Man United begin contract talks with Eric Bailly

Ekeke

We get to free up 80k per week in wages, while upgrading on him, so we will still have 5 senior centre backs, which is enough depth I think. Not really any point of having 6 or 7 CBs, especially when we have good young ones like Mengi coming through.

Also, small sample size, but let’s be honest, we’ve all watched Konsa and White loads this season, and their level has been higher than Bailly’s has ever been. They’re 3 years younger than Bailly too. Of course though, Konate and Kounde should be first choice.
Wat

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Not really fussed about him leaving.

At the end of the day, he's rarely available due to injuries and we're better off replacing him.

RashyForPM

Ben White of Brighton. Good, young ball-playing defender who could give us 8 years or so if he doesn’t get injured Got absolutely done by Rashford in the 2nd game but he generally hardly puts a foot wrong and can pick a pass as well as many midfielders and wingers.

He was also the best defender in the Championship last season, which was the first time he played at any serious level. His level hasn’t dropped in the PL and as he develops, I’m sure he’ll become a top centre back.

Ekeke

Ben White of Brighton. Good, young ball-playing defender who could give us 8 years or so if he doesn’t get injured Got absolutely done by Rashford in the 2nd game but he generally hardly puts a foot wrong and can pick a pass as well as many midfielders and wingers.

He was also the best defender in the Championship last season, which was the first time he played at any serious level. His level hasn’t dropped in the PL and as he develops, I’m sure he’ll become a top centre back.
Not even Brighton's best CB

CM

We get to free up 80k per week in wages, while upgrading on him, so we will still have 5 senior centre backs, which is enough depth I think. Not really any point of having 6 or 7 CBs, especially when we have good young ones like Mengi coming through.

Also, small sample size, but let’s be honest, we’ve all watched Konsa and White loads this season, and their level has been higher than Bailly’s has ever been. They’re 3 years younger than Bailly too. Of course though, Konate and Kounde should be first choice.
Disagree with that sentiment. Lindelof would be the only reliable backup if the new CB or Maguire got injured. You said yourself that Tuanzebe and Jones would be the worst backup pairing in the league so we should be striving for better than that if we want to challenge on all fronts. If nothing else, a new contract to Bailly gives us a bit more security if we do look to eventually sell him. We'd get peanuts as things stand.

Realistically Tuanzebe should go. He's a likeable character but he needs to be playing football at his age, and hasn't exactly grasped the opportunities he's had this season. Mengi will need at least another year on loan too before getting thrown into the first team picture.

White looks very average to me, to be honest. Konsa might have a bit more about him but I still think there's a large gap to bridge between being solid for Villa and a team with aspirations of going for the league.

Rocknrolla69er

Do we keep making the mistake of extending contracts on the basis of not wanting to lose them on a free, but on the flip side the players overly inflated wages mean we can't sell them anyway?

Seems we're stuck in a vicious circle with this.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Bailly has been unavailable for more games and more days on average each season than Phil Jones. Not sure what guarantees he can possibly expect?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Its a shame that injuries have blighted his tenure here, on his day probably the best cb we have. Expect to replace him with a player who will make Maguire seem a decent cb (hes not)

ROFLUTION

Eugh, not his biggest fan. But I guess it leaves more money for upgrading with other transfers.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
In my opinion he is our best CB, but his injuries certainly hamper his sustainability in the team.
If he does sign a four year deal, then I don't think we will be signing a CB this summer.
In four years, hopefully at least one of Fish, Mengi and Kambwala will have progressed enough to be part of the first team squad.

Raw

Half of that extension will be on the injury table. Can't wait. Gonna be great.

Though honestly I don't think CB is a huge priority anyway. Clearly our attack and midfield needs work.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Eric should be happy he's getting a contract extension and I assume a little bump-up in salary. Per minutes played/paid, he has got to be one of the highest-paid player in the squad. 100 appearances in 5 seasons is truly abysmal.

Water Melon

This is gonna be fun. Hope he is capable of playing at least 30 games a season and 10 games in a row. This will make him a half fit CB.

Oddboy

Eric should be happy he's getting a contract extension and I assume a little bump-up in salary. Per minutes played/paid, he has got to be one of the highest-paid player in the squad. 100 appearances in 5 seasons is truly abysmal.
feck that, he should be getting it cut by half and be happy with it. Wish I could miss 50% of my work a year and still get paid in full ...

largelyworried

Probably sensible to keep him as a backup, but United have such a godawful track record of getting stuck with players that I’m kind of wary about giving him another contract to be honest.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Gone are the days of earning a contract. All about protecting value. I can see the sense in it but just feels you don't need to do much to get a contract at this club. You just need to be under 30.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’d rather we let him go and picked up a bit of a fee, especially if we could bring in Varane.

Maguire - Varane

Lindelof - Taunzebe

That should be more than enough throughout a season, especially with the likes of Mengi coming through.

R'hllor

We never learn ffs
Makes sense just like in Jones case :lol:. Also how people can say, it would hard to replace him, i mean, a fit Sunday league player would be more of use.

Oranges038

feck that, he should be getting it cut by half and be happy with it. Wish I could miss 50% of my work a year and still get paid in full ...

My thoughts exactly, to even suggest he should be getting more money is laughable, pay as you play deal is what they should be offering him if anything. This is all about protecting an asset, nothing more.

I don't think he should be getting a new deal at all. Fcuk him, barely fit, only has the odd decent game, can't be carrying players like that. Out the door.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Good decision. He's a decent player and gives us a different option against pacey strikers.

Strats

Ability wise I think he’s one of the top 2 center backs we have.

However, renewing his contract when he is constantly fecking injured is ridiculous. As other stated, we never learn.

Jev

Guess that rules out a CB signing this summer. I'm actually fine with that, as I think a top-class striker/right-winger/CM would give us a bigger lift.

Lindelöf-Maguire is a solid enough pairing and if Bailly could somehow stay fit for an entire season, I think him and Maguire could become a great one.

R'hllor

He cant even be a backup, its not like he gets 100% fit and we put him in cryofreezer after, pull him out, put in microwave when we need him. He has to train, you cant count on him to be fit when you need him.

Ekeke

Great record when hes played this season and has been availabnle a lot more often. He could have played a lot more games but Ole likes Lindelof instead. Obviously the past 2 or 3 seasons havent been good enough but he's done enough this season to be an asset