Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
No idea what to expect later. A week ago I was convinced the ban would stick, now not so much.

The confidence coming out of City mouthpieces is a bit annoying, but then they have everything to gain from sounding confident pre-verdict (appeal, maintaining innocence, reputation, etc) than if they said nothing. Who knows. Also worth noting that no reputable journo has claimed to know anything regarding the outcome.
This echo's my feelings too.

I'm also (probably naively) growing in confidence the longer it goes on that City probably have been informed now and their mouthpieces are fairly quiet this morning?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So, with an hour to go, what's everyone's predictions?

I reckon they'll reduce the ban to a year and half the fine. Man City will accept this.
1 year ban and maybe fine goes up by 5m or so

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Presumably City know by now and will be preparing statements, surprised no leaks yet

RedDevilRoshi

Hope I’m proven wrong but just got a horrible feeling that they are going to get away away with this.

sewey89

Hope I’m proven wrong but just got a horrible feeling that they are going to get away away with this.
Same. It's the best way to be, prepare for the worst and anything else is a bonus.

Luckily, our team seems to have sorted themselves out on the pitch and we're not relying on this solely for CL qualification

Andy_Cole

My only glimmer of hope is Chelsea got their transfer ban upheld. I know it’s different but you’d think they’d buy themselves through the appeal like city.

So, with an hour to go, what's everyone's predictions?

I reckon they'll reduce the ban to a year and half the fine. Man City will accept this.
I have every confidence that City will have greased all the right palms to get away with this. A face saving fine with no ban is my guess.

OneUnited24

My only glimmer of hope is Chelsea got their transfer ban upheld. I know it’s different but you’d think they’d buy themselves through the appeal like city.
I think here the argument they’re making is the evidence was ill gotten so they shouldn’t be punished.

“We’re guilty but you didn’t prove it through official channels”

Amazing eh?

my view is theyll get acquitted and ffp will be done and dused

Red Royal

Whatever I've read about CAS gives me hope that they're a highly ethical organisation. And whatever I've read about City suggests they don't really have a case.

I see the original ban being upheld and pandemonium ensuing at City.
I hope you are right but am not overly optimistic. The way football is going I just see Citys lawyers wriggling out of this somehow.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Have a feeling they’ll get a suspended ban and if they do anything naughty again it will be enforced.

GoldanoGraham

Will be a deferred ban - only enforceable if they get caught cheating again and a wrap across the knuckles......

City (and PSG) will be laughing all the way to their oil refineries

gorky_utd

Will be fantastic if they get at least one year ban. But it will probably only be a fine. They may see that the players are not guilty so allow city to participate in UCL. Can they change the punishment to something different (say a huge fine of 75m) or it has to be within what UEFA has already delivered?

sewey89

I'm setting myself up for a fail here. Convincing myself that the ban stands with the fact that their mouthpieces aren't coming out with anything.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
But can they really? It’s bad enough they completely disregarded the FFP rules but to then cook the books as well suggests they knew exactly what they were doing.
Who knows, it feels like they make up some rules as it happens in football right now.

sewey89

Will be fantastic if they get at least one year ban. But it will probably only be a fine. They may see that the players are not guilty so allow city to participate in UCL. Can they change the punishment to something different (say a huge fine of 75m) or it has to be within what UEFA has already delivered?
They should say that City are banned, their players aren't guilty so they shouldn't be denied CL football. Therefore, any CL club who bids for a city player, it's automatically accepted

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Have a feeling they’ll get a suspended ban and if they do anything naughty again it will be enforced.
A suspended ban would be terrible for UEFAs reputation as well as an indication to clubs that they are also allowed to cheat the system or basically deviate from an ethical/legal route.

Politically, A one year ban seems fair and reasonable for all parties involved.

littlepeasoup

Thought at the time that they'd split the difference, and it'd end up being a one-year ban, which was one of the reasons they'd given them two years to begin with.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
The sheik has likely made a few very important people involved in this situation very rich. I’ll be VERY surprised if they don’t get away with it.

Steve Bruce

Some podcasts have it overturned but I think they'll get some sort of punishment. No one really knows

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm outrage/satisfied/delighted with this verdict. City have finally been punished/have gotten off lightly/have gotten away with it.

Al-T

Expect reduced, i.e token punishment - a meaningless fine and comment that any breach was technical and without intent.

That way Citeh carry on doing what they like and UEFA maintain a fig leaf of pretence that FFP is worth the paper it's written on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm setting myself up for a fail here. Convincing myself that the ban stands with the fact that their mouthpieces aren't coming out with anything.
Cheeseman, Sinclair and Goater already did didn't they?

Fosu-Mens

Depends on who could put the most pressure on the CAS between a small but rich country and 10 of the biggest clubs in the world.

CAS sided with PSG over UEFA over FFP (which is somewhat strange given their expenditure over a few seasons there with Neymar and Mbappe in particular), so I will not say that CAS is unbribable or incorruptible.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Whatever the outcome is, City know by now and are keeping very quiet about it. No mouthpieces mouthing off anywhere
Except for the other day.
You still sound hopeful which I applaud but can't see why.