Manchester United vs Leeds (Wed 17th July, 12:00 UK time)

Red00012

2 comments in the space of a few minutes about Chong. One said he was good the other saying he wasn’t.
I didn’t see the game what’s the majority that did thinking ?

K13

They are very difficult to judge these pre-season games. A friendly game with nothing riding on the result is completely different to having to get a result / 3 points.

It is the time to try things and I think each player would have been given specific instructions so although playing in the same game those instructions might vary. Ole could well have told the likes of Greenwood, Chong and Gomes to just go out and play but players like Lingard might have been given a brief to try things because the coaching staff don't need him to prove himself, he has done that but they may want him to adapt his game in certain ways which can only really be done in games like this. He will make mistakes as anyone does when they try something new but surely mistakes are what make us better. To be honest who wants the likes of Lingard to peak against Leeds in a pre-season. Save the performances for the league.

James has wonderful pace but any top team would nullify that so he needs time to develop his all round game as well.

I always remember watching Jack Wilshere at 16 playing in the Emirates cup - he was the star of the show and yet barely featured that season.

The tours are great for team building and trying things but come the first game of the season the PL 18 should hopefully be relatively settled. Greenwood apart I don't see any of the other youngsters making the cut consistently for the PL. Perhaps Chong would benefit from a loan move, maybe even Gomes as well unless the plan is to give them significant time in the cups.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
You're never going to determine whether you're going to have a good season in pre-season, but you can lay valuable foundations.

It looks like the camp this time around is a million times better than last season, with a lot of the same players still there. Let's hope it continues, new players come in and (say it quietly) I'm optimistic for next season.

kundalini

The only downside, for me, was that we seemed to give up a lot of chances - especially in the first half. I couldn't fully concentrate on the match so couldn't really see what was going wrong?
Mata, Rashford and Pogba all lost possession cheaply in our half that presented Leeds with decent situations. The other chances seemed to come from either Rojo, or our wide forwards not tracking back, so Leeds were able to create chances from wide positions, as United had so little cover. Wan-Bissaka is good at winning challenges but was a bit careless at times with his clearances near our penalty area, simply gifting Leeds the ball deep in our half.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Mata, Rashford and Pogba all lost possession cheaply in our half that presented Leeds with decent situations. The other chances seemed to come from either Rojo, or our wide forwards not tracking back, so Leeds were able to create chances from wide positions, as United had so little cover. Wan-Bissaka is good at winning challenges but was a bit careless at times with his clearances near our penalty area, simply gifting Leeds the ball deep in our half.
Ah right, sounds like there's still a lot to work on then. Our wide players are very attack minded and I think tracking a fullback is going to be quite taxing for the likes of Greenwood etc. The answer maybe to push the defence further forward and try to snuff out chances sooner. I always think that when you play with a midfield 3, it is the responsibility of a midfielder to cover in behind the wingers. There's something for Ole to consider if he is planning on playing these young lads out wide.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Also.

Leeds are quite good.

3KDré

Nice to see we're trying to be a bit more adventurous at the back, passing a lot more. I think to continue doing this Tuanzebe is probably the best option next to Lindelof (unless we get Maguire). McTominay is doing well too as a holding player. I'd like to see how a midfield of Gomes, Pogba and McTominay would do.

montpelier

Nice to see we're trying to be a bit more adventurous at the back, passing a lot more. I think to continue doing this Tuanzebe is probably the best option next to Lindelof (unless we get Maguire). McTominay is doing well too as a holding player. I'd like to see how a midfield of Gomes, Pogba and McTominay would do.
do you not think McTom & Pogba are going to be horribly out-workrated?

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
And who's talking about Pogba?
You were talking about Matic but the same argument applies. You don't have to compare what you've done to Matic to be able to criticize - that's the point of a forum.

Matic was shit and has been so for the past year (if not more) - this is empirical i.e backed by data. In terms of tackles/interceptions - Matic has gone down which is obvious. If you were not from Serbia, I believe you would say the same. Cheers.

Fracture90

You were talking about Matic but the same argument applies. You don't have to compare what you've done to Matic to be able to criticize - that's the point of a forum.

Matic was shit and has been so for the past year (if not more) - this is empirical i.e backed by data. In terms of tackles/interceptions - Matic has gone down which is obvious. If you were not from Serbia, I believe you would say the same. Cheers.
No it does not, one thing is to criticise player's performances and overall form but it's a whole another thing to call a player crap.

GailSpaceWynand

No it does not, one thing is to criticise player's performances and overall form but it's a whole another thing to call a player crap.
I think when he said Matic was crap he meant in today's match - this is obvious. Even if he meant Matic at United, he's still not that far off. I still think you're offended just because you're from Serbia like Matic.

Fracture90

I think when he said Matic was crap he meant in today's match - this is obvious. Even if he meant Matic at United, he's still not that far off. I still think you're offended just because you're from Serbia like Matic.
Mate he called Matic crap in the moments when he wasn't even on the pitch, he only come on in the 2nd half.

Obviously I'm biased towards the players I like but people really need to show more respect, to all the people.

GailSpaceWynand

Mate he called Matic crap in the moments when he wasn't even on the pitch, he only come on in the 2nd half.

Obviously I'm biased towards the players I like but people really need to show more respect, to all the people.
Please don't waste your time on doing this - most who quote aren't worthy to argue with and just want to make blanket statements without thought. I get your point. Matic is not crap - he's world class, agreed. (may have gone down in the last few years but still)

Matst1

He'll get that experience playing. And we'll get more enjoyment, because we wont have to watch lingard fannying about doing next to nothing for 90 minutes every week.
True, but what if he has a shocker one game, or just makes a few mistakes and is subbed off. Would kill his confidence. I just think you have to be careful. I think he should be coming on for Lingard/Mata on the 60/70 minute mark every week then starts a few cup games.

Utdfanabroad

I was impressed with Gomes and Chong today. What I've seen of Gomes in the past is that he's ready for game time this coming season. Chong on the other hand may benefit by going out on loan. The future is definitely bright

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Can’t find the formation we played today anywhere on the forum. Anyone know what it was?

King_Cantona07

2 comments in the space of a few minutes about Chong. One said he was good the other saying he wasn’t.
I didn’t see the game what’s the majority that did thinking?
Promising outing from Chong, but he needs one more season of reserve football compared to Gomes who is ready for first-team football and have much better ball retention. Chong loses the ball often and his timing with runs etc still need coaching. Chong can play as an impact sub at best this season. I would love to see Gomes played in number 10 position as he can give problems to any defender, his ball control is soo good and we have a gem at hands.

DoomSlayer

Please don't waste your time on doing this - most who quote aren't worthy to argue with and just want to make blanket statements without thought. I get your point. Matic is not crap - he's world class, agreed. (may have gone down in the last few years but still)
Matic is world class? Maybe this is sarcasm, I'm not sure.

kundalini

Can’t find the formation we played today anywhere on the forum. Anyone know what it was?
First half we played 4-2-3-1 with Mata as no 10. Mason Greenwood right sided attack though did drift inside quite a bit. There was a spell midway through the half when it looked like a diamond to me.

Second half, 4-2-3-1 with Dalot right back, Young left-back. Matic and Andreas Pereira central midfield. Chong left, Lingard right drifting inside, Angel Gomes no 10, Martial more of a false 9 than a target man.

The attacking players appear to have been given a fair amount of freedom to rotate positions, wide players such as Chong made several off-the-ball runs inside, that would have been threatening, had his team-mates got the pass right.

Last edited:

kirk buttercup

Love these young guns . Give them time and let them grow . Love when United have exciting players coming from the academy well done to all that brought them through . Exciting times

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Love these young guns . Give them time and let them grow . Love when United have exciting players coming from the academy well done to all that brought them through . Exciting times
Chong and Greenwood looked very explosive.
All of them look Raw as you would expect but definitely signs that they will be important this season.

Ban

Love how we look right now, full of energy and pressing. Seems that's the way Ole wants us to play. I love seeing our younguns play too and hope they'll get a lot of chances this year.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He wouldn't make Wolves, Everton, Bournemouth, West Ham & Leicester's starting eleven. I wouldn't be surprised if Townsend kept him out of Palace's either.
Well he sure as shit isn’t keeping him out of the England team. Just like the other English players you seem to think would get the nod ahead of him, that are currently playing for Everton, Leicester, Bournemouth etc