Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Maldini said: "If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake."
In itself it's not an unreasonable point. Rio, for example, rarely needed to make a tackle.

The issue is that when needed to he could, and he wasn't stupid and arrogant enough to operate on the assumption that he'd never need to.

pseudo_canadian

Shades of LVG. A manager that has only ever known what it's like to have the best players in the league. It's unbelievable how sure some people were that he'd succeed at City and dominate this league. Clearly this was like nothing he's ever done before, no Messi to bail him out and no piss easy league like in Germany.
Exactly.

And a lot of people will still get red in the face trying to argue that the Prem isn't the most competitive league top to bottom.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Exactly.

And a lot of people will still get red in the face trying to argue that the Prem isn't the most competitive league top to bottom.
This is a double whammy for the Kult of Pep members, their managerial demi-god failing to walk this incredibly weak and uncompetitive league by a landslide. Some harsh soul searching going on for some neckbeards right about now.

Ludens the Red

It's funny, after 5/6 weeks all the rave was about how quickly city players were picking up Peps 'philosophy' 'ideology' 'blueprint' aka 'insert douchebag hip phrase'.
Now he needs time, city players need time to adapt to him. You can't have it both ways.

Peps biggest fault and I've always maintained this is he's too stubborn and very ignorant towards other teams. In his Barca and Bayern bubbles he had unreal teams and was able to attack at will and could interchange his players into multiple positions because they were that good. The opposition simply weren't on their level.

Now down here with everybody else he's still trying to implement this style, he completely ignores the oppositions threat and simply thinks his team will out power them. This is very naive. You could see today and last week that city had no consideration whatsoever for their opponents attacking threat.
High line at Leicester with slow defenders? Honestly it's mad. He's meant to be one of the greatest managers of all time and two weeks in a row he's made the exact same tactical howlers.

Sylar

Maldini said: "If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake."
I somewhat get what hes saying but its flawed in itself. You have to tackle if a player is running at you (rather than trying to pass it around you). You can intercept passes, its a bit difficult to intercept somebody who is running at you ala Messi or Ronaldo (thats what we accept as a tackle right? cos by definition a tackle is intercepting somebody...).

I do agree that as a defender, if youre biggest strength is positioning, then you can intercept more and dont have to rely on tackling. But yes, Rio and maldini at least trained to tackle (There was a shit long period where Rio didnt give away a foul just because of this).

It is last resort, but especially in this league its pretty much a requirement. I do hope Pep is stubborn and doesnt change anything defensively however. Fernandinho is going to be a bigger miss than Aguero (especially given how many fouls he can commit to stop attacks without getting a yellow)

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Are you serious? Unproven? He won 14 trophies in his first 4 years alone in management and he didn't exactly take over a Barcelona team that was sweeping all before them, they were in turmoil. If Pep is unproven then who in Gods name is proven?
He took over the CL champions of 12 months before with maybe the best player of all time amongst many of the best players of all time, my gran could of won what he won.

Fener1907

Should drop the shitty Freud impersonations and focus on improving in his own profession.

If that quote about tackling is true, it's brilliant. As good as he is, that guy's so far up his own ass that it'll be a struggle to remove it to get him to see the reality.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Ridiculous to label him as a fraud, what happened to assessing managers after a season at least?

Make no mistake, it's his biggest managerial task and there is plenty to fix at City but he has got almost unlimited resources. It's up to him to utilize and make most of it but ironically his problems start with the signings made last summer who are yet to make any positive impact on their season. Stones and Bravo have been a calamity at the back for them, Gundogan who was such an immensely influential player at Dortmund seems to drift in and out of matches that you forget he is actually playing, Sane has also shown very little and he's being asked a lot tactically such as to play as a wing-back, only Nolito you can class as a moderate success as he has produced whenever he's been put on pitch. He has to buy basically an entirely new back line and find a new midfield partner for Fernandinho.

Another mistake he is making is not building a team around de Bruyne who I think is their best player, he's been asked to play a supporting role alongside Silva in CM or put out wide. For last few matches all I have seen him is whip cross after cross, it's not making full use of his abilities. He is so dangerous in final third and possesses such fine shooting technique that he should be playing more central and closer to the goal.

Ultimately, his flexibility (or lack of) will make or break his career here in Premier League. Someone raised a very good point of teams feeding off the crowd and raising intensity during matches, he has been used to teams sitting off his side during his entire career whereas teams in PL do try and have a go at them in great numbers which is where their defence inevitably crumbles. He wants his team to employ his possession based philosophy but he has find new methods or way of dealing with this kind of pressure. I don't think this kind of stubbornness will win them silverware, at least not with this current set of players.

salford_

Are the City lot getting their hair off with him, or are they still blaming the ref and anyone bar Pep?

salford_

Fight to the death. The winner, ultimately, is society.
Was it Balague who did an article in the cup tie where he said something about Pep's academy team lose to Utd's older guys. But the age between the sides was actually lower at Utd?

Manny

Grammar Police

Balague :lol:

Him and Duncan Castles are great fun
:lol: For a journalist, Balague really struggles to be impartial when ever anyone Spanish or Real/Barca is involved. He really showed himself up during the Pogba transfer.

Just call it for it was it is, Pep getting pants pulled down. It happens to every team in the PL.

Hammerfell

Are the City lot getting their hair off with him, or are they still blaming the ref and anyone bar Pep?
A few of them seem annoyed by his complete refusal to be flexible in his style.

When have I felt that before?

salford_

:lol: For a journalist, Balague really struggles to be impartial when ever anyone Spanish or Real/Barca is involved.

Just call it for it was it is, Pep getting pants pulled down. It happens to every team in the PL.
Ill tell you what I hate about Guillem, anyone linked to leaving Madrid or Barca he does his absolute best to shoot it down. Give it no chance of happening. Or if he does give it a chance, he always ends with "but hed rather stay..."

Honigstein is the same with players leaving Germany.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Didn't Xabi Alonso say something similar recently, that they don't train in tackling in Spain, or words to that effect?
Not quite, Xabi made quite allot of tackles per game but said 'if I needed to tackle I'd failed in intercepting'.......City had far more fail than that though

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah he doesn't know what a tackle is, such exquisite is his craft, but he plays two fullbacks and inept Pebbles as a back three, then does some other weird shit formations nobody really appreciates and you can only laugh at.

Thinking that if it worked with Alaba, it will work with fecking Sagna or Kolarov. Can only but laugh.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
He's fast becoming the worst kind of manager and football coach, not admitting anything he possibly did wrong, keps bangin on it was all all right. I don't know if he was like that in , haven't kept track but he comes across as very arrogant. Yet only our manager gets the flak for being arrogant.
What? Jose was never in Bayern!

sorry, had to do it, hihihi
Hope the Pep fanboys and fangirls are alright.
never heard of that!
on the other hand, Jose fangirls, I'm the president of the club

Brightonian

We're going to catch them. It might seem like a stupid prediction with our current inability to do anything other than draw in the PL, but I'm confident. Even when they were actually winning games this season they weren't convincing a lot of the time. Count up the number of times they've won with a goal in the last ten minutes or so after struggling. Our performances over the last ten games or so have been much better than theirs. You don't get any plaudits for 'performances' - only results matter in the end - but they're a good predictor of what's to come.

I've never felt so RAWKish. It's quite fun.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
As a balding man this thread hasn't been great for my confidence.

Skills

Snitch
If we weren't such a shambles ourselves, we would've knocked them out of the top 4.