Manchester United ready to back José Mourinho with £100m-plus in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban

Would rather see a takeover by rich oil country, 100m nothing in today market. A takeover by the rich oil country to me would be like winning the champion league.

Would bring us on a level playing field with Man City.

Would not care if we lost top 4 this season if I knew there was light at the end of the tunnel with a takeover.

Without it cannot see us winning the league.

it a joke on paper we are the richest football club in the world, In my eyes, we are the poorest club in the top 10 clubs in Europe with our massive debt.
I hope this is a joke post.
Cause if it's not literally everything with it is wrong.

Ban

But your attempted "quick fix" approach has seen you finish outside the top 4 three times since Fergie retired - and it's now on the cards for a 4th time.

When does deciding on - and prioritising - a long-term strategy begin? It'll be never if you continue down the "spend lots in more attempted quick fixes" path.
Tell me, what's the Spurs' long term plan?

Patrick08

But your attempted "quick fix" approach has seen you finish outside the top 4 three times since Fergie retired - and it's now on the cards for a 4th time.

When does deciding on - and prioritising - a long-term strategy begin? It'll be never if you continue down the "spend lots in more attempted quick fixes" path.
Wouldn't call it a quick fix approach, the managers have effing lost it with their stubbornness to show flexibility with the playing style, while their favouritism has cost them dearly on results.

Such a good squad wasted with the style they are preferring to play with and the team selections put on the field which do not match the tactics deployed on the pitch, and a ceo lacking any footballing brains making a mess of things in the market acting reactively most of the time.

It is.

A- We don't always buy young talent. Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, mata and co are a clear example. If mou would have added more experienced players if he had his way

B- youths need to be nurtured and has to be played regularly. Mou's lack of patience with kids is world renowned
Mata is just about to play his 200th game for us and he’s just turned 30. He’s exactly the sort of player we should have been signing.

They do very well despite spending far less then we do. Id swap their team to ours in a heart beat
Why don’t you go and swap your scarf then - no one needs supporters like you.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Mata is just about to play his 200th game for us and he’s just turned 30. He’s exactly the sort of player we should have been signing.

Why don’t you go and swap your scarf then - no one needs supporters like you.
Mata was bought at age 27 when his career was already in decline. I love mata but That's not what we needed.

What's wrong in praising what is due and facing the truth? Are we becoming RAWK? In reality what many like myself are asking is a return to the united way witnessed in SAF glory days

Last edited:

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Mata was bought at age 27 when his career was already in decline. I love mata but That's not what we needed.

What's wrong in praising what is due and facing the truth? Are we becoming RAWK?
Juan Mata has completed his £37.1m move from Chelsea to Manchester United in a record transfer deal for the reigning Premier League champions.

The Spain midfielder had a medical on Saturday and has signed a contract, understood to run until summer 2018.

Mata, 25, is likely to make his debut at home against Cardiff on Tuesday.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/25882972

Patrick08

My mistake then. Its amazing how a player can become so obsolete at such tender age
I am amazed he lasted 200 games, that too on the wing. Needs to be moved on for a better playmaker who needs to play in his natural position.

roonster09

Scout
:lol::lol::lol: Nice work.

Who needs due diligence when you can just make stuff up like devilish.
It's amazing how he praised Juventus and blamed Manutd for not signing young players.

When pointed out how we have signed so many young players - his reply was we don't always sign young talents, we also sign few old players.
When pointed out how Juventus also signed old players - goal posts were again moved.
Compared Juventus model to Spurs - when pointed out Juventus spend big on wages and transfer fee, point was changed to, they get best out of players.

It's ever changing point. I just gave up after some time.

ROFLUTION

Isn't it sort of a generally accepted fact that a player's best years usually comes around the age 25-30?

Just watched a Preben Elkjær documentary yesterday (The danish Legend who won Serie A with Verona), and he mentioned it himself. Thought it was pretty spot on. It's where you have a good amount of experience, skills, and also knowledge on how to deal with things.

Smores

Isn't it sort of a generally accepted fact that a player's best years usually comes around the age 25-30?

Just watched a Preben Elkjær documentary yesterday (The danish Legend who won Serie A with Verona), and he mentioned it himself. Thought it was pretty spot on. It's where you have a good amount of experience, skills, and also knowledge on how to deal with things.
It used to be, everyone on here seems to think it's 20-25 these days. Fill a team with 20 year olds and we'll be best in world apparently

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We never saw anywhere near to his brilliance at chelsea
We would have if we had made him a key cog of the system and built the team around him.

We shafted him onto the right wing instead.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Always post this and when someone posts about minutes played by U20 and U21 players, just ignore that and run away.
Giving playing minutes to U20 and U21 players does not amount to a long-term strategy.

And nor is it about minutes played, but rather how many of them successfully become first team squad regulars, or (even better) established parts if your first XI.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Tell me, what's the Spurs' long term plan?
I've previously explained it. We're several steps along the path, with the addition of the (now-finished) player lodge to our new training centre being the immediately previous step, and completion of our new stadium being the next step.

The aim is to establish Spurs as one of the elite clubs.

I've previously explained it. We're several steps along the path, with the addition of the (now-finished) player lodge to our new training centre being the immediately previous step, and completion of our new stadium being the next step.

Their long term plan is buying exactly zero players each year until they have paid off their stadium.

Absoubtly - and is a good rule of thumb, we can all point to exceptions. Players like Cantona, Yorke and Mata are good examples of the types of players in that age range who are ready to go straight into the first team.

roonster09

Scout
Giving playing minutes to U20 and U21 players does not amount to a long-term strategy.

And nor is it about minutes played, but rather how many of them successfully become first team squad regulars, or (even better) established parts if your first XI.
Go on and name them.

Rashford, Martial, Shaw all joined as young players and now part of first team squad. Lingard was academy product who joined various clubs on loan and now is a regular first team player. Then we have players like Bailly who joined when he was just 22.

Anyways since you are here, lets revisit old argument too.

The point is that United don't give younger players enough chances to develop
Your list includes eight players aged 23 or older … that's hardly a definition of 'youth' players.
Total mins by U20 players

ManUtd - 180
Spurs - 6

Last season mins played by U20 players
ManUtd - 2678 mins
Spurs - 722 mins

2016-17
ManUtd - 3906 mins
Spurs - 667 mins

So much for playing Young players.
So which team is giving mins to young players?

Also you keep on repeating same thing that Manutd is looking for quick fixes because they signed few old players when we have signed young players more often than not. It's like using Sissoko and Llorente as example to say Spurs sign old players and looking for quick fixes.

Spurs player ages when they were signed.
Trippier - 25
Lloris - 27
Toby - 26
Vertonghen - 25
Son - 23
Wanyama - 25
Sissoko - 27
Llorente - 32
Dembele - 25
Aurier - 25
Lucas - 25/26
Fazio - 27

That's usually the age when ManUtd signs too except very few exceptions like Matic, Sanchez or free players like Ibra.

Greck

It is. There are even studies to support this across several sports
http://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2015/05/player-progression-in-the-nba/

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/artic...why-its-all-downhill-once-nba-players-turn-30

http://wagesofwins.com/nba-players-age-like-milk

Few people here dispute everything just to sound smart

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I agree. Sadly TFM doesn’t look like he’s developing into the player we hoped he could be. Hasn’t really impressed on loan, we need to get on with buying a top level young right back.
I think what most people liked about TFM, was his size. On this forum, people get very excited when they see a wrestler on the pitch. What they don't understand is that a wrestler's physique is not suited to playing elite level football.
Our latest problem is Lukaku who is probably the heaviest player in the league and as a result gets tired very quickly.
I have reached a point where I am sick and tired of Jose using tall players. We played MCFC the other day and their short players ran circles around our giants.

Re: RB: Like you said, assuming Dalot isn't going to be ready for a few years, we need to look into getting a RB, who can immediately do a job for us and is not injury prone. Making do with make shift RBs is getting tiresome.
And let's not forget about needing an RW - the right hand side of our pitch, desperately needs updating.

In Rainbows

I think what most people liked about TFM, was his size. On this forum, people get very excited when they see a wrestler on the pitch. What they don't understand is that a wrestler's physique is not suited to playing elite level football.
Our latest problem is Lukaku who is probably the heaviest player in the league and as a result gets tired very quickly.
I have reached a point where I am sick and tired of Jose using tall players. We played MCFC the other day and their short players ran circles around our giants.

Re: RB: Like you said, assuming Dalot isn't going to be ready for a few years, we need to look into getting a RB, who can immediately do a job for us and is not injury prone. Making do with make shift RBs is getting tiresome.
And let's not forget about needing an RW - the right hand side of our pitch, desperately needs updating.
Actually what I liked about TFM, was his tackling ability. Felt it was special. Also at the time he was seen as a CB (that could also play at FB and CM) and his technique for that was of good quality. TFM not shining at his age has nothing to do with his physique, and more to do with his attacking technique required of the modern fullback. Also still a little rash which can become a bit of a problem as the last line of defense.

Ban

Good luck with that. Maybe it will happen, who knows.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Become Arsenal II.
I thought we were Arsenal II?
We are a top 4 club, whose manager is required to get top 4....nothing more, nothing less.
To do this, while spending little in the transfer market, will allow us to make the most profit. Wasn't this Arsenal's raison d'être?

roonster09

Scout
I thought we were Arsenal II?
We are a top 4 club, whose manager is required to get top 4....nothing more, nothing less.
To do this, while spending little in the transfer market, will allow us to make the most profit. Wasn't this Arsenal's raison d'être?
Not this shit again. Please don't bore me with the same tedious post full of assumptions and little logic.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Actually what I liked about TFM, was his tackling ability. Felt it was special. Also at the time he was seen as a CB (that could also play at FB and CM) and his technique for that was of good quality. TFM not shining at his age has nothing to do with his physique, and more to do with his attacking technique required of the modern fullback. Also still a little rash which can become a bit of a problem as the last line of defense.
Fair enough.
Personally, I never saw anything special about him. All he was, was young and big.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Not this shit again. Please don't bore me with the same tedious post full of assumptions and little logic.
What's your argument against it?
Try debating against the post using logic, rather than just saying, "Not this shit again."
Any idiot can come out with something like that, without knowing anything about a topic.

devilish

Nope we instead wait the likes of Juventus and Spurs to buy players which we then offer ridiculous sums of money to try and lure them to OT.
Players we either don't utilise or sold/nearly sold too early

I am not against signing the occasionally big name. However going for players who had won everything there is to win and are looking for a last pay cheque is stupid. How did it served us having Matic, Sanchez, Mata and co around?
the point is that your argument that signing bargains can't win you things is wrong. Juventus do it all the time with the occasional big signing and they can't stop winning.
Juventus had been competitive for the last 60 years. Plenty of dynasties had risen and fallen throughout that time
I think you always need the occasional big signing to close a gap which spurs can't afford. However their model is closer to SAF/juve model then Mou's model is. Its also far more effective then buying players for lulz always to forget having signed them after few months
It is.

A- We don't always buy young talent. Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, mata and co are a clear example. If mou would have added more experienced players if he had his way

B- youths need to be nurtured and has to be played regularly. Mou's lack of patience with kids is world renowned
@roonster09 I never said Juventus only sign youth players. Were did you get that?

All I said is that Juventus tend to sign value players with the occasional big name. They don't tend to spend ridiculous money on a player whose searching a last paycheck unless its worth it (Ronaldo brought ton of sponsors to them)

What's wrong in saying that if we're spending crazy money then we should do it on someone young?

roonster09

Scout
What's your argument against it?
Try debating against the post using logic, rather than just saying, "Not this shit again."
Any idiot can come out with something like that, without knowing anything about a topic.
I have seen that, you even argued same thing against me and I made my points. No sane guy will let 100 million worth of players to enter last year of contract just to save 10 million in wages. No, no one will ever do that. It's a high risk where you lose 100 million worth of assets for nothing.

ManUtd spent second highest money in last 5 years or since SAF retired and also have second highest wage bill and by far the biggest wage bill in England. That's not minimal investment.

So yeah, any idiot can just assume and make all the points based on entire assumption with little or no logic. Nothing to back it up.

roonster09

Scout
@roonster09 I never said Juventus only sign youth players. Were did you get that?
You said we have to be like Juventus and when @Cassidy pointed out we have signed lot of young players, you said.

We don't always buy young talent. Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, mata and co are a clear example
Not sure what you meant by that when it's very clear that we sign Young players more often than not and very few old players.

devilish

You said we have to be like Juventus and when @Cassidy pointed out we have signed lot of young players, you said.

Not sure what you meant by that when it's very clear that we sign Young players more often than not and very few old players.
Please highlight the exact quotes. My first post was in response to your response to @GlastonSpur who said that United's decline was due to us not searching for bargain gems (or value). You said that no thanks to that since Spurs had won nothing through that route in which I rebutted by sarcastically saying that we should wait for the likes of Juventus and Spurs to buy those players up only to then try to lure those players back for ridiculous money.

We've tried the FM way, spending 400m on

This is the attitude that's gotten United on the slide since Fergie retired. £100m is a huge sum if spent wisely. People say there are no more bargain gems left in this inflated market, but they are wrong

Spurs last three signings: Juan Foyth for £11.2m, Lucas Moura for £25m, Paulo Gazzaniga (sum unknown but not much) ... so for a fair bit less than £50m we've likely sorted a near-future 1st choice CB, our future GK after Lloris and a pacy and dangerous attacking player who has featured lots for us this season.

United could follow a similar path if they chose and start building for the long-term ... it doesn't have to be always about spending £50m per player or more.
No thanks. It's not like Spurs are winning loads of trophies and dominating league to follow your example.
Nope we instead wait the likes of Juventus and Spurs to buy players which we then offer ridiculous sums of money to try and lure them to OT.
Regarding my second quote it was in response to this. Once again I didn't said that Juventus only sign youths. All I said is spending ridiculous money on players who had already won everything there is to win and are looking for a last pay cheque is stupid.

Like Dalot Memphis Martial Shaw....

Like Fosu Mensah, Chong...

I am not against signing the occasionally big name. However going for players who had won everything there is to win and are looking for a last pay cheque is stupid. How did it served us having Matic, Sanchez, Mata and co around?
So the problem isn't really with the transfer strategy when we are actually buying these young players for the future.

roonster09

Scout
Please highlight the exact quotes. My first post was in response to your response to @GlastonSpur who said that United's decline was due to us not searching for bargain gems (or value). You said that no thanks to that since Spurs had won nothing through that route in which I rebutted by sarcastically saying that we should wait for the likes of Juventus and Spurs to buy those players up only to then try to lure those players back for ridiculous money.

We've tried the FM way, spending 400m on

Regarding my second quote it was in response to this. Once again I didn't said that Juventus only sign youths.
If you didn't say that, then yeah it's a mistake on my part. Can you tell me what you mean by this "We don't always buy young talent. Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, mata and co are a clear example" after praising Juventus transfer strategy?

devilish

If you didn't say that, then yeah it's a mistake on my part. Can you tell me what you mean by this "We don't always buy young talent. Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, mata and co are a clear example" after praising Juventus transfer strategy?
This is all the train of posts on that regard. Please note

A- Juventus are mentioned once and it was regarding your post of us not wanting to buy bargains as we want to win trophies. Bargain signings were the true focus of the posts not youths. In fact my criticism was towards throwing crazy money for players who had won everything there is to win and are looking for a last pay cheque
B- Cassidy mentioned youths out of the blues and he picked up players from different eras (Mourinho and LVG)
C- I answered to that by saying that we don't always go for youths and I challenged his idea that we're youth centric under Mou by saying that if he had his way then we would have bought way more older players (Willian, Perisic, Toby to mention a few) then we actually did.
D- Finally I ended the post by saying that buying youths is pointless if we fail to nurture them and to play them on a regular basis, reminding him that Mou's lack of patience with kids is world renowned.

Like Dalot Memphis Martial Shaw....

Like Fosu Mensah, Chong...

So the problem isn't really with the transfer strategy when we are actually buying these young players for the future.
It is.

Status
Not open for further replies.