Manchester United vs FC Barcelona (International Champions Cup)

WyoManU

Well of course you did...it doesn't matter if he actually scores?
Yes, he scored. His defender was about 7 yards away from him on a corner. I'm glad he scored, but if he needs those types of chances to do it... That was his only contribution for most of the match IMHO. I guess we agree to disagree on him. I thought he was one of our worst 3 in the first half, and that is being generous.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
What do you make of Halilović btw? Whats the news will Barcelona keep him or will send him on loan?

Raketa run the show today. :)
I loved his energy and his confidence. He's been playing the Segunda league with inconsistency but under an average coach. There have been talks about him going to Everton on loan, which I think is a good idea, since he won't get any playtime with the first team, and he has to be promoted this summer as per contract. He won't play with the Barca B after they relegated to the third division, and I can't blame him nor want him to. So a loan will be very good, either at Everton or a La Liga side.

No question. You guys controlled the match and are certainly a class above us. You were also missing two extraordinary players. I am always most impressed how every single player on your side presses the ball. You close down and suffocate the space so well. I wish we could do that, but for some reason we never even try.
We were missing Dani Alves as well. Our right flank today was nonexistent.

Well that definitely has to do with the upbringing in the academy and how our coaches, especially the ones who know the system, encourage them to go out there and play the same way confidently without major changes. Plus the rondo training drills are a main part of every daily training session.

nick2004

1. Rooney will be sensational this season!

2. In July, I want my team to look tired, not sharp.

3. We have a very deep squad.

4. An expensive world class striker would make us favorites for every trophy.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Yes, he scored. His defender was about 7 yards away from him on a corner. I'm glad he scored, but if he needs those types of chances to do it... That was his only contribution for most of the match IMHO. I guess we agree to disagree on him. I thought he was one of our worst 3 in the first half, and that is being generous.
But what are you actually moaning about? listen to yourself? He can score a hat trick and you would still find something to beat him with...wise up!

WyoManU

But what are you actually moaning about? listen to yourself? He can score a hat trick and you would still find something to beat him with...wise up!
You seem very angry on this topic. You assume that ANYONE who critiques Rooney is moaning and knows nothing. You then proceed to belittle them and tell them to wise up. Personal attacks aren't going to get you very far on these forums or in life.

diarm

Why have we watched 35 clips of the Suarez offside incident but 0 of the two tight offside calls we had?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Why have we watched 35 clips of the Suarez offside incident but 0 of the two tight offside calls we had?
nobody seemed to make anything of when Rooney held off thier centreback immediately after the Suarez offside, never a foul and was clear through.

carlosp

Haha, another bad writeup.

http://thepeoplesperson.com/2015/07/25/talking-points-manchester-united-barcelona-109470/

David de Gea

The majority of fans might not have expected to see De Gea in a United shirt again given his strong links to Real Madrid but it was good to see him back.

United often had to rely on De Gea to make up for their defensive errors last season and the team stayed true to form against Barcelona, with the Spaniard saving from Sergi Roberto early on following poor positioning from Daley Blind. He could do little about Rafinha’s goal but overall it was a good showing from De Gea. The hope for United fans is that it won’t be last time they see him turn out for the club.
haha, I take it they didn't notice Johnston was in goals when Barca scored.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
You seem very angry on this topic. You assume that ANYONE who critiques Rooney is moaning and knows nothing. You then proceed to belittle them and tell them to wise up. Personal attacks aren't going to get you very far on these forums or in life.
No it isn't i'm fine I can't seem to understand why a lot of our fans feel the need to drop a lot of of crap on W Rooney...I mean he played as a striker, scored a goal which helped to a 3-1 win it wasn't just you but three or four more others..I didn't personally insult you by the way (I would never do that) sorry for saying to wise up but I still feel the same!

Dazzmondo

Very good performance. The Shaw-Young partnership looks very promising indeed. Darmian was MOTM today, looked excellent! Blind played well tbf, I'll admit that I wasn't happy seeing him at cb but this was definitely the best of his pre-season games. The passing was better in the 1st half. The 2nd goal was beautiful too. Delighted for Adnan, because he deserved a goal. I thought he was very good today, and I thought the same when he played against CA. Lingard finishing with a goal and an assist, and he's had a great pre-season so far. Shout out to McNair who I thought gave a very good performance. Also, delighted to have Dave back and I remain hopeful.

Gerald G

I thought we played well in both the 1st and 2nd half. But as always it doesn't mean too much as last season showed but it will do wonders for confidence. I think we could do with 1 more match before the Tottenham game but I hope Van Gaal knows what he's doing in that aspect.

LR7

He loves to tell the journalists that he's "explained it already in many press conferences" every time they ask a question!

Chicharito_

1. Rooney will be sensational this season!

2. In July, I want my team to look tired, not sharp.

3. We have a very deep squad.

4. An expensive world class striker would make us favorites for every trophy.
Point 1 and point 4 seem to clash a bit..

If Rooney is sensational this season then he will be the world class striker we need..

Empire

Yeah, its the formation that will prevent us winning the league. No the players in that formation. Thats exactly what I said. Well done.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/4-4-2.406746/page-2#post-17834095

Post 52

I posted:

I'm quite sure it is 4-3-3 with the point forward, that's what he calls it, Carrick and Schneiderlin will be a central midfield two with Depay as the 10, Young LW and Mata RW and then Rooney playing as a striker.

It's too bad for Herrera though if that's the case.

Edit - I know it looks like a 4-4-2 but in the season it will probably look more like a very attacking 4-2-3-1.
You replied:

I just don't see that winning the league.
If that's what you mean't you should have been more clear considering my post was commenting on a formation in a formation thread. Not sure exactly what your problem is, the manager obviously thinks he can mould Depay into a support striker so he can operate as Litmanen and Muller did for him in the past.

Not sure how you can be so pessimistic, the season hasn't even started, this is the time for all fans to be optimistic, if we don't get off to a flyer then it's only down from pessimism.

Skizzo

Just got out of the match. Decent crowd, not too many chants going round. Barca fan sitting behind talking shit after they scored...shut up real quick again a minute later.

Barca warmed up right in front of us, got some short clips going through the running.

carlosp

They aren't wrong though, he could do little about it from the bench.
Really hard to just write three words then, 'from the bench'. They are clearly talking about De Gea though, so no confusing with Johnston.

David de Gea

The majority of fans might not have expected to see De Gea in a United shirt again given his strong links to Real Madrid but it was good to see him back.

United often had to rely on De Gea to make up for their defensive errors last season and the team stayed true to form against Barcelona, with the Spaniard saving from Sergi Roberto early on following poor positioning from Daley Blind. He could do little about Rafinha’s goal from the bench but overall it was a good showing from De Gea. The hope for United fans is that it won’t be last time they see him turn out for the club.

Red_toad

Must have long arms seeing how he pushed him just prior to the header....

Jerch

Any videos from post match interviews with Van Gaal? Think many players in the second half deserved to be in the first team.

Sid234

Are there any videos of the game available online? I missed it after the first 15 minutes

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I think maybe you need to have a think about how and what you see. If your observation powers are this poor its no wonder you dont see any other contributions. You may need glasses?. Watch again and you will see his sneaky push a split second before the ball got to the defender. Nothing to do with bad defending, Rooney got sneaky and made a chance for himself.