Manchester United vs Atletico Madrid | Build-up Thread | Return leg: March 15

SER19

They will absolutely nullify and embarrass us. Despite their problems, unless the CL music has some magical powers, we won't lay a glove on them. Southampton and Brighton have dominated us

Wayne's World

They will absolutely nullify and embarrass us. Despite their problems, unless the CL music has some magical powers, we won't lay a glove on them. Southampton and Brighton have dominated us
In fairness, think my local under 15's team could do that too.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Champions League, Ronaldo, Atletico - it's almost a sure thing.

A Civilized Reader

Have you guys ever checked facts before posting?

Atletico is sitting at the fifth place in LaLiga; they're not doing any better than us (if not worse).

Know the records of Cristiano against them? The moment they see him walk on the pitch, they will shit their pants already.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
:lol:

They've shipped 2+ goals in every league game apart from one since the start of December. They've conceded more goals than we have in fewer games during a season that we've mostly spent getting twatted by anyone and everyone.

Irwin99

I don't know why but i'm confident about this if we set up in a good solid way. I don't think this is going to be a high scoring tie- a piece of brilliance by Ronaldo, Bruno (or Suarez :nervous:) could swing it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Ralf does in the big games and particularly if he's cautious and parks the bus, which i would have no problem with him doing given our teams confidence lately.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think we'll do well. Will be a tough game anyway, but i think we'll be up for it and we'll have a good system to go into it. I just get the feeling that it's the type of game we need right now to step on with confidence, but the result will still be hard to get and it could swing how the rest of our season goes.

Red00012

We need to open up the tie over there, otherwise their strong defensive shape will see them though at Old Trafford
The same strong defensive shape that seen them concede 15 goals in the 6 games ?

Gottabekiddingme

A disaster in the making. Varane, Pogba and Ronaldo are the only players with CL cred in this squad. I think everyone else will crumble playing in the Wanda Metropolitano.

wise_old_man

We're not even close to the standard of a depleted Barca team
That's what people have been missing. Atletico are doing badly, but our performances are even worse.
Atletico will hammer us in both legs.

ti vu

We're not even close to the standard of a depleted Barca team
Debatable.

From what I saw, Barcelona is pretty meh even in their victories themselves. If there is a gap in standard, it's very close right now between us, Barcelona, and Atletico. Only fear is Atletico would turn up to the game with their high ceiling.

Cal?

CR7 fan
That's what people have been missing. Atletico are doing badly, but our performances are even worse.
Atletico will hammer us in both legs.
Have you seen Atletico this season? They are no better than us

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
They've only won 3 of 9 league games since the start of December. Lot of goals scored & even more conceded. They are nothing like the compact side we all associate them to have been under Simeone. It will be two matches where both sides will likely see a lot of chances.

Telsim

Two awful teams battling it out. They can't defend, we can't attack. This will either be the best or the worst game of football this season. No in-between.

And I don't really know which is better: get beaten and exit the competition or win, draw Bayern/Real/PSG in the next round and get humiliated.

jetlee

Two awful teams battling it out. They can't defend, we can't attack. This will either be the best or the worst game of football this season. No in-between.

And I don't really know which is better: get beaten and exit the competition or win, draw Bayern/Real/PSG in the next round and get humiliated.
I can't really decipher the mindset behind this.
We have some top players who can click for a couple of games. I know it is a stretch but You have to be in it to win it, no?
And why wouldn't You want Your team to be measured against the best?

Terrific Tangerine

Supports
Blackpool
It's two teams that are both out of sorts, for every United fan judging Atletico by their past reputation there will be a Madrid fan judging United the same way.

No reason to think United can't be competitive or win the tie.

Betson

Two average teams really struggling for form at the moment, which one of us can rise over the mediocrity and keep our season going.

Hopefully this can kick us back into life.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I think this tie can go either way. I am hoping Ronaldo goes into CL mode with a drop of Atletico up yours mode, so we go through here and then we can build some form for the next stages.

Or we'll lose and be disappointed again which won't be surprising.

PoTMS

Interesting to see Atletico touted as favourites. Why is that the case when they've apparently been just as awful as us this season?

Telsim

I can't really decipher the mindset behind this.
We have some top players who can click for a couple of games. I know it is a stretch but You have to be in it to win it, no?
And why wouldn't You want Your team to be measured against the best?
What's there to decipher? Of course everyone has to go in for the win. But a dose of realism is also in order. I don't think we are in a position to be measuring against the best when we struggle to measure against genuine Championship fodder. I'm having nightmares about us having a go at any of those teams. If you think Maguire is struggling now wait until he faces Mbappe or Lewa. shudder

My point is, I won't necessarily be broken about it if it ends here. Lets us focus on getting CL next season, instead of prepping for a game against Bayern just to get butchered anyway.

Dolf

What's there to decipher? Of course everyone has to go in for the win. But a dose of realism is also in order. I don't think we are in a position to be measuring against the best when we struggle to measure against genuine Championship fodder. I'm having nightmares about us having a go at any of those teams. If you think Maguire is struggling now wait until he faces Mbappe or Lewa. shudder

My point is, I won't necessarily be broken about it if it ends here. Lets us focus on getting CL next season, instead of prepping for a game against Bayern just to get butchered anyway.
So you’d rather have a 0% chance of going through than a 10% chance (or whatever chance we have of beating a Bayern)

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

I choose win and have a crack at one of the bigger boys (or preferably do a Chelsea in the FA cup and draw Doncaster Rovers).

RuudTom83

Interesting to see a Ralf team in the CL.

You know with Ralf he will have been studying them a lot in recent weeks.

Let’s be positive, the tie is very winnable.

jetlee

So you want us to go all out to qualify to a competition just to be there and make up the numbers?
Where exactly it is calming to go out, last 16 or sometimes group stage?
This is Arsenal's last years under Wenger.
And Bayern last week got comfortably beaten by Bochum in BuLi.

PoTMS

Interesting to see a Ralf team in the CL.

You know with Ralf he will have been studying them a lot in recent weeks.

Let’s be positive, the tie is very winnable.
I do wonder how Ralf would do against a top German team? Anyone know his record against Bayern, Dortmund, Leverkusen. etc as Leipzig/Schalke manager?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Be an interesting game, ralfs first champions league game with us. There not having the best of seasons and can be got at, considering there normally one of the best defensive sides in Europe they conceded 3 to getafe last week. We need to put away chances though!!

romufc

A disaster in the making. Varane, Pogba and Ronaldo are the only players with CL cred in this squad. I think everyone else will crumble playing in the Wanda Metropolitano.
What does CL cred mean? Players that have been in finals or won the tournament?