Manchester United ready to back José Mourinho with £100m-plus in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That's a difficult question to be honest. Playing for Stuttgart isn't the same as for United obviously, so it's kind of hard to project what kind of CB he could be for us. Also, he's still young, so immediately stepping in to some kind of leadership role for us might be asking a bit too much.

What speaks for him is that he represents value considering how much clubs want for players like Maguire, Alderweireld, Skriniar and Koulibaly. And like I said unlike those players, United might actually be able to convince Stuttgart to part with him before the summer (if we pay a bit more, which could still be considerably less than what is being touted for Skriniar and Koulibaly), before a club is able to activate his release clause. If you can get a player like Pavard for half of what Skriniar would cost, then it's definitely worth it. He's just as good or better IMO. Another advantage is that he can play as RB, which could help until Dalot and Laird are ready. He definitely has all to the tools to become an excellent CB. He's quite good in the air, good on the ball, an excellent passer and a very good defender (Had a relatively poor game on the weekend though, from what I saw).
Thanks for the insight

If we can get Pavard for half what Skriniar would cost then we should definitely consider it. I would still hope we sign someone like Koulibaly or Skriniar to partner him in defence. We should be able to do that if we can offload Rojo, Jones etc

Infra-red

I wouldn't expect us to spend anything in January. By that stage, I assume top 4 will be looking like an unrealistic prospect, and we'll essentially be looking to limp through to the summer and a new manager.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Nothing to see here, the funds were there in the summer if the unrealistic galactico right player had been available then as well. They weren't then, they won't be now

bucky

Thanks for the insight

If we can get Pavard for half what Skriniar would cost then we should definitely consider it. I would still hope we sign someone like Koulibaly or Skriniar to partner him in defence. We should be able to do that if we can offload Rojo, Jones etc
I am hoping the second CB will be de Ligt.

Castia

He’s spent the money well so far.....

fecking hell.

Alabaster Codify7

Hahahaha, way too late Ed - way too late.

Season's almost a lost cause already. If you were gonna back him, it should've been in the summer - now, everyone knows we've got £100m to spend on a CB so £100m plus had better be closer to £200m. Shambles.

Added to that, the January window is impossible to deal in nowadays reasonably.

Brophs

The One and Only
José Mourinho will be backed in January to strengthen Manchester United if the right deal is possible in what can be a difficult transfer window to find value.

The manager wants a central defender and goalscoring forward after unsuccessfully trying to sign each in the summer.

More than £100m is potentially available. Mourinho was interested in Real Madrid’s Raphaël Varane before the start of the season and United were prepared to pay that level of money for the 25-year-old had the transfer been possible. The same degree of finance remains.

Leicester City’s Harry Maguire and Bayern Munich’s Jérôme Boateng were two other Mourinho targets at centre-back but United declined to pursue them as the board did not believe either was an upgrade.

This caused the manager some disquiet and it is understood he will be supported in the winter window should a player who can improve the squad become available.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ck-jose-mourinho-january-transfer-window-100m
PR bollocks. Nothing has changed.

bucky

I would be happy with De Ligt too mate. Beggars can't be choosers..:D
We aren't poor though. :devil: And I'd like to think that players still see United as a good destination.

Pretty sure he is going to Bayern?
Has been debunked, I think. Could still happen though.

Which is why I am hoping we push for a move for him in January.

Minimalist

Why would we buy players for Mourinho specifically?

Could understand buying players with DoF in place (or just based off our scouting) with a vision for the future but Mourinho is clearly gone by the summer at the latest.

ants7

tried to insert a gif but couldn't get it to work so I'll write it myself - why, why would you do that?!

ants7

Probably because we want Champions League next year.
Fair enough. Unfortunately, Jose's recent transfer record doesn't fill me with confidence that "£100m plus" would achieve that. Or any amount of money, for that matter.

::sonny::

He will sign some player we are forced to sell after few months cause he's not good enough

Greck

Why would we buy players for Mourinho specifically?

Could understand buying players with DoF in place (or just based off our scouting) with a vision for the future but Mourinho is clearly gone by the summer at the latest.
That's why it says we would go for only the right targets. No 29 year olds or Lukaku type targets.

Kag

So it's another "we have the money but need the right targets brief".

If we couldn't buy in the summer, we won't buy in January.
Which is the sensible approach. I’m pleased we have authority figures at the club that are not committing to spending £30-40 million on the likes of Boateng and Mina. Or Maguire for £75 million.

Another forward who scores goals has been referenced, which is positive. Mourinho has had several transfer windows to try and rectify this glaring hole on the right flank of our attack and so fair done little to demonstrate he sees this as an issue.

At least the supposed positions are areas in which we do need to improve.

Vanya

The only logical target could be Alderweireld and Ramsey because of their contracts. No one else will sell a good player in January.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The only logical target could be Alderweireld and Ramsey because of their contracts. No one else will sell a good player in January.
We should hold on until the summer in that case..

Vanya

We should hold on until the summer in that case..
Completely agree. Usually January is for under the radar signings. And for that you need your scouting department to be at the top of their game. Which ours unfortunately isnt at the moment.

Morpheus 7

He'll not be here in January, good that the next manager can start getting players in instead of the Summer.

saivet

Wonder if Spurs would sell Alderweireld in January. Probably not and he's the only player I can think they we could possibly get for a 'reasonable' price.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We wont buy anyone. Old players Mourinho wants wont be available for cheap and the younger ones Woodward wants wont be available for cheap. The top class players wont be available anyway.
That's what I think.

the chameleon

Woody keeps trying paper over cracks. Why is he giving into moans of the fans and Mourinho?

Why doesn't he show us a consistent plan? He reminds me of a typically stressed board level exec. No clue. Completely reactive and winging it as he goes along.

Another £100m, if spent incorrectly will put us in even deeper waters.

I would rather we fixed the problems we have with the players we have, give Lindelof, Fred, Pereira, Rashford, Dalot and Shaw all proper runs. Let me them prove themselves properly rather than stop starting with them. Mourinho has never shown consistency with young and allowed players to build momentum.

After building on the foundations of the current squad, we should start building on what targets would improve the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.