Manchester United - January transfer window 2015 (twitter blacklist applies)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I do worry with Hummels that'll we'll just over pay for a player that is more name, than substance, not saying he's crap but then again I'm not too sure he's that fantastic.
Well this would definitely be a LvG signing and if he is awful, then his judgement can then be called into question.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well this would definitely be a LvG signing and if he is awful, then his judgement can then be called into question.
Van gaal doesn't have a good record on the transfer market, so no question will be asked.

Varun

Staff
Ugh, would you want him though? Chip on his shoulder regarding his last stint at United. Might be a difficult character to keep in check. Liverpool should have a go for him to be honest.
Eh? Why would he ever move to Pool?

Devil may care

It's very doom and gloom after yesterday. :lol: Apparently he is a terrible judge of a player until he has worked with them according to Balu, so that means Strootman and Depay are locks. Ed will then rustle up a couple of muppet buys to add some commercial sizzle to the summer!

bucky

Wait, people are actually complaining about what we brought in last summer? If anything I was fairly surprised how well we did considering van Gaal's record in the market and we had no Champions League to offer. The only thing I would question is selling Welbeck for Falcao, but apart from that all players were and are exactly what we need. With that being said it's becoming increasingly frustrating to see how van Gaal uses them. I'm confident we'll continue to sell the players that aren't good enough anymore and bring in more quality.

DomesticTadpole

Wait, people are actually complaining about what we brought in last summer? If anything I was fairly surprised how well we did considering van Gaal's record in the market and we had no Champions League to offer. The only thing I would question is selling Welbeck for Falcao, but apart from that all players were and are exactly what we need. With that being said it's becoming increasingly frustrating to see how van Gaal uses them. I'm confident we'll continue to sell the players that aren't good enough anymore and bring in more quality.
I am happy with the players bought, just wish we could see them all playing.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
What are you on about? We didn't buy what we needed at all imo.

We needed 2 CM's, 1 holding midfielder which we got in Daley Blind, and another Box to box midfielder which did't get. (Herrera is better as attacking mid, so why did we buy him when we have Mata and Rooney)

We needed 2 world class centre halves considering Rio and Vidic left (Even though they were past it), we didn't even get a single top quality centre half in let alone 2. Rojo is not the answer so that's another £16million +Nani down the drain for no apparent reason. We needed a left back and got one so fair play to the club there.

We didn't need a striker at all lmao, we let a product of the youth academy leave to a rival, and bought in a superstar striker on £280k a week for no reason, considering we already have 2 world class superstar strikers.

Basically all LVG adressed in the summer was the holding midfielder role and LB position. Not a great transfer window at all imo. Compared to what other clubs like Chelsea and Bayern got.

Kounan

We needed 2 CM's, 1 holding midfielder which we got in Daley Blind, and another Box to box midfielder which did't get. (Herrera is better as attacking mid, so why did we buy him when we have Mata and Rooney)

We needed 2 world class centre halves considering Rio and Vidic left (Even though they were past it), we didn't even get a single top quality centre half in let alone 2. Rojo is not the answer so that's another £16million +Nani down the drain for no apparent reason. We needed a left back and got one so fair play to the club there.

We didn't need a striker at all lmao, we let a product of the youth academy leave to a rival, and bought in a superstar striker on £280k a week for no reason, considering we already have 2 world class superstar strikers.

Basically all LVG adressed in the summer was the holding midfielder role and LB position. Not a great transfer window at all imo. Compared to what other clubs like Chelsea and Bayern got.
Herrera is NOT an ACM and he is better as b2b, then ACM, he just can cover more positions.

I am mostly happy with what we brought as Blind, Shaw and Herrera were players we needed. Rojo needs to find form, so we have to see, but at least he is cover for 2 positions, which I think is very good, as we didn't have ANY left backs. We probably over paid for him, but....

Now, di Maria was a luxury signing, but one we can afford and one which could make the difference, just he didn't perform as a winger this season, so LVG doesn't know how to use him properly, even if I do think that he can work as a winger if he would work more with FB's and stops being selfish (of course for him to work as a winger, we would need to play deeper, but because we try to press more he only played well in a diamond and it could be a problem). I agree that for that money we could have maybe bought a defender and another CM, but I can't say that I don't understand it at all why he was bought.

For Falcao I do think we didn't need him, especially as he wasn't fit.

So, I would say that most of the signings we have bought were good choices, while I do agree that the di Maria money could have been spent better, but I can live with that transfer.

DomesticTadpole

Herrera is NOT an ACM and he is better as b2b, then ACM, he just can cover more positions.

I am mostly happy with what we brought as Blind, Shaw and Herrera were players we needed. Rojo needs to find form, so we have to see, but at least he is cover for 2 positions, which I think is very good, as we didn't have ANY left backs. We probably over paid for him, but....

Now, di Maria was a luxury signing, but one we can afford and one which could make the difference, just he didn't perform as a winger this season, so LVG doesn't know how to use him properly, even if I do think that he can work as a winger if he would work more with FB's and stops being selfish (of course for him to work as a winger, we would need to play deeper, but because we try to press more he only played well in a diamond and it could be a problem). I agree that for that money we could have maybe bought a defender and another CM, but I can't say that I don't understand it at all why he was bought.

For Falcao I do think we didn't need him, especially as he wasn't fit.

So, I would say that most of the signings we have bought were good choices, while I do agree that the di Maria money could have been spent better, but I can live with that transfer.
His signing has caused a problem, he is trying to prove to us that he should have a contract, but I think he is a reason Rooney has moved to midfield, amongst a lot of reasons. What is he going to have to do to prove his worth. He is running out of time and we might be as well.

bucky

Yeah, the important part is that it is your opinion. Ever thought about that what we got last summer, was the best we could get under the circumstances of no Champions League? Name 2 world class centre-halves, who were willing to move or were available to us last summer. Furthermore there aren't many great centre-halves around and most are/were settled at their clubs. Rojo is a decent defender and hasn't been as bad as some suggest, we've had our share of players of that kind. I don't mind bringing him in, since we'll most likely sign a better centre-half in the upcoming summer.

If you think we could sort out all our problems or areas where we are below the standard we are trying to get to in one transfer window, then you are naive and short-sighted. Most people were just happy that we brought in 2 central midfielders after the years of waiting. I'm one of them. Also, last summer's tranfer window was mostly a step in the right direction for me and something to build on. Ander Herrera will improve and be of better use once we drop the 3-5-2, especially in a 4-3-3 he could be great IMO.

We also got rid of a good number of players, who shouldn't be at this club anymore, we'll most likely continue with that.

The Bayern and Chelsea comparison is pointless, they've done better business for a while compared to us and before van Gaal arrived. They had a better squad and a much better season last year. It's easier to improve from there. Their stability and level is something we have to aim to achieve, but you don't get that in one transfer window, especially since Mourinho and Guardiola have been longer at their clubs than van Gaal.

My overall point was that what we brought in was good going forward and exactly what we need, but I did't say we got every piece we may need to be more successful. Currently, van Gaal's use of the squad is something I don't agree with.

Kounan

His signing has caused a problem, he is trying to prove to us that he should have a contract, but I think he is a reason Rooney has moved to midfield, amongst a lot of reasons. What is he going to have to do to prove his worth. He is running out of time and we might be as well.
Agree, but still don't know why did Rooney play yesterday as CM? I hope that RVP is injured for at least 2 games, so Falcao becomes the main man so we can see what he can do, or can't.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Long term: Don't sign Falcao and sell RVP, bring back Hernandez & Nani, sign a passing midfielder, a ball playing centre back and a top RB to compete with Rafael.

I don't see what we can do in January that wouldn't add another "squad" member, and that's the last thing we need unless he is something special..

DomesticTadpole

I don't think they are the wrong signing, just that we needed more signings. The number of games we have this season, it couldn't be justified. I think there will be a lot more in the summer.

bucky

No chance to get Depay now in January?
There probably is a chance, but as long as we continue to use 3-5-2, he won't have a place in the team. Even if we switch to 4-3-3 or something like that, he'll probably be inconsistent and not the answer to our problems at first. He's a great talent though.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... Schnielderlin ... is exactly what we need ... He is available, wants to leave and we can probably get him for under £30million, but we probably won't even bid for him. ...
You don't seriously expect that S'hampton would sell Schnielderlin this window do you? If so, it's cloud cuckoo land. They don't need the money and are going for a top 4 place ... the last thing they'll do now is strengthen a rival and weaken themselves.

Mark_GrumpyLion

No chance to get Depay now in January?
Don't see it happen. For one, LvG advised him to stay put for one more season and then move (which has me thinking that they might have discussed more with him, like a possible transfer?) Secondly, he has stated that he wants to finish the season with PSV and become champions. They are 4 points ahead from Ajax, and it hurts me to say it, but I believe PSV has a damn tight squad. Not sure if Ajax can keep up with them. Third: PSV isn't selling anyone this season, even if Depay and Wijnaldum are in high demand.

Summer: Yeah, pretty sure it will happen.
This window: No chance.

Devil may care

Nothing really gathering any momentum regarding United, but apart from City none of the bigger PL teams are active either. I wasn't expecint Hummles or any additions of pace to our frontline, and I did foolishly let myself hope for the Gundogan rumour to have some truth, but of the various bits of gossip Laporte is the one I'd like to see happen this window as LvG is not going to quit with his quirk regarding CB partnerships, so we need another left footed CB badly IMO as part of me wonders if Rojo's absence is the reason we aren't playing a back 4.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I actually think that Schnielderlin would be a good buy.
We need a midfield general and he fits the bill.

Many people on this forum have been saying that we need to buy defenders - we have one of the best defences in the league.
The more immediate problem is that we are not creating chances. If we have aspirations of winning the league, we must be able to create chances. Even if we leak goals, providing we are scoring, we can still get a win. But if we dont create any chances (like in our last game), it doesnt matter how good our defence is, we wont win the game.

Even more of a problem, IMO, is that we need to stop playing players out of position. This in itself, may cure the problem of our lack of chance creation.

If I were calling shots, in the Summer, I'd opt for Bale, in the Summer.

DomesticTadpole

Many people on this forum have been saying that we need to buy defenders - we have one of the best defences in the league.
The more immediate problem is that we are not creating chances. If we have aspirations of winning the league, we must be able to create chances. Even if we leak goals, providing we are scoring, we can still get a win. But if we dont create any chances (like in our last game), it doesnt matter how good our defence is, we wont win the game.

Even more of a problem, IMO, is that we need to stop playing players out of position. This in itself, may cure the problem of our lack of chance creation.

Our defence has stopped leaking goals, but they appear to be a completely seperate entity to the rest of the team and that is not good. The defence has to be able to relay the ball from the back via the midfield to the forwards. All they do now is hoof it foward or pass it between them, ignoring the rest of the team completely. If we don't start creating chances then there is always the chance of a defensive mistake or fluke goal going in at our end. Then we struggle.

Whiteside1985

Really?

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
We've let in the 4th least number of goals in the league with 21 (5 of which came from Leicester), 1 more than City (20), 2 more than Chelsea (19) and 6 more than Southampton (15).
If it wasn't for DDG it could've been 30.

Whiteside1985

We've let in the 4th least number of goals in the league with 21 (5 of which came from Leicester), 1 more than City (20), 2 more than Chelsea (19) and 6 more than Southampton (15).
Stats don't really prove anything. Our back line is lacking in leadership and looks very uncomfortable on the ball/passing. I agree that DDG is a major factor in keeping the 'goals against' column down. But, anyone who thinks we don't need to invest in a top-drawer centre-half much be watching a different team......

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Graham Hunter was talking about Laporte on talksport before. He mentioned that he has the same agent as Herrera and wouldn't be surprised if we went for him in January. Think he mentioned that he knows his agent personally as well.

Though he did also say that he was going to be Spain's starting defender in a couple of years so I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

Stan Jefferson

Stats don't really prove anything.
Thats simply not true though is it.

But, anyone who thinks we don't need to invest in a top-drawer centre-half much be watching a different team......
We do and I'm not sure anybody actually said any different (I may be wrong but I'm sure as hell not going back and reading more of the thread). I whole heartedly agree that chance creation is a major issue for this side at the moment though, we just didn't look like scoring on Sunday and its been like that too often this season (and last for that matter, it seems to be some sort of hangover from then if you ask me).

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Yeah let's buy 20 year old defenders when we clearly lack leaders in our back line. He would cost over £30million as well, why can't we just spend that on Godin's release clause?

DomesticTadpole

Graham Hunter was talking about Laporte on talksport before. He mentioned that he has the same agent as Herrera and wouldn't be surprised if we went for him in January. Think he mentioned that he knows his agent personally as well.

Though he did also say that he was going to be Spain's starting defender in a couple of years so I'd take that with a pinch of salt.
He's a French basque, not Spanish.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yeah let's buy 20 year old defenders when we clearly lack leaders in our back line. He would cost over £30million as well, why can't we just spend that on Godin's release clause?
Well for one, it would delay the process by 6 months as we aren't getting Godin in the winter. Not that I would be at all aggrieved at waiting to get Godin over the summer window...

C'est Moi Cantona

I'm pretty confident we'll sign someone significant this window, but it's anyone's guess who it is.
Na, we're not really been linked to anyone strongly, and it's already almost halfway through the window, we should save our pennies for the summer to get some proper players in, LvG has more than enough to get us top four with what we have.

Plus new players tend to take time to bed in so it could do more harm than good, having said that if we could get a RB in with prem experience who is ready to go then that would be good, as it might finally knock this 3-5-2 on the head.