Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

AneRu

Thats BS. Midfield needs an upgrade but RW and CB were clearly higher priority.

Hindsight is easy, but if we'd spent VDB on a number 6 we'd be in much better shape. I'd love to know who's decision that was when he can't even get a game.
Guess the higher ups wanted to manage perceptions and needed a few signings to silence the base but summer of 2020 was a complete waste of time and money. And now with European clubs on the ropes no one is taking VDB off our hands for good money. Its a mess.

Midfield was as important as RW and CB imo. With McT fit we still had arguably the worst midfield in the top four and now it just got worse with Matic upgraded to a starter even after his horror show last season. Anyone with half a brain could see we needed a midfielder, there is no hindsight in that, its just negligence and poor planning from the club.

laughtersassassin

We signed Sancho & Varane and you are saying it's not looking much different? :houllier:
We have had other good summers. (Ibra Pogba Mhki Bailly)

This one is decent. The sale situation as bad as before.

Midfield situation terrible.

I'm not writing the new transfer lads off but this hasn't shown dramatic change or improvement as of yet.

It's still up in the air.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We have had other good summers. (Ibra Pogba Mhki Bailly)

This one is decent. The sale situation as bad as before.

Midfield situation terrible.

I'm not writing the new transfer lads off but this hasn't shown dramatic change or improvement as of yet.

It's still up in the air.
I can understand if we are comparing Sancho’s signing to Pogba’s signing. But Varane is miles better signing than Zlatan, Mkhi, Bailly. On paper, Varane’s signing is equivalent to RVP’s signing. Sancho and Varane are our best summer signings post SAF.

Haven’t you been reading all the tweets about our approach? We are no longer approach players using money alone and using lawyer. Both Murtough and Fletcher offer our project and that’s why we managed to convince Varane.

Camavinga was reported not convinced to join us as he prefers to stay in France this year. That could be the reason why we no longer push the move. We don’t want another Sanchez signing where player comes here for money.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Those of you claiming we've had a great summer - how much do the Glazers pay you? Because they better be paying you for spouting such nonsense with such conviction when our rivals are leaving us in the mud.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's all relative really.

In isolation Varane and Sancho are both excellent signings at seemingly good prices in positions we needed to strengthen.

However, if for example a club like Chelsea were to both spend more than us and make signings that effectively made them favourites for the title then our dealings seem less impressive, as (it would seem) we had allowed a team we finished ahead of last season to steal a march on us.

Having said that, I can also understand the desire/need to sell before more purchases as our squad does look a bit bloated.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
We're just one signing away from having a brilliant team as things stand. And if we end up signing no one after the acquisitions of Sancho and Varane, then I'm still happy with our squad. And with the young potential coming through the ranks, it's gonna be a interesting few seasons ahead which I'm looking forward to.

Ole has said he's very happy with the squad and I believe most managers in Europe will be looking on with envy when they see the quality we possess.

We drew the game against Soton which I see has caused anxiety among some of our fans. But for me I'm looking forward to seeing a Man Utd team that consistently adopts a proactive approach starting with a high line with and without the ball. And I'm still hopeful the Glazers will release funds for one more signing.
Agreed. Another midfielder is needed but the squad is still strong and we need to see a title challenge this season.

croadyman

I didn't jump on the bandwagon when we signed Sancho or Varane, nor will I be criticising now. Such appointments are about more than one or two transfer windows.

Besides, the fact our deadwood is not particularly wanted is a big hindrance.
Yeah trying to sell our deadwood is like trying to push a heavy boulder up a big hill

croadyman

I maintain that Sancho and Varane is a good window.

Three starters in one window (despite needed) was never realistic.
Would have been very realistic IF we had spent more sensibly last summer but sadly we panicked instead

croadyman

We're just one signing away from having a brilliant team as things stand. And if we end up signing no one after the acquisitions of Sancho and Varane, then I'm still happy with our squad. And with the young potential coming through the ranks, it's gonna be a interesting few seasons ahead which I'm looking forward to.

Ole has said he's very happy with the squad and I believe most managers in Europe will be looking on with envy when they see the quality we possess.

We drew the game against Soton which I see has caused anxiety among some of our fans. But for me I'm looking forward to seeing a Man Utd team that consistently adopts a proactive approach starting with a high line with and without the ball. And I'm still hopeful the Glazers will release funds for one more signing.
Yeah they would if deciding to completely ignore our centre midfield options

RUCK4444

Would have been very realistic IF we had spent more sensibly last summer but sadly we panicked instead
Yeah because one of the two we got this summer was supposed to be last seasons marquee signing.

It’s a good window for us but I still think it’s sh*t that a club of our size can’t get a midfielder when it desperately needs one without selling players first. Is what it is.

croadyman

Yeah because one of the two we got this summer was supposed to be last seasons marquee signing.

It’s a good window for us but I still think it’s sh*t that a club of our size can’t get a midfielder when it desperately needs one without selling players first. Is what it is.
Yeah it's utter shit indeed and wouldn't feel quite so sick about Ronaldo IF we had got a Verratti

Rolaholic

Would hope that they've got one last move up their sleeve before the end of the window given all the happenings around Europe and our rivals right now.

Mbappe going to Madrid, Messi at PSG and City breaking the league transfer record and following it up by signing Ronaldo...

We've got to do something

dinostar77

Would hope that they've got one last move up their sleeve before the end of the window given all the happenings around Europe and our rivals right now.

Mbappe going to Madrid, Messi at PSG and City breaking the league transfer record and following it up by signing Ronaldo...

We've got to do something
We did we signed sancho and varane

Someone

Something
We can't say this is a bad window, it's definitely a good one, and the message sent was always that we needed to sell to add more, in that sense our biggest failure is not being able to offload players.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, and most top clubs struggle to sell these days with Chelsea being always the exception, but I wonder if we make it clear to some players that they aren't in our plans, instead of we're happy for you to stay and fight for it.

Red_toad

Mata is not affecting the team's ability to sign a midfielder.
Pretty sure he won't be training for free and his several millions per season will be taking away funds that 'could' be used elsewhere. Or indeed cover the wages of a midfielder we bring into the club, who may actually make a regular contribution.

Kaos

Renewing mata and matic was yet another mismanagement of funds.
And Jones, and Bailly. It's a joke how terrified the club are of letting players go for free, so they insist on giving them contracts they wouldn't realistically get anywhere else, meaning we definitely won't be able to sell them, meaning they'd still likely go for free.

TheRedHearted

Pretty sure it's more that Dortmund and Real have been ravaged financially by covid. We went for Sancho last season and offered them £90m.

Woodward was a bit of a meme with all his weird noodle deals but there's a reason we have a lot of money to spend and Real, an absolute giant in world football, are screwed. United are a well run business.
This didn’t age well with Madrid offering 170 million for mbappe.

oz insomniac

This looks like ending as a typical Woodward/Glazers window, tantalising but unable to complete as a finished product.

Whether it’s the lack of sales ( still feels like a balance sheet issue) or a seemingly lack of ambition needed to finance the signing need to complete the window, it’s still on the owners and CEO. The roster needs that DM to ensure balance at the need3d level, we can dream but until that position is filled, we remain behind Citeh and Chelski, and in competition with Liverpool and Leicester. A waste of an opportunity that has been seen before unfortunately.

Tarrou

If we don’t get a midfielder I’d say this window has been a massive failure, personally

- going into the season with Pogba unresolved could unsettle our season
- going into the season with two top goalkeepers could unsettle our season
- haven’t shifted deadwood (yet)
- still depending on McT which is never going to win us the league vs to this city side
- some decent midfield options available for decent prices too

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The only thing you can criticise them for is not being more forceful in telling players they are not needed.
And we can't even be sure they haven't done that. Chelsea have raised £100m in sales. City have raised almost half that, we have raised nothing.
Thinking you can fill holes without getting rid of players is a fantasy.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Some bonkers posts in this thread. We've signed Jadon Sancho and Raphael feckin Varane! Most of us would have been absolutely delighted if we were told we were adding those two back in May. This place is so bloody quick to find reasons to be miserable.

Rightnr

Some bonkers posts in this thread. We've signed Jadon Sancho and Raphael feckin Varane! Most of us would have been absolutely delighted if we were told we were adding those two back in May. This place is so bloody quick to find reasons to be miserable.
Pathetic low expectations. Most of us can see midfield is the big issue.

We signed someone like Varane only because of the cheap price tag and Sancho was last year's signing for cheap.

So what exactly is this big achievement that you're so happy about? Solidifying our top 4 legacy while City and Chelsea leave us for dead?

DevilsOwn

Pathetic low expectations. Most of us can see midfield is the big issue.

We signed someone like Varane only because of the cheap price tag and Sancho was last year's signing for cheap.

So what exactly is this big achievement that you're so happy about? Solidifying our top 4 legacy while City and Chelsea leave us for dead?
Wow. Look at you belittling two brilliant signings to suit your narrative.
Varane on cheap - a truly world class defender, a key position that needed strengthening - is a brilliant 10/10 deal
sancho - last years on cheap - another potentially world class wide option - a position we needed creative options - is another brilliant signing. atleast a 8/10.

these are great achievements in the transfer market, esp given the economic situation.

City/Chelsea play by different rules. We have to build a team, they can buy a squad.

Rightnr

And do Real play by different rules? The quality of the players has zilch to do with how good the actual business was.

The only reason we've not bought anyone
beyond the obvious is the utter incompetence in selling players and the lack of decisiveness in pushing those who think they might still have a place out of the club.

We have an obvious hole in our team and next year there'll be another one. We're always at least one, usually two steps behind in completing our rebuild.

We won't be winning feck all with the current set-up of owners and people in charge because they lack any sort of ambition, except of keeping the cash flow coming in.

Foxbatt

We paid 45 for DVB and he can't get a game. We have Jones, Mata, Bailly and Lingard all surplus. Ronaldo going for less than DVB. We are trying to do things on the cheap? Varane and Sancho are very good on paper. So was Seba Veron. It's too early to say if they will be a huge success.