Sun, 14 September 2014 @ 4:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 54 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
    Based on players recovering from injuries and not sustaining injuries during the international break:

de Gea
    Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
    Blind
    Herrera Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney Falcao

Rafael and Shaw at fullbacks will transform this team, I'd say they're the most important players in the above lineup. Without their ability to run and create width we'd have to stretch Herrera/Mata out wide to create the width; which in turn loses the shape of the team and create space in the midfield for the opposition team to exploit.

Most of the players have the ability to push into different positions so it's a lot more difficult for defending teams to pick up the players. Jones could move into midfield with the ball and Blind could fill in at the back comfortably. Herrera could move into the CAM role with Mata sitting deeper. Di Maria showed he can play up the right wing just as well as he plays into the left wing.

This team when fully fit would be a revelation in my opinion. Plus with players like Januzaj and RvP on the bench it looks strong.

Can't see past a united win and I have predicted 4-1 to United.

Barca84

Supports
    Doesn't support Barca
    Based on players recovering from injuries and not sustaining injuries during the international break:

de Gea
    Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
    Blind
    Herrera Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney Falcao

Billy Jim

4-4-fecking-2

De Gea
    Rafael Jones Evans Rojo
    Di Maria Herrera Blind Januzaj
    Rooney Falcao
    Allows us to chop and change formations at will. Eg, 3-5-2:

De Gea
    Jones Evans Rojo
    Rafael Herrera Di Maria Blind
    Januzaj
    Rooney Falcao
    Or 4-3-3:

De Gea
    Rafael Jones Evans Rojo
    Blind
    Herrera Di Maria
    Januzaj Falcao Rooney
    Basically, it's QPR at home so lets just play around a bit and see what sticks.

Crono

What are the injury updates?

Shaw, Rafael, Carrick, Herrera

Don't want to know about Fellaini.

Crono

Rafael, Shaw and Herrera SHOULD be fit by the game. Carrick will be another month or so at least.
    F*cking hope so, sick of Fletcher, Young and Valencia stinking the place out.

Adcuth

Guys has Falcao had his work permit through yet. Think i heard the other day it hadn't been approved or something. It will be done in time for QPR wont it :nervous:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    the way Mata limped off surely means he's got a chance of missing out.
    That would mean Van Gaal would "get away" with having to make the biggest call of them all, leaving out 1 of Falcao, VP, Rooney and Mata.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
    Guys has Falcao had his work permit through yet. Think i heard the other day it hadn't been approved or something. It will be done in time for QPR wont it :nervous:
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...ry-as-Radamel-Falcao-faces-work-permit-issues
    There is unlikely to be an issue with Falcao being granted a visa but he is required to undergo an interview with UK embassy officials before being granted his working visa.
    Ignore the ridiculous over-dramatic headline. It will be sorted with no problem.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

de Gea
    Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
    Blind
    Herrera Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney Falcao

Dem

Falcao upfront with rvp rooney in the hole

sugaspott

So excited for this game you know, first visit to the theatre of dreams and making the trip up from London, couldn't find any kind of sticky with some pointers so if anyone can usher me in the right direction I would be grateful
    As for the game, I hope any one of Radamel, Rooney, RVP score from open play at least twice and at least one of Daley, Ander, Marcos have a blinder of a game! I am hoping it all starts to click and make sense in terms of "the flying Dutchmans" philosophy.
    We all knew life after Sir Alex would be difficult but the transition is almost complete, we need to remain faithful and believe.
    Final score prediction: MU 3 - 1 QPR

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
    Staff
    Want to see us line up like this:

----------De Gea------------
    Rafael--Jones--Rojo--Shaw
    ------------Blind------------
    -----Herrera----------------
    ---------------Mata
    Januzaj-----------Di Maria
    -----------Falcao-----------

Actually, as long as we ditch 3-5-2, then I don't care who plays.

Devilishly Red

de Gea
    Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
    Blind
    Herrera Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney Falcao
    I think this is probably our best option, with great flexibility for chopping and changing formation as the game progresses, With Blind dropping in CB as and when needed and the full backs pushing on giving us the 3412, Also I honestly believe, even tho Januzaj is a great talent, Mata, Rooney and even RVP are currently the better players, so my theory is that they will get picked before him in most game's.

chriswt

Suspect the reason so many people would love to see 4 at the back is partially due to the fact that we won't have to see ankle-hitting Valencia and backpass Young in the side.

detinUnaM

If Blind and Carrick can have great seasons then we can even challenge for the title. I hope Blind has a good debut. He doesn't need to be flashy or anything. Just efficient and get the forward pass ticking. Rest of the flair players in our team will then start to create because they will know that Blind will cover for them. If he can give the same confidence to the defense too then we can see our full backs/wing backs running forward more frequently. So all in all...no pressure Blind :wenger:

Manutd89

De Gea

Rafael-Jones-Rojo-Shaw

Herrera-Blind-Di Maria

Mata

Rooney-Falcao

I hope this will be the line up.

Either way its a clearly a must win.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
    Ha Ha.. But I thought Blind would be more of a starting CM, who can play LB (not CB).
    Definitely but he's an option if 3 defenders are injured, its enough depth.

vidal7

We move to LVG's Favourite 4-3-3(In reality the 4-2-3-1). LVG calls it 4-3-3 but in reality the two in the middle are A 6 and 8(dm and box to box).

--rafael----jones---Rojo----Shaw
    -----Herrera(8)-----Blind (6)-----
    RVP/januzaj(if)--Rooney/mata---di maria(Wing)
    -------------Falcao(9)-------------

Why this will Happen?
    It replicates what LVG calls his perfect 4-3-3 (4-2-3-1). He always uses a wide winger and one inside forward. The leading man is always a 9 and then you have a Pure number 10.

How it works?
    You have the pace of di maria, the goal scoring of falcao, the inside wing role of RVP (played here in his younger days), also Rvp is very creative and always tries to cut inside from Right to left, this creates space for rafa/valencia to provide the width.
    Blind will always stay defensive, he will go in between the centre backs and he rarely does move from that position. I think Carrick would have played it brilliantly, hopefully he comes back soon. Herrera is a good player, he can defend and provide Good passing when needed. He is the engine, the 8. This is where Vidal could have been or strootman might be.
    Di maria explains itself, clearly his best position. Rooney & mata fight it out for the number 10 spot, i think mata wins that in the long run. Rooney's Regressing touch and his inability to beat a man will be found out.
    Falcao is there to finish of the moves, The crossing from di maria's side or the intricate play from RVP/januzaj's side.

What is the problem?
    Rvp might be too slow, may not want that role. Januzaj takes that role perfectly too. Having RVP sit on the bench will be difficult. Our defense looks weak, carrick is needed here, but he is getting old. Herrera might find the speed of the league too much, His defensive qualities might be a lil iffy.

Overall!
    Overall, this should work. Blind takes the short ball from defense or it goes wide to the Fullbacks and we build from there. The system could be changed without making a substitute To a three at the back, by making blind as the third center back. It also uses our best players in their best positions bar only RVP, who is fairly comfortable in that position. RVP played wide in this world cup,when robben went up top. There is too much creativity and good amount of pace in the team. Also the full backs are very quick and make the pitch wider, they dont come in and are always available for Rooney's hollywood ball. The movement of falcao provides a focal point for the attack and there is too much in this team for most defense on any given day. Problem is keeping all of them fit. I think this problem also brings a solution as the injured player goes out, it gives a chance to a new player who might fit the system even better.

Lets hope LVG has this in mind. May be he still plays 3 at the back, but i think the team above is very capable of being able to play the 4-2-3-1 that LVG loves.

Mesutargie

Falcao is likely to play the friendly match against Brazil 5 hours later, right? Must check it out!:devil:

Ralph1386

De Gea

Rafael-Jones-Rojo-Shaw

Herrera-Blind-Di Maria

Mata

Rooney-Falcao

I hope this will be the line up.

Either way its a clearly a must win.
    LVG likes 4-3-3. This formation is a no-brainer for me with the players we have. RVP can rotate with Rooney or Falcao.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
    LVG likes 4-3-3. This formation is a no-brainer for me with the players we have. RVP can rotate with Rooney or Falcao.
    thats a narrow 433 while van gaal always loved the 433, because it allows you to utilize two wide players. This formation has little to do with LvG´s philosophy even so its 433. I think that he´ll continue to use three in the back+wingbacks, if he wants to play with two central forwards.

Pagh Wraith

De Gea
    Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Shaw
    Herrera - Blind
    Di Maria - Mata - Januzaj
    Falcao

Seems to be the best line-up for me. No chance Rooney gets dropped, though.

fordemonk

The people dropping Mata from their lineups and keeping Di Maria or Rooney in his place are seriously under-estimating his potential. Mata is a brilliant playmaker who will thrive in the role of linking the midfield and generating defence-splitting passes to our amazing attack.

The reason Mata wasn't able to perform to the best of his ability was the lack of CMs who could retain possession and ball-playing defenders. I have huge expectations of Blind, Herrera and Rojo to do those tasks. I think that will be the key for us this season as if the three of them are able to retain possession and build-up play from the back then Mata will not be expected to track back and can showcase his attacking prowess.

What can Mata do when players like Blackett play hoofball to the strikers or side-pass Cleverly is incapable of building up play. Fletcher has failed miserable in the CDM role so far and that has severely increased pressure on our defense while also reducing the delivery to our forward line. This has meant Rooney has had to come back into the midfield and left Mata with a half-fit RVP and some really poor wingers to pass to (i.e. provided he got a decent opportunity to create an attacking play).

Compare that now with Di Maria and Januzaj as potential wingers who are capable of making the intelligent runs into the box and strikers or the quality of Rooney, Falcao and RVP (fully fit) to take advantage of the opportunities. IMO Daley Blind has the most critical role of providing cover to defense and building play with Rojo.

Anyways long story short, Play Mata.

de Gea
    Rafael-Jones-Rojo-Shaw
    Januzaj- Herrera-Blind-Di Maria
    -----------Mata-
    ---------------Falcao-
    I hope you're right but I think he needs dropping after recent performances. He hasn't played well since the roma game preseason, in a team built to play him.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Angel Di Maria image Angel Di Maria 73% of 1010 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 705 ratings.

Score Predictions