Manchester United vs FC Barcelona (International Champions Cup)

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
1. Rooney will be sensational this season!

2. In July, I want my team to look tired, not sharp.

3. We have a very deep squad.

4. An expensive world class striker would make us favorites for every trophy.
So Messi rather than the next Messi?

Sam

@Sam do you now see why we need schweini as well as schneiderlin.Carrick and Schneidi struggling now to take control. Schweini can give us that.
I'm more then happy we've got both. Never said otherwise.

Skizzo

Couple of thoughts after skimming through the thread.

Didnt think the win was undeserved...however it was a flattering score line considering barca hit the post 3 times.

Everyone at the game seemed puzzled as to why Rooney was motm. Myself included. Watching him out there in the first half, there wasn't much involvement besides the goal. Heavy touches, losing the ball. Not sure who decided on that.

Great game to be at though, good weather, pretty competitive game. Down side being our seats were in the barca section, but plus side was being right there for the Rooney goal, rafinha's volley....and watching iniesta warm up 20 feet away. Plus a high five from Fred the red and a close up of the famous balding glazer ponytail as he walked past.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Rooney is easily capable of 8-10 goals in games where he doesn't play well if he's our main striker (just like this match) and another 8-10 in games he does play well. 20 goals is doable for him, not sure 30 is though. We definitely someone else to step up.

nick2004

Point 1 and point 4 seem to clash a bit..

If Rooney is sensational this season then he will be the world class striker we need..
Well, I said:

4. An expensive world class striker would make us favorites for every trophy.
We have a fine squad and we are going to challenge for trophies, but I wouldn't say we are favorites as we are.

However, if we also add a world class striker (Mueller?), then we'd be favorites.

Shiva87

1. I don't know why we are playing a Team A/ Team B in pre-season, but I'll be very surprised if Team A is LVG's first XI. Maybe this is the way he lines up his two teams in training.

2. McNair was very solid. I would love to see him get more game time. Probably should go out on loan if we buy Ramos or Ottamendi.

3. Smalling needs to significantly improve his passing. Put the defence under pressure 3 times with poor distribution.

4. Rooney was not the man of the match. Rooney seems to have become very static and all his play is now in front of the defenders. He doesn't seem to be running in behind at all. Januzaj added a new dimension to the attack when he played 'on the shoulder of the last defender'.

5. I'd love to see an attacking 4 of Rooney, Pereira, Januzaj, Depay and see if the attack is as fluid. Maybe I am blaming the limitations of Young (predictable) and Mata (slow) on Rooney.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
1. I don't know why we are playing a Team A/ Team B in pre-season, but I'll be very surprised if Team A is LVG's first XI. Maybe this is the way he lines up his two teams in training.

2. McNair was very solid. I would love to see him get more game time. Probably should go out on loan if we buy Ramos or Ottamendi.

3. Smalling needs to significantly improve his passing. Put the defence under pressure 3 times with poor distribution.

4. Rooney was not the man of the match. Rooney seems to have become very static and all his play is now in front of the defenders. He doesn't seem to be running in behind at all. Januzaj added a new dimension to the attack when he played 'on the shoulder of the last defender'.

5. I'd love to see an attacking 4 of Rooney, Pereira, Januzaj, Depay and see if the attack is as fluid. Maybe I am blaming the limitations of Young (predictable) and Mata (slow) on Rooney.
He needs to get the whole squad match fit.

Skizzo

:lol: Good man! Just out of interest, what was the split, 50:50?
I would guess probably pretty close to that. Few Liverpool, arsenal, Madrid shirts scattered around. Good section of United fans behind the goal where Rooney scored singing and chanting.

And of course they love a good Wave in the crowd going round. Thankfully once was enough :lol:

Fully Fledged

Good game on our side. Easily controlled the tempo, especially in the second half. We had our chances, hit the post 3 times and just couldn't execute them. Defence was our main weakness throughout the game, the lack of marking on the three goals we conceded was abysmal, but I can't blame them at this early stage. I loved our youngsters performance and want to see Lucho mixing up the lineups even more. Overall it was a good game for both teams.
Agreed, I thought it was a great match with both side playing really well. In the second half I thought that we soaked up your pressure well and broke with pace and purpose. We rode our luck a bit with the woodwork coming to our aid on a few occasions. I think that 2-1 would have been a fair result the third goal made the game look more one-sided than it actually was.
At the end of the day it was a high tempo warm up match with both sides getting much need fitness from the match. Both sides had their weak spots, we gave the ball away too cheaply while you struggled to defend against our high paced counter attacks at the end of the game.

All in all an enjoyable game that worked towards getting both teams ready for the start of the season.

I know this match will have no reflection on an actual match if we do meet in the UCL this season.

Moby

Dick
Great game to be at though, good weather, pretty competitive game. Down side being our seats were in the barca section, but plus side was being right there for the Rooney goal, rafinha's volley....and watching iniesta warm up 20 feet away. Plus a high five from Fred the red and a close up of the famous balding glazer ponytail as he walked past.
My friend who attended the game somehow managed to get a selfie with Woodward. :lol:

carlosp

Just watching the game again and the amount of interceptions\blocks by Carrick and Blind was huge.
Easily Blind's best game this preseason and great for Carrick to get a full 60+ minutes in.