Man United begin contract talks with Eric Bailly

RUCK4444

Could see this coming from a mile off. Should be moved on however it does depend on what exactly our transfer plans are this summer.

If we decide not to sign a CB or the player we wanted doesn't materialise then replacing Bailly would have been a problem.

That said I think he needs to find a bit of steel and play through some of these injuries. I mean I can't remember any of them being major injuries? Seems like he get's a run of games and then drops out with minor strains or niggles. I honestly look at the likes of Maguire and Lindelof and think they play through the same sort of injuries. I could be wrong but it's the feeling I get.

Infra-red

He's not reliable and not happy with being a backup. Probably the worst possible person to have as a "reliable backup".

It's Phil Jones contract extension all over again - an utterly pointless waste of money.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Nothing changes. This is literally laughable.

Bailly and Jones get contract renewal after contract renewal and yet we are lucky to get 5-10 games out of each of them a season.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
:lol:

This is why we won't make any good transfers, because renewing a contract with Bailly or Jones is just like "signing a new player".

Laughable.

Bailly has been here for five years and Jones has been here for 10 years! :lol:

We need to think about a testimonial for him :lol:

Brophs

The One and Only
We need to preserve his value that no one will ever be willing to pay.

A bit of a nothing event. He usually does about 15-20 games a season and he is a good player when he's fit, which is more than can be said for Jones. We don't need to add a backup CB to our ever growing list of transfer needs this summer.

Robertd0803

A bit of a nothing event. He usually does about 15-20 games a season and he is a good player when he's fit, which is more than can be said for Jones. We don't need to add a backup CB to our ever growing list of transfer needs this summer.
My worry is that this is instead of a first choice centre back this summer.

Also not sure how effective he is a back up considering hes always injured.

I see him as a competition for Tuanzebe. Both physically impressive, both very good natural footballers, both a bit brainless at times. Between them they provide good cover.

Neither should get in the way of finding a starting centre back.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
How predictable. We should have gotten rid 2 - 3 years ago, instead we are offering him a new contract.

Smores

I see him as a competition for Tuanzebe. Both physically impressive, both very good natural footballers, both a bit brainless at times. Between them they provide good cover.

Neither should get in the way of finding a starting centre back.
We're not going to pay those wages for 5 CBs and i doubt he'd be signing if he was 4th choice.

We need cover that is actually fit when others are injured and Bailly can't be relied upon

48 hours

Well I expect this will go the same way as it did when Jones and Rojo both got new, long term contracts. I look forward to his 30 appearances in the next 4 years

Tony247

What are the odds that he is fit when Ole wants him on the pitch?

In my POV, there is no such thing as a backup. Everyone should be fit (as much as possible) so that the manager always has options to choose 11 and bench.

Shark

@NotShark
He's not reliable but a very good CB when fit. I can only put a new contract down to the club believing he can get over his injury woes.

Marcus

We can never have too many CB. This seems like one of the most injury prone positions. Not a surprise really. With all the body contortions just to prevent a goal. Also CB are usually one of tallest players and so this also adds to injuries I suppose.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It seemed we have learnt our lessons. Thank god for jon Murtough

Last edited:

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I assume he will be taking a significant pay cut, in line with his status in the squad?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I assume he will be taking a significant pay cut, in line with his status in the squad?
Hopefully its signifigantly linked to game time - if he can establish himself back in the first team no issue paying him the wages that warrents - if hes going to be keeping phil jones company in the physo's room then hopefully the basic wage will be low enough to reflect that also... if hes confident that he can get back to the standards required to be a first team player and maintain that then great ... if not then go elsewhere

Sadly i suspect woody is gonna gash up negotiations as per usual

Godfather

Of course it is. Same with our desperate attempt of extending Cavani. We won't spend big this summer.

Whatsername

This is why we won't make any good transfers, because renewing a contract with Bailly or Jones is just like "signing a new player".

Laughable.

Didn‘t Jones say he didn’t want a testimonial because no one would turn up?
Probably including himself in that, he’d no doubt be injured and in the treatment room.

Trex

Are the likes of Milenkovic, J. Anderson or Torres any better, I think united fans really underrate it's center back department.

Okey

We just never like to let players go do we? What's the point in keeping a player who's hardly ever fit? Just get rid. Not like he's an irreplaceable world beater. Does my head in.

binary bot
Pretty content with him getting a contract providing we buy a new CB.

El Jefe

4th CB means you are unlikely to play especially given how non-injury prone Maguire and Lindelof are. Bailly is obviously signing the contract not to be 4th CB.
I think that's exactly what he'll be signing as if he signs the contract. I still think we'll be in for a CB this summer and whoever we bring in will be a 2nd or 3rd choice at worst.

We've always had 4/5 CB options and this will be the case again next season. Liverpool this season and City last season showed how injuries or being light in CB options can be detrimental to a season.

Maguire
New CB
Lindelof
Bailly
Tuanzebe(if not on loan)/Matic/McT

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think that's exactly what he'll be signing as if he signs the contract. I still think we'll be in for a CB this summer and whoever we bring in will be a 2nd or 3rd choice at worst.

We've always had 4/5 CB options and this will be the case again next season. Liverpool this season and City last season showed how injuries or being light in CB options can be detrimental to a season.

Maguire
New CB
Lindelof
Bailly
Tuanzebe(if not on loan)/Matic/McT
Unfortunately. We are no longer in for CB if he signs the contract. There is no reason to offer a player a new contract if we are going to sign a new one. Liverpool this season only had 3 CB options originally, we have 4 already if Bailly signs. It’s like how we offered Mata new contract because we couldn’t sign Sancho in 2019 and offered Matic new contract because we won’t sign a DM last summer.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Are the likes of Milenkovic, J. Anderson or Torres any better, I think united fans really underrate it's center back department.
It's his fitness not his quality that's the concern. So yes all of these are probably better because they can play a series of games without breaking.

demongod

Terrible decision, gonna be a huge waste of money for a sicknote thats not available when needed.

We're not going to pay those wages for 5 CBs and i doubt he'd be signing if he was 4th choice.

We need cover that is actually fit when others are injured and Bailly can't be relied upon
What are the odds that he is fit when Ole wants him on the pitch?

In my POV, there is no such thing as a backup. Everyone should be fit (as much as possible) so that the manager always has options to choose 11 and bench.
Usually you have a backup who is always fit but isn't quite as good as the starting players. We should have one of those, if not two. Bailly is a bit different in that he is every bit as good as the starting players, when fit. I'm happy to keep him around at a low enough cost because he gives us a rotation option we would not have otherwise.

el3mel

Will it be really 4 years contract? 4 fecking years? Didn't we make the same mistake with Jones 2 years ago? Do we ever learn?

Judas

Open to offers
I don't actually think he's THAT perfect when he's fit, we've really never seen him with a proper long run of games, probably never will, he's more than capable of brain farts, daft decisions and being a total mad man. You would think he's Paolo Maldini with the way he's spoken about. He is in theory one of our best defenders, but the bar is low.

Red For Ever

Laughable.

At least he would get a game in his own testimonial, ( assuming he's not injured )

ghagua

Jones contract all over again. Injury-prone and not good enough yet we're giving him a new contract to protect the possibility of him walking away on a free transfer. Eat the loss and let him walk!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
More comparable to Rojo really, Jones is a special case all on his own.

Solskjær's Red Army

Supports
United & Rot-Weiss Essen
Great news. I hope he stays injury free and Ole uses him more instead of Lindelöf. He's better than him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
meh, would have preferred to move him on, but he's a great CB on his day, so not really an issue for me.