Managers you forgot existed

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Raymond Domenech (sp) took France to the World Cup final in 2006 despite being batshit crazy. Didn’t he pick players based on star signs or something?

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
He hasn't been out of work for 10 years. He hasn't managed a club but he has both served as a technical director and first team coach at Fulham.

He's a bit picky as he's not wanted to take on Championship jobs or relegation fodder in the PL but it's true that he's been somewhat forgotten until recently after leaving Fulham. Could well do a job.

You only really get to see the full potential of a manager when he gets into position of proper power, i.e. money. Big Sam was right in that regard that he never really got the opportunity. After having said that however he messed up the England job and had money at Everton to do something but he failed.

André Villas-Boas is only 40 and should be able to get a top job sometime soon. A year ago he left the money in China.
Thanks for clearing this up. I always thought it's so strange why a top manager like him who did a good job at Charlton couldn't get a job for 10 years when you have the likes of Moyes, Pardew always circling around. Now this all makes sense.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Camacho is another one for you Carvahal. I remember he lasted about two months at Real Madrid, benched Raul and Beckham in a game and got sacked the day after.:lol:

He was managing China for a bit. Not sure where he is now.

roseguy64

Mané (the big moustache guy who was in charge of the 2000-01 Alavés that lost the Uefa Cup in a cracking final vs the scouse; he fell off the face of the Earth)
Ireruta (classic spanish player of the 70s and the manager of the 1999-04 Super Depor de la Coruña; he just disappeared)
Denoieux (french manager who nearly won La Liga in 2003 with Real Sociedad)
W. Luxemburgo (can't say I remember him after the horrible 2005-06 Madrid season)
Queiroz
B. Schuster
A. Jacquet and the guy of the Euro2000
Queiroz managed Iran in the just completed World Cup

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Thanks for clearing this up. I always thought it's so strange why a top manager like him who did a good job at Charlton couldn't get a job for 10 years when you have the likes of Moyes, Pardew always circling around. Now this all makes sense.
He did say himself that after turning down jobs after being picky he did become forgotten because he wasn't managing for a few years. Pardew was never out of a job long.

Horst Ehrmantraut. The new Better Caul Saul season reminded me of his existence again.

Tim Sherwood. What's he doing?

Marc Wilmots. Hard to imagine that he was managing the Belgium NT for 4 years.

Thomas Doll. Seems to have done well enough in Hungary.

Bert van Marwijk. Like many a manager (and player and director...) ground down by the career vampire that is HSV.

Michael Oenning. See above.

Mirko Slomka. See above.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
PScholes18 said:
Who was that manager who got caught wearing women's lingerie?
Mr Pigeon.

alsabi

Joe Kinnear. Though I suppose he isn't managing any more, is he?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Brendan Rodgers.

Setting the standard in a one team league doesn’t count.
I find it weird how could people forget Rodgers. Still managing Celtic, it wasn't very long time from his good season with Liverpool and his names was in media as a candidate to replace Conte at Chelsea.

Moiraine

Was good to see Nigel Pearson again on "Goals on Sunday"

He reminds me of Ned Stark (Sean Bean) the way he talks ... and he looks just a bit similar to him. The honorable Ned Start :cool:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Ian Woan - kind of/could go in the players I'd forgotten about thread.

Googled the Burnley squad yesterday because I couldn't remember Steven Defour's name. Was having a conversation about how United signing Van Nistelrooy was delayed because Ruud got injured and said it nearly happened with that 'Belgian bloke who is now at Burnley'. Fergie sent him a letter wishing him all the best with his recovery when we were reportedly interested in signing him but of course we never did in the end.

Anyway, while I was looking that up I noticed that Ian Woan was Burnley's assistant manager. Didn't know that and it's a name I hadn't heard in a long time. I remember him from the Clough Nottingham Forest team with Roy Keane, Stuart Pearce etc. Woan was also briefly caretaker manager of Portsmouth, something else I didn't know before they appointed Avram Grant who just got a mention above.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Jaime Pacheco: won the portuguese league with Boavista, than got a job at Mallorca at Spain and got sacked for benching Eto'o. After that he was endlessly sacked until he was gone to the arab or chinese exile.

Bole Top

R. Voller and that guy who used to manage Schalke forever.
edit: it was Huub Stevens
edit2: he's their manager again :houllier:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wolfgang Wolf.

Didn't just manage Wolfsburg but a few other Bundesliga clubs.