Sun, 26 October 2014 @ 4:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 66 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
    Oscar in the team ahead of any of Rooney, Falcao, van Persie or Mata? Yeah, okay :wenger:. Costa is really only greater than our strikers based on form also. Rooney, Falcao and van Persie are all world class players. While Chelsea undoubtedly have more great players in more positions, these comparisons are a bit ridiculous. If you were going off pure quality and without positions being a factor a lot of Chelsea players would be out of that team. Ultimately, it doesn't mean much in terms of the game this Sunday as Fellaini will likely play to nullify Matic instead of the clearly far superior Mata. Also, Courtois is excellent, but not sure how everyone believes he's better than de Gea. Courtois is better at rushing out from his goal, but de Gea is definitely the better shot-stopper/has better reflexes. Neither are near Neuer yet, and both are among the top 3 keepers in the Premier League. If Hazard and di Maria are put down as equal according to another poster than de Gea and Courtois definitely should be also. For what it's worth, though both would of course make the first XI, di Maria is better than Hazard imo.
    I agree with that team to be honest. If anyone could replace Oscar it's Herrera, and that's the only change I'd make. The article is absolutely pointless though, of course.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
    If I was putting together a United-Chelsea team to face a Bayern-Dortmund or Madrid-Barcelona team, that's not far off what I'd go for.

Mata and van Persie certainly wouldn't be in it. Neither would Herrera.
    Probably Rooney over Oscar.
    In a few weeks maybe Falcao could stake a claim over Costa.

Other than that... I'd say it's about right.

Magnus

Another mad swede
    -------------------------DDG------------------

-------Rafa -------Jones-----Rojo-----Shaw

------------------Carrick------Blind----------

---------Herrera-------------------Di Maria

-------------Falcao------------RVP-----------

I feel it's important we play with two forwards in order to put constant pressure on Cahill and Terry (who are not that great) , if we play with a lone forward then he will be double teamed and we'll be under pressure in midfield and defense owing to Chelsea pushing forward.

A Carrick - Blind Double pivot should bring much needed solidity as Blind has been basically doing the work of 2 midfielders. Both are also well capable of finding a key pass and keeping Fabergas and Oscar relatively quiet.

Herrera and Di Maria are our key source of creativity as they'll play the channels and feed the forward line with pace and tenacity.

Hopefully the full backs will be a bit more conservative and narrow the gaps that have been responsible for conceding too many goals off late and allow the 2 CB's to concentrate on Costa.

Prediction - United 1 - 0 Chelsea
    Wilson and Falcao then. RVP sadly doesn´t look bothered

Litch

Stating the obvious but midfield is where we win or lose the game.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
    Stating the obvious but midfield is where we win or lose the game.
    I don't actually think so.

The defence is, which means we'll lose.

Honestly think it'll just be a slanging match and we'll just have to try and outscore them but their defence is miles better than ours so we'll be struggling.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
    Oscar in the team ahead of any of Rooney, Falcao, van Persie or Mata? Yeah, okay :wenger:. Costa is really only greater than our strikers based on form also. Rooney, Falcao and van Persie are all world class players. While Chelsea undoubtedly have more great players in more positions, these comparisons are a bit ridiculous. If you were going off pure quality and without positions being a factor a lot of Chelsea players would be out of that team. Ultimately, it doesn't mean much in terms of the game this Sunday as Fellaini will likely play to nullify Matic instead of the clearly far superior Mata. Also, Courtois is excellent, but not sure how everyone believes he's better than de Gea. Courtois is better at rushing out from his goal, but de Gea is definitely the better shot-stopper/has better reflexes. Neither are near Neuer yet, and both are among the top 3 keepers in the Premier League. If Hazard and di Maria are put down as equal according to another poster then de Gea and Courtois definitely should be also. For what it's worth, though both would of course make the first XI, di Maria is better than Hazard imo.
    United bias? This team is based on this season, Oscar has been better than either of Rooney/Falcao/Van Persie, our three strikers were world class in the past, but this season they have shown nothing yet.

salford_

Oscar in the team ahead of any of Rooney, Falcao, van Persie or Mata? Yeah, okay :wenger:. Costa is really only greater than our strikers based on form also. Rooney, Falcao and van Persie are all world class players. While Chelsea undoubtedly have more great players in more positions, these comparisons are a bit ridiculous. If you were going off pure quality and without positions being a factor a lot of Chelsea players would be out of that team. Ultimately, it doesn't mean much in terms of the game this Sunday as Fellaini will likely play to nullify Matic instead of the clearly far superior Mata. Also, Courtois is excellent, but not sure how everyone believes he's better than de Gea. Courtois is better at rushing out from his goal, but de Gea is definitely the better shot-stopper/has better reflexes. Neither are near Neuer yet, and both are among the top 3 keepers in the Premier League. If Hazard and di Maria are put down as equal according to another poster then de Gea and Courtois definitely should be also. For what it's worth, though both would of course make the first XI, di Maria is better than Hazard imo.
    feck me there is biased then there is this ^ The bold part doesnt make sense to me...

EDIT: And for what its worth, I'd swap Costa for RVP any day of the week.

vibe

Forfeiting a match is still considered a 3-0 loss, right? Maybe we should think about our goal difference and just not show up :nervous:

salford_

It's not going to be a hiding. But with City losing Chelsea can comfortably afford a draw. As they still keep a 6point gap i believe?

Dazzmondo

feck me there is biased then there is this ^ The bold part doesnt make sense to me...

EDIT: And for what its worth, I'd swap Costa for RVP any day of the week.
    Cahill, Azpilicueta, Matic or Oscar aren't better in terms of relative quality than van Persie, Rooney, Falcao or Mata. My point was the idea that the quality in their team is far superior to ours isn't really true. They have a far superior defence though and their team is more balanced. Obviously you'd swap the current van Persie for Costa, but take the van Persie of 2 seasons ago and it's another story.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
    Supports
    Chelsea
    It's not going to be a hiding. But with City losing Chelsea can comfortably afford a draw. As they still keep a 6point gap i believe?
    As I said in the PL thread.. to be 6 points clear of City and 10 clear of United having played City, Everton and United away plus Arse at home is a dream start.

Sammyjunn

Cahill, Azpilicueta, Matic or Oscar aren't better in terms of relative quality than van Persie, Rooney, Falcao or Mata. My point was the idea that the quality in their team is far superior to ours isn't really true. They have a far superior defence though and their team is more balanced. Obviously you'd swap the current van Persie for Costa, but take the van Persie of 2 seasons ago and it's another story.
    We might as well put Nani/Fellaini/Evans/Carrick in that team then, they were excellent some seasons ago. Not to forget Valencia.

Dazzmondo

United bias? This team is based on this season, Oscar has been better than either of Rooney/Falcao/Van Persie, our three strikers were world class in the past, but this season they have shown nothing yet.
    The article doesn't say anything about the team being based on just this season. If you go by that logic, most of Southampton's players would be in a starting XI composed of both their squad and ours. Yet I wouldn't want us to sign a single player from their team (maybe Schneiderlin as back-up). But if that's how it's been composed Herrera has a genuine case to make the team. It's also completely ridiculous in that case as one side has started the season far better than any other team in the league, while the other is still struggling to figure out its philosophy and hasn't had a good start to the season. By that logic, Matic would be better than Toure (he has improved in his last few games though), Cahill would be better than Kompany, Pellé would be better than any of our strikers, etc.

Jaxa

If we can win this game it will really even the table out for us, we will be 7 points behind chelsea still and only 2 behind City and possibly second place.

My heart says yes but head says we will loose, never the less optimism is needed and just hope these 11 guys on the pitch can realise the importance and fecking win a game !

Sammyjunn

The article doesn't say anything about the team being based on just this season. If you go by that logic, most of Southampton's players would be in a starting XI composed of both their squad and ours. Yet I wouldn't want us to sign a single player from their team (maybe Schneiderlin as back-up). But if that's how it's been composed Herrera has a genuine case to make the team. It's also completely ridiculous in that case as one side has started the season far better than any other team in the league, while the other is still struggling to figure out its philosophy and hasn't had a good start to the season. By that logic, Matic would be better than Toure (he has improved in his last few games though), Cahill would be better than Kompany, Pellé would be better than any of our strikers, etc.
    Why would they pick a XI if it isn't based on this season (for the most part)? What would be the point of picking players who were very good a while ago and are average now? (RVP/Mata/Falcao for example)

Dazzmondo

Why would they pick a XI if it isn't based on this season (for the most part)? What would be the point of picking players who were very good a while ago and are average now? (RVP/Mata/Falcao for example)
    Normally, the're a combination of form and past performances. Rooney definitely hasn't been bad enough this season to be ranked lower than Oscar when combining form and past performances. He hasn't been great, but he's still given mostly good performances and he was playing very well in the game against West Ham before the red card. Van Persie's performances have been poor, but he still showed his quality, even last season, when he actually scored a lot of goals in the few games he played. It's probably just a case of bad form which happens to players, doesn't mean the're not still fantastic players. Very harsh to criticise Falcao that much. 2 assists and a goal in 5 games isn't actually bad at all, it's just not good enough for a player of his standard. He's still doing well in his all-round game though and it definitely isn't fair to compare him to players who have played so many more minutes than him in that respect. Again, his past performances have to be taken into account. This is a world class player who has proven it at every club he's been too. Just because he hasn't hit the ground running as fast as Enner Valencia for example, doesn't mean Enner is a superior player. If you were going purely off your logic, however, this would be the case.

Dance If You Wanna Dance

I think we'll see: De Gea; Rafael, Jones, Rojo, Shaw; Blind; Valencia, Herrera, Di Maria; Van Persie, Falcao.

What I'd like to see: De Gea; Rafael, Jones, Rojo, Shaw; Blind; Valencia, Herrera, Di Maria; Fellaini; Falcao.

Trizy

I think we'll see: De Gea; Rafael, Jones, Rojo, Shaw; Blind; Valencia, Herrera, Di Maria; Van Persie, Falcao.

What I'd like to see: De Gea; Rafael, Jones, Rojo, Shaw; Blind; Valencia, Herrera, Di Maria; Fellaini; Falcao.
    LVG said Valencia is injured.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
    LVG said Valencia is injured.
    We really really need a fit Carrick, if Valencia's out.

I'm sorry, I just don't trust Herrera defensively on what he's shown. Hasn't the discipline to hold his position in the games when we have room to play in.

Dance If You Wanna Dance

We really really need a fit Carrick, if Valencia's out.

I'm sorry, I just don't trust Herrera defensively on what he's shown. Hasn't the discipline to hold his position in the games when we have room to play in.
    Yeah, I feel the same about Herrera. He can press too high and consequently leave gaps in midfield.

Donut

I just hope it's a competitive match, and they don't humiliate us like City & Liverpool last year.

Dunk

Body language expert
    Do we ever beat Jose's Chelsea anyway? Nope. We won't win tomorrow. It'll probably be a draw and you lot will wank yourselves silly and called it a turning of the corner.

Getsme

Do we ever beat Jose's Chelsea anyway? Nope. We won't win tomorrow. It'll probably be a draw and you lot will wank yourselves silly and called it a turning of the corner.
    :rolleyes:

SalfordRed1960

I just hope it's a competitive match, and they don't humiliate us like City & Liverpool last year.
    I think City have humiliated us for a fair few seasons now. They and Chelsea have done to us what we normally do to Arsenal. Seems they go on to the park expecting not to lose, regardless of our team.
    LVG needs to instill a bit of physical presence on the park tomorrow and get the players not to stand off. Fancy us creating a fair few chances, particularly if we play 2 up top. Also, see our defenders having to be at the top of their game, whether they have Costa or not.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
    Supports
    Chelsea

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
    Supports
    Chelsea
    Beat us to end our unbeaten record back in 2005/06. It's not just Jose though, Utd have always found us difficult opponents. Our record at Old Trafford prior to Roman was brilliant.

Soroush

Anything but a win would be a disappointment to me, hopefully we will surprise a few people tomorrow.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
    Really wish the daily mail was banned from here. The amount of hits that scumbag site will get just from this thread alone ffs.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
    Unfortunately I am not confident of winning going in to this game.

We still look disjointed as a team, and even with our great attacking players, we are not dangerous enough in the final third.

Also I have no doubt that Costa will play for them tomorrow.

ManUArfa

The team I would go for (obviously won't happen though):

Fellaini can drop back into midfield when we are not in possession, he can offer physical threat up top when in possession, for me his best position just behind the striker, I'd rather see him their against Chelsea than Mata or Januzaj purely for physical reasons. Hernandez used to do well against Chelsea so Wilson could be dangerous with Fellaini and Falcao physical presence helping him, his quickness could be a problem for them as the defenders would be concentrating on battling with Fellaini and Falcao. Obviously Shaw and Rafael can offer more width by getting forward down the wings when we are in possession.
    If we are going to play the diamond this is the team I'd like to see. Fellaini in the Rooney position makes sense as he has a defensive, battling minsdet and offers a physical presence but will get up to support the attack in threatening situations. Whilst we'd only have one holding player in Blind I think the combination of Herera and Fellaini offers additional protection when you have Di Maria in the side who can then be left to run at them through the middle or whip in amazing crosses from the left.

I'm sure RVP would pay ahead of Willo but the youngster offers a threat from the bench.

The main determinant of the outcome of this game, I feel, will be the level of communication and discipline in our back four.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
    MUTV.

"Antonio Valencia and Jonny Evans are not fit enough, I think," added the boss on MUTV.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...eam-news-for-manchester-united-v-chelsea.aspx
    Ah, thanks.

In that case I've removed Valencia from my line up and added RVP. I've gone back to the usual diamond with Herrera & di Maria either side, Mata at the tip and Falcao & RVP up top.

Worryingly open but I'm not sure what else LVG can do without Carrick or Valencia. Fellaini would be the only option and I'm not convinced he would even help defensively.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 543 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw