Kick-off
Wed, 5 April 2023 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

JagUTD

You do realise he is a keeper, and that he is not supposed to have any bad passes inside his own half?
    Short passes yeh, probably fair. Those mid range passes are always at risk of being intercepted though and long passes are more likely to end up with the opposition than not.

You have to realise keepers are probably some of the worst passes in every squad. Even those viewed as good on the ball are actually pretty poor.

UDontMessWith24

The possession wasn’t always sparkling or progressive, but it’s a big factor in their lack of sharpness. I think they’ll come out with an aggressive press in the second half

L3G4CY15

Every attacker has been up and down in the first half with some really good moments. People have their mind made up about Antony and Sancho before a ball is even kicked.
    Couldn’t agree more, I was about to type something similar. I don’t think either of them have justified their price tags yet, but they also haven’t been as bad as you’d think if you read the Caf and never watched them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    No way Brentford come out and play like that again. Woeful from them. They're usually good against the top table teams.
    We've pressed them excellently and been very sharp with our passing. Killed their early confidence and it's hard to just pick it up later. Need to do the same in the 2nd.

Oranges038

Big Sam’s Bolton were a good team. Speed, Djorkaeff, Okocha, and Campo, all good players, and a good keeper in Jääskeläinen
    I'd say more Zat Knight, Matty Taylor, Kevin Davies, Kevin Nolan Bolton. Playing for long balls and set pieces.

As bad as they are here tonight, they were worse against Brighton and still somehow managed to get 3 goals.

Gandalf

Genuinely fecking baffling how much shit Antony gets in here after a half like that. Do people genuinely expect him to dribble 2-3 men and curl every chance in the top corner every time?

He's been very good this half. And I hate everyone who can't see that.

Other than that, good half by the team. Giant difference in attitude from the Newcastle game.
    The bolded is kind of weird. I don't hate anyone I disagree with, I hate their opinions.

So far as Antony is concerned a lot of it is due to how high the bar has been set. In the case of someone like Malacia, who is a far more limited footballer, he was signed for a minimal fee to be a back up and so he gets a pass. Antony is one of the most expensived signings in the clubs history and so a lot more is expected of him. For me, he is too quick to go to ground and too greedy around the box but these traits can be trained out of him. My biggest concern with him is that we were sold on his blinding pace and I have seen little evidence of his ability to beat his man in a straight race but maybe he is just reluctant to try.

In the end I want him to do well but I will expect a lot because off the reputation and price tag he arrived with and he undeniably has not measure up so far.

suheilsworld

We need to start the 2nd half with the same intensity and not sit on the lead. Once brentford get find their wind, it’ll be tough to control them as they can be very good at their attacking transitions. Desperately need 2 goals, 1 minimum

Wayne's World

Brentford have been quite poor, considering this is a side who have got points away from home against City and Arsenal

mctrials23

It's weird how this is largely the same team as the weekend. The effect of OT and lack of Wout really showing.
    Its the effect of a good team who played with bags of energy and confidence vs a massively passive Brentford who have barely turned up. We are still struggling to exert ourselves on games when the opposition are up for it.

We are missing Casemiro massively and to a lesser extent we miss Garnacho as an option to change the game.

ScarleyUtd

Unless it's stud up, out of control, and the challenge fortunately miss the victim, then the loose intention interpretation may have its case.

Here it's like diving, when McTominay pulled out the challenge (control of the action) and Jensen (?) was easily able to evade contact.
    Yep looked like a dive to me.

Crimson King

Not at all. A player can kung fu an opponent and completely miss and still deserve a yellow...or red.
    Yeah but that's violent conduct, not a genuine tackle. You swing a punch at someone and it's obviously a red card, regardless of whether you actually touch them.

JagUTD

Genuinely fecking baffling how much shit Antony gets in here after a half like that. Do people genuinely expect him to dribble 2-3 men and curl every chance in the top corner every time?

He's been very good this half. And I hate everyone who can't see that.

Other than that, good half by the team. Giant difference in attitude from the Newcastle game.
    Personally I'm a big fan. Always the expectation something is going to happen with him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Staff
    It’s so important to start well. We’ve looked pretty good so far. Another goal early in the second half hopefully and put it to bed.

DRJosh

Supports
    United minus the Glazers
    Will we ever see the Sancho we want? He has a few deft touches in him but I rarely ever see him take on defenders.

Crimson King

Its the effect of a good team who played with bags of energy and confidence vs a massively passive Brentford who have barely turned up. We are still struggling to exert ourselves on games when the opposition are up for it.

We are missing Casemiro massively and to a lesser extent we miss Garnacho as an option to change the game.
    Garnacho was our best goal threat and most direct attacker after Rashford. I think Martial might shade him in the stats, but he was unavailable for so long and Garnacho ended up being the only real game changer we had from the bench.

He's been a big miss.

Abraxas

We haven't been great as we haven't created much but I think it's been a good half from, just not overly impressive. Brentford haven't been good but I think it's more on us not letting them into the game than them being dreadful.
    Really? They haven't put a foot in. Not even attempted to get up the pitch and lay a glove on our CBs when we distribute. I just see us with comfortable possession of the ball and ultimately a top 4 side is going to be entirely happy with knocking it around in that situation with nobody close to them and their touch and ability not under examination. That's why we've got 77% possession.

It's good from us but a massive, massive part is the opposition being abject. But ultimately that's a PL season I suppose. Some teams will game raise, some will play lethargic like this, you just have to take advantage and win the game.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
    De Gea has done fine with his distribution with the exception of one pass. But it's good to see that he's taking the initiative against a Brentford team that isn't pressing high. That's good to see.

Antony has been our best attacker in the first half and his pass to Sabitzer completely opened Brentford up. His movement, combination play in open play has been very good. Brentford are obviously allowing us to build play by sitting off (which is how they play away from home) but that suits Antony and allows us to be more imposing by getting the ball forward comfortably.

lex talionis

Without citing the username of the poster who wrote this...

He's been very good this half.

...it has to be said that Antony was not "very good" in the first half and I have no doubt that Antony himself would be the first to admit it.

Not shite, not bad, maybe good...but not "very good". We've all written it many times here, but his game is too one-dimensional. That one dimension is fantastic, but when a defender knows an attacker has one trick, it's not that hard to shut down that attacker. There's more to come from Antony, but it needs to be delivered soon. If not, bring on Pellistri.

Sylar

Hopefully we start second half in same way and don't invite them back into the game

Barnslig

Will we ever see the Sancho we want? He has a few deft touches in him but I rarely ever see him take on defenders.
    He's far too timid in my opinion, always pulls out of challenges and never goes hard enough to be a genuinely top class premier league player.

cyberman

Hard for rent does to press high when we have so much pace up top. I don’t know why Ten Hag moved away from that when it worked so well earlier on in the season

cyberman

Without citing the username of the poster who wrote this...

He's been very good this half.

...it has to be said that Antony was not "very good" in the first half and I have no doubt that Antony himself would be the first to admit it.

Not shite, not bad, maybe good...but not "very good". We've all written it many times here, but his game is too one-dimensional. That one dimension is fantastic, but when a defender knows an attacker has one trick, it's not that hard to shut down that attacker. There's more to come from Antony, but it needs to be delivered soon. If not, bring on Pellistri.
    He hasn’t been shut down, he’s had 5/6 shots when he successfully got it inside on his left

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
    Supports
    MK Dons
    Short passes yeh, probably fair. Those mid range passes are always at risk of being intercepted though and long passes are more likely to end up with the opposition than not.

You have to realise keepers are probably some of the worst passes in every squad. Even those viewed as good on the ball are actually pretty poor.
    I realise that, I also realise those kind of passes that he made are not acceptable and he does them so often and should cut it out. But it's obvious he won't improve on them because his passing is simply inconsistent.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 191 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw