Manchester United ready to back José Mourinho with £100m-plus in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Yeah I'm convinced Jose is looking at Serie A for defenders to bring here. A lot of them can probably teach defence at Stamford or MIT.
Well, our defenders do need some teaching.
I won't forget what I saw against Spurs at OT, earlier this season. Toby A and all our first choice defenders were on display. Our defenders demonstrated that they could not defend against an attacker who is coming at them, at pace.
Conversely, Toby demonstrated that he was able to do this. In fact, he was organising his own defence in a way which made it very difficult for us to get a shot on goal.
I have to say that I was quite shocked to see just how bad our defenders were, that day. Defenders who couldn't actually defend.

Rolaholic

If these reports are to be believed,it seems that publicly shitting on the board since the summer and sabotaging the squad to prove a point has backfired on him...

Last edited:

Trizy

If these reports are to be believed,it seems that publicly shitting on the board since the summer and sabotaging the squad to prove a points has backfired on him...
If we were have a decent club we should already have a replacement manager lined up and acquire one of their targets in January whether or not Jose is still here. I still think KDB was a Pep signing and even didn't push Bayern to get him because he wanted him at City when he arrived.

Toby for example is a defender any modern manager would appreciate.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Aha. So Mou is briefing back. Probably centre back.

EDIT: Might we soon have a better idea whether that 'silly' airborne flag giving Ed the fingers had some effect, after all?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
To be fair, I wouldn't say no to Maguire at this stage. Even if it did cost £50 million +.

Also love how that ESPN tweet has the word 'sources' in bright red capitals to make it seem official.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Just get a DoF and a manager who are on the same page.
Stop wasting my time.

Red_Orchestra

Well Romagnoli's price just went up after that goal against Genoa.
On a serious note, if the board "vetos" a bid for Skriniar, what kind of center back would they prefer, you're not getting any better than Skriniar.

Hawks2008

To be fair, I wouldn't say no to Maguire at this stage. Even if it did cost £50 million +.

Also love how that ESPN tweet has the word 'sources' in bright red capitals to make it seem official.
Definitely not Maguire, he's been poor every time I watched Leicester this season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Well Romagnoli's price just went up after that goal against Genoa.
On a serious note, if the board "vetos" a bid for Skriniar, what kind of center back would they prefer, you're not getting any better than Skriniar.
Don't think they're gonna veto a move for skriniar. Inter will though

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Thats not my point. The argument was that Liverpool have shown that you don't need to spend money to bring a side up a level.
Are Liverpool spending monopoly money? Thats exactly what they're doing.
If you ignore their expensive signings then sure, they're a shining example to us all.
their expensive signings should be an example too, being as Klopp has got the majority of them absolutely right so far. Mane, Salah, Wijnaldum, Van Dijk - all superb for them. You can likely add Alisson, Fabinho and Shaqiri to that list quite soon, Keita is the one who has something to prove, but he's hardly got going yet, and is probably the most naturaly talented of the lot of them.

That for me is one major difference between the two clubs recently. One manager - aided by his sporting director, is getting the signings spot on, the other isn't. Liverpool under their previous couple managers spent a lot too, just badly. Spending the money is one thing, spending it methodically and spending it well, is more difficult it seems!

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
their expensive signings should be an example too, being as Klopp has got the majority of them absolutely right so far. Mane, Salah, Wijnaldum, Van Dijk - all superb for them. You can likely add Alisson, Fabinho and Shaqiri to that list quite soon, Keita is the one who has something to prove, but he's hardly got going yet, and is probably the most naturaly talented of the lot of them.

That for me is one major difference between the two clubs recently. One manager - aided by his sporting director, is getting the signings spot on, the other isn't. Liverpool under their previous couple managers spent a lot too, just badly. Spending the money is one thing, spending it methodically and spending it well, is more difficult it seems!
We could learn a lot from your club when it comes to transfer strategy. We've been lacking any sign of cohesive thought for fecking years.

cheeky_backheel

if mourinho is vetoed again in january, we can kiss the season goodbye and probably wont even get into the europa league.

its better for everyone to just fire him cos he really doesnt have anything to lose. Doubt he will be out of work for more than a few months.

Gopher Brown

If these reports are to be believed,it seems that publicly shitting on the board since the summer and sabotaging the squad to prove a point has backfired on him...
What an absolute nonsense story - ace reporting and clickbait. The board COULD veto signings, not ‘are set to’ as the headline suggests.

Christ on a barnacle.

I think either way it is very unlikely we will make anything like the signing(s) we need in Jan. It is much more likely we end up with someone cut-price or on loan than the kind of top defenders we need - why would anyone sell their best players halfway through a season. Even Alderweirald who can leave for £25m next summer, we’d be looking at £50m at least to get him, especially as Spurs will be pushing for the Top 4.

The problem is, if you buy cheap you buy twice.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I don't like seeing the word Sources.

And also, even if it were true, £100m is like.. what? 2 players? not to mention it's January. Nothing to see.

r0663664

Worships Man City
No brainer to spend on right winger and CB. Just 2 quality in this 2 position, we will finish top 4. How long does it take to address this issues?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No brainer to spend on right winger and CB. Just 2 quality in this 2 position, we will finish top 4. How long does it take to address this issues?
Because Ed is in charge in scouting. What coach knows? Nothing. If Ed says that Toby or Skriniar are not better than Mike or Phil then "no defender for you, Jose".

Scholsey2004

We do need to spend a lot on players despite having spent a huge amount already. I've got absolutely zero confidence in Mourinho to either bring in the right players or make the best use of the ones he buys.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't want him to be given any money in January, he'd just waste it on a short term option who we can't get rid of. Give a new manager a war chest in the summer.

redshaw

Going to be difficult first getting top players in Jan, then add the situation of the club and the manager, he could be gone by May, it's not attractive.

The gap from the top 4 could well be much bigger by Jan so no CL football next season and in recent history we've only made top 4 twice in five seasons since 2013.

I'd rather look long term into a new manager and hopefully new scouting/structure who can make some smart buys as well as some bigger money players and more importantly not play such soul sapping football.

Jose has shown he can't make enough good purchases and the ones who are good he can't mold into a team or get consistency out of them

Alexit

That's money for 1 good player and a "Dalot type" as another poster put it. What happened in the summer or did this investment just mature?

JoaquinJoaquin

Unless it's Koulibaly, Skriniar or Toby I'd pretty much prefer we didn't sign a CB in January. We do need a DM and a RW desperately though. If I have to see Lingard starting after January I'm going to have to presume José wants to be sacked.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Joel Glazer was sat next to Sir Alex Ferguson at the Etihad Stadium, so I wonder if his visit had anything to do with the January transfer window...

Ekeke

I believe we could give Mourinho £200 million to spend and we wouldnt play good football. We'd still go into a match like the City one with the most negative tactics possible. Because Mourinho will spend that £200 million on players with physical qualities. Pace, power, size, strength - all the things we already have. We'd probably get a bit of a better result. Losing 3 - 2 or maybe even stealing a point.

But I dont believe any amount of money given to Mourinho for transfers will make us a good attacking side who can go head to head with City. Because even if we spent a fortune on players, we'd still approach the game like this one. Defend and try and pinch something

RooneyLegend

I believe we could give Mourinho £200 million to spend and we wouldnt play good football. We'd still go into a match like the City one with the most negative tactics possible. Because Mourinho will spend that £200 million on players with physical qualities. Pace, power, size, strength - all the things we already have. We'd probably get a bit of a better result. Losing 3 - 2 or maybe even stealing a point.

But I dont believe any amount of money given to Mourinho for transfers will make us a good attacking side who can go head to head with City. Because even if we spent a fortune on players, we'd still approach the game like this one. Defend and try and pinch something
You're thinking he'll probably spend it on Dzenko, Kondogbia and Maguire arent you?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Unless it's Koulibaly, Skriniar or Toby I'd pretty much prefer we didn't sign a CB in January. We do need a DM and a RW desperately though. If I have to see Lingard starting after January I'm going to have to presume José wants to be sacked.
If we add anywhere it needs to significant quality. No point adding yet more mediocrity to any position. Lingard isn't a right winger...o really wish we'd stop shoehorning players into positions they are inferior in.

ZAGREB RED

I hope this doesn't happen, seriously. He is done and needs to go, please don't let him buy any more players and then watch on hopelessly as they fail to deliver anything remotely approaching the form they are capable of.
Enough is enough, let him take his barrel-scraping "style" elsewhere.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

You may well be right. But then the board need to back or sack. We still need 4 or 5 players of significant quality added to this squad. You'd think 200 million wouldn't be the end of it. Which is mad to think.

Our on field personnel needs to change regardless.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Joel Glazer was sat next to Sir Alex Ferguson at the Etihad Stadium, so I wonder if his visit had anything to do with the January transfer window...
And beside fergie was Carlos Q. I have SOURCES that say it’ll be a Fergie/Carlos double-act until end of season, charged with setting out a blueprint/structure for new manager and getting current side to finish as far up table as possible. Carlos being main coach (due to fergies health issues) and fergie as consultant/offering opinion.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And beside Fergie was Carlos Q. I have SOURCES that say it’ll be a Fergie/Carlos double-act until end of season, charged with setting out a blueprint/structure for new manager and getting current side to finish as far up table as possible. Carlos being main coach (due to fergies health issues) and Fergie as consultant/offering opinion.
I actually woundn't mind seeing Queiroz in charge until the end of the season..

Flying_Heckfish

May as well chuck it in a pile and strike a match. I have zero confidence that Mourinho could spend that money wisely. The players we already have aren't playing to their potential in any case.

Ibrahimorich

Regardless of who the manager is, we desperately need some fullbacks so we should be buying the best attacking RB we can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.