Kick-off
Sun, 2 October 2022 @ 2:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
    Come on now, our full-back's aren't better than theirs.
    Separately, they are not, I agree, but as a whole, our defense is still better. Malacia and Dalot are formidable and Varane/Martinez are mouthwateringly good. Hope De Gea is not in one of his "gonna shit the bed" moods, today. We need him to be his best.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Casemiro situation is becoming very strange for me.
    Nothing strange, McTominay has been excellent and doesn't deserve to be dropped and that's it. It sends the wrong message to drop him when he's been excellent in every game since Casemiro joined. He'll get his time.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
    Still think City will have too much for us, but do think we will give them a game. Nervous excitement, come on the reds!

wangyu

I have really underestimated Ten Hag’s resolve again. I was sure Ronaldo would start especially since both Martial and Rashford were minor doubts. I just love how he sticks to his opinion, he is a strong willed guy!
    We really have to stick behind him, we cannot let the media attack him when things go badly agai. I really think this is the manager we need going forward!

Devil81

Casemiro situation is becoming very strange for me.
    If he'd come to us from a lesser side I would just say he's got to bide his time but I seriously doubt he was sold the dream based on being on our bench.

I'm with you, it's a bit of a worry.

croadyman

First time in years we face City without any injuries just days before games

ChorltonReds

Think Casemiro was definitely signed by the board and Ten Hag only agreed once he realised de Jong wasn't coming. Similar to the van de beek and Fred signings. Especially as Spanish reports say Perez was touting him around for sale all summer.

Still plenty of time for him to become an important player though.

Glad Ronaldo is only on the bench.

croadyman

If he'd come to us from a lesser side I would just say he's got to bide his time but I seriously doubt he was sold the dream based on being on our bench.

I'm with you, it's a bit of a worry.
    I don't think Erik expected Scott to step up so much when he came in,really think it's caught him by surprise and can't argue with that.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
    Rob Dawson has already reported that Casemiro was the only signing that was initiated by the recruitment team and not ETH. That’s understandable as we know ETH wanted FDJ but it wasn’t attainable.

Dawson also said ETH was wary of disrupting team spirit by dropping a player who’s been playing really well (Mctominay) just to replace him for a big name. He said ETH wants players to know you’ll get rewarded and punished based on performances and not names.
    Makes sense (re: McT) and I respect that a lot, even if I think McT can never be half the player that Casemiro is at his best :) Also, not sure Casemiro is his best yet in this new league, but either way - rewarding McT for a good form makes sense and EtH is fully in his right to make such decisions. He's the boss.

Prodigy24

How have Ake and Akanji been playin together? Seems like it's their weak link today considering it's not their starting CB's.

Giggsy13

No real holding midfielder for city and nice Dias and Laporte are not starting. There should be some space behind the city line that could be exploited

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
    Think City will have too much for United today, but still feeling rather optimistic about the season.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Rob Dawson has already reported that Casemiro was the only signing that was initiated by the recruitment team and not ETH. That’s understandable as we know ETH wanted FDJ but it wasn’t attainable.

Dawson also said ETH was wary of disrupting team spirit by dropping a player who’s been playing really well (Mctominay) just to replace him for a big name. He said ETH wants players to know you’ll get rewarded and punished based on performances and not names.
    Fair enough, just seems a waste of money (not unusual for our recruitment team) - if you pay that sort of money and wages on a player, they should be a first choice player.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
    City back line is pretty fast. They’ve got tons of creativity.

Chief123

Fair enough, just seems a waste of money (not unusual for our recruitment team) - if you pay that sort of money and wages on a player, they should be a first choice player.
    It’s still too early because he’s not been bad whenever he’s been brought on. I’ve got full confidence Casemiro will be a key player for us this season. We’ll see him start in the next couple of games for sure.

DJ_21

It’s a team designed to have about 75% possession for sure.
    Also trying to cut out our counter attacks with there defence. Not much defence in there midfield though.

-Supreme-

Nothing strange, McTominay has been excellent and doesn't deserve to be dropped and that's it. It sends the wrong message to drop him when he's been excellent in every game since Casemiro joined. He'll get his time.
    Agreed. Particularly when Ole always played his favourites regardless of form and it sends the wrong message when this was a huge issue that needed addressing by the current head coach.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Agreed. Particularly when Ole always played his favourites regardless of form and it sends the wrong message when this was a huge issue that needed addressing by the current head coach.
    Yep. Later on it'll be different, but early in Ten Hags career i think he wants to make it clear that if you perform, you'll play regardless of the fixture.

croadyman

Yeah will admit I am surprised,if Erik wasn't convinced then should have put foot down unlike Ole with Donny. However convinced De Jong boat has sailed so needs to look elsewhere now.

marktan

Hmm that lineup looks a bit too attacking for me. Ole showed the way was to sit back and counter. Hopefully the rest outside Mctominay also come back and defend.

Would've liked Martial for his hold up play too.

DJ_21

Haaland is huge isn’t he. Never realised how big he was :lol:

croadyman

Hmm that lineup looks a bit too attacking for me. Ole showed the way was to sit back and counter. Hopefully the rest outside Mctominay also come back and defend.

Would've liked Martial for his hold up play too.
    He made the bench which is a huge bonus,wasn't going to be ready to start

JuriM

Seeing how results have gone this weekend and how tough October will be for all - if things stand at a draw by the 75th min I guess both sides are rather pleased with it rather than lose the whole 3 points.

Calling it a 1-1.

-Supreme-

Yep. Later on it'll be different, but early in Ten Hags career i think he wants to make it clear that if you perform, you'll play regardless of the fixture.
    And this will only going to make us stronger as everyone needs to fight to play regularly.

mu4c_20le

Ole always played what he felt was his best team and ended up running them into the ground. Arteta is doing the same right now and eventually Ten Hag will have to rotate as well.

Dan_F

Also trying to cut out our counter attacks with there defence. Not much defence in there midfield though.
    Speed or no speed, I’d say it’s their two worst centre backs playing, and they probably haven’t played together much. If Bruno has a good day with his passing then we’ll have some joy, especially if we nick the first goal.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 68% of 246 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 252 ratings.

Score Predictions