g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Manchester United ready to back José Mourinho with £100m-plus in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is all the train of posts on that regard. Please note

A- Juventus are mentioned once and it was regarding your post of us not wanting to buy bargains as we want to win trophies. Bargain signings were the true focus of the posts not youths. In fact my criticism was towards throwing crazy money for players who had won everything there is to win and are looking for a last pay cheque
B- Cassidy mentioned youths out of the blues and he picked up players from different eras (Mourinho and LVG)
C- I answered to that by saying that we don't always go for youths and I challenged his idea that we're youth centric under Mou by saying that if he had his way then we would have bought way more older players (Willian, Perisic, Toby to mention a few) then we actually did.
D- Finally I ended the post by saying that buying youths is pointless if we fail to nurture them and to play them on a regular basis, reminding him that Mou's lack of patience with kids is world renowned.
Fair enough.

You are clearly wrong about me not wanting to buy bargains though. I said we shouldn't follow Spurs model, doesn't mean I'm against bargain signing.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So obsolete after having been Chelsea player ot the year twice just before we brought him!
He was in decline by the time we bought him, in fact, Mou wanted him out. He was right as Mata never improved afterwards.

devilish

Fair enough.

You are clearly wrong about me not wanting to buy bargains though. I said we shouldn't follow Spurs model, doesn't mean I'm against bargain signing.
maybe you were misunderstood which is fair enough. All I wanted to show you is that Spurs model (with the additional big signing when needed) can work. It worked with SAF and it works with Juve. I am not even against signings old players once in a while (ex Teddy) as long as

a- they have the hunger to win
b- we don't spend silly money on them.

My criticism is towards old players whom we spend crazy money upon and who seem coming at OT for their last paycheck.

PS: I think Juventus currently have a more effective system then ours however its not perfect either. For example I think that the fee/contract given to Ronaldo is outrageous and stupid.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
maybe you were misunderstood which is fair enough. All I wanted to show you is that Spurs model (with the additional big signing when needed) can work. It worked with SAF and it works with Juve.
This is where I disagree. Spurs model is nowhere near what we had during SAF and Juventus have. Transfer fee is small part of equation. ManUtd always topped or in second place when it comes to paying players, same with Juventus. Spurs aren't.

All clubs sign few young players who turn out to be great, doesn't mean models are same. I even pointed out how much money Juventus have spent compared to Spurs, to which you replied they get best out of the players. If that's the case you can add Madrid also in the list, that Spurs, Juventus and Madrid models are same.

I want ManUtd to stay away from Spurs model. We should be like Juventus, Bayern, Madrid when it comes to transfer strategy. Also one more area where we are lacking is signing free players like Juventus do.

devilish

This is where I disagree. Spurs model is nowhere near what we had during SAF and Juventus have. Transfer fee is small part of equation. ManUtd always topped or in second place when it comes to paying players, same with Juventus. Spurs aren't.

All clubs sign few young players who turn out to be great, doesn't mean models are same. I even pointed out how much money Juventus have spent compared to Spurs, to which you replied they get best out of the players. If that's the case you can add Madrid also in the list, that Spurs, Juventus and Madrid models are same.

I want ManUtd to stay away from Spurs model. We should be like Juventus, Bayern, Madrid when it comes to transfer strategy. Also one more area where we are lacking is signing free players like Juventus do.
I think it is. You don't see Juventus or SAF's United spending 75m on a donkey or 40m on a 28 year old holding midfielder. You don't see SAF adding two 30m rated CBs to then ask for a CB the year later because he lost hope on the former two and you'll certainly won't see SAF spending 50m on a midfielder only to let him rot in reserves without even bothering giving him a real shot in first team. These are the sort of things the class of 92 criticise Mou upon and for good reason.

Spurs has an eye for bargains as we had during SAF's time. The only difference is that both Juventus and us can afford to buy the occasional big signing to 'cheat' ourselves to success, something Spurs can't afford. Let me give you example

a- the treble defence was pure value. Johnsen was bought on peanuts from Besiktas, Gaz was homegrown, Schmeichel was a bargain and Irwin was bought for less then 1m. However, we needed that extra bit of quality to turn a great defence into a CL winning one. SAF could afford breaking the European record for defenders to get Stam. Spurs can't afford to do so.

b- United 2002 defence was also pure value. We had four homegrown defenders (the Nevilles, Oshea and Wes) while Mickey and Blanc were signed from Inter reserves. It desperately needed quality though and SAF went on buying the most expensive defender there was in Rio Ferdinand. We could afford it, Spurs did not

c- SAF's last side lacked the quality of past sides. Valencia was no Ronaldo, Young was no Giggs, the old guard was growing old, Rooney was showing signs of decline. SAF went on getting the best striker in the EPL who went on papering the cracks and help us with the league. We could afford RVP, Spurs could not

That doesn't mean we were the impatient trigger happy club Mou wants us to be.

Red00012

£100m ?
At best that is two class players, unless there are top prospects looking to move in January (Pulisic-De Jong- Skriniar etc) we should hold on to until the summer to see who the manager will be.
This squad needs a complete overhaul, Jose or not, I've said for some time we need 6,7 or more to get back to competing at home and abroad, the challenge won't be to get players in, it will be shipping some out !
I would be looking to move on Darmian, Valencia, Young, Jones, Rojo, Linderlof, Fosu-Mensa, Matic, Fellaini, Lingard, Fred, Lukaku and Sanchez for a start, far fetched but I don't think they are either good enough or suited for United, we may also have the embarrassment of losing DeGea, Pogba & Martial (our only 'special' players) if we don't convince them we can get back to being a top team.......not many left is there ?
£100m......try £500m-£600m !
So I’ve made out we’ll have Romero Dalot smalling Bailly Shaw mctominay pereira herrera mata Rashford left ? Maybe we could play lee grant outfield to make the 11

Kidders

But your attempted "quick fix" approach has seen you finish outside the top 4 three times since Fergie retired - and it's now on the cards for a 4th time.

When does deciding on - and prioritising - a long-term strategy begin? It'll be never if you continue down the "spend lots in more attempted quick fixes" path.
I agree a quick fix is'nt a good plan, but there's no reason not to deploy a quick fix AND a long term plan, I absolutely want a long term plan, the academy set up at United should be a conveyer belt for producing quality players and to some extent it does from time to time, but it seems that some players, McTomminay for example, TFM is another one, get caught in limbo, not ready for first team ( maybe never) but still hang around hoping to get a chance, in the meantime and before you know it these players are stuck on big wages, not playing, and blocking younger players with more potential coming through.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Signing Foyth, Moura and Gazzaniga is why Spurs will never win the league?

I see …. should we have spent more and signed Bailly, Alexis Sanchez and Lee Grant instead?
For someone who talks like his shit doesn't stink and is smarter than everyone you really are a fecking idiot

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I’d rather the Glazers took out all that money in dividends than give it to Jose. There’s no point, throwing more money won’t change anything. We have the raw materials of a side that can challenge, we’re just really poorly coached. I honestly think if the players ignored Jose and just played their natural game, we’d be much better this season.

Crashoutcassius

I’d rather the Glazers took out all that money in dividends than give it to Jose. There’s no point, throwing more money won’t change anything. We have the raw materials of a side that can challenge, we’re just really poorly coached. I honestly think if the players ignored Jose and just played their natural game, we’d be much better this season.
I thought thats what they were doing every time we play well?

AaronRedDevil

Buying a defender will do very little for us. They need to buy a real attacking threat player.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Doubt we are going to spend money helping a man we are going to sack in the summer.
Ed will find every excuse to put this off.

spiriticon

As Scholesy said, we could buy Messi and we'd still be shit.

It really doesn't matter how much we spend.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Doubt we are going to spend money helping a man we are going to sack in the summer.
Ed will find every excuse to put this off.
We signed Mata for Moyes
We didn't sign Mourinho's defenders because they didn't fit Woodward's profile
I'd say if the right players are out there (this lad at fiorentina for example) then they'll be signed

Marcus

Promote youth team players now. Enough money has been spent.

Tibs

He shouldn't be allowed to spend another penny.

He needs to be told so, and hopefully that pushes him to leave. If not, just sack him. I'm not even sure why we're waiting? Perhaps until we are guaranteed on even missing out of Europa League??

laughtersassassin

He shouldn't be given a cent. But he also shouldn't be here by Jan if there was any justice in the World.

Xaviboy

Bad move if he is still the manager and is backed with more money. No centre half can save us and make us a better team. We are struggling because of the manager. We don't look like a team that is coached. We are clueless going forward and in possession of the ball, nearly 3 years in charge and i will be surprised if it improves with one or 2 new signings. Mourinho will end up dropping any players he buys anyway.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We signed Mata for Moyes
We didn't sign Mourinho's defenders because they didn't fit Woodward's profile
I'd say if the right players are out there (this lad at fiorentina for example) then they'll be signed
Personally, I wouldn't spend another penny until we have a DoF and at least have an idea of the type of manager and football we want.

WPMUFC

The idea that Jose has 100+ million for Jan scares the living shit out of me. If he's going to go full Chelsea 2.0 over the Xmas period, he could easily spend that on absolute dross and then bench the players. Don't give him a cent in Jan.

I'll defend Jose for not getting the backing in the original window because had not lost a single point at that stage. He has a team to at least challenge top 4 and he can't even beat palace. Don't give him a cent or we will be looking to offload more wasted space when the new manager takes over.

Tibs

Or Ed should just do his job and fire him.
He should.

I'm guessing the power struggle is Ed ends his contract, Jose gets a payout. Jose wins

Jose doesn't get his way, leaves, no payout. Ed wins.

LeftyBlaster

The idea that Jose has 100+ million for Jan scares the living shit out of me. If he's going to go full Chelsea 2.0 over the Xmas period, he could easily spend that on absolute dross and then bench the players. Don't give him a cent in Jan.

I'll defend Jose for not getting the backing in the original window because had not lost a single point at that stage. He has a team to at least challenge top 4 and he can't even beat palace. Don't give him a cent or we will be looking to offload more wasted space when the new manager takes over.
This. End thread.

Roboc7

Instead of giving him 100m to spend, take 15-20m of it and pay him off so he can be sacked.

Appoint a DOF and spend some time effort figuring out who the best person to replace Mourinho is. Buying players in January won’t help and leaving replacing him to the summer won’t be of any benefit because there isn’t the competence or planning in place.

Vadim

There is no way the Glazers will give Jose 100m in January. Woodward and co might be stupid but they’re not that stupid.

They will be waiting to sack him now. We need to keep drawing games, so we can avoid Europa League and Jose is definitely given the boot without a pay-off.

I am where we were with Moyes now. I didn’t want him to get a penny of transfer money and I wanted us to draw games for the long term health of the club. We have to get our next manager right, it’s vital. And stop spending cash on crap.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
His transfer record at United is shocking. Not in that he bought bad players, but for various reasons, we got very little out of them, or things just didn't work out. You have players he either partially or fully never trusted (Bailly, Fred, Mkhitaryan), players who he keeps falling out with and is not getting the best out of (Pogba), players who have given us very little return on investment so far (Matic who was good for a few months after his transfer, and Sanchez), players who are young and can be good in the future but haven't had any immediate impact under him (Dalot, Lindelof), and then finally, you have Lukaku, who I am not even sure how to classify.

The only signing that I would be able to say, without reservations, that was successful in the Mourinho era would be Ibrahimovic.

Don't give him anything. He should try coaching and possibly, maybe, every now and then, perhaps, consider using his whole squad? Fred and Perreira are rotting on the bench while Matic is stinking up the place.

Gordon S

Promote youth team players now. Enough money has been spent.
This is probably where i am as well, we have spent ridiculous money post Fergie and we are slowly going nowhere.
Giving significant playing time to players like Gomes, Chong, Dalot, Garner, Greenwood and more will probably mean we would experience a rough year or two, but hopefully it would pay off in the long run.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'll believe this when I see it. It'll be another case of "let's get xxx" and ending up with their overweight brother or no one at all

iHicksy

Rather take some of that 100mil and spend it getting a new manager out of his contract.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The Sun says we are after Arnautovic (£50m). Surely we haven't sunk that low? I mean it will be carroll next!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Don't think he'll be given any money to spend unless a really good player is identified. The writing is on the wall, Mourinho won't be here next season.

Bob H from Manchester

I think that we will spend in January, if there's any top player available, because Ed will be keen to bring in a galactico to send a message to shareholders and to make us more attractive to any potential replacement manager.
I kind of hope we have Zidane (or AN Other) lined up to come in, and that they're giving some advice to Ed, but I don't think he'll be detered if he has to rely on our own scouts and advisors.

JoaquinJoaquin

The Sun says we are after Arnautovic (£50m). Surely we haven't sunk that low? I mean it will be carroll next!
Yes we have unfortunately. Arnautovic would be a good signing IMO. Can't be any worse out wide than Lingard, Rashford or Sanchez have been or even upfront rather than Lukaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.