Manager draft

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
he was online in the morning as well, annoying.
I was online after reaching home around midnight!

I am completely slammed at work right now. Will throw in any kind of write up so that the game can start whenever is appropriate for Edgar and yourself

MJJ

I was online after reaching home around midnight!

I am completely slammed at work right now. Will throw in any kind of write up so that the game can start whenever is appropriate for Edgar and yourself
If you need time, we can do it later? Its not like we can progress until annah and harm play anyway. Otherwise. tomorrow.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Which matches are played today? Been away.
That should be the schedule at the moment:
Monday: MJJ VS Crappy / skizzo vs stobz
Tuesday: EAP vs Jayvin / Gio vs The Red Viper + (Evening) Cutch vs DanNistelrooy
Wednesday: Joga vs Raees
Thursday: Paolo Di Canio - Balu/PedroMendez

TBD:
Annah vs harms
skizzo vs stobz, eap vs jayvin, gio vs TRV and Cutch vs Dan are already finished/running. Joga vs Raees and MJJ vs crappy should start today and Paolo with Pedro/me should start tomorrow. Your game needs scheduling, would be great if we can finish it before the weekend and can get the next round of drafting going.

Annahnomoss

@harms Would Wednesday(Today) work for you for us? Thursday has 2 matches already, so we would become the third. Either way is okay with me.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@harms Would Wednesday(Today) work for you for us? Thursday has 2 matches already, so we would become the third. Either way is okay with me.
??
Today is Joga vs Raees and crappy vs MJJ, tomorrow it's just one game.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Sorry, I'll send mine over now - had it done since weekend.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
During the draft we created a short journey along Guttmann's career with a few great stories and a bit of background information on our players. I split it into the following 4 posts:

The early years in Hungary and Italy:

We start our journey along Béla Guttmann's career path in Hungary, his country of birth, where he managed several clubs in Budapest after the war. In 47/48 he was the manager of a very young Kispesti AC side, the club later was turned into the offical army team and became famous as Budapest Honvéd FC. At the heart of the team was already one unique player, one who seemed to be far ahead of his time and of course also his opponents. The fantastic inbedwithmaradonna site wrote an article about him a while ago, which I shamelessly quote here:

By the stage that he made his debut for the national team it was apparent that Bozsik’s decision making was one of the central strengths to his game. Not only was he able to spot the right pass at the right moment, his technique was impeccable. The youngster possessed a range of passing that allowed him to find distant targets, but he was also happy to play the simple ball if it meant retaining possession. Furthermore, he was almost impossible to dispossess as he shielded the ball so well from opponents.
http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2012/10/17/the-peerless-jozsef-bozsik.html

One of the best deep lying playmakers of all time, maybe the one who defined that position more than anyone else, definitely the one our team will be built around. We pick:

József Bozsik

In case you wondered, he has a pretty good shot in him as well. Here's his wonderful goal in the famous 6-3 win at Wembley.

Still in Hungary, we pick up another player, the next door neighbour of Bozsik. From the age of five onwards, they were life-long friends and both together went on to form one of the most fruitful footballing partnerships in history. They'll continue that in our team:

Ferenc Puskás

I would be a liar if I said we were not pretty nervous on the day of the match. I was in my kit, hanging about in the corridor, when I saw the England inside-right [Ernie] Taylor, who wasn't very tall. I popped back into the dressing room and said to the others: 'Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me'
Ferenc Puskas before Hungary demolished England 6-3 at Wembley in 1953.

Of course, if his best friend scored in that game, Puskás had to as well. I'm sure everyone has seen it, but it's still beautiful:

I also found this little gem of a story about Puskás playing in a Merseyside charity match:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2011/nov/17/the-forgotten-story-ferenc-puskas-merseyside

Guttmann left Hungary after his time at Kispesti AC and after a few short spells in Italy, Argentina and Cyprus took over as the manager at AC Milan, where he brought in a brilliant young defender, who played rightback and right centerback. He instantly established him as a key player in defense in an as usual for Guttmann's teams incredible top heavy side built around the brilliant Swedish pair Nordahl and Liedholm with Schiaffino pulling the strings in midfield. Guttmann was fired during the season despite the team being top of the table and left with his famous "I have been sacked even though I am neither a criminal nor a homosexual. Goodbye." quote. From this day on, every contract Guttmann signed included a clause that he can't be fired, when his team is top of the table. The player stayed and later became a great sweeper and the captain of the European Cup winning Milan side in '63. He also has a son who wasn't half bad in defense either.

We welcome:

Cesare Maldini

To spice up the team, we add a bit of Gre-No-Li. We sadly can't include all of them. Gunnar Gren left Milan before Guttmann became their manager, but the other two were still around and key players in their title win, Gunnar Nordahl being again the league's top scorer with 27 goals. We don't need even more goalscorers in our team though, that's why the one we want in our team is the greatest Swedish player of all time.

"At the end of the 20th century Liedholm was voted the best Swedish player of the millennium by the readers of Sweden's largest newspaper, Aftonbladet."

Nils Liedholm

"According to legend, it took two years playing for Milan until Liedholm misplaced his first pass at the San Siro, the rarity prompting a five-minute ovation from the home crowd."

"Liedholm had great technical and physical skills with a middle distance athlete pace and great versatility on the pitch, in fact, later in his career, he even played as a defensive midfielder and centre-half. Of the three players he was probably the most complete and the one with the best physical condition: he played for the Rossoneri for 12 seasons, and retired from football when he was 38 years old, after tutoring a young boy whose name was Gianni Rivera."

Here's a great blogpost about that wonderful Swedish trio:
http://talesoffootball.blogspot.de/2011/08/legendary-gre-no-li-trio-in-brief-g-re.html

In autumn 1956 Guttmann's former club Kispesti AC, now called Honvéd Budapest, played in the European Cup away at Athletic Bilbao, when the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 began. The players refused to go back to their home country and therefore the return leg was played in Heysel stadium in Brussels. After a 2-3 away loss, the return leg ended 3-3 (Honvéd's goalkeeper got injured early in the game and Czibor played in goal for most of the game, because subs weren't allowed yet) and the Honvéd team was out of the competition. Most of the players arranged for their families to leave Hungary as well and with nowhere to go and nowhere to live, Béla Guttmann returned to them as their manager, organised games all around Europe to earn money for the players. They went together on a trip to Southamerica and played a tournament in Rio de Janeiro. After that, Guttmann decided to stay in Brazil, a few of the players returned to Hungary but most of them found a home at one of the big European clubs.

We know it could lead to a bit of controversy if those months of Guttmann managing that team again should count in this fantasy draft or not. They never played a competitive game, but they earned their living as football players in the same team with Guttmann coaching them. We'd love to have more of those players in the team, but the only one we're going to pick is one of the first sweeper keepers of the game, a goalkeeper way ahead of his time:

Gyula Grosics

Grosics is probably the player of the golden Hungarian generation, who suffered the most through the communist authorities. Shortly after the World Cup he was suspected of treason and spying, arrested and repeatedly questioned and then put under house arrest for more than a year. He was forced to play for the small club Tatabanya. He joined his old Honvéd team again in '56, but went back to Tatabanya, when the exile-team fell apart after their trip to Southamerica. He also returned into the nationalteam and at the World Cup '62 he was the only remaining player from the golden team of '54. He retired after the World Cup and the Tatabanya football stadium was later named after him.

Who would have thought that Team Guttmann could actually make it through to the semifinals? We're a bit lost here, when it comes to reinforcements, so we add a bit more Hungarian firepower from Guttmann's Honvéd exile team. We've talked a lot more about Benfica, Peñarol and Milan than about Guttmann's country of birth so far. This has to change (unless picking from that exile team leads to too much controversy ;) , I hope it doesn't).

Their careers were too connected with each other to separate them now, so we pick both of them at once. Here's a brilliant short documentary about their time together at Barca with lots of interviews and stories about their whole careers. It's better than anything I could write.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The tactical peak with his influence in Brazil and the creation of his Benfica side (Part 1):

At the end of Honvéd's trip to Brazil, Guttmann decided to stay and took over as the manager of São Paulo FC. He's famous for bringing the 4-2-4 tactics into the country, the tactics that went on to win Brazil 3 World Cups in the following 4 tournaments. Jonathan Wilson wrote about Guttmann's time in Brazil in his book 'Inverting the Pyramid' and the following quotes describe his influence perfectly:

It was not 4-2-4 itself that Guttmann brought to Brazil, but a sense of purpose.
He had a grid painted on a wall at the training ground and in practice sessions would roll the ball to his forwards, shouting to them which square he wanted them to hit. He worked on long balls aimed at the center-forward to flick on for the wingers. He discouraged dallying on the ball, drilling his players in rapid passing to such an extent that his calls of "tat-tat-tat" and "ping-pang-pong" became catchphrases. Everything was about moving the ball at speed, about getting his side playing by instinct.
The club was struggling, when he took over, far away from challenging for the title, but slowly his work showed progress and at the end of his spell there, they won the state championship, beating Santos with a very young Pelé on the way. We pick our second defender from this team, the heart of São Paulo's defense for more than a decade. The next year, he was part of the World Cup winning squad in '58 and lifted the trophy again as the captain in '62.

Mauro Ramos

There's an interesting article about him on the guardian website.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2002/sep/21/guardianobituaries.football

Strangely for a country where technique is so prized, he was said to be "too technical, too classical" for the centre-half position. In later years, he wondered if this was why he had to wait so long for a regular place in the national team.

Our next pick was already a global superstar, when he joined the São Paulo FC in 1957. Guttmann assessed, that he needed to add a strong presence for the attack; someone who was equally good in dribbling, shooting and passing; someone who was able to create changes for his team mate, while also being a sublime finisher.
Pele, who started his famous career the same year, described him as the best player that he ever saw and said:
"He is a complete player. He played in midfield, in attack, he scored goals, he could mark, head and cross."

Tomás Soares da Silva - Zizinho

The tragic hero of 1950, scored 24 times during the championship and was the outstanding player of his team. With a smile on his face and under the special guidance of Belá Guttmann, Mestre Ziza lead the team to their last title for over a decade. During his career he won several championships in and was the outstanding player of the 1950 WC.

Gazzetta dello Sport described Zizinho as:
"Leonardo da Vinci, creating works of art with his feet on the immense canvas of the Maracan pitch."

Besides being brilliant on the pitch, he was also a very humble man, who genuinely loved football. When he was asked about the worst moment of his career - the final against Uruguay in 1950 - , he simply replied "Uruguay was better than Brazil."
In 1958, four days before the departure to the worldcup in Sweden, the brasilian manager asked him to join the team. He thought that replacing another player on such short notice would be unfair and declined; a decision that he only regreted, because he missed out on playing with Pelé.

If travel broadens the mind, then the otherwise irascible Béla Guttmann was good enough to return the favour. As well as effectively creating the **** of the manager, the Hungarian has been credited with helping build the Brazilian brand of football. By centring much of the attention on a club around himself, Guttmann was free to innovate and impress on the players. That job in Sao Paulo was his 16th job across nine countries. He would finish up on 25 in 13. Much of that was down to his mantra that “the third season is fatal”. A firm believer that players eventually tire of any manager no matter how good a motivator, Guttmann never stuck around long enough to find out if it was true. So in 1959 his journey brought him to Benfica and to his favourite player.

Mário Coluna

Guttmann realised that his abilities were perfectly suited to the new playmaker role that recently proven so devastating, the withdrawn attacker playing as the driving force in midfield. And, more importantly, Coluna was fully willing to assume the responsibility. In a truly dynamic team, it was Coluna that directed the play, Coluna that drove in so many crucial long-range shots and Coluna that set up the strikers so frequently. Second, he had scored game-changing goals in both European Cup finals in '61 and '62. To finish, Benfica probably would have won three in a row had it not been for the cynical manner that Milan specifically took Coluna out of the game in the 1963 final when there were no subs. He eventually took his role to the international stage, bringing Portugal to the 1966 World Cup semi-final and their best ever performance in the competition. As Brian Glanville wrote, Coluna was “an inspired and inspirational captain”.

*I've shamlessly stolen huge parts of that text from the wonderful football pantheon website with lots of great stories about players, managers, teams.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The tactical peak with his influence in Brazil and the creation of his Benfica side (Part 2):

At the age of 17 young José Augusto Pinto de Almeida burst onto the scene after scoring a hat-trick in his first season against Sporting. While still playing for Barreirense, he made himself a name as one of the most dangerous forwards in the league. Despite being sought after by many big clubs, he remained loyal for another 4 years until Barreirense got relegated.
In 1959 Benfica convinced him to join the club with a blank cheque - money that he desperately needed to support his sick father. Overwhelmed by this support, SLB became a affair of his heart and soon he convinced the fans that this investment would be worthwhile. Just 20 days after the transfer, in his second game, he scored for the first time and many goals would follow. "O Garrincha português" (L´Equipe) became one of the best winger in the world and scored 174 times in 369 games till he retired after 11 seasons in 1970.

In 1961 a 19 year old player, born in Mozambique, was brought into the first team, joining the European Cup winning side. By the end of the season, he had scored 29 goals in 31 games including the 2 game winning goals in the European Cup final against Di Stefano's Real Madrid and finished 2nd in the Ballon d'Or vote.

Eusébio

In 1962, it was difficult to escape the feeling that the nascent European Cup was at a crossroads. In the previous season, Benfica had become the first team to win the trophy other than Real Madrid. But, now that the Spanish champions were back in the final after no more than a one-year absence, they had the opportunity to prove that was simply an aberration and that the trophy was their rightful property.

Certainly, that was the way it looked in the first half. With Alfredo Di Stefano dominating and Ferenc Puskas finishing, Real roared into a 2-0 and then 3-2 lead.

But it was at that point Eusebio stepped up to show that there had been a continental shift. First he created the space for Mario Coluna’s equaliser. Then, playing in his first European Cup final, the striker picked the ball up in his own half and rampaged into the Real box. There was no other option but to bring him down. And there was no other outcome than Eusebio finishing the penalty. Three minutes later, then, came the coup de grace. Illustrating his renowned shooting ability, Eusebio lashed a free-kick home.

And, in a metaphorical passing of the torch after the game, Di Stefano passed his shirt to the young Portuguese. By winning a second successive trophy, Benfica had definitively taken Real Madrid’s mantle. And that Eusebio had definitively taken Di Stefano’s. Ferenc Puskas, meanwhile, became the only player to score a hat-trick in the final and lose.

Again thanks to football pantheon for this description of one of the greatest moments in the history of the game.

6 goals from 3 players in our team in one European cup final!

When Eusebio faced Real Madrid with Benfica, he saw Alfredo Di Stefano for the first time. Back in Mozambique, Eusebio had once torn a photograph of the great Di Stefano from a newspaper and kept it. While playing against Real, although he scored a great goal, all the time Eusebio thought just one thing: ask for Di Stefano’s advice and for his shirt. After the game, he asked Di Stefano what he ate, how they were trained and what their secrets were. In the end, as Eusebio continued to look at him without saying anything, Di Stéfano guessed his thoughts, stripped his shirt and offered it to Eusebio, who ran away in joy to Benfica’s captain. “Mister Coluna, I’ve got a shirt from Di Stefano!”.
“Di Stefano’s shirt is still the most prized possession I have from football. I held onto it tight! When the fans lifted me into the air, I had one hand waving at everyone and the other was squeezing the shirt very tight. In my innocence, the most important thing for me was to have my idol’s shirt.” Eusebio
Shortly after Eusébio's death, the legend Alfredo Di Stéfano stated: "For me Eusébio will always be the best player of all time".
Eusebio himself recalls an anecdote which highlights how the duties of his career step by step ruined his physique. “It was in Munich during a friendly match between Bayern and Benfica. I was injured. I walked with crutches. Jimmy Hagan, our coach, forbade me to play. I was sitting on the bench until the man organizing the friendly sees me and asks why I’m not on the pitch. I explain my injury. He replies: “Impossible, the public has come to see the great Eusebio.” He then meets with Benfica’s directors. At the insistence of such well-dressed men, I saw a doctor and asked him if he could remove some blood from the swelling so I could play. He replied to me: “I can try, but it will be very painful for you.” He did it, and shortly after I entered the field. The public, who had seen me limping along the sidelines, applauded. Beckenbauer was also delighted. What happened during the game was exceptional. I scored a goal with my head, scored a second, and walked out after twenty minutes of play. The crowd in the Olympia Stadium rose to cheer me. ”

Eusébio, Guttmann & Coluna in 1962:

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The last great team he managed back in Southamerica:

The following is a slight variation of a wonderful post by @antohan , who once was also lucky to play this brilliant player alongside Eusebio.

It’s 1962 when Béla Guttmann takes over at Peñarol and brings the club on course to a fifth consecutive national championship win. Following the introduction of the European Cup, the club has successfully pushed for the creation of the South American equivalent: the Copa Libertadores.

Also following a certain European example, in 1960 the club decides to amass the best players from elsewhere in the continent and sign Alberto Spencer (Eusebio his more than able deputy), which delivers the first Libertadores Cup. Real Madrid still trounce them in the Madrid leg of the Intercontinental Cup after a draw in Montevideo.

So Peñarol go further the next year and sign a world class partner for him:

Juan Víctor Joya

The Joya-Spencer (i.e. Joya-Eusebio) tandem went from strength to strength over eight years and went on to deliver:
  • 6 league titles,
  • two Libertadores Cup wins,
  • two Libertadores runners-up (would have been 4 wins with GD or away goals settling things instead of a third game :annoyed:)
  • two Intercontinental Cup wins (against Benfica in 1961 and Real Madrid in 1966)
  • the 1969 Intercontinental Cup Supercup (a tournament for all former Intercontinental winners i.e. “the 60s Super Cup”)
It’s largely down to that decade that the statsmen at IFFHS worked out Peñarol was the best South American club of the 20th Century. I’d say that Peñarol side was right up there with Pelé’s Santos one, and both light-years ahead of any other the continent has produced. Bleacher (yes, I know!) have that Peñarol side as one of the top 15 club sides in history, largely down to the exploits of Joya-Spencer.

Despite repeated approaches by the Uruguayan FA, neither Joya nor Spencer accepted the invitation to play for the national team, or else the 1966 World Cup would have quite probably gone elsewhere. Instead, they both joined Ryan Giggs in the pantheon of football greats who never set foot on the world’s biggest stage.

Their destinies remained interlinked all the way to their deaths. Ironically, Joya dies a year after Spencer, just like he joined Peñarol a year later. Despite having stayed loyal to their countries, they were mourned in Uruguay even more than in Peru and Ecuador – to the point their families decided to bury them in Montevideo, with all expenses paid by the club. A Carnival song dedicated to them went on to top the Uruguayan charts almost 40 years after they had last kicked a ball.

Eusebio knows the big boots he is being asked to fill after seeing his Benfica side concede seven goals to Peñarol over two games. He is aware much of that (two goals + three assists) came from the man on the left wing.

Nestor "Tito" Gonçalves

In 1957, four years before Juan Joya joined Peñarol´s ranks, another club legend started his career. Gonçalves played 574 matches for the "Aurinegros" and never left the club until he retired in 1970. He was an exceptional defensive midfielder who was brilliant in breaking up the play and shielding the defence with a passing range rarely found in Southamerican anchor men. In total he won 9 league titles, 3 copa libertadores and 2 intercontinental Cups, which makes him the most successful footballer in the history of the uruguayan league.

During the reign of Guttmann he captained Peñarol in one of the most controversial and scandalous finals in the history of the copa libertadores. In 1962 after beating the local rival "Nacional", they faced Santos FC in the final round with the chance to win the competition for a 3rd time in a row.

Santos won the first match 2:1 in Montevideo, so Peñarol had to win the return leg to force a decider. Peñarol was leading 3:2, when the brazilian crowd got disgruntled. At the 52nd minute the referee was knocked out after being hit by a bottle. When Carlos Robles (ref) woke up, he decided to abandon the match, but due to very serious menaces of Santos delegates, fans and politics, he was forced to continue the match after a 50 minute delay. The rest of the match was played "unofficially", as the referee himself communicated to the CSF board in the match report.

During this abnormal period, Santos equalised in the 66th minute, when the linesman was knocked unconscious by a bottle, delaying the match again. When Peñarol got a pen, Robles was forced by Santos players and supporters to rectify his decision. Peñarol players including their captain protested, so the ref tells him "Tito, I think we all want to get out of here alive, don't we?" The chaotic and violent match ended 3:3, but the CSF ruled the match 3:2 in favour of Panerol.

One month later both teams faced each other one more time to decide this exceptional final. In Buenos Aires Guttmann´s team was overwhelmed by the outstanding Pele, who scored twice and assisted another goal. Santos won 3:0 and triumphed in this young competition.

Roberto Matosas

In 1961 the 20 year old Roberto Matosas joined the title winning Peñarol side. Alongside the stellar attacking talent, he made himself a name as hard and ruthless defender. Bela Guttmann favoured this tough-minded lad and soon he became his defensive leader. His reputation grew rapidly and after four years he joined River Plate for a record free. He continued his success and proved to be a defensive allrounder, who could trouble even the best forwards. After another brief spell for Peñarol, he emigrated to Mexico, where he ended his career. 26 years after his biggest succes - winning the copa in 1961 - his son would follow his legacy and win the title as well - with Peñarol.

unrelated fun fact: This lovely flower was eventually his biggest (:angel:) fan. She gained a reputation as enthusiastic supporter of River Plate. In one of the first matches for his new team, Roberto gave her his shirt, the No. 6, which she wore every single match. Since this day everybody called her "La Gorda Matosas". Years later Roberto said without shame, that "La Gorda Matosas was eventually more famous than I was" to highlight the importance of such a loyal and passionate fan during this passed age of football.

In 1961 a young leftback gave his debut for Peñarol and went straight into the first team. At the end of his first year, he was part of the team that beat Guttmann's Benfica side in the Intercontinental Cup alongside Joya, Gonçalves and Matosas. They lost the first match in Lissabon 1-0, won the return leg at home 5-0 and beat Benfica in the decisive play-off game on neutral ground 2-1. The brilliant Peñarol defense limited Benfica's attack to just 2 goals in 3 games.

He was a constant in the side all the way to 1974 when he "retired" to a one year-stint with New York Cosmos. He remains to this day the player to have played most derby games in Uruguay. In his 14 years at Peñarol, Caetano won 9 league titles, two Libertadores, two Intercontinental Cups (1961 vs. Guttman's Benfica and 1966 vs. Real Madrid) and the Intercontinental Champions' Supercup in 1969 against all the great teams from the past decade including the Grande Inter.

Omar Caetano

Elías Figueroa, maybe the greatest Southamerican defender of all time, played alongside Caetano and Matosas when he joined them in 1967. He always said he learned how to defend at Peñarol.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Balu can you start mine and harms match?
:mad:

Couldn't you wait 5 seconds until I posted the last part of the player profiles, so that I have all of them together :lol:. If you delete that post, I'll start your match.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'd prefer it if we wait until the 2 games from yesterday are finished before we start the one between Pedro/me and @Paolo Di Canio if that's okay with you. No need to have 4 games running at the same time. I'll send you my write-up within the next hour @Annahnomoss .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Dino Zoff

A rock; a workaholic; a perfectionist: Dino Zoff is one of the greatest goalkeepers the world has known. Voted by the Italian FA as the best italian player of the last 50 years (1954-2003), he is considered by IFFHS third greatest goalkeeper of the 20th century behind only Yashin and Banks.

Cuccureddu

Part of the famous Juventus backline that is considered to be one of the top three defensive lines ever. Very tough defender, he was also great on the ball and often carried Juventus attack from the deep, sometimes scoring himself. He could’ve played literally everywhere on the pitch – he holds very curious record, which says all that you need to know about him - in 1975/76 season he played with 7 different jersey numbers, which were attached to positions and not the players at the time.

Scirea

Gaetano Scirea is one of the best defenders the world has ever seen, was a World-Class classic libero and was the best defender of the World in the 1st half 1980s, has never been as well-known from fan around the world as his great ability. Consequently, He is regarded as one of the most underrated footballers of all-time. Scirea was a graceful defender of great vision and ball controlling skills and tactical ability, played the sweeper, or libero, role for most of his career, and contributed to the development of this position initiated by Franz Beckenbauer in the 1970s. In the latter part of his career, Scirea played a more defensive central-defender role, which he excelled at just the same. He was a gentleman never got sent-off or suspended in his career. Scirea is also one of only nine players in the history of the European football that won all three major UEFA football competitions.

Gentile

One of the hardest players in history he, surprisingly, never was sent off the pitch. His man-marking skills are the part of the folklore now, the ruthless job that he did on Maradona and Zico allowed his team to go through and, eventually, win the World Cup in 1982. He, himself, proudly states: «no one of the ones I've marked the World Cup and the European Championship has ever made me goal». Another quote represents how feared he became worldwide: “It has been a tough last eight hours and I've not gone through this getting a headache, for nothing. It is easier to play eight hours against Gentile than go through this» - Here Ray Wilkins is using him as the personalization of the worst possible thing that can happen to a footballer.

Bergomi

“Lo Zio” Giuseppe Bergomi is regarded by many as the greatest marker of all-time, was a roughness defender but it was full of talent and qualities. He was best remembered as one of the best youngest player ever to play for World Cup final at only 19 year olds of ages and surprisingly marked Rummenigge lost his great performance. Bergomi was a consistency World-Class defender during the 2nd half 1980s. In 1990 World Cup, he was selected as captain for Italy. After miss the 1994 FIFA World Cup squad, he was selected to play in 1998 FIFA world cup in France in his age of 35 year olds. This would raise him as one of the most consistency defender in history of the game. Bergomi tied with Facchetti to be retired number for Inter Milan.

Furino

Not the most fancy name, but he is the player that holds the record for the most Serie A titles won (8). He is the personification of the №4 role, his long-time teammate Tardelli said that he was the most tactically intelligent player that he ever saw. Hardworking, dominant and intelligent player, he is always there to cover for Scirea, if he decides to roam forward. The only weakness that he had was his attacking contribution, but it’s not what required from him. Also, a true leader – he was Juventus captain for 10 years.

Benetti

One of the most complete midfielders that Italy had ever known. Certainly when it comes to Benetti, in our memories rises the figure of the athlete strong and aggressive, muscle and decision, tactics and will. For many years he was one of the greatest midfielders in circulation in Italy and in the world, and his stubbornness led him to be present on the international scene until the ripe old age of thirty-five anni. "Benetti was a rough nut, a physically very strong man, very muscular, like Gattuso all right but physically much stronger and much more dangerous. If he hit you with his strength he could break you. Gattuso, now, is tigerish but hasn't the same physical presence whereas this lad was very, very strong, like a little bull".

Tardelli

Marco Tardelli is widely regarded as the greatest Italian defensive midfielder ever and is the greatest defensive midfielder in the World during the 1st half 1980s. He was well known for his battling qualities, primarily his stamina and mentality as well as his ruthless tackling. He was also known for his technical abilities and his ability to score vital goals. Tardelli spent the majority of career part with Juventus in ten seasons and scored 51 goals. Tardelli is one of a few players in history to win all three titles of European competition. He is particularly remembered for his famous goal celebration in the 1982 FIFA World Cup final match.

Causio

Voted as the best ala destro (right attacking player) in Juventus history. He was the integral part of the fluid Italian attack in 1978 and one of the main stars of the tournament – equally capable of playing on the both sides of the pitch – and, as every Italian winger of that time, he strongly contributed to defense. He supplied many assists with his trademark crosses, some of them with the outside of his foot – very unique skill, I'd say, he was well-recognized for it.

Boniek

Credit to anto:
Platini's partner in crime. What a wonderful player. He could head, pass or shoot with both feet, had great technique and determination, and a big game player to boot. He was a tireless runner who could play anywhere across the frontline and buzzed across the opposition's back-line hunting for weakness. His unmatched engine and workrate allowed him to extend his career playing in midfield, as a sweeper and even as CB.

But his most remarkable asset was his incisive mazy running. Devastating stuff. Imagine Giggs keeping his early pace and dribbling skills until well after he had added the experience. Author of a delightful hat-trick against Belgium at the 1982 World Cup which shows what a nightmare he was, popping up in completely different places and finishing differently for each of them (long shot, header, one on one).

Platini

Simply one of the best players of all-time and arguably the greatest passer ever. Seriously, what more is to say here? He helds the record of the highest average season rating in Serie A history (which is higher than Napoli’s Maradona). Also, three times Ballon D'Or winner and Serie A top scorer three seasons in a row (as a midfielder).

Batistuta

“Batigol” Gabriel Batistuta is the greatest Argentinean striker of all-time. He was a crafty and courageous goalscorer, possessing a booming but accurate shoot which is regarded as the best ever in this skill. Batistuta was not a kind of technical player but he was very much in his instinct, and had excellent strength, considerable in air. One of the his famous goals is the volley shot as soon as the ball across his head from the long passing. He played most of his club football at Fiorentina, and he is the ninth top scorer of all time in the Italian Serie A. When Fiorentina was relegated to Serie B in 1993, he stayed to help it return to the top-flight a year later. A popular sporting figure in Florence, the Fiorentina fans erected a life-size bronze statue of him in 1996. He never won the Italian league with Fiorentina and he finally won the Series A with AS Roma to crown his career in Italy. He holds the record most consecutive goals in Series A with 11 achieved in the 1994 - 1995 season. Batistuta holds the record most goals in a year for Argentina national team with 12.

Bettega

“Bobby Gol” – one of the best Juventus performers in the late 70’s. He played as a left forward/supporting striker and center forward. Serie A top scorer in 1979/1980. He is a very complete forward but his heading really stands out, he was a huge aerial threat.

Paolo Rossi

Everything was easy for Rossi, an atypical player for Italian football. He had no powerful shot, no physical superiority, normal acrobatic skills, his main attribute was his tactical intelligence. He just understood where the ball would end up and he would most definitely be there too. He often gets stick as a one-season wonder, but he wasn't, though his career was sadly interrupted by his ban. Ballon D'Or winner in 1982 and also brilliant as a part of a fluid attacking trio that Italy had in 1978 and was Serie A top scorer with Vicenza in 1977/78.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@harms
I haven't received your write-up yet? Don't want to rush you or anything, just to make sure that you didn't send it to someone else instead. I have Annah's and will start the game as soon as I receive yours.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@harms
I haven't received your write-up yet? Don't want to rush you or anything, just to make sure that you didn't send it to someone else instead. I have Annah's and will start the game as soon as I receive yours.
Will send it to you in a few minutes