Manchester United vs AC Milan Sat 3rd August, 17:36 UK time

MrPooni

It's the year of our Lord 2019 and it appears Juan Mata is still starting out on the right for Manchester United. Time is a flat circle.

Dante

Average bang
McTomminay is a clever and eloquent lad. He'll make a decent pundit/manager when he retires.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's the year of our Lord 2019 and it appears Juan Mata is still starting out on the right for Manchester United. Time is a flat circle.
If they gave him a contract, they're going to play him some time.Rather he was match fit in friendlies than start him in major matches

Inigo Montoya

McTomminay is a clever and eloquent lad. He'll make a decent pundit/manager when he retires.
Personally, I don't give two fecks what he does in his post playing career. He could be an anthropologist for all I care.

I want him to deliver for Utd, now.:lol:

ManchesterYoda

Not really true I don't think - the results of these games don't matter, but what they show us about the manager's plans and how well we look like being able to execute them is significant.
Yes, this is why I'm depressed about the team selection, "it shows the manager's plans". The plan I see from our team selection is that we plan on doing the exact same thing as last season, just with a few different faces added. That isn't going to fix our problems.
I am not bothered that the horrible unbalanced team selection will lead to us not getting a good result against Milan in a friendly, I'm worried that horrible unbalanced team selection in the Premier League will lead to another garbage season, just like the previous 6 seasons of horrible unbalanced team selections.

MrPooni

If they gave him a contract, they're going to play him some time.Rather he was match fit in friendlies than start him in major matches
He's a fine option at 10 but shunted out on the right? I'm not about that life.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Should anyone know the address of a nearby flow of river, one would be appreciaitive if such information could find it's way to my inbox

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Should anyone know the address of a nearby flow of river, one would be appreciaitive if such information could find it's way to my inbox
Seconded.

Also, 17:36 is an unusually specific time.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Those little Welsh kids :lol:

Asked who will score. Rashford, Lingard .... then he didn’t know anymore players :lol:

30 seconds of thinking time later he shouts out.... Lukaku :lol:

Commentator broke the news that he won’t be playing and the little kid just stared at the ground.
:lol:

Well at least somebody's a fan of his

Dante

Average bang
Mata won't be on the right, as such.

Our shape right now is totally different from what we saw under LvG and Mourinho. It's far more fluid, and the left side is no longer lopsided with the Pogba/Shaw/Martial trio being our main outlet.

The whole left-side/right-side debate is tedious and misses the point more often than not. In any case, the same players can look like totally different in a new system. The high press, interchanging, constant movement of the Ole-ball will show that.

I'm expecting United to go the whole season playing a similar style to Solskjaer first 12 matches. Mata and Lingard will look better in that team. An additional consequence of it is that it will require a deeper midfield duo. Granted, Matic is no longer world class, but he's a natural in that position so I'm not concerned. As long as he frees the players in front of him, that's what matters. If anything, I'm more worried about Pogba adapting to the defensive aspects of the role when he gets back into the side.

DoomSlayer

My first major criticism for Ole ever would be if he persists with Mata on the right and starts him against Chelsea too. I'd rather see Greenwood or James there.

Inigo Montoya

Ole's pretty much stated in his pre match interview that he's looking at different permutations.

I doubt this will be the starting line up next week

Dante

Average bang
Ugh, too much info bro, too much info......
If it was 7 minutes, I could probably have found the cure to cancer or something. But 6 minutes only leaves me enough time to knock one out.

I never knew I was so good at typing with one hand.

Inigo Montoya

If it was 7 minutes, I could probably have found the cure to cancer or something. But 6 minutes only leaves me enough time to knock one out.

I never knew I was so good at typing with one hand.
fecking hell dog! no more

ManchesterYoda

Mata won't be on the right, as such.

Our shape right now is totally different from what we saw under LvG and Mourinho. It's far more fluid, and the left side is no longer lopsided with the Pogba/Shaw/Martial trio being our main outlet.

The whole left-side/right-side debate is tedious and misses the point more often than not. In any case, the same players can look like totally different in a new system. The high press, interchanging, constant movement of the Ole-ball will show that.

I'm expecting United to go the whole season playing a similar style to Solskjaer first 12 matches. Mata and Lingard will look better in that team. An additional consequence of it is that it will require a deeper midfield duo. Granted, Matic is no longer world class, but he's a natural in that position so I'm not concerned. As long as he frees the players in front of him, that's what matters. If anything, I'm more worried about Pogba adapting to the defensive aspects of the role when he gets back into the side.
We'll see won't we. This season we'll see. If we played with a balanced attack, we'd be so much more effective. The left side/right side "debate" has been ignored for 6 seasons. Ignore it for another 6 seasons and we'll be having the exact same conversation as right now. Moaning about everything apart from what is most important. Why do Guardiola and Klopp play a balanced team in almost every game? Do you think them getting around the 100 points mark and being balanced is just a coincidence? It is also just a coincidence that we've been unbalanced for 6 seasons and garbage for 6 seasons? Why not just TRY a balanced team for a season, why not just try it, see what happens? Back in the 80s the team was horribly unbalanced. Phelan, we've got him on the coaching team right now, he was part of that, as a player. Then after Kidd became assistant manager we built a nicely balanced team, with Giggs and Kanchelskis on the wings. Is it important that Liverpool play Mane on the left, Salah on the right and Firmino central?

Chairman Steve

It’s Gardiner and Ashley Westwood

And I have no idea if it’s the Ashley Westwood who plays for Burnley. Maybe we’ve snuck in that ’new Carrick’ signing we’ve all wanted very expertly.