g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Manchester United vs Club America (Pre-season friendly)| No posting streams in thread or on profiles

YzWayne

I'm on my way to watch Arsenal vs Everton in Singapore, there are so many people wearing United shirt! :devil:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That commentary was an ordeal. John Snow in goal, Blacklett...Oh well.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Doesn't take a genius to figure it out. He can play there, has done on numerous occasions for the Reserves/U21s and has looked good there.
That's not the best reason when he is better in another position. Probably just wanted to see how depay and janzuaj do as strikers given we have a lack of them right now.

LilRicky

Decent match, some solid performances from our new Schmeidfield! :D

We improved a lot in the second half with the introductions of Janazuj and Pereira, I thought the latter had a particularly good game.

Our defence still looks very suspect, some dodgy moments all from Smalling, Blind & Darmian was found out of position a few times in the first half.

Cantonaaa!

Thought Schweinsteiger was a joy to watch. So calm on the ball, and a leader. Very intelligent with his positioning. Will only get better.
Darmian was good mostly I though. Enjoyed the directness of his forward passes. Rafael who?
Schneiderlin was solid as expected. Think he will be our partner for Schweinsteiger if we play a midfield two, our two best CM's imo. Harsh on Carrick but I think Schweini and or Schneid will more or less take over his role in the team.
Pereira looked really sharp. Not the first time youngsters impress on tour though so let's hope he can keep it up. Same goes for Johnstone.
Memphis a little hit and miss as mentioned, but looks like a quality player and I thought he showed some nice understanding for the play.

Solid from most of the others as well, though Evans and the defence in general frustrated me a few times, and Carrick was sleeping for the first minutes. Hopefully we will start scoring more.

Would like to se this during the tour..

--Darmian----CB---CB----Shaw--
---------Schwein----Schneid------
----------------Herrera-------------
----Pereira-----Rooney----Memphis

Shiva87

@TheRedDevil'sAdvocate, I don't think LVG is a great fan of the 4-4-2. I think the only time he used it was in the 2008-2009 season with Bayern and he moved to a 4-2-3-1/ 4-3-3 the season after. While we have the Central Midfield now to play a 4-4-2, we'll definitely need to buy 2 more strikers to play the formation. Given how many midfielders we now, I dont think its likely.

Adcuth

Next game we should deffo mix our world class players with some youth that impressed in this game.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Next game we should deffo mix our world class players with some youth that impressed in this game.
--------------Johnstone-------------
Darmian--Smalling--McNair--Shaw
-----------Schneiderlin------------
------Pereira---------Herrera------
Januzaj--------------------Memphis
---------------Rooney----------------

pacifictheme

Ok, I will do that.
I should probably explain what i meant. It wasn't at Australian fans or anything like that. I more meant that if you're not European then you know its going to be shit viewing times if you choose to follow a European team, just like if i watched aussie rules or nfl.

If it was that much of an inconvience to you i'm sure you wouldn't bother. But i genuinely don't care if it is, just like no one in America cares that i stay up till 4am watching nfl all autumn.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

@TheRedDevil'sAdvocate, I don't think LVG is a great fan of the 4-4-2. I think the only time he used it was in the 2008-2009 season with Bayern and he moved to a 4-2-3-1/ 4-3-3 the season after. While we have the Central Midfield now to play a 4-4-2, we'll definitely need to buy 2 more strikers to play the formation. Given how many midfielders we now, I dont think its likely.
You're probably right. It was just the first friendly match and everybody had to get some playing time. I believe that one of the commentators said during the second half that LvG decided not to give specific instructions just to see how well the players would respond. It was just the feeling of waking up in the middle of the night to see two lines of four on my screen. Just for a minute i thought Moyes was still here. :lol:

Hed Zitin

Fitness showed big time. They were very good off the ball at closing us down right from the front. It was a good work out for the team. I'd like to see us try harder to press.

Over all the passing was crap. The first half was very laboured. The kids half was much better in their movement, pace and energy.

Not good to see Johnstone have the ball that much. I thought he was very good though. MOTM.

Bastian, Morgan and Pereira played well. We have real quality in CM now :drool:.

Darmain, Blackett and Evans played well.

The strikers had barely any service. Totally isolated. Memphis didn't look right playing central and I'm still of the opinion Januzaj is best on the left, which doesn't really help, we're stacked on the left for players. Shame we didn't see players swapping roles or any real interchanging.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Fitness showed big time. They were very good off the ball at closing us down right from the front. It was a good work out for the team. I'd like to see us try harder to press.

Over all the passing was crap. The first half was very laboured. The kids half was much better in their movement, pace and energy.

Not good to see Johnstone have the ball that much. I thought he was very good though. MOTM.

Bastian, Morgan and Pereira played well. We have real quality in CM now :drool:.

Darmain, Blackett and Evans played well.

The strikers had barely any service. Totally isolated. Memphis didn't look right playing central and I'm still of the opinion Januzaj is best on the left, which doesn't really help, we're stacked on the left for players. Shame we didn't see players swapping roles or any real interchanging.
Agreed with this assessment completely and I was about to post pretty much the exact the same summary.

Johnstone really impressed me, wasn't tested all that much and his distribution at times was a little off but I loved his sweeping which he did several times and looked to have real pace coming off his line. LvG should be impressed.

Sid234

Ah fair enough, I was wondering whether we were watching the same game if you watched it on MUTV :lol:
I wish I did!

Commentary featured mentions of Sam John Stone, Blacklet, Smallings, our offensive line, Mickey Carrick, Perrrera, Herrrera and the wonderful pitch that we were blessed to play on! :wenger:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I wish I did!

Commentary featured mentions of Sam John Stone, Blacklet, Smallings, our offensive line, Mickey Carrick, Perrrera, Herrrera and the wonderful pitch that we were blessed to play on! :wenger:
Hahahaha brilliant! Mickey Carrick sounds like a New York Irish gangster.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Some positive signs. The kids did well in general. We didn't play great but that don't matter. They were very poor I think. They were sharp but they didn't test the goalkeeper enough. We can be pleased, especially in the second half where the kids added more pace and created some decent chances.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
May sound weird but Andreas is the player I'm most looking forward to seeing on this tour. Big hopes for him, and we only got brief glimpses of him in the first team last season.
Was MOTM for me. Big hopes for him.

Rezyuz

Used it at Az alkmaar also, but he generally uses it only when he thinks the team isn't good enough fro 433.

marlowe78

I thought for a first game out, we did okay. First half, there could've been more service to the front 3 (as usual) but importantly, Schneiderlin looked very comfortable. Depay looked like he was in too direct of a role as central attacker - I think he would create much more on the wing - but he showed some excellent turn of foot as well. The defenders were pretty good, especially Darmian, and Johnstone covered well for our mistakes.

Second half was very entertaining, it was great watching our young players create those chances under the leadership of Schweinsteiger and Herrera. I am really excited about Pereira, who definitely has the attributes to become a world-class player. I see appeal in playing Januzaj as a striker, as he has the 1 v. 1 abilities and finishing to make him a scoring threat. Wilson showed good pace at times but still can't seem to find himself on the end of a cross.

The broadcast in the U.S., BTW, was laughably bad - praise for the 'great' condition of the pitch (sarcasm?), 'Blacklet,' and Mickey Carrick...

Dante

Average bang
Unless we can bring in another top finisher, I can see our season going a lot like the second half... lots of good football and chances created, but nobody clinical enough to put them away. The squad is still a little lacking in that area, imo.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
these are quality! never seen anything like that before
They're from this article(I had only found it since, I saw them on a FM forum), whole thing is worth a read.

http://s.telegraph.co.uk/graphics/projects/the-van-gaal-dossier/

This line sells his Ajax side short, though.

Then, just like that, it disappeared. The speed with which the 1995 side broke up was astonishing. Seedorf, Davids and Reiziger went to Italy. Rijkaard retired to set up his own underwear company. Overmars was out for months with injury. His replacement Martijn Reuser broke his leg a week later.
They didn't just disappear, despite loosing stars, they were in the next years final, and the semis the year after.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

::sonny::

Ratings:

Jonhstone 6.5
Lindegaard 5.5

Darmian 6: Rafael who?
McNair 6

Jones 8: the wall
Smalling 5.5

Blind 5
Evans 7.5

Shaw 5
Blackett 6

^^^

Mata 6: he is a good player, but not a RW
Lindgard 6

Schneiderlin 7
Herrera 6.5

Carrick 6.5
Schweinsteiger 6

Young 5.5: when he receives the ball he waits too much to take a decision and this ruin the action. How can such as talentless player playing 1 yr instead of Di Maria. Only god knows

Pereira 7: a real talent

^^^

Depay 7.5: pure class, on another level
Januzaj 6

Rooney 6
Wilson 5.5