Kick-off
Mon, 9 March 2015 @ 7:45pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 63 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

NoPace

I think it would be a mistake to start Fellaini. This game isn't about breaking them down, it's about scoring on the counter. I'd way rather see Carrick and Blind start behind Herrera or Mata as the 10.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    It's not about proving a point, it's about winning a game, and doing that with way out of form players seems the wrong way to go about trying to do that.
    Yeah, and playing against one of the best teams you want one of your best players out there. It's not like we have some great alternatives who are in the form of their lives, the other option is 20 year old Januzaj who has been a bit shit for all but 45 minutes against Sunderland this season. And he has nowhere near the ability or pace of Di maria. Di Maria has been off form, but even off form he creates more chances then anyone else in our team. We need that pace and ability to make chances even if he is sloppy in possession. There's no reason why he won't put in a good performance either, he is a top class player and has always stepped it up in the big games for Real Madrid, whether it was against Barca, Atletico, or anyone else in the Champions League.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
    I think it would be a mistake to start Fellaini. This game isn't about breaking them down, it's about scoring on the counter. I'd way rather see Carrick and Blind start behind Herrera or Mata as the 10.
    Don't care how we play, as long as we win! So LVG can play de gea upfront if he wants, just so long as we win!!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
    Time Travel
    We're presumably going to get another 4-4-2 (or slight variation of) then? I definitely wouldn't be against that.

Im gussing:
    De Gea
    Valencia--Smalling--Rojo--Shaw
    Di Maria--Blind--Herrera--Young
    ------------Fellaini
    ------------------Rooney

Maybe Carrick will play instead of Herrera or Blind.
    Against Arsenal the only things I want to see is pace on the counters. If Rooney, Young and Di Maria are on their game, that should be enough imo.

othersna

What's happened to Mata? I agree with most of the lineup predictions here but I'd rather see Mata than Fellaini vs Arsenal simply because he moves the ball faster and offers more creativity.

De gea
    Valencia Smalling Rojo Shaw
    Blind Herrera
    Di Maria Mata Young
    Rooney
    Carrick in for Blind\Herrera if he's fit

hbgreg

THE KING
    Herrera Blind
    Di Maria Fellaini Young
    Rooney​

ManUtd1999

THE KING
    Herrera Blind
    Di Maria Fellaini Young
    Rooney​
    I like this, with the exception of Di Maria. He has been useless for weeks and weeks now.

Either way, Put DDG and Fellaini first, and then figure out the rest of the lineup.

darko

Di Maria will start, make no mistake about it. Fellaini offers some height and I'm sure that's the reason why he's being starting. It's not so much about the attack options, but he is useful to defend set pieces but also does offer something different up front. So he gives them two things vs Mata's one.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    In a team were there’s only one pure defensive midfielder in Blind, and this midfielder is not the greatest shield, I think that playing Mata is a bit risky. LVG always told that he wants not more than 4 creative players in his team and I think that with Young + Rooney + Di Maria and Herrera, it’s difficult to not put Fellaini in order to give us a defensive and offensive boost on set pieces. Usually Arsenal’s midfield hates the fight so that’s why David Moyes’s Everton and Fellaini succeeded against Wenger.

The Law of Denis

If Arsenal/Wenger stick to what they do we will have them on the counter. If Wenger deviates from his tried and failed and sits back like he did vs City we could be in trouble. I wish LVG would play Mata tonight.
    I pray for an early goal; shake them into attacking us

ipodnani

LVG is inevitably going to start Fellaini. It is a bit laughable to think a player of Fellaini's calibre has been keeping out the likes of Mata and Herrera - players who's technical skills are on another planet to The Human Toilet Brush.

Nevertheless if LVG thinks bullying Arsenal is the best way of beating them, so be it. I bow to his greatly superior footballing knowledge. I just sure as feck hope if we're put through the chore of watching Fellaini in the No. 10 role, we at least get the result.

(Granted, I'll happily eat Humble Pie if Fellaini bosses Arsenal tonight) :devil:

darko

Craig Pawson to ref. His last matches was QPR v Spurs on Saturday and was the fourth official for Man. United's trip to Newcastle last Wednesday.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
    Staff
    LVG is inevitably going to start Fellaini. It is a bit laughable to think a player of Fellaini's calibre has been keeping out the likes of Mata and Herrera - players who's technical skills are on another planet to The Human Toilet Brush.

Nevertheless if LVG thinks bullying Arsenal is the best way of beating them, so be it. I bow to his greatly superior footballing knowledge. I just sure as feck hope if we're put through the chore of watching Fellaini in the No. 10 role, we at least get the result.

(Granted, I'll happily eat Humble Pie if Fellaini bosses Arsenal tonight) :devil:
    Normally I'd agree -- though "Human Toilet Brush" is a tad harsh -- but Arsenal don't like playing against strong, physical players. I think Fellaini could be one of our best players tonight.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
    If Arsenal/Wenger stick to what they do we will have them on the counter. If Wenger deviates from his tried and failed and sits back like he did vs City we could be in trouble. I wish LVG would play Mata tonight.
    If I remember correctly the City game where Arsenal deviated from the usual plan, City had a few good chances to score before Arsenal(Plus the opening goal was a penalty and City didn't have Yaya ). Still that's not to say they didn't play well but I wouldn't too worried if they chose that way to play.

ipodnani

Normally I'd agree -- though "Human Toilet Brush" is a tad harsh -- but Arsenal don't like playing against strong, physical players. I think Fellaini could be one of our best players tonight.
    Yeah I don't hate Fellaini. And it's not his fault that his inclusion means the exclusion of Mata and other more talented players. But sometimes he doesn't half look like a Donkey...

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
    What's happened to Mata? I agree with most of the lineup predictions here but I'd rather see Mata than Fellaini vs Arsenal simply because he moves the ball faster and offers more creativity.

De gea
    Blind Herrera
    Di Maria Mata Young
    Rooney
    Carrick in for Blind\Herrera if he's fit

Fellaini will start.

ManUtd1999

He could be instrumental. We need his physicality tonight.

The question for me is this: will LVG finally leave ADM on the bench? I don't want another poor 60-minute performances followed by a substitution. It's time that he warms the bench a bit.

wythyred

Biggest game of our season so far?.. really looking forward to this one as the poster above me says if we score an early goal I can really see us slaying them on the counter!

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    Biggest game of our season so far?.. really looking forward to this one as the poster above me says if we score an early goal I can really see us slaying them on the counter!

I've a bad feeling about it. Usually I'm always condident against them. Especially at OT, but this feeling is different.... Hope that it's only the nerves

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
    Agree with this. Think because it's a cup tie he could end up going with the latter. Would love to see Mata play off Rooney as I'm not sure how creative the same side that started against Newcastle will be.

Raoul

Admin
    Staff
    Just had a time change here in the states. Anyone know when this starts, New York time ?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
    Supports
    Liverpool
    Just had a time change here in the states. Anyone know when this starts, New York time ?
    It is on in 3 hours and 3 minutes from now.

Actually really looking forward to this game. I'd rather Arsenal win, but I don't really think it makes too much of a difference to us. If we get past Blackburn on the replay, we'll be going up against either team as the underdogs anyway, so whatever... I just wanna see a good game tonight.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
    I never know till it gets near game time whether I am going to be nervous or not. Sometimes its almost unbearable ... This time I am not nervous, I don't know why. Not being nervous is making me nervous.

podurban2

3:45 pm mate!

De Gea
    Blind Carrick
    Herrera
    Di Maria Young
    Rooney

Subs: Fellaini, Januzaj, Mata
    I'm so nervous, people are way too confident in Arsenal doing their usual nonsense. I'm excited though, finally an important game and time for the players and Van Gaal to prove their worth!

Agila Dathi

I'm not sure I like the idea of Shaw in the starting line-up. He's too wild and tends to forget about his defensive role, even worse than Rafael few years back. And that is something Arsenal will use against us. I really hope that De Gea will have a good game tonight, because we are going to need him :nervous:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
    I'm not sure I like the idea of Shaw in the starting line-up. He's too wild and tends to forget about his defensive role, even worse than Rafael few years back. And that is something Arsenal will use against us. I really hope that De Gea will have a good game tonight, because we are going to need him :nervous:
    Eh? If anything Shaw is the complete opposite of Rafael. He's very good defensively, and has struggled to replicate that going forward.

Flying_Heckfish

Un-easily confident going in to a home game against the Gunners, as always. I should be worried, but I never am against them. Not in the last decade anyway.

2-0

Agila Dathi

Eh? If anything Shaw is the complete opposite of Rafael. He's very good defensively, and has struggled to replicate that going forward.
    Really? I see alot of similarity between them, when they defend they're good, but when they attack they don't get back in their position quickly enough imo. Bit like Evra in his last seasons with us.

But maybe I'm being too harsh on him, he's young and I believe he'll be a fantastic player.

Trizy

Arsenal have been our bitch for a very long time, I've a bad feeling about this game, surely they're due a win?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
    Getting nervous here...

Redo91

Any idea if the game will be up on the BBC iPlayer tonight? I'm working until 10 so will try and avoid the result and watch the whole game when I get home if it's up.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
    Really? I see alot of similarity between them, when they defend they're good, but when they attack they don't get back in their position quickly enough imo. Bit like Evra in his last seasons with us.

But maybe I'm being too harsh on him, he's young and I believe he'll be a fantastic player.
    If anything, he's been better defensively because he's so rarely out of position in the first place. There have been quite a few games where I've thought he should be pushing up further, or staying with the attack for longer, but instead he's refrained from pushing up too far or has got back once he's released the ball.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 467 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw