g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Manchester United vs Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordemonk

For me the pecking order in the 10 spot is:

1. Mata
2. Januzaj
3. Kagawa
Why is januzaj ahead of Kagawa at number 10. Just buying into the hype around januzaj who still has everything to prove. 2 goals against Sunderland and you're forever a world beater it would seem. He has potential but that is all.

Amade9

Why is januzaj ahead of Kagawa at number 10. Just buying into the hype around januzaj who still has everything to prove. 2 goals against Sunderland and you're forever a world beater it would seem. He has potential but that is all.
My thoughts exactly! Januzaj has been overhyped by Man Utd fans. I only remember him having a decent game at no.10 against an extremely weak Norwich in a league cup game- hardly evidence to place him above kagawa in the pecking order.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
This. But United has a bit of a tradition of bringing players through our youth system, so i think it's important to keep giving him time to develop properly in matches. But he isn't better than Kagawa, yet.

Ling

What has Kagawa done to deserve to be a reserve in last 2 seasons? I would rather give Januzaj a bigger play timr.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
What has Kagawa done to deserve to be a reserve in last 2 seasons? I would rather give Januzaj a bigger play timr.
What has Januzaj ever done to deserve that spot? People are so quick to want youth they would've promoted half of the academy into the first team. Januzaj will be a world beater but you've got to do whats best for the team, at this moment in time Kagawa is the better #10.

SteveW

Some strange posts on Januzaj. He was consistently good last season. Anyone who thinks he just had one or two decent games should really just give up watching football. Kagawa on the other hand flattered to deceive again. Really hope he steps it up a bit this season.

Ling

What has Januzaj ever done to deserve that spot? People are so quick to want youth they would've promoted half of the academy into the first team. Januzaj will be a world beater but you've got to do whats best for the team, at this moment in time Kagawa is the better #10.
We can go back in circle again when I ask what did Kagawa do? He was anticlimactic for most of the times, being lost on the pitch, doing pretty much nothing. Kagawa is better player, but it doesn't mean a thing if he cannot perform. So I would rather give more playtime to United's best young player, potential world beater then trying to awake Kagawa for that #2 spot.

ivaldo

We can go back in circle again when I ask what did Kagawa do? He was anticlimactic for most of the times, being lost on the pitch, doing pretty much nothing. Kagawa is better player, but it doesn't mean a thing if he cannot perform. So I would rather give more playtime to United's best young player, potential world beater then trying to awake Kagawa for that #2 spot.
Again you're judging this on last season? On that basis only Rooney and De Gea would be in the team. The season before that he rarely played in his desired role, was injured for a huge chunk of the season and still managed to post some decent stats. Prior to that he was arguably the best #10 in Germany. He's PROVEN in the position whereas we've seen Januzaj have what 90 minutes of competitive game time in that position.

We're under a new manager who clearly knows how to motivate the players and get the best out of them, that's been shown by preseason where Kagawa has played well.

Ling

Again you're judging this on last season? On that basis only Rooney and De Gea would be in the team. The season before that he rarely played in his desired role, was injured for a huge chunk of the season and still managed to post some decent stats. Prior to that he was arguably the best #10 in Germany. He's PROVEN in the position whereas we've seen Januzaj have what 90 minutes of competitive game time in that position.

We're under a new manager who clearly knows how to motivate the players and get the best out of them, that's been shown by preseason where Kagawa has played well.
Again? Man, I wrote in last two seasons, my first post you quoted. And as I said, Kagawa is better player, but that means shit if he cannot prove it. Januzaj was better player last season. And he wasn't arguably the best #10, he was the best, and the best in the world in his role as counterattacking outlet. And again, means shit because he didn't show that here, only few times we saw glimpses of the 'real' Kagawa. No one is bigger fan of Kagawa then I am, well maybe Mad Winger is, but he didn't PROVE anything in United. He was mediocre so far.

So, you're telling me not to judge player based on one season, but you're judging him based on couple of games? Amazing stuff here on RedCafe sometimes.

ivaldo

Again? Man, I wrote in last two seasons, my first post you quoted. And as I said, Kagawa is better player, but that means shit if he cannot prove it. Januzaj was better player last season. And he wasn't arguably the best #10, he was the best, and the best in the world in his role as counterattacking outlet. And again, means shit because he didn't show that here, only few times we saw glimpses of the 'real' Kagawa. No one is bigger fan of Kagawa then I am, well maybe Mad Winger is, but he didn't PROVE anything in United. He was mediocre so far.

So, you're telling me not to judge player based on one season, but you're judging him based on couple of games? Amazing stuff here on RedCafe sometimes.
The very basis of your argument is flawed, Januzaj was the better player last season playing in an entirely different position, we have absolutely no idea what he will be like as a player in the #10 role, so based on no evidence whatsoever he should be above Kagawa in a position he hes barely played in? Inspirational logic.
As I had already explained the 2 seasons you're basing it on (why I have absolutely no idea) was under Moyes (need I say more) and a season where he wasn't played as a #10 and was injured for a large chunk.

Where have I judged him on 'a couple of games'. I've clearly judged him on his career to date, hence why I stated his time in Germany?

Ling

The very basis of your argument is flawed, Januzaj was the better player last season playing in an entirely different position, we have absolutely no idea what he will be like as a player in the #10 role, so based on no evidence whatsoever he should be above Kagawa in a position he hes barely played in? Inspirational logic.
As I had already explained the 2 seasons you're basing it on (why I have absolutely no idea) was under Moyes (need I say more) and a season where he wasn't played as a #10 and was injured for a large chunk.

Where have I judged him on 'a couple of games'. I've clearly judged him on his career to date, hence why I stated his time in Germany?
Let's just agree to disagree.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Januzaj is a huge talent, who Van Gaal will be keen to find a way to get him on the pitch. Assuming he doesn't go out on loan, I reckon Van Gaal will consider the development of Januzaj as one of his biggest priorities next season and he won't develop if he doesn't get games. If that's at the expense of Kagawa, then so be it. Januzaj has always been talked off a number 10, so that's where he's most likely to get games.

I guess it's also possible that he might try him as a striker or one of the wide positions in a 433. A lot will depend on what formations LVG thinks the squad we end up with is capable of playing.

Moving back on topic (and this is waaaaaay off topic) I don't think our third goal got enough love. 13 passes before Jesse scored and his first touch and finish was a thing of rare beauty.

Proper :drool: worthy stuff.

fordemonk

Some strange posts on Januzaj. He was consistently good last season. Anyone who thinks he just had one or two decent games should really just give up watching football. Kagawa on the other hand flattered to deceive again. Really hope he steps it up a bit this season.
No Januzaj has a handful of good games on the wing. Mostly he was fairly average. I can post his stats and match ratings to show. Kagawa had a very poor season but he was never given to chance to prove himself at number 10. In fact I remember when we played west brom in old Trafford, he was taken off at half time despite being one of the best players on the park. Simply put, Moyes didn't trust him. To use your own words, anyone who can't see Kagawa has great ability should stop watching football.

Ling

:lol: Fair play.
Can't be arsed to argue over interent, don't know why, I just don't have the patience and then I sound like a jerk ( I kinda did in my last post, didn't I?).
Anyway, Januzaj is #10 (whatever that is), just like Kagawa. Januzaj played on the wing and out shined Kagawa by large margin. Even when Kagawa was playing as #10, he didn't perform. His best games were when he was playing in the centre of the midfield and on the left wing. Januzaj is 19 and after his debut season he deserves more chances. We can safely say he can be better than Kagawa and more important, he suits United better. So why not developing him by giving him larger playing time? I have no doubt Janzuaj will end up a a striker one day, or something like that. He's not a winger, he was playing that for the first time in his senior career. I don't know if he even played as winger in reserves. My whole logic is: Develop Januzaj while having one of the best #10s in the world as first teamer. Mata is #1 choice and he should be. I would rather shift Kagawa somewhere else than marginalize Januzaj.

Also
He played well in couple of games in pre season, most of the players did. After watching him in United shirt for last two seasons, I don't have much hope for him.

No Januzaj has a handful of good games on the wing. Mostly he was fairly average. I can post his stats and match ratings to show. Kagawa had a very poor season but he was never given to chance to prove himself at number 10. In fact I remember when we played west brom in old Trafford, he was taken off at half time despite being one of the best players on the park. Simply put, Moyes didn't trust him. To use your own words, anyone who can't see Kagawa has great ability should stop watching football.
Let me guess, Whoscored.com?

SteveW

Don't see what stats can prove in a season where the whole team were so poor. I thought he was very good. I expect LVG will like him a lot and give him plenty of games. He would flourish in any of the front three positions.

I agree that Kagawa is hugely talented. I'm a huge fan of his. He just hasn't shown his true self at United though. A player of his quality should have been able to perform reasonably well in any of the attacking positions and not just as a number 10. He hasn't done it so far. He's looked good on the tour though so hopefully LVG can bring the best out of him.

manufanatic

"crazy"
Some thoughts I was there. We started slow which is unexpected after playing on Saturday. Eventually we started pressing them and in the second half it led to the first goal. Up to that cross Chico was non factor but I still thing he has value to the team. On the night the best player was young mata rooney and yes jones even the he gave up the penalty. Smalling look excellent as well. Herrera was a doing some daft things in the midfield but at least the other team will know that he is around, something we haven't had since keane IMO. Fletcher was good and the young bleckett? Sp was a player for our future or maybe sooner. Now nani is finished and I don't ever like saying that but his pace is gone and he apparently can't adapt like giggs when his pace slowed. I love nani he was hero in the penalty shoutout against Chelsea and he has been a good player for us but he needs to go. Cleverly also has issues but he is still young and playing with mata Herrera fletcher might allow him to stay.

It was a great night although It was raining the whole way to the game but htr rain stopped when the game started I think we lost about 10k supporter because of the rain but 50k in Miami is still good. Also seeing a starfish from gerrard was worth the tickets the rain and the long drive and seeing Liverpool supporters looking at the big screen and being mute seeing Stevie me starfish was priceless. Hopefully we will be in the race all year.

Gannicus

Kagawa was not only decent enough to earn a pass, he's also noted by LVG to be one of his best passers, surely something he values given the style of play he's trying to implement.
Agree with Nani and Ando, but I dunno about Fellaini.
I mean I'm well aware he's been shit under Moyes (at United), but honestly apart from De Gea, Januzaj and Rooney who wasn't? I think Fellaini isn't nearly as bad a player as the season he's had (injuries didn't help) would make you think. True, he might be going regardless, but I'd like to see LVG try and utilize him.
Chicharito is someone I wouldn't want to leave by any means, but I'm guessing he's as good as gone.
My guess is

OUT: Hernandez (sadly), Nani, Anderson.
OUT on loan: Zaha, Lingard, Powell

IN: 1 CB (possibly also a midfielder, but I doubt it, if anything I expect a winter/next summer midfield signing)
Realistic options (ones whose names have been thrown about, not ones we could afford):
Hummels, Vermaelen, or you can take a wild pick at a random Dutch player apparently.
I'd love to keep Kagawa but I just don't know if he's up for being a squad man for a club that's out of Europe this season. If he is, then keep him!

I agree with the rest of your points, although I would place a higher priority on a defensive midfielder than another central defender. But we do have to do both.

Status
Not open for further replies.