Man Utd podcast: Ander Herrera

red thru&thru

But what a great interview. Surely a sign of changing of the guard. I mean when have we ever seen someone speak so negatively about the club, under the Glazer ownership, through their official channel?

GueRed

Decent midfielder when fit and good character...

During his time at United he was terribly overrated though. Pogba FC and Martial FC levels.

The way some fans spoke of Herrera you'd think he was like a Bryan Robson mk2

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What I learned is that Pexbo really despises Ander.

Decent midfielder when fit and good character...
I’d add “when fit and in form”, he had big spells of being a bit shite, spells of doing absolutely nothing other than passing the buck, and some good spells.
All in all a really underwhelming signing, I had such high hopes; however as you say, the way some talk, you’d think it was Paul Ince they are talking about.
Here’s a guy who managed 2 appearances for Spain, just 58 appearances for PSG in 3 seasons (19 games a season), and just 140 starts for us in 5 years (28 starts a season in al comps).
He had one good season for us in 5. Whoop de fecking do.

I also recall him winning our player of the season one year. Team was a shambles, so it’s not saying much but he’s won it anyway. So there’s that.
Was also a ridiculous award from the fans, due to him always saying the right things. Zlatan was clearly our best player that season.

Zlatan pretty much single handedly won us the league cup. He scored 28 in 46, and once he got injured, we barely scraped past Celta Vigo and won just 2 of our last seven games in the league, Ander played 6 of those 7 and was absent for one of the wins so his league 6 games in the league we won one! Oh, and he was fecking shite v Celta Vigo where Rashford first and then Fellaini were the heroes so…
Player of the Year my arse. Fan arse kisser of the year no doubt.

Last edited:

Robertd0803

Im not buying it.

Too many holes in the story.

Said all the right things and no denying his feelings for the club but he wasnt really ever that good to begin with sadly.

Its not as if its Ronaldo leaving in 2009 levels of regret from the majority of fans when he left.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Was also a ridiculous award from the fans, due to him always saying the right things. Zlatan was clearly our best player that season.

Zlatan pretty much single handedly won us the league cup. He scored 28 in 46, and once he got injured, we barely scraped past Celta Vigo and won just 2 of our last seven games in the league, Ander played 6 of those 7 and was absent for one of the wins so his league 6 games in the league we won one! Oh, and he was fecking shite v Celta Vigo where Rashford first and then Fellaini were the heroes so…
Player of the Year my arse. Fan arse kisser of the year no doubt.
Yeah, I get that was up for debate and I stated as much in my post (“team was a shambles at times”) but the guy had the right attitude on the pitch and always acted professionally off it IMO. And he still won the award, debatable or not.

Yeah, I get that was up for debate and I stated as much in my post (“team was a shambles at times”) but the guy had the right attitude on the pitch and always acted professionally off it IMO. And he still won the award, debatable or not.
Absolutely. Although I’d argue the right attitude only really arrived with Mourinho, and he was still the guys who got manhandled off a pitch by Mark Noble ffs. Under LVG he was so incredibly underwhelming a player, his attitude, his play, it was all a bit “meh”.
2016-17 really skews many people’s memories of him, because we finally won a couple of pots and he was more likeable than the other main players that season (Zlatan & Pogba). In reality he had a good season, nothing more, nothing less, and it was his only genuinely good one in his entire time at United.

Its funny you mention Javier Hernandez as he's actually been known to be fake and a massive twat for a while now.

He started hanging around with some life coach and basically became an egotistical Ronaldo-lite. There are reports of him being a problem at Leverkusen and West Ham and when he went to LA he refused to speak to his teammates other than one or two other Mexicans. I have some friends of friends who play/played in LA and they can't stand him, no one can. So far up his own ass and incredibly rude to anyone below him. He even ruined his god-like status in Mexico by being a cnut. During a camp he threw a party with hookers and then refused to accept any responsibility blaming loads of other people and even got some regular workers fired over it. Then took 3 years to apologize, conveniently right before the World Cup thinking he'd get called up but he wasn't because Tata could see right through him and he causes so much trouble. Then there are the claims from his ex-wife that he refused to install safety railings around their pool to protect their children because they didn't fit the aesthetic and in general was a completely absent father. No surprises for when he released his crying sob story of how he was sorry for being a terrible husband/father/person.

Couldn't care for either of them personally, both fairly average players who have dined off being "passionate" despite Hernandez actually being a twat and Herrera chasing the money.
Christ, thanks for casually ruining Chicharito for me, mate :lol:

Shai-Hulud

Was always crazy how he was player of the season and then replaced that very summer and sent to the bench by matic. Could've at least tried to build around a midfield 3 with Pogba, Herrera and Matic, but they never went for it.
Mourinho was a bit of a twat. He looked at Martial being in his life's best form on the LW and promptly tried to replace him in the XI with an aging Alexis.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Absolutely. Although I’d argue the right attitude only really arrived with Mourinho, and he was still the guys who got manhandled off a pitch by Mark Noble ffs. Under LVG he was so incredibly underwhelming a player, his attitude, his play, it was all a bit “meh”.
2016-17 really skews many people’s memories of him, because we finally won a couple of pots and he was more likeable than the other main players that season (Zlatan & Pogba). In reality he had a good season, nothing more, nothing less, and it was his only genuinely good one in his entire time at United.
I’d argue our opinions (mine included), might even be more skewed because the bar has been set so incredibly low - not least so with the signings which have followed him. Have we signed the quality of an Eriksen, Casemiro back then, he’d probably have been semi-forgotten, but because we’ve been tortured with McFred, saw an inconsistent Pogba, a past-his-prime Matic…it’s made us almost romanticise Herrera and to an extent, Fellaini :lol:

Sad, I know.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Herrera done the same thing as Pogba, knew he was leaving and didnt say anything until May about leaving, stringing the club along. He ran his contract down knowing what the offer was from United and what he could get elsewhere, this is intentional.
Any player that loves the club would have signed the deal and stayed or at least rejected it and stated their ambitions to leave
He has signed a pre-contract with PSG in April, it’s hardly “stringing the club along” until May? It wasn’t a covert operation that left anyone surprised. Well, maybe Woody was.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
He has signed a pre-contract with PSG in April, it’s hardly “stringing the club along” until May? It wasn’t a covert operation that left anyone surprised. Well, maybe Woody was.
He might have signed it in April but they were negotiating way before then, he had no intentions of signing the contract United offered over 12 months previously. Why not announce he wasnt staying? Simple terms, so he could stay in the first team, Pogba done the same thing and ran his contract down.
If he had communicated to United he wanted to leave before January we might have been able to get a fee for him to leave in January, hence stringing the club along part.

The interview is crocodile tears and not sure what the goal of it is, maybe jumping on the bandwagon of pointless interviews ala Harry and Meghan.

padzilla

Hipster
I still find it astonishing that didn't spark a mass brawl. It shows how little his teammates valued him or also shows how little of a team spirit there was.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I think it's telling that the only stand out memory most have of Herrera is that he once man marked Hazard out of a game.
Getting Gerard sent off and him and Mata, along with Carrick, putting on a masterclass for Juanfield was the top moment for me.

He also got sent off by that idiot Michael Oliver for team fouls at Stamford Bridge but afterwards we smashed them in the FA cup 2-0, with him assisting Pogba for a headed goal. Probably our best performance there since SAF left.

And it's not like we had a ton of great moments to select from in those years.

led_scholes

He came, did a decent job, and left. Nothing player really, not good enough for a United midfield but also didn't stink out the place like a Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger.

For all the criticism Fellaini gets/got, I think he was a better signing than Herrera.
The one ended in China because no one wanted him and the other one in PSG. Herrera was miles better as a player and as a transfer than Fellaini.

crossy1686

career ending
Getting Gerard sent off and him and Mata, along with Carrick, putting on a masterclass for Juanfield was the top moment for me.

He also got sent off by that idiot Michael Oliver for team fouls at Stamford Bridge but afterwards we smashed them in the FA cup 2-0, with him assisting Pogba for a headed goal. Probably our best performance there since SAF left.

And it's not like we had a ton of great moments to select from in those years.
For me they’re few and far between and they mostly involve him being a spoiler than anything else

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
For me they’re few and far between and they mostly involve him being a spoiler than anything else
That was his exact role though and he did it quite well. He could also actually pass the ball, in addition to having good energy and winding up the oppo players.

Criticizing him for not being a sparkling player is like criticising Carrick for not scoring more.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Don’t get the love. He was bang average for 5 years and then left.

crossy1686

career ending
That was his exact role though and he did it quite well. He could also actually pass the ball, in addition to having good energy and winding up the oppo players.

Criticizing him for not being a sparkling player is like criticising Carrick for not scoring more.
He joined us as a box to box with a fair share of assists, that quickly fizzled out, which probably wasn’t his fault and more to do with the role he played, but my point is his only big moments were that of the spoiler role.

Brophs

The One and Only
I’ve never really understood the reverence for him. He’s a decent player. No more than that. Every manager in his time at the club reached that conclusion, too.

Gums

Don’t get the love. He was bang average for 5 years and then left.
Maybe one day you’ll be fortunate enough to understand that there’s more to judging and evaluating people than their job performance.

Real Name

Yeah, the club was badly run but what was the problem in offering him a contract wih one year left exactly?

As someone said it if he wished to stay that timing wouldn't have been a problem.

F-Red

Maybe one day you’ll be fortunate enough to understand that there’s more to judging and evaluating people than their job performance.
I don’t know many other metrics that we should judge players on to be honest? Their job performance is all that matters in professional sport.

Flexdegea

One of the few players we shouldn't have moved on or let go, especially Compared to some of the shite we have handed contracts out too over the years.

Would have been perfect for Hag in my opinion.

Always find it strange when people claim he was bang average. Not true at all. Even the passion he played with was enough for a contract extension considering some of the spineless players we have had about since he left.

Gums

I don’t know many other metrics that we should judge players on to be honest? Their job performance is all that matters in professional sport.
In a thread about his UTD podcast people should be able to discuss the topics, no? Easy to just stay away. If somebody hangs up a poster in the town square offering guitar lessons, would you consider calling them and complaining that you don’t want guitar lessons? Just move on if it’s not for you.