Kick-off
Sat, 10 March 2018 @ 12:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lord Zlatan

A win today would be one of the most enjoyable in recent years as the scousers are in full on boom mode believing the champions league and next years premiership is surely theirs. Even my neighbour, who in almost 14 years living here hasnt asked me to the pub but was texting last night to see would i go to watch it together or would i rather keep my shame private.

Janson

Martial for Fellaini and that's the attack and midfield I hope to see one game this season. Lukaku on the right, a midfield 3 of Matic/Pogba/Alexis, and both Martial and Rashford playing. It'll never happen, though.
    Please don't start with the "Rashford and Martial playing together" thing. It wasn't happening before Sanchez arrived, and now the chances are nonexistent.

Web of Bissaka

Extremely confident for this encounter following the comeback against Palace. We'll come out the blocks on fire, the scousers won't know hit 'em.

I'm thinking 4-1 United. Pogba, Sanchez & Lukaku ×2 the goalscorers.
    :devil: I like your confidence and enthusiasm, personally not having the same feelings.

I'll quote your post if we actually will play like that gun blazing and get the predicted scoreline, dun care who score.

Yagami

Good post resistant
    Please don't start with the "Rashford and Martial playing together" thing. It wasn't happening before Sanchez arrived, and now the chances are nonexistent.
    Oh, I know. I'm just saying that I would like to see that before the season ends which I know isn't likely at all.

pauldyson1uk

Extremely confident for this encounter following the comeback against Palace. We'll come out the blocks on fire, the scousers won't know hit 'em.

I'm thinking 4-1 United. Pogba, Sanchez & Lukaku ×2 the goalscorers.
    our performance against Palace is the reason I am not looking forward to this, lets be honest we robbed Palace of those points, yes it was a good comeback and a cracking winning goal , but we were poor. Liverpool will not give us that chance to get back in it.

Web of Bissaka

@Jim Beam :D Why? Not a fan of wrestling? It's how they usually cut their promo in this PG era. Most likely just a job though, not a real fan, but would be nice knowing another one of United's famous/known fan. That said, Woody and his media team is doing more and more perhaps innovative (right word?) here. This is just an example, more can be seen at the official youtube channel.

Gopher Brown

I think we’re all set for a 0-0 and a really poor game. Our game plan will be to nullify Liverpool’s vibrant play and hit them on the counter. We will put in a really big effort, but little will come off.

I only hope I’m wrong, but I’m 90% sure I’m not.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
    Supports
    Liverpool
    Nervous about this match. I love and hate these matches in equal measure and as great as our front 3 have been, a game at OT always throws up a surprise.
    I don't think it'll be an open game, Jose won't allow for that but I do think there'll be chances at either end. 3-2 but I'm not sure who to

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
    Can't believe we're slight favourites for this match. Jose doesn't lose many matches at home, & he certainly won't want to lose to Liverpool that's for sure.

Very rarely back against my own side, but at odds of just 2.72 I've put a £100 lay bet on Liverpool.

pauldyson1uk

moan if you want , I dont mind, but I would take a draw, the last few Liverpool games have been poor and when Sky hype up a game like they have with this , it is normally an anti-climax.
    I hope I am wrong and we come out and feck Liverpool off.

Kapardin

I think we’re all set for a 0-0 and a really poor game. Our game plan will be to nullify Liverpool’s vibrant play and hit them on the counter. We will put in a really big effort, but little will come off.

I only hope I’m wrong, but I’m 90% sure I’m not.
    Liverpool won't be "vibrant" against us. Really don't get how so many think Liverpool will come out flying. Klopp has always been wary of us in the league and at OT, they were quite conservative last season.

Expect both managers to come with a safety-first approach. The edge we have is that Jose is better at it than Klopp.

Janson

Oh, I know. I'm just saying that I would like to see that before the season ends which I know isn't likely at all.
    Yeah, it's not very likely. If anyone is gonna play beside Lukaku and Sanchez though, it will be Martial.

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
    @Jim Beam :D Why? Not a fan of wrestling? It's how they usually cut their promo in this PG era. Most likely just a job though, not a real fan, but would be nice knowing another one of United's famous/known fan.
    No, not really. Made me cringe a little tbh. But, then again maybe I'm just becoming an old miserable git, my friend.

Name Changed

weso26
    I think we will sit off them and look for a 0-0 (which is outrageous at home). Maybe catch them on the counter. I can only see one winner here. I do not think we will be lucky enough to stifle them and keep them out.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Water Melon

You seriously can't see how shit he's been this season because you support your club and the narrative that Pogba is world class. He might have shown glimpses of being world class, mainly in Italy, but he causes Utd endless headaches for midfield set up. Again, I won't expect you to see this and long may it continue.

He likes space and zero defending, which is a paradox in a Jose team. With him out Utd's midfield will be a lot more solid which we could do without.
    Having Pogba injured is a blow, however, if I were an oppo fan, I'd love to see an undisciplined Pogba playing against my team, with either Matic (being slow) or Carrick (on his very last legs). Midfield battle is key, and I believe that not Paul but Ander will be missed badly. If Paul plays, I hope he plays at world-class leveĺ today.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
    The posts saying Mourinho will settle for a 0-0 are depressing me.

A-man

Will there be any thoughts on resting players today, for the Sevilla game? There are only two full recovery days in between.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
    our performance against Palace is the reason I am not looking forward to this, lets be honest we robbed Palace of those points, yes it was a good comeback and a cracking winning goal , but we were poor. Liverpool will not give us that chance to get back in it.
    We didnt 'rob them of points'. We played poorly but we were still the better team, hence why we spent most of the second half camped in their half. We had 70% possession, twice as many shots on target and twice as many corners.

Web of Bissaka

Who is out for this? Martial? Pogba?
    Yup, they're out.
    *could make surprise last min recovery but naah doubt that.

Players available,
    *Most likely.*

Goalkeeper: De Gea, Romero, J. Pereira.

Defence: Valencia, Darmian, Bailly, Smalling, Lindelof, Shaw, Young.

Midfield: Matic, Carrick, McTominay, Fellaini.

Attack: Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata, Lingard, Rashford.

A-man

We didnt 'rob them of points'. We played poorly but we were still the better team, hence why we spent most of the second half camped in their half.
    Agree. They played well, but the goals were first a lucky deflection and the second being smart but not really a goal coming from dominating thr match. It was a greeat comeback and good teams are normally rewarded the final 5-10 minutes when the other team is wasted.

Strachans Cigar

0-0 will do us just fine thanks.

2 points in front of these before & after today sounds ok to me.

Won’t be a pretty game I’m sure but If we can lump it to man mountain Lukaku all game and he can bulldoze his way through on just one of those occasions & slot the winner home I won’t be complaining and neither will any of you.

Web of Bissaka

Will there be any thoughts on resting players today, for the Sevilla game? There are only two full recovery days in between.
    Probably just the ones that get injured, whom may make late recovery. Jose mentioned some are very, very close to recover yesterday. No need to rush them. Jose mentioning Fellaini seems to indicate he planned to use him for this game, maybe.

Our top 4 CL qualification for next season is still uncertain. Doubt Jose would risk resting key players today. I thought he would rest Matic against CP and play Carrick, but nope. Him and Lukaku pretty much play almost every game.

ROFLUTION

I actually think it wont be as boring as the first one.. Both teams have a hard time not letting in goals and Mourinho knows he'll get the stick if we play defensively and lose at home.

Biggest worry is Pogba - will he show up motivated?

2-1 to one of the teams

Janson

I actually think it wont be as boring as the first one.. Both teams have a hard time not letting in goals and Mourinho knows he'll get the stick if we play defensively and lose at home.

Biggest worry is Pogba - will he show up motivated?

2-1 to one of the teams
    Pogba is injured.

The Red Roman

.......VS..

Date - Saturday, March 10 2017
    Kickoff Time - 1230 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Old Trafford, Manchester

League standings and form guide

2. Manchester United: LWLWW

3. Liverpool: WDWWW

Last 5 meetings

Manchester United 0—0 Liverpool

Manchester United 1—1 Liverpool

Liverpool 0—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 3—1 Liverpool

Liverpool 1—2 Manchester United

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 67
    Liverpool wins: 55
    Draws: 47

Pre Match Pressers

José Mourinho

Jürgen Klopp

Team News

Manchester United

Zlatan Ibrahimović, Daley Blind and Ander Herrera ruled out. Marcos Rojo and Phil Jones doubtful. Marouane Fellaini returns from injury.

Liverpool

Nathanial Clyne and Georginio Wijnaldum ruled out.​

Know the opposition

Liverpool FC (nicknamed The Reds) are an English professional football club based in Liverpool, England. Liverpool were originally founded in 1892 as "Everton F.C. and Athletic Grounds Ltd" (Everton Athletic for short), before finalizing on the name Liverpool Football Club and Athletic Grounds Ltd after a dispute between the Everton FC board and John Houlding, the owner of Everton's former premise at Anfield Road. Liverpool's forays into competitive football started when they joined the Lancashire League. After winning the league title in their first season, Liverpool were accepted into the Football League for the 1893-94 season, following the resignations of Accrington and Bootle.

One of the most successful and storied clubs in the history of European football, Liverpool have won 18 English league titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, and 8 League Cups, peaking in the 1970s and 1980s, first under the enigmatic Bill Shankly, and then his 'Boot Room' successors. Although Liverpool's fortunes as a domestic and European force have dwindled in the past 25 seasons, they still have a massive global support-base. Liverpool have two fierce historic rivals - crosstown club Everton FC (matches between them are termed The Merseyside Derby), and Manchester United (who ironically ascended to consistent title-winning prominence as Liverpool declined in the Premier League era).

Referee

Craig Pawson.​
    To Jose this may be “just another big match”, but there is no doubt this is a huge game and always will be for the fans. The animosity between the clubs, and the supporters, is gigantic. In footballing terms, there's something lacking, but the rivalry has everything: geography, politics, the fight to be England's most successful club and recent animosity. On the other, it's lacking the most important factor: genuinely decisive games, and key moments in the context of major trophies. Neither side are competing for the title here, it’s all about the battle for second and the pride in finishing above the other. It would be surprising if either side fell out of the top four entirely, United have a nine point cushion to Chelsea which should be enough with nine games to go to finish in the top four, but really being the best of the rest is the main aim in the Premeir League now Manchester City have the title wrapped up. This game is a battle to determine who has an upper hand in the table, not just in the 90 minutes. United should probably be looking for at least another 18 points from the remaining 27 available which means any points lost in this game is no disaster, but the nature of the performance has to be better than what has been produced recently. “In my mentality, every match is the same,” Mourinho told his press conference. “I'm not very good on that culture - ‘this rivalry is special, that match is special’. I've never been very good at it. I never look to AC Milan has the biggest rival, I never look at Atletico [Madrid] as the enemy, I never look to Spurs or Arsenal as the big rival, I've never been any good on it. For me it is just a big match, two historical clubs, not just in England, but in the world. In this moment, [there are] important points for the top four, important points for second position, which is better than third or fourth place. I still don’t look to some matches as special opponents. It's just a big match, because we are speaking about two big clubs.” The players certainly see things more from the fans persepective, "It is the biggest game for both teams and maybe in English football as well," Mata told MUTV, "The rivalry, the history of both clubs and the atmosphere as well. Any game against Liverpool is special and, if you are able to score a fantastic goal or have a great performance, it will be remembered forever."

Tactically Mourinho's philosophy is basically about stopping the opposition especially in big games. It will be interesting to see if Mourinho has a specific plan for Liverpool like he did for the Chelsea game recently when he deployed his players in a highly unusual 4-2-2-2 system that appeared designed to compete in the centre of the pitch and largely concede space to Chelsea's wing-backs. For me there is a very strong argument for changing shape to a 3-5-1-1 system here. At their best Liverpool are the only Premier League side that can boast anything close to Manchester City's attack thanks to their electrifying high-tempo breaks after they have regained possession. Their shape when attacking is basically a 4-3-1-2 shape because Firmino drops deep and the wide men Mane and Salah move into centre-forward roles. Having a spare man at the back will help United block the channels for Salah and Mane’s movement, the wing-backs would be left to focus on Liverpool’s full-backs, the midfield would match up with Liverpool’s and the system would allow Sanchez to play as a striker alongside Lukaku which is probably suits him better. United could then use those two to counter-attack into the channels when Liverpool’s full-backs push forward.

When playing against Liverpool it is always important not too lose possession in dangerous area’s. Liverpool are surely the most threatening side on the counter-attack. Opta statistics suggest Liverpool have scored nearly double as many counter-attacking goals this season as any other Premier League side. Liverpool are a much more cohesive attacking side than United, the movement between their attacking players is superb, which why a back three and having a spare man at the back could help United massively. Klopp has deliberately built a team without an out-and-out striker. Firmino might not be a true centre-forward but he's increasingly finding the net from centre-forward positions and his movement into deeper posistion’s is excellent, United’s middle centre-back could mark him tight when he drops deep before passing him on to the holding midfielder. Firmino’s movement is desgined to create space for Mane and Salah. Mohamed Salah carries the main threat here, and if United play a back four he will be up against Young. The Egyptian has enjoyed an incredible debut Premier League campaign in terms of goalscoring and United's lack of a solid, dependable left-back could be exposed if we play a back four. Having an extra centre-back means they could pick up Salah’s runs when Liverpool try to exploit the space created by Firmino’s movement into deeper positions. The other outside centre-back would do the same on the opposite side agaist Sadio Mane who now starts on the left – but he remains a goal threat.

I have know problem with United sitting deep here, providing they have some sort of counter-attack threat. This games are about getting the job done and sitting deep is a legitimate tactic against Liverpool because they remain hugely unconvincing when attempting to break down deep defences. Liverpool are a side packed with players who are essentially space invaders, or rapid dribblers who need to roar pass opponents rather than beating them with clever trickery – they are better in open matches, or when Liverpool can play on the counterattack. Salah encourages Liverpool to be more direct and more reliant upon speed. We haven't yet witnessed him contribute significantly to neat, intricate goals that come as a result of breaking down a parked bus. Liverpool sometimes play in front of the opposition too much rather than offering penetration.

In midfield Liverpool are likely to deploy a 4-3-3 to avoid being outnumbered in the centre of the pitch. Klopp packs his side with energetic players who help to recover possession quickly and effectively. The most defensive midfielder, Jordan Henderson, is naturally more of a box-to-box player. Since Liverpool have retreated into a deeper block to utilise the speed of Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah on the counter-attack, Henderson has been less comfortable. His positional sense has been found wanting, he's become dragged out of his natural zone to shut down players and left Liverpool's defence exposed, so United might consider using a midfield shape with a number 10 who can run off the back of Henderson, but I think United should shape their midfield to suit Pogba. Pogba is so physically commanding and capable of a trick to evade opposition when being pressed he will be key for turning defence into attack for United. A midfield shape that suits him with Nemanja Matic likely to sit deep in midfield, and with Scott McTominay in line for another start to the right of midfield, in the continued absence of Ander Herrera means the Frenchman needs to turn in performances that prove he's worth basing the side around.

The 3-5-2 system would leave Virgil van Dijk and Joel Matip up against Lukaku and Sanchez. Liverpool's defence are likely to play high up the pitch, as they did in the reverse fixture. United need to find ways to put Lukaku and Sanchez in with clever through-balls. There should be plenty of space for them because Liverpool’s full-backs will naturally be invited forward because of United’s shape and therefore space will open up in the channels. Sanchez has generally played on the flank so far, but a centre-forward role might be his optimum position - he has similar attributes to Sergio Aguero and is surprisingly strong for a man of his size, he flourished in a centre-forward position playing for Arsenal. Liverpool also can be vulnerable at set-pieces – this isn’t a particularly tall side and Liverpool consistently don't defend corners well.

Subs - Romero, Shaw, Carrick, Fellani, Mata, Lingard, Rashford.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
    Further confirmation of Pogba’s injury.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
    Don't care how the media will frame it, a 0-0 shitshow is fine with me; in fact it'd be funny to see ABU's foam at the mouth while we remain the second best team in the country. And if we finish there come end of the season with all the glaring issues - imagine when Mou has all the pieces of the puzzle :devil:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
    Supports
    There's only one United!
    I'd like to win this game but if we don't all that matters now is the top four.

We've been so happy for the 26 SAF years winning 13 Premier Leagues in the process whilst others have never ever physically touched the PL trophy - only seen it in photos. It's hard to digest.

AndyJ1985

Hope we attack them and put a few past their shite 'keeper. But I'm expecting another cautious defensive display from Jose.

Havak

Pokemon master
    de Gea
    Valencia Smalling Lindelof Shaw
    McTominay Matic
    Lingard Mata Sanchez
    Lukaku

Or

de Gea
    Bailly Smalling Lindelof
    Valencia McTominay Matic Young
    Lingard Lukaku Sanchez​

Tough call, no Pogba/Herrera or Martial will really hinder us... I don't think we can play a strong enough 433 to match them up with it being Fellaini's first game back. Three at the back might be the better call for this reason - take the game to them early.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
    Would absolutely love it if Sanchez scored the winner tomorrow. Just want to see him get up and running and banging them in like he did for the Arsenal.

Bailly's been fit for a few weeks now. Don't know why he isn't starting games. We really need him for this game. Still think we're going to do the Dippers though. Going for a 3-1.

Idxomer

After Pogba's injury, I'm predicting Mourinho to go with 3-5-2 formation.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
    Apparently only 15 squad members arrived at the lowry hotel. There was no sign of Pogba/Fellaini. One spot i think is open for either one of them. Really hope Pogba can make it in, even his presence is enough. Going in with Matic -mctominay midfield is very problematic, neither are mobile and mctominay specially finds it difficult to get out when other team is closing down.
    Last year they harrased carrick and we were almost playing with 10 players. Pogba dint even play in reverse fixture and most of our creativity and drive will be absent without him. Really really hope he can play. Liverpool are lucky feckers having all of their first choice players fit.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 631 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw