Man United begin contract talks with Eric Bailly

arthurka

Absolutely ridiculous this, he is never fit so don´t see why we are doing this. This club never learns.

crossy1686

career ending
Well I for one think we should let him leave on a free.

That way, when every club in the world realises we only have 2 CB's they'll be really kind to us and offer us their best CB's at knocked down prices.

dove

Shambolic decision but I guess somebody needs to keep our medical staff busy :lol:

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Stupid Idea, he can be a great player when fit, but we need players who can actually play.

We need to stop just handing out contracts, massive wastage on wages is one of the biggest failings of the Woodward era and needs to end, especially during a period when the club is likely going to need to tighten its belt due to the economic mess football is in!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When he is fit and available....which has been hardly ever in the Five Years here.
If he's not first choice why is that so important? He's available when we need him usually. You have to have squad players and you can't find them much better than Bailly.

slored1

Feck sake, we never learn. We're the most incompetent club out of the top 4.

Drifter

American
Think he could go on to be a great defender for us. But that is only if he can stay fit.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
How many times? Goes beyond insanity at this point.

Marwood

The only reason I can see this happening is that we already have enough to do this summer in terms of transfers.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Even when he's fit he's unable to play games consistently in succession.
Such a United move.

SATA

What was his best record in playing successive games? 6 in a row? I don’t remember him being so injury prone when he first arrived, whatever happened to him?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
We're owned by Glazers, its no surprise they show a preference to players that are made of glass.

Do you see what I did there?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Oh well no CB signing it seems. Another year of seeing Victor Iceman Lindelof playing CB for us.

fergosaurus

Unlike Jones at least he's useful on the rare occasions he is fit. However a four year contract is a bit mad.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just an absolute annoyance that Baily is the perfect partner for a CB like Maguire.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

We never learn ffs
Typical of us. Scared to lose our 'asset'. Bailly is great on his day but at one of the biggest clubs on the planet you need more than the one good game every few months.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's played 37 league games in 5 years.
That's because he isn't first choice obviously. He's been fit a lot of this season and been on the bench.

Unless we are getting a first team defender to replace Lindelof we might as well keep him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This is gonna be fun. Hope he is capable of playing at least 30 games a season and 10 games in a row. This will make him a half fit CB.
Other than his first season (38), every season since he has averaged less than 16 matches per season. Getting anything more than 20 a season is progress.

El Jefe

I’d rather we let him go and picked up a bit of a fee, especially if we could bring in Varane.

Maguire - Varane

Lindelof - Taunzebe

That should be more than enough throughout a season, especially with the likes of Mengi coming through.
I'd take Bailly over Axel anyday. They're both always injured so give me the better defender. Tuanzebe has yet to prove he's good enough to be our 4th CB imo.

Jezpeza

I'd take Bailly over Axel anyday. They're both always injured so give me the better defender. Tuanzebe has yet to prove he's good enough to be our 4th CB imo.
both unreliable. Imagine maguire gets injured. Then both of the weetabix get injured as soon as they play and we have lindelof and mctominay at centre half

EdinburghDevil

Bailly looks like he could be a fantastic player, but his injury record is not one you can build a team around and I don't think we should be dishing out 4 year contracts to 27 years olds who are squad players.

I'd rather see Axel and Mengi get the game time to aid their development. I suspect another loan spell for Axel will be on the cards next season, especially if Bailly signs an extension.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There is some logic in retaining, though. As of right now we have the following:

Maguire; Lindelof*; Bailly; Tuanzebe; Jones.

That's two reliable CB's. Jones is a total non-entity, Tuanzebe and Bailly are as injury prone as each other. Mengi will go back on loan to Derby, or elsewhere.
* = And Lindelof himself was/has been playing through a back injury for most of the year.

I'm assuming we want: Maguire, Lindelof; New CB; Bailly; Tuanzebe.

Would it be better to just let him go, have the new CB, and then replace Bailly next year? Probably. But we don't do things the smart way when it comes to selling or retaining players. See Nemanja Matic (contracted for another 2 seasons) and Juan Mata (has the possibility for an additional year).

Havak

Pokemon master
Unfortunately, I think he is literally going to replace Phil Jones as our 5th CB who is just always injured.

Hopefully, he can get over the injury troubles, but we still need to finally let Phil go and sign another CB to partner Maguire. Let Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Bailly fight for a place on the bench and play some cup games until they decide they want more than that. If they are good enough, they will surely secure an important place in the squad or even first 11. Ole will give them some opportunity IMO, but he clearly wants a settled and trusted CB pairing and I agree with him on that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We won't sign a new centre back then.

Moving to improve attacker and midfield area. To be fair, we have too many 0-0 draws. Attacking and creative areas need improvement.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
4th CB means you are unlikely to play especially given how non-injury prone Maguire and Lindelof are. Bailly is obviously signing the contract not to be 4th CB.

Devil81

I think we've looked miles better at the back with Henderson communicating with them. So much so I think we have changed our summer planning around this fact.

RW, CM and potentially a striker.

Bailly is a profit of circumstances, we can't afford to replace him this summer so a new contract and hopefully a bit more luck with injuries and we have a decent back up. Axel looks content with being at the club as an understudy as well so the four of Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly and Axel are what we will go with into the new season.