Kick-off
Sun, 14 September 2014 @ 4:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 54 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Chorltonian

Defence. I see two things, formation & personnel. LVG will stick with 3 at the back until he's tried the new signings, and at the very least to save a little face. If Jones and Smalling are both out that leaves Evans, Rojo & Blackett but; can Rojo play centrally, Blackett on the right, or can Blind play CB at all?

I really don't buy this back 4 stuff 'cos of injuries. So, maybe Blackett - Evans - Rojo?

RyRy11

For the first time in what seems years we have a genuine selection dilemma before a game that doesn't involve injuries... that can only be a good thing

anidea

I think this is the way we will line up vs QPR:

-----------------DDG---------------------
    ----Rojo/Smalling--- Evans---Blackett/Rojo----
    Valencia ----------------------------------Blind
    -----Herrera-----Fletcher--------Di Maria-------
    -------------Rooney--van Persie----------

It is not the line up I would like to see but probably end up seeing. Good enough to scrap a victory.
    Reasons:
    • Valencia has provided width against Burnley, and is strong defensively. Rafa will be short of match fitness, and not smart for WB.
    • WB is very important for 3-5-2, and Blind is smart and knows this sytem well, having played in this position for Netherlands.
    • van Gaal will believe a MF 3 of herrera, Fletcher and ADM would be enough to see them against QPR. Fletcher can do with two hard working CMs alongside him.
    • Mata brought in for Fletcher at some point, or may be starting for him with Herrera and Di Maria 2 in midfield
    • Falcao not fit upto the standards van Gaal requires and wouldn't have been able to give his utmost as van Gaal would say

gasmanc

Banned
    Imagine were going to line up 3-5-2 but if we could bring ourselves to play four at the back if Rafael is fit then we could use the pace of Januzaj in the front 3 to give their CB's hell.

Still here's how it will likely lineup for me.

----------------DDG--------------

----Evans------Rojo------Blackett

-----------------Blind------------

Valencia--Herrera--Di maria--Shaw

-----------RVP-------Rooney-------

--------------Austin---------------

Philips-------- Fer-------- Vargas

------Barton------- Sandro------

Isla--- Caulker-- Ferdinand--- Hill

-------------Green----------------

-------------Austin

82pence

Just please Louis, no Valencia/Fletcher/Young...

------------DDG----------

Rafael---Jones---Rojo----Shaw

----Herrera---Blind---Mata

Di Maria ---Falcao---- Rooney

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
    Hope we don't boo Rio. He is United through and through.
    I'd be amazed if he gets anything but an outstanding warm reception. Also I expect him to roll-back the years and play out of his skin, as it's just been that sort of season(s).

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
    I think this is the way we will line up vs QPR:

-----------------DDG---------------------
    ----Rojo/Smalling--- Evans---Blackett/Rojo----
    Valencia ----------------------------------Blind
    -----Herrera-----Fletcher--------Di Maria-------
    -------------Rooney--van Persie----------

It is not the line up I would like to see but probably end up seeing. Good enough to scrap a victory.
    Reasons:
    • Valencia has provided width against Burnley, and is strong defensively. Rafa will be short of match fitness, and not smart for WB.
    • WB is very important for 3-5-2, and Blind is smart and knows this sytem well, having played in this position for Netherlands.
    • van Gaal will believe a MF 3 of herrera, Fletcher and ADM would be enough to see them against QPR. Fletcher can do with two hard working CMs alongside him.
    • Mata brought in for Fletcher at some point, or may be starting for him with Herrera and Di Maria 2 in midfield
    • Falcao not fit upto the standards van Gaal requires and wouldn't have been able to give his utmost as van Gaal would say
    That's not a bad shout actually, I'd say that's the most likely lineup.

I hope you are wrong though. I want Falcao on from the start and as much as I like the guy, I don't want Fletcher anywhere near the team anymore.

Also, feck 3-5-2.

Smoke On the Water

Are we completely sure that Blind will be playing in the anchor role? I feel for Fletcher but he really isn't good enough at this level to be playing as the distributing central midfielder. Since he's vice captain though I guess he'll be starting every game that he's fit?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
    Are we completely sure that Blind will be playing in the anchor role? I feel for Fletcher but he really isn't good enough at this level to be playing as the distributing central midfielder. Since he's vice captain though I guess he'll be starting every game that he's fit?
    Hope not. Captain has to start but not the vice captain. When Blind plays in CDM, we are going to find out if he is better than Fletcher and right now its not to take him much to be better than our vice captain. If it benefits the team, then why not play Blind there instead of Fletcher.

Smoke On the Water

Hope not. Captain has to start but not the vice captain. When Blind plays in CDM, we are going to find out if he is better than Fletcher and right now its not to take him much to be better than our vice captain. If it benefits the team, then why not play Blind there instead of Fletcher.
    I am not clued up on the way Blind plays in all honesty but watching Fletcher, he barely does any defending and nearly never shows for the ball deep to turn and open up play. That is so frustrating. In the Burnley game especially he only had 4 forward passes in our own half out of 51. If he's going to be part of a two man midfield he needs to realize that it is his job to be back and picking up the ball taking the pressure off the back three playing out.

Blind or whoever needs to be doing this a lot more often, even Fellaini could probably do a better job in distribution than Fletcher has been. I personally think this is one of the massive structural problems as to why our 3.5.2 has not been working.

Rykker_4united

Supports
    Keep Rodgers at Pool.
    --------------DDG
    ---Jones----Smalling----Rojo
    Rafael----------------------Shaw
    ---------Blind---Di Maria
    -------------Mata
    -------Rooney--Falcao

Listar

With Rvp returning late from international (not as fit as he was before), will we see Rooney and falcao starting? :drool:

ElectroManiac

To all the people going to this match, I'm hoping you guys start cracking lololololol Radamel Falcao!!!

I want to hear this from my TV when I'm watching this game :devil:

ricky-romeo

i hope we change to a back 4.

we should have blind and herrera available in midfield and di maria as well so this is the right time to move to 4-3-3 imo.

the key however is the return of rafael and shaw. if they can be fit and injury free they are going to be vital for us and the system. a shame we didn;t have natural back ups for either of them, especially at RB. at least we got the likes of rojo or blind to deputize shaw.

GRon

Not really.

Past it Rooney, past it RVP, who knows Falcao.

If all three were in their prime then yeah.

You have articulated my worry precisely. I'm afraid a lot of people are going to be disappointed come Sunday.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
    Not really.

Past it Rooney, past it RVP, who knows Falcao.

If all three were in their prime then yeah.
    Past it based on what? Rooney gets criticized like crazy on these forums. RVP has had a bad run and he's suddenly "past it". And everyone knows Falcao - an absolute beat up front.

GRon

Past it based on what? Rooney gets criticized like crazy on these forums. RVP has had a bad run and he's suddenly "past it". And everyone knows Falcao - an absolute beat up front.
    Falcao has not produced the Athletico/Porto form for Monaco.

Rooney has not really played well when it mattered since a 2011/12.

whatagoodname

Supports
    Liverpool
    Quick question, is LVG really going to persist with this 3 at the back?

binary bot
    Quick question, is LVG really going to persist with this 3 at the back?
    Nobody really knows because we've been missing our first choice fullbacks for the first three games and have had mainly pathetic options in both midfield and defence up until now. This game should give us a better view of what he'll persist with.

whatagoodname

Supports
    Liverpool
    Nobody really knows because we've been missing our first choice fullbacks for the first three games and have had mainly pathetic options in both midfield and defence up until now. This game should give us a better view of what he'll persist with.
    Nothing yet to suggest he isn't, at least in the short term.

Also (sorry chaps) nothing to suggest he's salivating at he prospect of Rafa's return from injury.
    Cheers. Personally think the personnel is much more suited to 4 at the back, would actually be surprised if he persisted that much longer with it.

RikRuud

i hope we change to a back 4.

we should have blind and herrera available in midfield and di maria as well so this is the right time to move to 4-3-3 imo.

the key however is the return of rafael and shaw. if they can be fit and injury free they are going to be vital for us and the system. a shame we didn;t have natural back ups for either of them, especially at RB. at least we got the likes of rojo or blind to deputize shaw.
    I think it all depends on what formations we have been applying in training. I wonder if they have even tried a 4-3-3 formation yet. But i do agree i'd love to see Rafael and Shaw back in the team.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Angel Di Maria image Angel Di Maria 73% of 1010 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 705 ratings.

Score Predictions