Manchester United sign Raphael Varane! (not in time for Leeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole'sattheWheel

I'm out of the loop on this one, what does this CL Varane mean?
In the full clip, during the 2018 world cup, Pogba is doing this chant for all of the players in the france team.

He goes round the players in the changing room and bigs them up by saying things like "Passe-Partout(Master key) Kante", "half volley Pavard" (for his goal against argentina) etc. And I guess "CL Varane" because he'd just won the CL final before the WC.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Still can’t believe it.
Sancho had United written all over him and anyone who has some knowledge of United and the Premier League knew it that he would be a typical United signing.

Varane however still feels unreal. Amazing signing.

A-man

Varane hugged Odriozola yesterday :nervous:
I know it’s not a guarantee, especially not with the delta, but he was out relatively recently for COVID so hopefully he has some extra protection.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
A great player, a guy who will definitely improve you, make a difference, take you up a couple of notches
I’m looking forward to seeing him playing in the PL.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Previously these type of signings are everything I was opposed to. Sighing older players from other top clubs, where they've already won everything and become synonymous with their previous club. Fergie rarely, if ever, made these signings, because he wanted hungry players that could make a name for themselves with us by winning trophies. I loved that and was always vocal about it when linked with these signings post Fergie. City and Liverpool now take that approach even if they do pay big fees.

These days I feel like we're so far gone down the road, Fergie's instilled principles have long gone. But I only just thought about this now which shows how the last few years have brought on this indifference towards what we do. There have always been the opposite camp who salivate over blockbuster names and Real Madrid/Barcelona legends coming here. Personally I've never been a fan. Give me a Vidic type sighing any day of the week.

SoCross

Just read that he only has 27 yellow cards over 350+ appearances for Real. Brilliant.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Has he flown into Manchester yet?

red_de_pologne

Previously these type of signings are everything I was opposed to. Sighing older players from other top clubs, where they've already won everything and become synonymous with their previous club. Fergie rarely, if ever, made these signings, because he wanted hungry players that could make a name for themselves with us by winning trophies. I loved that and was always vocal about it when linked with these signings post Fergie. City and Liverpool now take that approach even if they do pay big fees.

These days I feel like we're so far gone down the road, Fergie's instilled principles have long gone. But I only just thought about this now which shows how the last few years have brought on this indifference towards what we do. There have always been the opposite camp who salivate over blockbuster names and Real Madrid/Barcelona legends coming here. Personally I've never been a fan. Give me a Vidic type sighing any day of the week.
Pretty sure Fergie would've snapped up Varane without any hesitation if such an opportunity presented itself. It's a different era, players in the last year of the contract, running their contracts down, are a new kind of a value in the market signings that top clubs will continue to exploit. Next, Mbappe/Pogba.

Varane isn't leaving because he's burnt out, but Madrid is not looking like a great place to be at the moment, on the other hand PL is very attractive and he seemingly genuinely wanted to join United.

SirAF

Ageist
Pretty sure Fergie would've snapped up Varane without any hesitation if such an opportunity presented itself. It's a different era, players in the last year of the contract, running their contracts down, are a new kind of a value in the market signings that top clubs will continue to exploit. Next, Mbappe/Pogba.

Varane isn't leaving because he's burnt out, but Madrid is not looking like a great place to be at the moment, on the other hand PL is very attractive and he seemingly genuinely wanted to join United.
This.

Shiva87

I'm surprised. Thats just not true. Fergie did both, buy talent and go for world class players. Fergie bought Cantona, Sheringham, Stam, Veron, Van Der Saar, Blanc (who turned out to be a failure), Barthez, Van Persie, Henrik Larsson (loan) etc. He also tried to get a fair few in which failed. These players had all made a big name for themselves before coming to United.

If anything, Ole's tenure has been the closest to the Fergie principles as we ever had. Sometimes I get the impression that he is trying to be Fergie Lite!

TheReligion

Abusive

The two posters below have nailed it;

I'm surprised. Thats just not true. Fergie did both, buy talent and go for world class players. Fergie bought Cantona, Sheringham, Stam, Veron, Van Der Saar, Blanc (who turned out to be a failure), Barthez, Van Persie, Henrik Larsson (loan) etc. He also tried to get a fair few in which failed. These players had all made a big name for themselves before coming to United.

If anything, Ole's tenure has been the closest to the Fergie principles as we ever had. Sometimes I get the impression that he is trying to be Fergie Lite!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No Instagram story in more than 24 hours. I think he turned off his phone yesterday, flying to Manchester, arriving in hotel, and sleeping.

DiMaria

Well said.

SAFMUTD

Alright, name me a better CB paring then Varane and Maguire? I genuinely don't think the world has a better pairing in the center.
Bonucci and Chiellini, Marquinhos and Sergio Ramos, Dias and Stones, VVD and Konate (depending on fitness) those I think are the debatable options. Dont know if we have the best CB pairing but we're definitely in the conversation.

CG1010

There is no way Varane would make such a big move without lot of careful thought including speaking to someone he has played with in the national team for so long. This is the reason its doubly exciting - it also tells us Varane feels this team is going to have some significant achievement.

JohnnyKills

The two posters below have nailed it;
It's fair to say that Fergie rarely signed older players. A lot of the big names mentioned in the post you quoted (Cantona, Stam etc) were 26 or under when they signed.

If Fergie ever signed anyone over the age of 26 they generally fell into one of two categories:

Short-term additions - Larsson, Blanc
Didn't need pace for their role - Goalkeepers (and Sheringham!!)

Not sure Varane would have fallen into either category. But then there aren't many other CB options out there so maybe Fergie would have done it anyway!!

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

There is no way Varane would make such a big move without lot of careful thought including speaking to someone he has played with in the national team for so long. This is the reason its doubly exciting - it also tells us Varane feels this team is going to have some significant achievement.
I read Sid Lowe's latest piece on him, and I'm even more pumped to have to him here. Seems like he'd complement Maguire perfectly, unlike Cardboard Cutout Lindelof or Calamity Bailly.

JohnnyKills

Same, but there aren't many around are there. It's a terrible era for CBs!!

TheReligion

Abusive
It's fair to say that Fergie rarely signed older players. A lot of the big names mentioned in the post you quoted (Cantona, Stam etc) were 26 or under when they signed.

If Fergie ever signed anyone over the age of 26 they generally fell into one of two categories:

Not sure Varane would have fallen into either category. But then there aren't many other CB options out there so maybe Fergie would have done it anyway!!
Van Persie?

Red00012

Berbatov ?

GledTheRed

RVP?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

I feel like all of those names still had something to prove at OT. Blanc was obviously a legend but he was right at the end of his career and was super cheap. Did he ever win the league at Barca? I don't think he won the CL in his career.

Varane feels different to me. Kind of like Schweinsteiger, just felt like a 'mercenary' type signing where we brought in a big name to try to sort an area out, instead of developing a player or giving a player the platform to reach another level in their career.

Status
Not open for further replies.