Manchester tier 3 - no fans allowed. London and Liverpool Tier 2 and can have fans.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I feel this payback for the mayor of Manchester pushing back against boris.

Ekeke

Nonsense. Same behaviour across the country. We just all live on top of each other in NW. London was also the epicentre of the virus in the spring/summer. This time it's been here in the NW probably because more people in London had already had it earlier in the year and still have antibodies.
Speak for your own area

Maticmaker

Tbh think the club breathed a sigh of relief. 2000 fans allowed is not worth the effort, especially when the club reckons it has made plans to handle around 23,000 fans, all following space requirements and other procedures.

I reckon its Burnham's fault, his stand up argument with Boris over money is the forerunner. This is Boris's payback. OK the official Government line will be that it is based on statistics.... but its difficult not to see this as a political payback!

Liverpool despite all their apparent 'scally' rule breaking activity, they accepted Boris's monetary offer and also agreed to be the first mass test and trace area. Hence back in Boris's 'good books' they get a Tier 2 ruling.... isn't it always the same?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This sounds pretty unfair to me, but is there really nothing that can be done for Manchester to be at least level 2?
Nope. But it at least saves the money of having to have all the stewards and safety staff etc. Clubs opening up for such piddly numbers will surely lose even more money than now.

shaky

Its fine. It's the best of a bad situation. Cities (and the clubs within them) who handled the virus better than others would essentially be punished for others not handling things well if it was an all for one rule, so while this puts us slightly behind, its still the right thing to do IMO.

The no singing or shouting thing won't be enforced, no way to do it.
I think they'll have to enforce the no shouting rule. Not for Covid reasons but for TV reasons. Every bit of bad language will get picked up when the stadium is so empty. Martin Tyler will be apologising non stop for the entire game.

Fully Fledged

Tbh think the club breathed a sigh of relief. 2000 fans allowed is not worth the effort, especially when the club reckons it has made plans to handle around 23,000 fans, all following space requirements and other procedures.

I reckon its Burnham's fault, his stand up argument with Boris over money is the forerunner. This is Boris's payback. OK the official Government line will be that it is based on statistics.... but its difficult not to see this as a political payback!

Liverpool despite all their apparent 'scally' rule breaking activity, they accepted Boris's monetary offer and also agreed to be the first mass test and trace area. Hence back in Boris's 'good books' they get a Tier 2 ruling.... isn't it always the same?
You mean it's BOJO's fault. Only a child acts out like that when they are criticised.

Maticmaker

You mean it's BOJO's fault. Only a child acts out like that when they are criticised.
No, its good old fashioned politics,. Burnham sat up and begged for it, he wanted to show he could face down Boris, but lost out and now we all (in Manchester)got it right in the kisser instead. Well done Andy champion of the people my a**e!

Heinzesight

It’s a piss take if they allow fans.

Consider City v Liverpool a few weeks back.

Potentially title deciding (I know City are 13th now)...so how is it fair one team has no fans for their home game and the other a few thousand phlegm-spouting vermin behind their team in February.

I know Tiers can change but it should be a level playing field for the course of the season.

saivet

I dont know about uk but most stadium services outsources their matchday personel to save cost. Can't afford to hire steward on permanent basis.
I'd imagine it's similar here but as far as I'm aware, clubs still need to have stewards working on match days even if there are no fans for health and safety reasons. I'm sure they have scaled down the numbers required to work but I don't think 2k or 4k fans would drastically increase the number of stewards having to work.

Lee565

Watch liverpool fans ignore the no shouting/singing rule and then play the victim when they are threatened with going back to playing behind close doors again if they don't follow the rules.

Also will fans try to take advantage of the fact that it doesn't say specifically in the rules that you can't boo?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Speak for your own area
I am. If you think people behave better in the south than in the North you're deluded. There's idiots everywhere.

Millwall would be a Northern team otherwise.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Who would you blame?
The R numbers don’t line up with the tiers. Anyone breaking the rules are cnuts, but to simply say ‘blame the people in those areas’ is massively unfair and not even correct. Last time there were places worse in London than in Lancashire, for example. So why blame the people in Lancashire for the tier they’re in?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
London makes up 35% of the UK economy apparently. It was never going to be put in tier 3.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I expect there are a disproportionate number of people who work in offices & are working form home.

Are seriously suggesting that the figures have been falsified?
Not falsified. Manipulated.

If Covid cases are falling by 40% in NW and growing by 20% in London as said on BBC today.... Why would you relax measures in an area with growing numbers? It makes no sense. Its about money.

North West went into this second wave earlier than most regions. It looks like we are over the worst of it hence the R number being one of the lowest at 0.8 to 1.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You open a big can of worms if places (that allows fans) is blocked for "integrity".

Is it any more "unfair" than for example a loanee not allowed to face his parent club but can potentially help take points of all it's rivals?

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
It's 2000 fans they are not making a difference.

There is no football conspiracy here.
How many fans were in the ground when we played İstanbul Başakşehir? You could here those, and the whistling was ridiculous.

Watch liverpool fans ignore the no shouting/singing rule and then play the victim when they are threatened with going back to playing behind close doors again if they don't follow the rules.

Also will fans try to take advantage of the fact that it doesn't say specifically in the rules that you can't boo?
that will apply to all fans. Let’s be perfectly honest, the average football fan is pretty dense.

whilst in theory you could stop singing, as that’s a choice, not sure how you can stop shouting as that’s a reaction to what’s happening on the pitch.

i suppose you could give them all prawn sandwiches, that keeps them quiet.

Pagh Wraith

I'm happy for every club that can have fans back in the stadium and for every single fan who can attend. Don't understand this "I want everyone else to have it as bad as me" attitude that has come to the surface during Corona times. Plus 2000 or 4000 will not make much of a difference.

You open a big can of worms if places (that allows fans) is blocked for "integrity".

Is it any more "unfair" than for example a loanee not allowed to face his parent club but can potentially help take points of all it's rivals?
benefit of having 50+ players out on loan:lol: bants.

I don’t care about the perceived ‘fairness’, let’s look at the bigger picture. It’s good to have fans back at games, even if that’s Liverpool, and United can’t have fans. So what. We need to prove the concept of getting people back into grounds, and we can’t wait until all areas are clear - that would be ridiculous. Otherwise, we have no fans unless every location allows it.

Whatsername

I suppose that Liverpool will have 2000 when we play them in January but hopefully there’ll be vaccines up and running and a marked improvement in the whole Covid situation by May, meaning that we can have a lot more than that in when we play them at OT.

edcunited1878

Having fans is a good thing, no matter what. Would love to hear the banter from some match going fans. You're not going to a match without wearing a mask/face covering and not scream, yell, bitch, and moan.

And all the match going fans will be spread out across the stadium with tickets sold in limited blocks of like 2, 4, or 6 tickets. The teams will have to work out how they sell the ticket blocks, to whom, etc.

Teams hopefully have implemented ticketless and cashless in stadium policies. Social distancing protocols will been created for match goers such as distanced queues, hand sanitizer stations, etc.

Some of these clubs have the smallest turnstiles and you're gonna have hundreds of people touching it and all that shit. Not to sound paranoid, but these are health and safety protocols, solutions, and changes that have to be made by the clubs. But if you buy a ticket, there's going to be small print legal saying that you are liable for anything that happens to you before, during, and after your attendance. No way will clubs be liable if you get sick.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If the North had the lowest rates and lowest hospital admissions and it was the South mainly in tier 3.....do you think theyd be allowing fans in the North but not the South? Yeah me neither.

owlo

It's obviously an incompetent screw up but I prefer it this way for Manchester. If less people die in my city because we don't have fans going to mass sporting events, then good. I can take a bit of unfair competition to save some lives. Hopefully our cancer patients etc will do better too.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Why the feck can't people sing or shout? :lol: If that puts off players from the away team, then tough shit. Really miss the atmosphere of a Premier League game.

Ekeke

I am. If you think people behave better in the south than in the North you're deluded. There's idiots everywhere.

Millwall would be a Northern team otherwise.
No, you said everyone is the same so you spoke for every area. And there are more than 2 areas in the entire country.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
No, you said everyone is the same so you spoke for every area. And there are more than 2 areas in the entire country.
People in Cornwall don't behave better than people in Liverpool or Manchester. There's just less people and more space.

It's not a difficult riddle.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
So that's 2 seasons in a row with an asterisk attached.
Last season didn’t really need an asterisk. This season won’t get an official one either but it’s a lot worse. One rule for some clubs, another rule for others doesn’t work.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why the feck can't people sing or shout? :lol: If that puts off players from the away team, then tough shit. Really miss the atmosphere of a Premier League game.
Why would they ban something that would put players off when in normal times they don't give it a second thought?

It's about the potential for passing the virus from droplets.