Manchester United - January transfer window 2015 (twitter blacklist applies)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You know, some players could be unavailable, though I dont think they would turn us down in the end if we gave them enough money, witch we wont do. But I think if we really would like to get our hands on some of the biggest names in football now, we would be able to.
When have the biggest names in football moved in January?

Bojan11

Oddly enough, many others complain that we always seem to pay over the top for most players we sign, and not just because of last summer.
We overpaid for a lot of players under Fergie.

For me, if we want a player and he's going to improve us then we should pay whatever to get the player.

For years fans were moaning the club weren't spending. Now they are and people moaning.

I'm looking forward to another £150m spending spree.

Kag

Are you serious now? Football is business first of all. Every player on the earth has a price. If we had offered Dortmund £40 million for Hummels he would be ours for sure imo. I dont think we want to use £40 million on Hummels, thats to much.

We are not Real Madrid, that pay the asking price without any question. We try to get the best deal and we dont want to pay over the top for anyone. Its not about if a player is available, its more about what we think the players value is and what we want to spend to get the player.

What I am proposing now is that we because of fear of losing CL again, will could act as Real Madrid, and get at least one of the players we want and need now. Its only about money, not if they are available. I guess that available in LvG mind means right price.
This isn't Football Manager. If Hummels doesn't want to leave, and nothing indicates that he does, then he stays in Germany. It isn't rocket science.

"We don't want to pay over the top for anyone."

Are you sure about that? We've blasted our way through the last two transfer windows with monster purchases. Even the mess of Summer 2013 was concluded with a gigantic payment for a gigantic Belgian and a reported world record bid for Gareth Bale.

Cassidy

There will be some that have, but overall the biggest moves happen in the summer because it just makes more sense for the deals to happen then.
That's exactly my point, which is why what the club have been saying makes sense.
If we can get them in great, but if not I'll happily wait till the summer.

Acquire Me

When have the biggest names in football moved in January?
Mata and Suarez comes to mind, but of course, January is not the best time for transfers of the biggest names. My point is only that its a possibility and that we maybe should pay over the top for a player we really need. We should have signed a big defender in the summer, so that was a mistake imo.

Cassidy

Mata and Suarez comes to mind, but of course, January is not the best time for transfers of the biggest names. My point is only that its a possibility and that we maybe should pay over the top for a player we really need. We should have signed a big defender in the summer, so that was a mistake imo.
Seriously...
Mata - The player who wasn't getting any minutes at his club, and club did not want.
Suarez - big name player when he was playing at Ajax? No

Acquire Me

This isn't Football Manager. If Hummels doesn't want to leave, and nothing indicates that he does, then he stays in Germany. It isn't rocket science.

"We don't want to pay over the top for anyone."

Are you sure about that? We've blasted our way through the last two transfer windows with monster purchases. Even the mess of Summer 2013 was concluded with a gigantic payment for a gigantic Belgian and a reported world record bid for Gareth Bale.
I know that we probably would fail to sign some players regardless of money, but my point is only that money talks usually. We could probably if we acted as Real Madrid, get a target even though its January.

We could be on our way to become one of the clubs that pays over the top. But I am sure we don't want to be a club like that. If we actually made a world record bid of that size for Bale, we are becoming a monster in football.

Gee Male

Not surprised by his comments today. I dont expect us to bring anyone in which will be a mistake....one that we could very well regret come the end of the season.

That defence is nowhere near the standard required for CL Football and i just do not fancy us to perform well enough to guarantee a top 4 finish. If we make it, its cause others will have thrown it away.
We've conceded one more than City and two more than Chelsea in the league, and while a lot of that is down to DDG, the Leicester game alone was such an anomaly that it almost negates that alone.

Six clean sheets so far probably isn't good enough, but if we were scoring enough at the other end we wouldn't notice.

We need some pace injected up front. Which is why I'm half hoping we start with Januzaj up front this weekend - someone who can take it to feet or want it in behind the defence.

Completely wrong thread, but hey ho.

Acquire Me

Seriously...
Mata - The player who wasn't getting any minutes at his club, and club did not want.
Suarez - big name player when he was playing at Ajax? No
Hehe, probably really bad examples :)

But to end this discussion, as its only about what money can do or cant do, I am wondering if you guys think we will sign anyone?

I must say that I don't think we will sign anyone.

Bojan11

We've conceded one more than City and two more than Chelsea in the league, and while a lot of that is down to DDG, the Leicester game alone was such an anomaly that it almost negates that alone.

Six clean sheets so far probably isn't good enough, but if we were scoring enough at the other end we wouldn't notice.

We need some pace injected up front. Which is why I'm half hoping we start with Januzaj up front this weekend - someone who can take it to feet or want it in behind the defence.

Agreed.

Not happy with the defence obviously. But when you don't get a chance on target at home then questions need to be asked about attack.

soapythecat

Totally agree other than I think we need RB who can stay fit too.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Manchester United will attempt to prise right-back Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton in this transfer window, and sources say the club still want to make two signings in January, despite Louis van Gaal playing down all transfer speculation on Friday.

United's transfer plans have altered slightly, sources said, because of the chances of signing Kevin Strootman in this window receding, and attention has turned to the right and centre of defence.

Clyne is a long-term Old Trafford target, and all indications from Southampton are that he will leave in the summer. United's determination to ensure they finish in the top four, however, has meant they will attempt to negotiate with the high-flying south-coast club this January.

Van Gaal had privately been adamant that they should try and get Strootman this window, but Roma have been completely unwilling to sell now, and the Dutch coach is accepting they will have to wait until the summer for a deal that could cost up to 40 million pounds.

Sources say United currently have a list of up to 12 targets -- with many obvious fall-backs -- as they seek to bolster two positions. Some of the names have been much discussed, from Mats Hummels and Diego Godin to Ron Vlaar, but United are also said to be interested in Marquinhos of Paris Saint-Germain.

As regards the complicated Radamel Falcao situation, that will ultimately come down to Monaco's demands, and the current asking price -- 43.5 million pounds -- would be unfeasible.

United are also unlikely to make any sales in this window, but Van Gaal may well restructure the entire defence in the summer.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/2247071...nathaniel-clyne-to-bolster-defencesources-say

RedorDead21

Well in the Premier League Andy Cole signed for us in Jan which sent shock waves around the league as he was a prolific striker back in those days.
How fast was Andy Cole? Honest question....Im struggling to recall.

Silverman

Are we going to sign anyone this window? Unlike last January, I don't think we need to sign anyone but we will definitely need to strengthen a lot in the summer.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Matic to Chelsea
Evra to us
Mascherano to liverpool
All were highly regarded and went on to become great players but aside from Mascherano they were hardly high profile players at the time of their transfers.

Cassidy

Vidic
Evra
Mata

For us anyway.
Biggest names in football, none of them we're, you could argue Mata however he was a player not wanted by his club.

Cassidy

Matic to Chelsea
Evra to us
Mascherano to liverpool
Matic was not one of the biggest names in football when he moved to Chelsea, Mascherano wasn't either (when he went to pool). Evra wasn't either

itso 7

Biggest names in football, none of them we're, you could argue Mata however he was a player not wanted by his club.
What's that got to do with how a big name is? Mata was not wanted by his club anymore but so was Beckham when he moved to Madrid but that did not take anything away from his value as a brand!

JohnnyLaw

What's that got to do with how a big name is? Mata was not wanted by his club anymore but so was Beckham when he moved to Madrid but that did not take anything away from his value as a brand!
Though, It wasn't because of footballing reasons that Beckham wasn't wanted here anymore. Mata wasn't considered good enough.

ChaddyP

Surprised no one has mentioned Torres 50 million dollar January move. He was a big name. And wasn't completely shit when he was being moved.

itso 7

Though, It wasn't because of footballing reasons that Beckham wasn't wanted here anymore. Mata wasn't considered good enough.
Two time club poty i the previous two campaigns, just because he didn't suit Mourinho's style doesn't mean that he wasn't good enough. Mourinho could have easiliy found a role for him if he wanted but the fact that he didn't want to shouldn't take anything away from Mata's achievements at Chelsea.