Manchester United - January transfer window 2015 (twitter blacklist applies)

thelemon

I really hope we don't sell RvP. He'd only fetch 7-10m which won't make a difference to us. I'd rather keep him as a backup.

Infra-red

We've let in the 4th least number of goals in the league with 21 (5 of which came from Leicester), 1 more than City (20), 2 more than Chelsea (19) and 6 more than Southampton (15).
That's all well and good, but the problems with the defence are not limited to the number of goals they do or do not let in.

Putting aside for one moment the general lack of leadership, and the fact that none of our defenders look comfortable with their positioning or roles in a back 3... the inability of our current options to pass the ball out from the back is absolutely ruining any chance of fluency in our play. It's just a constant stream of sideways/backwards passes between themselves and De Gea (frequently over/under hit), or aimless hoofs up field to nobody. In a system which places particular emphasis on playing out from the back, it's catastrophic. Anybody who watched the Yeovil game couldn't fail to notice this, and Koeman specifically mentioned it as a weakness his Southampton side set out to exploit (successfully) at the weekend.

The defence just isn't up to standards, not even close, and if the club can go some way towards addressing that this month, they absolutely should.

Whiteside1985

That's all well and good, but the problems with the defence are not limited to the number of goals they do or do not let in.

Putting aside for one moment the general lack of leadership, and the fact that none of our defenders look comfortable with their positioning or roles in a back 3... the inability of our current options to pass the ball out from the back is absolutely ruining any chance of fluency in our play. It's just a constant stream of sideways/backwards passes between themselves and De Gea (frequently over/under hit), or aimless hoofs up field to nobody. In a system which places particular emphasis on playing out from the back, it's catastrophic. Anybody who watched the Yeovil game couldn't fail to notice this, and Koeman specifically mentioned it as a weakness his Southampton side set out to exploit (successfully) at the weekend.

The defence just isn't up to standards, not even close, and if the club can go some way towards addressing that this month, they absolutely should.
Exactly the point I was trying to make.
I think we already have the personnel in place to improve the number of chances we create, but I don't think we have the personnel to put together a really solid, organised defence.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Well that would be the bosses fault for relying on what his defenders cannot do. You need to play to the strengths of the squad, if the defenders cannot play out from the back then do something else.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don't see it happen. For one, LvG advised him to stay put for one more season and then move (which has me thinking that they might have discussed more with him, like a possible transfer?) Secondly, he has stated that he wants to finish the season with PSV and become champions. They are 4 points ahead from Ajax, and it hurts me to say it, but I believe PSV has a damn tight squad. Not sure if Ajax can keep up with them. Third: PSV isn't selling anyone this season, even if Depay and Wijnaldum are in high demand.

Summer: Yeah, pretty sure it will happen.
This window: No chance.
A bit off-topic but what do you make of Wijnaldum? He's been around for a while but he's still pretty young, and was featured in the WC. How does he compare to the best in the league? I'd imagine it's Memphis and Klassen at the top, would he follow?

Mark_GrumpyLion

A bit off-topic but what do you make of Wijnaldum? He's been around for a while but he's still pretty young, and was featured in the WC. How does he compare to the best in the league? I'd imagine it's Memphis and Klassen at the top, would he follow?
I have to admit that I haven't seen much of him, since I'm an Ajax supporter and rarely ever watch PSV. He has skill and style, but I think Klaassen has more potential (that is of course said through red-tinted glasses). LvG rates Klaassen also and I think he actually mentioned something about not selecting him because he was a bit too raw for the WC, but being very impressed with his progress. They are a bit similar in style and position (both a form of CAM) and both have the potential to be captain as well.

Wijnaldum did kick it up to be captain of PSV already and I would not be surprised to see him go this summer. Wijnaldum is approaching 24 and is near his prime, so to say. Klaassen is only 21 yet, so has more time and room to grow. If LvG is with United in a few years time still, I would not be surprised if he would go for Klaassen if we need a new CM/CAM.

Devil may care

I'd love to see him back here, he's got everything in his game to be an all time great midfielder and is still only 21.

MDFC Manager

Which is why Fellaini getting injured happened at a really bad time for us. He was our outlet via De Gea.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
it increased already last year when he signed his new contract.
Don't let him sign another one. They don't need to sell players, so tbh try to make it as difficult as possible for them to move. The fact this particular club will only sign Basques, they don't exactly have a big pool of players to choose from.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Just seen a headline on the Manchester Evening News saying United and City are in a fight for £50m Pogba, is there any truth in this? dont think I want him here.
Why not??? He's one of the best, most complete, central midfielders in the world with still potential to improve further. The fact that we let him go for nothing may be clouding your judgement - but that is gone, its in the past.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Last edited:

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Why not??? He's one of the best, most complete, central midfielders in the world with still potential to improve further. The fact that we let him go for nothing may be clouding your judgement - but that is gone, its in the past.
Only thing is that he isnt, some act as if he's already at the level Kroos, Modric, Rakitic, Fabregas, Toure, Lahm, Schweini, former Vidal, he is really inconsistent, leaves defensive tasks behind often, those beatiful goals doesnt make you one of the best CM's. He certainly has the potential to be the best cm in the world tho.

crimsonife

Only thing is that he isnt, some act as if he's already at the level Kroos, Modric, Rakitic, Fabregas, Toure, Lahm, Schweini, former Vidal, he is really inconsistent, leaves defensive tasks behind often, those beatiful goals doesnt make you one of the best CM's. He certainly has the potential to be the best cm in the world tho.
I think he's almost around that level already though. A little inconsistent but I would argue Rakitic isn't having a good season and Toure isn't always turning up. Add the fact that he's the next best thing to the list of midfielders up there who are all unavailable, and his age, it'd be a pretty good buy.

JPRouve

Scout
I agree with you, but for 50m he will probably be a bargain in the future.

JPRouve

Scout
I think he's almost around that level already though. A little inconsistent but I would argue Rakitic isn't having a good season and Toure isn't always turning up. Add the fact that he's the next best thing to the list of midfielders up there who are all unavailable, and his age, it'd be a pretty good buy.
He is not, he is very far from that level, if i'm being honest he is around Schneiderlin's level, but with the expensives little tricks and shiny goals.

crimsonife

He is not, he is very far from that level, if i'm being honest he is around Schneiderlin's level, but with the expensives little tricks and shiny goals.
The fact he's pretty inconsistent does make it hard to tell what his real quality is, but in the future he may be moved on to a bigger club where it will be too late to buy him like what you've said.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Man Utd's Dybala bid 'rejected'

Palermo “turned down Manchester United” offers for Paulo Dybala and rate the Argentine at “over €40m.”

The 21-year-old has scored nine Serie A goals and provided seven assists in 17 games this season, attracting interest from the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

“Dybala is worth over €40m, but I won’t sell him until June,” President Maurizio Zamparini told Radio Due.

“Many foreign clubs asked after him, including Manchester United. I told the English side that he is not for sale right now, but we can talk about it again in six months.

“In my view, he is the best striker in Europe at the moment.”

Palermo invested heavily in Dybala, signing him from Argentine club Instituto for €12m when he was just 18.

Zamparini also revealed Franco Vazquez “has just signed a renewal and I will not sell him to Juventus. In fact, I won’t sell him at all.”

http://www.football-italia.net/61194/man-utds-dybala-bid-rejected?

Silverman

The players we seem to be linked with:

RB - Coleman/Clyne

CB - Hummels/Laporte/Marquinos

CM - Strootman/Pogba/Schneiderlinn

Yeeeah, not many seem realistic.

Woodenlung

The players we seem to be linked with:

RB - Coleman/Clyne

CB - Hummels/Laporte/Marquinos

CM - Strootman/Pogba/Schneiderlinn

Yeeeah, not many seem realistic.
I'd argue that all of them are realistic bar Pogba and Hummels. Everton and Southampton have sold to us in the recent past as have Athletic. Laporte has a buy out clause so much like Herrera he'll be sold if someone meets it. Roma are a selling club and will give us Strootman at the right price. They sold Marquinhos and Benatia in successive summers and would've sold di Rossi had a bid come in early enough.

Godfather

Man Utd's Dybala bid 'rejected'

Palermo “turned down Manchester United” offers for Paulo Dybala and rate the Argentine at “over €40m.”

The 21-year-old has scored nine Serie A goals and provided seven assists in 17 games this season, attracting interest from the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

“Dybala is worth over €40m, but I won’t sell him until June,” President Maurizio Zamparini told Radio Due.

“Many foreign clubs asked after him, including Manchester United. I told the English side that he is not for sale right now, but we can talk about it again in six months.

“In my view, he is the best striker in Europe at the moment.”

Palermo invested heavily in Dybala, signing him from Argentine club Instituto for €12m when he was just 18.

Zamparini also revealed Franco Vazquez “has just signed a renewal and I will not sell him to Juventus. In fact, I won’t sell him at all.”

http://www.football-italia.net/61194/man-utds-dybala-bid-rejected?
Never heard of that guy.