Manager draft

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
My tie is a nightmare, ive seen a couple of those guys play and have no way of judging their form
Judging their form shouldn't be too difficult. Just assume they were all awesome, I guess that's a fair description. If you look deeper into it, you'll find stuff like: Puskas scored 50 goals in 32 games when Guttmann was his manager, his best scoring season in his career. In fact he scored 50 of the 82 goals his team scored, which kinda is insane in what was in the late 40's and early 50's arguably the strongest league in Europe.

But as long as you don't start nitpicking, we won't do it either ;). I'm still a bit clueless about your team to be honest, you're going to play a 343/334 right? That should be great, defending is overrated, gung-ho is the way to go :drool: . Should be an exciting match.

Any prefered date to play the game next week? I don't really care when we play it, would prefer it rather soon though, maybe Monday or Tuesday?
@PedroMendez same question for you of course.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Judging their form shouldn't be too difficult. Just assume they were all awesome, I guess that's a fair description. If you look deeper into it, you'll find stuff like: Puskas scored 50 goals in 32 games when Guttmann was his manager, his best scoring season in his career. In fact he scored 50 of the 82 goals his team scored, which kinda is insane in what was in the late 40's and early 50's arguably the strongest league in Europe.

But as long as you don't start nitpicking, we won't do it either ;). I'm still a bit clueless about your team to be honest, you're going to play a 343/334 right? That should be great, defending is overrated, gung-ho is the way to go :drool: . Should be an exciting match.

Any prefered date to play the game next week? I don't really care when we play it, would prefer it rather soon though, maybe Monday or Tuesday?
I hope people focus more on the individual weaknesses of the players and the tactics employed. Going into extra detail about their form etc will take the joy away from discussing the individual match ups and battles on the pitch. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if say Kevin Phillips scored 30 goals in one season... if he's going up against Baresi, he's going to struggle.. so the form under the manager argument will have limited application in my point of view.. unless of course a certain player is totally over the hill by that age, i.e. a Ronaldinho post Barca - then age, form plays a big part.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Also just seen I can only pick one more - Lampard or Marcelo what are peoples thoughts? I currently have Pessotto at Left Back and a midfield of Pirlo/Gattuso/Di Maria so Lampard would be an impact sub.

Realised @Cutch has the United team, going to take one hell of an effort to beat them!

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Also just seen I can only pick one more - Lampard or Marcelo what are peoples thoughts? I currently have Pessotto at Left Back and a midfield of Pirlo/Gattuso/Di Maria so Lampard would be an impact sub.

Realised @Cutch has the United team, going to take one hell of an effort to beat them!
Pessotto is a better defender than Marcelo, but given Beckham's not going to be skinning anyone, it might make sense to get Marcelo on the ball.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'll pick -

Sjaak Swart

Mister Swart -as the fans call him- is the most capped player in Ajax's history, having made 596 appearances. An incredible scorer for a right winger (217 goals), Swart combined pace and technique. He was a key player during Ajax's European Cup threepeat and during 8 Dutch league championships.
Most appearances for Ajax - not the most capped. That would be...I don't know, actually. Van der Sar? Litmanen has loads too.

Anyway, just being a pain-in-the-arse pedant here - but caps are internationals, going back to a long forgotten era when players actually earned a...cap playing for their country.

Alright, pedantry session over. Great teams, great match-ups. Looking forward to all these matches.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Make it Tuesday pal, can't believe I'm playing one of the Lattek sides - ouch haha. Best of luck too!
Sure thing, but it looks like Edgar Allan Pillow and Jayvin are playing on that day. I'm totally fine with whatever day you choose as long as it's Monday or afterwards. Not nice to be playing against the Galacticos as well, great attacking force you possess.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Sure thing, but it looks like Edgar Allan Pillow and Jayvin are playing on that day. I'm totally fine with whatever day you choose as long as it's Monday or afterwards. Not nice to be playing against the Galacticos as well, great attacking force you possess.
Just to keep things moving, pick earliest avaiable date to both of you. If there are multiple matches, so be it. Far less warrisome than delays, imo!

Annahnomoss

Like Edgar says just pick the earliest date possible. Two matches per day is no worries at all.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Hmmmm.

@Gio and @Theon , what time does it suit you guys?

I don't think we should have a game on the weekend because there would be football to watch. Monday or Tuesday is fine by me.
Monday I'm pretty busy but free after 4pm. Tuesday is okay. Wednesday and Thursday aren't good, Friday fine.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'm not a fan of two games on the same day, I like going through a thread and digesting the thoughts of other posters, ups and downs of a game. Any day after Monday mate, I'm flexible. You choose. It really is attack v defence tbh.. but you have the Kaizer! I love that man - footballing god!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I'm not a fan of two games on the same day, I like going through a thread and digesting the thoughts of other posters, ups and downs of a game. Any day after Monday mate, I'm flexible. You choose. It really is attack v defence tbh.. but you have the Kaizer! I love that man - footballing god!
Alright, Wednesday it is then since Monday and Tuesday seems to be taken already. Got to love Beckenbauer :D but hey Ronaldo was probably my favourite player after Scholes.

Monday: MJJ VS Crappy
Tuesday: EAP vs Jayvin, Gio vs The Red Viper
Wednesday: Joga vs Raees

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
We have to play 2 games a day in the first round or else the first round drags on forever. It's usually no problem at all in my opinion, don't think it has influenced the quality of the discussions in any way.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
We have to play 2 games a day in the first round or else the first round drags on forever. It's usually no problem at all in my opinion, don't think it has influenced the quality of the discussions in any way.
Yeah fair enough, think we can make do with 2 games a day.

DanNistelrooy

:lol: Complete opposite for me, I'm off on Monday and busy Tuesday-Thursday. What about Sunday?
:lol: Bugger. I'm travelling up to Old Trafford on Sunday so not great for me. Monday evening to Tuesday evening maybe?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeat. Better send the writeup's as soon as possible to Annah too. That way the match can start and you can pitch in later if delayed.
It sounded like Annah is very busy until Wednesday next week. Maybe someone else should create the match threads? Someone who is at least a few times online during the day, in case we have tactical changes or subs and the op needs to be edited.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"

Tuesday would be best man, I think ill keep my tactics until the match day, seeing as i know virtually nothing about your team to even things up a bit, better get researching :lol: just to be certain do u have a good knowledge of these players i.e strengths and weaknesses? Its just it wont be fair if were led to believe a certain player was lightning quick etc when he wasnt, we all know Eusebio is by the way !

DanNistelrooy

Forgot to make my final pick:

01. Harms:- Giovanni Trapattoni - 1. Platini 2. Scirea 3. Boniek 4. Bergomi 5. Gentile 6. Cuccureddu 7. Benetti 8. P. Rossi 9. Furino 10. Zoff 11. Causio 12. Bettega.

02. AngeloHenriquez/Stobzilla:-
Fabio Capello- 1. F. Baresi 2. Gullit 3. Van Basten 4. Hierro 5. Totti 6. Samuel 7. Emerson 8. Boban 9. Tassotti 10. Candela 11. Sebastiano Rossi 12. Weah.

03. Jayvin:
- Carlo Ancelotti - 1. Davids 2. Kaka 3. Cannavaro 4. Shevchenko 5. Ashley Cole 6. Drogba 7. Thiago Silva 8. G. Buffon 9. Alonso 10. Benarrivo 11. Modric 12. Ambrosini.

04. Paolo Di Canio:-
Louis Van Gaal - 1. Rijkaard 2. Rivaldo 3. Guardiola 4. Ribéry 5. Kluivert 6. Blind 7. Van Bommel 8. Overmars 9 F. De Boer 10. Schweinsteiger 11. Van Der Sar 12. T. Müller.

05. Skizzo:-
Udo Lattek - 1. Maradona 2. G. Müller 3. Breitner 4. Rummenigge 5. Augenthaler 6. Lerby 7. Roth 8. Stielike 9. J. Hansen 10. Simonsen 11. Hannes 12. Pfaff.

06. MJJ:-
Marcello Lippi - 1. R. Baggio 2. Thuram 3. Del Piero 4. Vieri 5. Ferrara 6. Zambrotta 7. Conte 8.Deschamps 9. Zanetti 10. Peruzzi 11. Jugovic 12. Di Livio.

07. Joga Bonito:-
Udo Lattek - 1. Beckenbauer 2. Schuster 3. Vogts 4. Brehme 5. Schwarzenbeck 6. Hoeneß 7. Bonhof 8. Wimmer 9. Maier 10. Heynckes 11. Möller 12. H. Jensen.

08. Balu/PedroMendez:-
Béla Guttmann - 1. Bozsik 2. Puskás 3. C. Maldini 4. Grosics 5. Mauro Ramos 6. Coluna 7. Augusto 8. Eusebio 9. Joya 10. Gonçalves 11. Matosas 12. Caetano.

09. Raees:-
Vicente Del Bosque - 1. Ronaldo 2. Figo 3. M. Laudrup 4. Seedorf 5. Sanchis 6. Helguera 7. L. Enrique 8. Illgner 9. Zamorano 10. Michel 11. Chendo 12. Makelele.

10. Cutch:-
Alex Ferguson - 1. Beckham 2. Stam 3. Van Nistelrooy 4. Cantona 5. Ferdinand 6. Irwin 7. Schmeichel 8. G. Neville 9. Keane 10. Robson 11. Scholes 12. Giggs.

11. Gio/Theon:-
Giovanni Trapattoni - 1. Matthäus 2. Batistuta 3. Tardelli 4. Kohler 5. Cabrini 6. Reuter 7. Klinsmann 8. Passarella 9. Rivera 10. Rui Costa 11. Ferri 12. Zenga.

12. Edgar Allan Pillow:-
Fabio Capello - 1. P. Maldini 2. Nedved 3. Redondo 4. Desailly 5. Savićević 6. Costacurta 7. Albertini 8. Donadoni 9. Panucci 10. Suker 11. Casillas 12. Montero.

13. The Red Viper:-
Pep Guardiola - 1. Lahm 2. Robben 3. Puyol 4. Xavi 5. Iniesta 6. Henry 7. Piqué 8. Busquets 9. Messi 10. Neuer 11. Abidal 12. D. Alves.

14. DanNistelrooy:- Carlo Ancelotti - 1. C. Ronaldo 2. Nesta 3. Pirlo 4. Gattuso 5. Bale 6. Ibrahimovic 7. Di María 8. Terry 9. Ivanović 10. Čech 11. Pessotto 12. Marcelo

15. Annahnomoss:-
Vanderlei Luxemburgo - 1. Zidane 2. Cafu 3. R. Carlos 4. Raul 5. Gamarra 6. Dida 7. Mauro Silva 8. Ze Roberto 9. Mazinho 10. Ronaldinho 11. Ronaldão 12. Romario

16. Crappycraperson:-
Rinus Michels - 1. Migueli 2. Cruyff 3. Neeskens 4. Krol 5. Asensi 6. Haan 7. Suurbier 8. Littbarski 9. Schumacher 10. Vasovic 11. Kiezer 12. Swart

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Fair enough, it is best if the first round is completed asap.

Tuesday would be best man, I think ill keep my tactics until the match day, seeing as i know virtually nothing about your team to even things up a bit, better get researching :lol: just to be certain do u have a good knowledge of these players i.e strengths and weaknesses? Its just it wont be fair if were led to believe a certain player was lightning quick etc when he wasnt, we all know Eusebio is by the way !
I looked through most of Balu's players, the reading material for them is there.. but obviously video footage, I'm not too sure of.

Paolo Di Canio

Fair enough, it is best if the first round is completed asap.

I looked through most of Balu's players, the reading material for them is there.. but obviously video footage, I'm not too sure of.
True, Marcel Bout has his work cut out for him

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
True, Marcel Bout has his work cut out for him
:lol:

Don't worry too much. We won't make stuff up just to win the game. I decided to play, because I enjoy digging into the past and learning more about teams, managers, players of previous decades and the manager theme sounded great to do that. It's in my opinion the best part of these drafts and we'll try to use footage, quotes, articles to back up what we're saying. Sharing great stories, learning about players from other people who maybe know more about them is why I take part in these fantasy drafts. The drafts and the games are by far the best football discussions I've come across on the internet, even though they sometimes end up being a bit too competitive and therefore tedious.

Paolo Di Canio

:lol:

Don't worry too much. We won't make stuff up just to win the game. I decided to play, because I enjoy digging into the past and learning more about teams, managers, players of previous decades and the manager theme sounded great to do that. It's in my opinion the best part of these drafts and we'll try to use footage, quotes, articles to back up what we're saying. Sharing great stories, learning about players from other people who maybe know more about them is why I take part in these fantasy drafts. The drafts and the games are by far the best football discussions I've come across on the internet, even though they sometimes end up being a bit too competitive and therefore tedious.
Ah I know its all in good fun man, People who take them too serious ruin it, its just I usually set up my tactics and write ups on how I will expose weakness etc but ive no idea what the weaknesses are, so just going to set out to my players strengths !

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Ah I know its all in good fun man, People who take them too serious ruin it, its just I usually set up my tactics and write ups on how I will expose weakness etc but ive no idea what the weaknesses are, so just going to set out to my players strengths !
I'm really curious now how you plan to set up your team. I only came up with one formation that makes sense, when I looked at your players earlier today. I think our line-up isn't too difficult to guess as well.

Paolo Di Canio

I'm really curious now how you plan to set up your team. I only came up with one formation that makes sense, when I looked at your players earlier today. I think our line-up isn't too difficult to guess as well.
Ive two formations in mind, will probably decide after I research your team, its full of goals anyway