Manchester United vs AS Roma (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
We need another quality defender. Down the years we've struggled a lot with injuries in this posistion and now that Furrynads and Vida have left we are even slimmer...not to mention we now play 3 CD rather than 2!
Furrynads lol

Judas

Open to offers
I love Paddy for these friendlies, but the thought of having to deal with him for games that actually matters is enough to make me glad MUTV will never gain the rights.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Feel great but I'm trying to stay calm and face up to our issues.

Cleverley is terrible. I want him to earn a place on the squad but he is dispossessed easily - embarrassingly easy - and offers nothing to hold down the midfield, our most glaring problem. It seems an odd decision to make him captain today because there is nothing about him that says 'leader' to me. He looks certain to cost us a goal the way things are going.

Valencia's final ball looks no different than the last two years. He's only had a few chances this week but his approach doesn't look like its changed at all. Unlike Cleverley, though, he does have the ability to win the ball back and can cover for the backline. I think if somehow he fixes that last cross into the area he will look like a much better player.

Our defending was sloppy in the first 10-15 minutes but we can use the 3-man backline as an excuse. This is pretty revolutionary for United (if my knowledge of club history serves me right) and it will take time for those three players to get used to it. Jones has been pretty good IMO, Blackett not so much. James has impressed me TBH, he looks mature and very confident.

Johnstone I think fields his position pretty well but he doesn't look the surest man with the ball. I suppose he could get better if he plays more with the first team but this year might be make or break with De Gea and Lindegaard ahead of him.

If anything, van Gaal will realize (if not already) that a MF has to be purchased before the window closes because Herrera alone isn't going to do it for us. His play was clearly affected by Cleverley being alongside of him.
I'm sorry mate but do you think anyone would read that in a matchday thread? :lol:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This was a very good 2nd quarter of the match. We started to settle in as time passed and slowly started to look in more control of the match.

I have to say, Roma have some really good young talent in their team. Their players are all very good, technically. It's just that they still need to develop some tactical understanding, but once they do, they'll be very good. Paredes and Ucan are very good, technically. Romagnoli's very good at putting pressure on the opposition and winning the ball. Iturbe's been quiet, but I know that he has more in his locker. Florenzi seems to lack influence out on the left. I feel like he should play in midfield to become more influential, but Garcia likes him out wide, so what can I say? Destro's a very intelligent striker. He's very good at finding a weak point at the opposition's defence, and his movement's very nice as well. On top of that, his technique and first touch is very good, and he's good at holding up the ball. I do know that he's a very good finisher as well with his feet and the head. He's going to be a world class striker, definitely.

Now, onto Man. Utd. Herrera's passes haven't come off too often, but that's what you get when trying to play adventurous passes. However, I'll give him a break here as it is pre-season, and he's playing in a different environment along with the fact that he still has to gain full sharpness. Same goes for many of our players.

Blackett needs to pay attention more of Destro. Destro's targeting Blackett's lack of awareness and is trying to make the most of that. Iturbe's also getting in on the act by getting in between James and Blackett. James, as usual, is doing well. He's been mature with his performance, and he's done very well to recover and nullify the dangers. Going forward, he hasn't done much, but given that he's facing Iturbe, I'm not surprised. Cleverley's been pretty sloppy in midfield, and given that he's playing in a deeper area, he needs to be much more careful. His touches have been sloppy, and he's left the ball too open for the Roma players. As I said about Herrera before, though, this is pre-season, and he's playing in a different environment along with the fact that he still has to gain full sharpness.

Pyro19

Playing Cleverley and Blackett seems like Van Gaal's way of testing whether they are good enough for the Squad.

Both have been terribly average in the first half.

Mali_Zeus

This was a very good 2nd quarter of the match. We started to settle in as time passed and slowly started to look in more control of the match.

I have to say, Roma have some really good young talent in their team. Their players are all very good, technically. It's just that they still need to develop some tactical understanding, but once they do, they'll be very good. Paredes and Ucan are very good, technically. Romagnoli's very good at putting pressure on the opposition and winning the ball. Iturbe's been quiet, but I know that he has more in his locker. Florenzi seems to lack influence out on the left. I feel like he should play in midfield to become more influential, but Garcia likes him out wide, so what can I say? Destro's a very intelligent striker. He's very good at finding a weak point at the opposition's defence, and his movement's very nice as well. On top of that, his technique and first touch is very good, and he's good at holding up the ball. I do know that he's a very good finisher as well with his feet and the head. He's going to be a world class striker, definitely.

Now, onto Man. Utd. Herrera's passes haven't come off too often, but that's what you get when trying to play adventurous passes. However, I'll give him a break here as it is pre-season, and he's playing in a different environment along with the fact that he still has to gain full sharpness. Same goes for many of our players.

Blackett needs to pay attention more of Destro. Destro's targeting Blackett's lack of awareness and is trying to make the most of that. Iturbe's also getting in on the act by getting in between James and Blackett. James, as usual, is doing well. He's been mature with his performance, and he's done very well to recover and nullify the dangers. Going forward, he hasn't done much, but given that he's facing Iturbe, I'm not surprised. Cleverley's been pretty sloppy in midfield, and given that he's playing in a deeper area, he needs to be much more careful. His touches have been sloppy, and he's left the ball too open for the Roma players. As I said about Herrera before, though, this is pre-season, and he's playing in a different environment along with the fact that he still has to gain full sharpness.
tl dr

Status
Not open for further replies.