g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Manchester United vs Club America (Pre-season friendly)| No posting streams in thread or on profiles

LR7

Johnstone comes out of that with the most credit for me. Didn't have lots of shots to save but looked sharp, alert, quick off his line, read the game well, and was very involved in our play out from the back. Made good decisions.

Pereira and Memphis showed some quality and creativity.

Schneiderlin looks like he is going to be key for us. Im just wondering how we're going to shape that midfield for the most part. Can't help thinking it should be a three of Schneiderlin, Herrera and one out of Carrick/Schweinsteiger.

Last edited:

Mali_Zeus

Schneiderlin looks like he is going to be key for us. Im just wondering how we're going to shape that midfield fir the most part. Can't help thinking it should be a three of Schneiderlin, Herrera and one out of Carrick/Schweinsteiger.
Most obvious choice imo.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The first pre-season friendly on such a shite pitch never promised much.

It's all about rhythm and working on perfecting the system going forward.

I called Schneiderlin as an obvious midfield signing when he was mugging us off at OT under Pochettino, but he already looks part of the furniture. Great presence.

pacifictheme

Imagine the Australian fans that have to wake up early to see our matches everuevery week. Puts perspective for how lucky some of us are to get to watch United at regular viewing times.
I honestly couldn't care less about our Australian fans... if its that much of an inconvenience, support one of the Australian teams.

pacifictheme

Is 9 Memphis' confirmed squad number?

Pre season is more about fitness than anything. Especially the first game. I wouldn't look into individual performances too much at this stage.

Shiva87

4-4-2 flat, with inverted wingers. Not two out and out forwards but Rooney (2nd half Wilson) as the main man and Depay (Januzaj) in a free role behind him.
It could easily have been a 4-2-3-1 also. I think Memphis and Januzaj played the no.10 position with the wingers along side them. Doesn't matter though. I dont think Van Gaal is giving away his formations and play style just yet. He just wants players to get game time and match rythym. Won't be surprised if Memphis moves to the wing in another pre-season game.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Only 45 min pre season but this is my impression from our first game.

Very positive.

Schneiderlin - exactly what we need
Schweinateiger - a little bit rusty but you could clearly see this is world class
Sam Johnstone - this young man has bags of potential
Pereira - I looks like he has improved his physique, looked very good on the ball

Positive

Darmian - I few more kilos and I think he has potential to become very very good
Jones - he gave me confidence today

As expected

Young - it's great to see how he continue with bags of self confidence. I like!!
Rooney - as usual a bit rusty in the beginning but I'm sure when season starts he will be up to it
Mata - im glad we have Juan in our team. Very likable player
Herrera - see Mata
Memphis -a little bit hit and miss but he also has was it takes. Very good signing
Januzaj - I think we saw glimpses of his talent, still raw
MC - our elder man doesn't have to impress in our first pre season game, just solid as usual
Blind - centre back is not his position. Clumsy challenge
McNair - a very good young player but his best position is not as a full back.
Smalling - looked rusty but still a rock in our defense
Shaw - a few errors but apart from that he also has what I takes, I like him

I'm not sure

Wilson - has the pace but he still looks to weak. Is third striker at United his best option?
Lingard - needs games in a team at his level, maybe a loan?
Lindegaard - he's a good keeper but maybe his time has come to move on?
Blackett - see Lingard. A loan or sell.

The train has left the station

Evans - I see there are devided opinions about his performance but my impression is that he has lost his confidence. He needs a new challenge where he can start from zero. United needs CB with balls of steel. Evans don't have that.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Nice first pre-season game. Depay is exciting, but that Young ignore when in much better position is a thing that infuriates me. Hopefully there won't be too many of those.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It could easily have been a 4-2-3-1 also. I think Memphis and Januzaj played the no.10 position with the wingers along side them. Doesn't matter though. I dont think Van Gaal is giving away his formations and play style just yet. He just wants players to get game time and match rythym. Won't be surprised if Memphis moves to the wing in another pre-season game.
The way i saw it both Memphis and Januzaj weren't much involved in the midfield areas. When we were on the ball they usually started their movement by pushing further up, alongside Rooney (and Wilson) to stretch the defense. We pretty much relied on the two holding midfielders and the wingers to get the ball in the final third and not on our 10s. And whenever we got there, their movements were those of a second forward more than anything else. You could say that Januzaj's good vision made it look more like a 4-2-3-1 but, at least in my eyes, that's a 4-4-2.

I hope you're right about LvG not giving away our playing style from the first friendly match. Last season he showed his intentions from day one. I have absolute faith in the man but i must admit that i'm not a fan of this formation. And i certainly didn't like to see our defensive line so high on the pitch with a two man midfield in front of them.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
right I cant be arsed to read this whole thread so can someone just give me the formation for each half please - Ive seen the line ups but not clear who was playing where

Crashoutcassius

right I cant be arsed to read this whole thread so can someone just give me the formation for each half please - Ive seen the line ups but not clear who was playing where
4-4-2 basically, depay and rooney up top first half and wilson and januzaj up top in the second. I personally thought we looked very flat and didn't like it

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Johnstone
Darmian . Jones . Blind . Shaw
Mata . Carrick . Schnierdelin . Young
Depay
Rooney

Lindegaard
McNair . Smalling . Evans . Blackett
Lingard . Herrera . Schweinsteiger . Pereira
Wilson . Januzaj

LilRicky

watching a Fox Sports Link of the match and the commentators american accent is really grating on me!

Every time Johnstone is mentioned, it sounds like.... "He knows nothing"

*meme removed*

Last edited by a moderator:

lapassion

You know nothing until you heard Sjierd de Vos from Sport1 (dutch tv)

For example you are watching Madrid vs Valencia and he suddenly goes on to have a 10 min chat about "in the streets of valencia, there is this little cafe called El Polo Loco. And at El Polo Loco they have this special menu called blabla and at this restaurant back in 2008 Sergio Ramos met his girlfriend for the first time. it was love at first sight etc etc"

Its insane really lol
:lol: That sounds like a very infamous commentator in Vietnam. Some of his 'commentaries' include: "Today's ref is Australian. He's 175cm in height and 72kg in weight. His blood type is O. According to statistics, there are 7 players with blood type O, 8 with A, 4 with B and 4 with AB. Another interesting coincidence is that both linesmen have blood type B." (do mind that 7 + 8 + 4 + 4 = 23). Haha, man I never knew there'd be a Dutch equivalent of this guy. Insane. :lol: I stopped with Sport1 subscription once they stopped showing EPL.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Ed must have been watching with a woody the entire match looking at the amount of sponsors on Club America's shirts.
And yeah, American commentary is the worst. Blacklett. John Stone. And at one point I'm pretty sure he referred to Januzaj as "Belgian World Cup veteran".

As for the match, would have preferred a more action-packed spectacle, but it was a good workout if not performance.

RedMilo

Got up early to watch the game on MUTV, impressed with Johnstone, Shaw & Schneiderlin in first half.

Depay did ok but not as exciting as commentators were making you believe, a little disappointed with Darmian positionally got caught a few times but hopefully lack of match rhythm will be the reason.

Big disappointment for me was Mata, he has no pace and gets knocked off the ball too easy, I expect him to be a good squad player but without link up with Herrera he looks lost, also offers Darmian no support on the right, I can see why Mourinho decided to get rid. Everyone else in first half did ok, nothing more nothing less.

In second half, Schweinsteiger is a class act but just needs to improve fitness which is understandable, Perreira played well and looked dangerous and Herrera worked hard in a deeper role, Paddy McNair did well as he always tends to do. Lindegaard worries me, as does Blackett.

Hope we see ADM stay and rumours of Pedro arriving will give us more craft and penetration up front.

All in all, glad I got up:)

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Bastion is a Rolls Royce of a player. Just purrs through the game.

First games of pre season are always a bit dull. I love the amount of options we're going to have in midfield this season.

Drifter

American
Not a bad game. Thought Pereira,Herrera,Januzaj,Depay,Johnstone had good games. Shaw looked a bit chunky but played ok. Carrick was off the pace,but that is to be expected.Schweinsteiger had a few nice touches but seemed to stroll around the pitch.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not a bad game. Thought Pereira,Herrera,Januzaj,Depay,Johnstone had good games. Shaw looked a bit chunky but played ok. Carrick was off the pace,but that is to be expected.Schweinsteiger had a few nice touches but seemed to stroll around the pitch.
Do you think he will keep Johnstone around the club? I really rate him as a goalkeeper.

ThanksBoss26

Do you think he will keep Johnstone around the club? I really rate him as a goalkeeper.
Not sure. There was talk around the time he joined Preston on loan that we were prepared for it to be a permanent deal. Think there's a chance however, as I reckon we'd let Lindegaard go if a club came in for him.