fouls and really, refs should be smarter and start bookings sooner (on a collective basis) or theyll just carry on. The exception is Fernandinho.... he's missed out on a few possible reds this season.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
As far as tactical fouling, dirty is Ward Prouse stopping a Newcastle player from countering, a few days ago. That sort of foul always gets punished. And less egregious attempts like holding onto the ball after a free kick is given, should be punished.

However City don't do that often. As soon as possession is lost, they either obtain the ball, commit a foul while trying to get the ball back (which does inhibit the counter), or harry the opposition well enough that their players can get behind the ball and defend. Their methods get a disproportionate amount of ire because there is this notion that they are incredibly suspect on the counter (they aren't) and that's the only way to hurt them and their possession based style of play.

Fernandinho is an outlier sometimes, and some of his fouls have no reason other than slowing down a counter without contesting for the ball. He times it well for the most part.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
And I disagree with the notion that a certain sort of fouling/gamemanship should be punished more because they prevent a counter from occurring. The counter isn't any more special than other modes of football.

When Burnley muck the game up against Chelsea, the refrain is "go on".

Dansk

It's mostly a few individuals like Fernandinho. Wouldn't call the whole team dirty, not the way that the likes of Stoke have been at times.

Vadim

Were United dirty when Fergie used to tell players to kick Arsenal off the pitch to disrupt their play?

No. It’s tactics, it’s winning at all costs. Something our club has lost in it’s DNA.

This “City are dirty” thing is bitter tripe. I’d love Utd to have a few dirty cnuts in the side again.

Bob H from Manchester

Were United dirty when Fergie used to tell players to kick Arsenal off the pitch to disrupt their play?

No. It’s tactics, it’s winning at all costs. Something our club has lost in it’s DNA.

This “City are dirty” thing is bitter tripe. I’d love Utd to have a few dirty cnuts in the side again.
They also foul a lot less than we do . . an awful lot less than we do . . (we have lots of dirty whatsits in our side) . . Ole should at least do a bit of research because his misguided attempt to influence the referee was so wide of the mark that it just makes him look like petty and naive at best . . at worst it will have drawn refs attention to how dirty we are and he'll punish us for it tonight.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Ole should at least do a bit of research because his misguided attempt to influence the referee was so wide of the mark that it just makes him look like petty and naive at best
Alternatively, it could be Ole's attempt to make City play a certain way in this match.

Bob H from Manchester

Alternatively, it could be Ole's attempt to make City play a certain way in this match.
If so then he's far too naive to be in charge of a football team in one of europes top leagues . . . .
such teenage tactics might work in the 23rd league against semi-pro sides, and I now that's all he has under his belt, but it makes him and by association us look stupid.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It is a smart move to counteract their only weakness. Breakaways.

Implement an NBA team foul system. After x amount of fouls = auto yellow cards

marktan

Yes. Every match you'll see them commit a foul once they lose possession, purely to stop counter attacks since they push many men forwards. Barca used to it all the time under Pep too - he's moaning now that they don't do it, but I'm 100% certain it's a tactic of theres. What's worse - a foul or a potential goal scoring counter? Take the foul.

And Pep's being disingenuous by saying how many fouls they commit vs other teams - they dominate possession so it stands to reason they'll be fouling the other team less often. Their modus operandi essentially is 1) Dominate possession 2) Press high and either win the ball back or foul the other team to stop counter-attacks. It works against the majority of teams but it's also why they struggle against teams like Liverpool and Tottenham - they have midfielders and forwards that can evade the press/fouls when possession turns over.