Man United begin contract talks with Eric Bailly

pascell

27, locked into a contract for 3+1 years, played 100 games in 5 season and he's injury prone. Well done for all involved in getting him to sign, major coup.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
No one ever moan about us being inefficient again.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This is the most stupid thing since Jones was given a long term contract. I said it back then and I'll say it now. The club had learnt nothing from Jones's and Sanchez saga. It also reveals what I always feared...ie Jon Murtough is just a moron. He's been involved throughout this 8 tragic years and despite all of that he was still promoted.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
This is the most stupid thing since Jones was given a long term contract. I said it back then and I'll say it now. The club had learnt nothing from Jones's and Sanchez saga. It also reveals what I always feared...ie Jon Murtough is just a moron. He's been involved throughout this 8 tragic years and despite all of that he was still promoted.
The irony

devilish

There was a genuine risk we’d lose both him and Axel this summer which would have been too much for uncertainty so happy he’s signed.
So what? Both are incredibly injury prone and quite frankly they are not good enough. Why should we keep on giving long term contracts to protect the value of players no one would want to touch even with a barge pole? This is no different to when we gave a long term contract to Jones. How that worked out for us?

SATA

The Caf moans about Bailly extending his contract while at the same time moaning why United didn’t try to sign another sicknote In Konate while praising the dippers did :houllier:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I used to think we’d only take such decisions to protect any resale value, but I know better these days :lol:

Don’t actually mind Bailly as a player but he’s not fit often enough imo.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
So what? Both are incredibly injury prone and quite frankly they are not good enough. Why should we keep on giving long term contracts to protect the value of players no one would want to touch even with a barge pole? This is no different to when we gave a long term contract to Jones. How that worked out for us?
He’s had his best season in years this year. You say so what - both Axel and Bailly had 1 year left on their deals. Replacing both whilst also signing the other players we need was going to be very difficult. He’s going to be 4th choice unless he finally steps up - everyone fecking chill.

Judas

Open to offers
Actually didn't realise he was 27! :lol: granted it was only his birthday last week, but 3+1 for a bloke who's been injured most of his career, it's not as if he's suddenly going to get healthy now is he. This club does make me laugh. But its to be expected, I think we all knew he'd get a new deal.

SAFMUTD

I guess people complaining about Baillys renewal think we can afford a RW, CDM, ST and CB this covid season.

We need to prioritize, RW and CDM are absolute musts. Then depending on weather Cavani stays or not then a ST. Having Tuanzabe and Jones as back ups who both are injury prone means we would've been forced to spend on a new CB, a cheap one at least hence less money to spend on the RW and CDM.

devilish

I used to think we’d only take such decisions to protect any resale value, but I know better these days :lol:

Don’t actually mind Bailly as a player but he’s not fit often enough imo.
No one wants injury prone players unless they're brilliant. So what will happen now is that Bailly will sit on his contract just as Phil Jones is doing. When Ole asks for a new CB that he's already have 5 CB (Maguire, Lindelof, Tuanzebe, Jones and Bailly) and he won't be allowed to buy unless he sells first. Good luck finding buyers for the likes of Jones or Bailly.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Glazernomics. 'Protect the asset'. Worked really well with Jones and Rojo.

For all the talk about signing Varane I would be shocked if United now went and signed a centre back. It'll be all the same old s-t about how you can't justify signing a centre back when you already have five in the first team squad. :rolleyes:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
No one wants injury prone players unless they're brilliant. So what will happen now is that Bailly will sit on his contract just as Phil Jones is doing. When Ole asks for a new CB that he's already have 5 CB (Maguire, Lindelof, Tuanzebe, Jones and Bailly) and he won't be allowed to buy unless he sells first. Good luck finding buyers for the likes of Jones or Bailly.
Yep, I agree, hence the smiley in my post, mocking that sentiment. Especially when a player is mostly injured.

Leg-End

If he gets himself fit and stays fit then I’m actually good with this but still, fair fecks to his agent.

devilish

He’s had his best season in years this year. You say so what - both Axel and Bailly had 1 year left on their deals. Replacing both whilst also signing the other players we need was going to be very difficult. He’s going to be 4th choice unless he finally steps up - everyone fecking chill.
He played just 17 games for us this season and he has an injury history which is as long as an arm. We've got Lindelof, Maguire and 3 crocks who quite frankly are nowhere near as good to play for this club. If this club is so skint not to add a CB then we should get one on the cheap or give Bailly a short term contract. How many years must pass before players will be stopped from taking us for a ride?

el3mel

Bailly played only 15 matches this season including only 8 in the league. He doesn't need replacing. He barely even plays anyway. A CB from the academy will probably be more useful at this point.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The people defending this decision are the same sort of people who defended Jones's contract in 2019. They look stupid now and nothing different will happen here.

The manager doesn't rate him, doesn't play him and even if he's got a good game or two, he's straight out of the team. This is more Glazernomics for gullible fools.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He's a good player when fit and I seen Ole say that he's improved a lot since he first arrived which is true. I don't mind it as long as it doesn't stop us from signing another centre back in the summer.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Bailly played only 15 matches this season including only 8 in the league. He doesn't need replacing. He barely even plays anyway. A CB from the academy will probably be more useful at this point.
I’d prefer Axel stay too but unfortunately we need an upgrade on Lindelof which would keep Axel 4th choice. He needs to leave for the good of his career.

devilish

The people defending this decision are the same sort of people who defended Jones's contract in 2019. They look stupid now and nothing different will happen here.

The manager doesn't rate him, doesn't play him and even if he's got a good game or two, he's straight out of the team. This is more Glazernomics for gullible fools.
What people fail to appreciate is that our wage budget has a limit. We already have 5 CBs, 3 of which are basically useless. Ole will probably not be allowed to buy the CB he needs unless he sells first. Good luck getting rid of Jones and Bailly after signing those long term contracts

el3mel

I’d prefer Axel stay too but unfortunately we need an upgrade on Lindelof which would keep Axel 4th choice. He needs to leave for the good of his career.
But I'm not talking about Axel. I'm just saying giving a new 3+1 contract to Bailly is dumb. We don't need to replace him, he barely even plays, it's like saying we'll need to replace Jones when he leaves or something.

Jezpeza

27, locked into a contract for 3+1 years, played 100 games in 5 season and he's injury prone. Well done for all involved in getting him to sign, major coup.
its like rojo and phil jones all over again. Just as you think you can cut the deadweight crock loose they do this. Might make it to 150 games by the next renewal

devilish

its like rojo and phil jones all over again. Just as you think you can cut the deadweight crock loose they do this. Might make it to 150 games by the next renewal
But but but we've got Jon Murtough as DOF now. He's a proper football man and not David Woodward's stooge.

Djemba-Djemba

Stupid fecking decision.

He's never fit and we're now stuck with him for another 4 years.

Why do we keep doing this?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What people fail to appreciate is that our wage budget has a limit. We already have 5 CBs, 3 of which are basically useless. Ole will probably not be allowed to buy the CB he needs unless he sells first. Good luck getting rid of Jones and Bailly after signing those long term contracts
And of course we'd be asking for some stupidly unrealistic fees for Bailly (sell Jones for a packet of gummie bears). But we don't appreciate that what we'll 'lose' on the fee, we'll save on wages.

This is not a football club any more, it's a badly run public company for billionaires to drain as a cash cow.

Judas

Open to offers
People can make all the excuses in the world, explain it away, but this isn't much of a better decision than the one the club made with Jones. This will only look a worse deal as the years go by.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
But I'm not talking about Axel. I'm just saying giving a new 3+1 contract to Bailly is dumb. We don't need to replace him, he barely even plays, it's like saying we'll need to replace Jones when he leaves or something.
Right. Except that’s wrong isn’t it? He’s played whilst Lindelof has been injured numerous times this year. So he has been important. He’s also been very good in most of those games. It is very likely Axel is leaving this summer. He will be replaced by a first choice CB. This will make Bailly 4th choice. We don’t need a world class 4th choice Cb. When fit he’s usually very dependable. He gets on with the squad and is good for the dressing room. Keeping him provided he’s happy to be 4th choice is a no brainier. This entire forum is a moan fest. Two weeks ago we had people moaning Bailly wasn’t first choice now we have people moaning he isn’t being released on a free. Moan. That’s all you feckers do.

RUCK4444

If he gets himself fit and stays fit then I’m actually good with this but still, fair fecks to his agent.
I don't think it's his agent's good work, if that were the case then Phil Jones must have the best agent known to man.

We just give stupid contract renewals out left, right and centre. This isn't anywhere near the worst that we've done though. Like I said earlier, replacing Bailly in the summer wouldn't be cheap and a lot depends on what our priorities are in the summer.

DoomSlayer

I'm okay with the decision, because I like Bailly as a player and personality, but I do as well fear the Glazers will slash our transfer budget to almost 0 after the recent events. So we might need to rely on the players we have.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Some people in here!

It's not like he's a first choice CB and can do more than a job when he plays, in fact we've looked our best with him in and around the squad this season.

Sounds like a top personality in the changing room, and will be a great help for someone like Amad. Chill.

Djemba-Djemba

We tried to keep Ashley fecking Young last year by offering him a new contract.

It's infuriating how hard we fight to keep hold of utter deadwood.

devilish

And of course we'd be asking for some stupidly unrealistic fees for Bailly (sell Jones for a packet of gummie bears). But we don't appreciate that what we'll 'lose' on the fee, we'll save on wages.

This is not a football club any more, it's a badly run public company for billionaires to drain as a cash cow.
Struggling clubs might consider giving Bailly a second chance if he was a free agent and he is desperate enough (as a free agent) to lower his salary demands. They wouldn't want to pay a fee for an injury prone player whose quite frankly is not a very good player. Also why should he lower his salary demands now that he's got a long term contract? The only reason why we give these players long term contracts is to shut the manager's mouth up. He won't be able to complain about lack of bodies in defence since he's already got 5 CBs.

Djemba-Djemba

Some people in here!

It's not like he's a first choice CB and can do more than a job when he plays, in fact we've looked our best with him in and around the squad this season.

Sounds like a top personality in the changing room, and will be a great help for someone like Amad. Chill.
He's never fit though. You want your backup defenders to be reliable and he isn't in any way shape or form.

12 league appearances in the last 2 seasons is pathetic.

Jezpeza

Struggling clubs might consider giving Bailly a second chance if he was a free agent and he is desperate enough (as a free agent) to lower his salary demands. They wouldn't want to pay a fee for an injury prone player whose quite frankly is not a very good player. Also why should he lower his salary demands now that he's got a long term contract? The only reason why we give these players long term contracts is to shut the manager's mouth up. He won't be able to complain about lack of bodies in defence since he's already got 5 CBs.
Agreed but jones axel and bailly are all made of weetabix. We have 2, really. None of those 3 could play 10 consecutive matches without a long term injury, they are all crocked. And what fergie said with crocked players is their mentality goes and every knock makes them want to have 2 months out when others in the team would just run it off