Manchester United ready to back José Mourinho with £100m-plus in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

deafepl

I don't think it will be Jose signing but scouting team and the board will target the profile of players they want to get.

Member 93275

One interesting part is that Woodward obviously currently has advisors, I don't think it's his personal opinion that those CB Mourinho wanted this summer would add much. So who are the advisors?

meninred

This team needs rebuiling for players like

Matic
Mata
Young
Valencia
Sanchez
Fellaini

Cant trust mouriniho though.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
One interesting part is that Woodward obviously currently has advisors, I don't think it's his personal opinion that those CB Mourinho wanted this summer would add much. So who are the advisors?
Any answer you get here will be a guess so I might as well take a stab at it:

Evra

RedFish

.........which is confirmation that the board fecked up the summer transfer window. Had we made the necessary recruitment we wouldn't need to try and rescue the season/ try and mazimise our chances of not missing out on CL football. i hope this is true though, as I'm firmly in the Jose in camp. If the board believe in him too they need to back him. Let's see.

AndyJ1985

Whilst Real Madrid sack another underperforming manager, we're going to hand ours another massive transfer kitty. Our club is run by morons.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
What do you suggest then? Sack Woodward? Hound out the Glazers?

Sacking managers has not worked so far
That's because we've employed a manager with the same negative, dismal anti-football tactics as the one before.

We already spent untold millions on the squad; we're still playing dross.

You ask what I suggest? Mourinho goes now, ideally Woodward goes too. We employ an adaptible manager who favours attack, or at the very least doesn't use dinosaur, sideways strategy week-in, week-out. We stop spending hundreds of millions of pounds on new players and find somebody who can get the most of what we already have, rather than throwing the players under the bus every fecking time the anti-football doesn't work.

Pogba £80m
Lindelof £30m
Mkhitaryan £25m (=Sanchez free)
Dalot £20m
Lukaku £75m
Matic £40m
Fred £52m

Three hundred million. Three hundred fecking million and we're in a tough fight for top four, already.

Another hundred million won't make his dire approach any more successful. Jose is the weak link.

Last edited:

Ekeke

Cant see us making a big signing in Jan. Can see us going for Maguire in the summer though when hopefully his price is more realistic.

SER19

Backing him when were 9 points behind or more. (Or less)

Should have beeh backed in summer.

prateik

Standard Woody PR briefing.
We have money. We just want the right player.. oh. we couldnt find the right player.

Dr. StrangeHate

Whilst Real Madrid sack another underperforming manager, we're going to hand ours another massive transfer kitty. Our club is run by morons.
I think it is safe to say we are the least trigger happy club and every manager in the world would still want to come here to work with our board. They only have to follow few reasonable conditions like not buying expensive 30 year olds and having some control over their oral orifice.

ErranMorad

:lol: Jose takes a sly dig at us by praising Everton's spending before the game, and like clockwork we get an article on the club looking to spend £100m in January. Either the top management of this club is very insecure or made up of idiots. We all know they are incompetent, otherwise Jose would have been long gone.

Kapardin

:lol: Jose takes a sly dig at us by praising Everton's spending before the game, and like clockwork we get an article on the club looking to spend £100m in January. Either the top management of this club is very insecure or made up of idiots. We all know they are incompetent, otherwise Jose would have been long gone.
It is well known that Woodward is a bit immature and knee-jerk, he just plays into Jose's hands. I suppose the Varane leak (again!) was to cover himself in case Jose inspired another banner.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
£50mil on and CB and £70mil on a striker won't buy us top level players?
In 2018/19, you think you can get a top level CB For £50m and a striker for £70m?

I’m talking “market rates” for established players. Not stroke-of-genius gems or potluck youth prospects.

Werd.

Ed is such a gumby.

Let's splash the cash after every club in the world knows what are our deficiencies are and knows we will be desperate. Top class management.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
One if our biggest challenges for the past 5 years, is we have been buying from a position of desperation and weakness.

A big chunk of that reason is due to our underinvestment from 09-13.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
In 2018/19, you think you can get a top level CB For £50m and a striker for £70m?

I’m talking “market rates” for established players. Not stroke-of-genius gems or potluck youth prospects.
Yes I do. As I've said, only 2 CBs in history have cost more than 50mil, with one only just hitting that mark. Only 2 players in the world cost more than 80mil in the summer, and they were Mbappe and Ronaldo.

PieCrust

Too late. Should have happened over the summer. Don't have any confidence that we actually make it to January in decent league position, and even less that any winter signings will have any meaningful impact. Will more likely end up as more dead wood signings to be cleared out by the next manager after a 2-3 windows.

Kant-ona

Are we really that silly? The next coach should get the money to build a team. So far, Mourinho spent money - but there is no team.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Which is the sensible approach. I’m pleased we have authority figures at the club that are not committing to spending £30-40 million on the likes of Boateng and Mina. Or Maguire for £75 million.

Another forward who scores goals has been referenced, which is positive. Mourinho has had several transfer windows to try and rectify this glaring hole on the right flank of our attack and so fair done little to demonstrate he sees this as an issue.

At least the supposed positions are areas in which we do need to improve.
I agree. I'm just saying this article doesn't imply we will splash the cash in Jan because the proper transfers aren't going to be available.
Hard to say one way or the other. Glad the club is briefing the press that the manager will be backed.
I don't think this suggests he will be backed. It was reported by the times that he had 4 players he wanted to fix the squad for the summer and be backed. He wasn't.

Craig Ward

That's because we've employed a manager with the same negative, dismal anti-football tactics as the one before.

We already spent untold millions on the squad; we're still playing dross.

You ask what I suggest? Mourinho goes now, ideally Woodward goes too. We employ an adaptible manager who favours attack, or at the very least doesn't use dinosaur, sideways strategy week-in, week-out. We stop spending hundreds of millions of pounds on new players and find somebody who can get the most of what we already have, rather than throwing the players under the bus every fecking time the anti-football doesn't work.

Pogba £80m
Lindelof £30m
Mkhitaryan £25m (=Sanchez free)
Dalot £20m
Lukaku £75m
Matic £40m
Fred £52m

Three hundred million. Three hundred fecking million and we're in a tough fight for top four, already.

Another hundred million won't make his dire approach any more successful. Jose is the weak link.
Exactly this.

Jose has been a disaster in the transfer market for us.

While I agree some of our CB's are nowhere near the quality needed Jones/Rojo/Smalling/Blind all have no part to play (aware Blind has gone) the fact Jose's top two big money CB signings have been average at best (Bailly/lindelof) some of the targets mooted in the summer were just not
a) realistically come (Varane/Bonucci)
b) come with massive injury problems (Boetang, Toby)
c) Insanely over priced (Maguire)

The media hype around our CB persuit has been insane.

One thing is clear - Jose cannot buy success at this club. The board and him aren't the best match, the fact we have no DOF is an issue as is Jose's coaching.

He doesn't improve players. With this squad, we could be playing so much better. Giving Jose another 100million based on how he has done so far is incredibly dumb

RoyH1

It's very hard to find quality talent in the winter market. Why didn't they back him like this before?

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
The board simply has to give him whatever it takes to get the targets we need, by saying targets, it's not the specific players, but the type of players we are missing to compete for the title in league and the cups. By saying that, if the current environment stays as it is by the time of the transfer window opens, obviously if something happens and the wheels fall off before it, it's different situation.

But let's say we are in similar position as we are now, in terms of gameplay and points. Still in Champions League and competing for Top 4 and FA Cup, then we must make the ground in this market and go for the top targets. Simply outspend, outsmart and outbully the other teams in market, just unsettle the players or go for their release clauses, we as fans shouldn't care how much it would cost us, we need to get the players that fit our system of play.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Another point is, what will be challenging for in January? Let's say we have the player in late January, we will definitely be out of the title race by then (I think we already are!), my gut feeling is that we will be out of the CL, and by the time said new player is integrated into the squad and is up to speed, we will probably be out of the race for the top 4. So maybe at best we would be buying him for a Hail Mary in the CL.
It's better to bring them in in January (if it doesn't cost too much more) than waiting until the end of the season. It should both strengthen us for an extra six months and give them more time to acclimatise. Vidic and Evra are the perfect examples. We bought them in January and they struggled to some extent (Evra much more than Vidic) for that half of the season, but we all know what happened after that. Whereas if we'd waited until the end of the season to buy them they likely would have had those issues in the first half of 06/07 (or perhaps the entire season) which may have resulted in us not winning the league that season.

Trizy

If we buy Toby in January for £20-30m, the only positive with that is he'll pretty much suit any style of our next manager. Whereas the same can't be said for the likes of Lukaku or Matic. It's a win/win really.

Will also be one less position to replace in the summer.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Toby at CB for 50m. Hard to think of a WC centre back that will be avaialable for that price unless he’s got little time remaining on his contract.

Striker for 70.... hmmm, Icardi?
Currently Icardi is reported to be negotiating a new contract, his old contract is alleged to have a 105 million euro buyout clause and Inter want to get rid of that so they can get even more money or keep him for a long time.

Understandably so, because Juve paid 90 million euro for a 29 year old Higuain back in 2016, so that was pretty much the benchmark two years ago and the market has arguably inflated even more since then. Although part of the high price for Highuain is explained because it was Juve stealing their biggest league rival's top scorer and having shiteloads of funds because of the Pogba transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.