Kick-off
Thu, 8 September 2022 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

NewYorkRed

Garnacho’s absolutely got to start here for me. We have to give these youngsters a chance so he’s got to play this game. I’d also like to see Iqbal get some minutes, even if its 30 mins off the bench. Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw and AWB should start as well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
    We need to be looking to win this tournament ideally.

Dread Devil

I think keeping momentum is important as is this trophy, just a few changes as Real are the toughest side in the group…something like this could be on the cards…

De Gea
    Dalot Varane Maguire Malacia
    Fred Casemiro
    Bruno
    Antony Ronaldo Elanga

Lots of Spanish and Portuguese speaking players who know the language, players and style of play…

Would be good to see Lindelof, Martial, Garnacho, Iqbal and Shaw all getting substantial minutes… for fitness and integration as well as rest for some of the overused players…

NLunited

La Real is a strong side: I think we will have a few changes only. Remember, we can sub five players.

Wing Attack Plan R

Our 2nd XI will hopefully do the business in this competition. They need minutes and I think we will eventually see some of them rotating through the league XI. We are going to need Shaw and AWB and Lindelof and Maguire at some point, so get them up to speed in this and the league cup.

Yes, we are in it so we should play to win it, we need silverware. With games every 3 or 4 days we need to rest players now or watch them physically fall apart by Xmas. And Sociedad might turn us over, but we have to remember these players recently knocked out of the first team are still good players, and they need to play to stay focused.

always_hoping

We are 5/6 years without a trophy. In no position to be turning our nose up at a competition we have a genuine chance of winning.
    True and this competition might be Uniteds best opportunity of Champions league football next season.

Jaap

De Gea
    ? Lindelöf Maguire Shaw
    Fred Casemiro
    Elanga ? Garnacho
    Ronaldo

Depth looking good. A lot of players in need of a rest.

AussieDevil

I agree with @Havak - I don't think there'll be wholesale changes.

Even though we're doing well at the moment, I still maintain we need to try and win the Europa League because Top 4 is going to be very tough.

Play a strong side, rest whoever really needs it. Qualify, then play the kids in the last couple of games.

De Gea
    Dalot - Maguire - Martinez - Shaw
    Casemiro
    Bruno - Fred
    Anthony - Ronaldo - Sancho​
    This is the side I’d go with but I’d have either Elanga or Garnacho in for Sancho. I’d also only give Martinez 55 minutes maximum.

AussieDevil

Also what’s Lindelofs status. The guy is a start for most teams across Europe bar the elite so he won’t accept no game time. Could we possibly see Maguire-Lindelof for the Europa, Martinez and Varane playing the league.

kundalini

Next day after a match you'd normally see players who started either doing recovery or very light training, while subs and not involved train more seriously.

No sign of Shaw, Martial, Wan-Bissaka, Van de Beek in Monday's training pics or video.

Zidane Iqbal and Garnacho were training with Ronaldo, Fred, Casemiro, Lindelof, Elanga, Maguire.

Jones and Brandon Williams are not on United's A list for the Europa League group stage due to the timeframes of their respective injuries. Pellistri and Tuanzebe are included so could feature when fit.

Last edited:

SWE-Chucky

Supports
    AIK Stockholm
    We could put in 11 new players if Martial is the only one injured.

Dubravka
    Wan Bissaka Maguire Lindelöf Shaw
    Casemiro Fred
    Elanga VdB Garnacho
    Ronaldo

Insane that this could have been our regular eleven last year (If you put in McTominey for Casemiro and DDG for Dubravka).
    And to realize that we now have a whole new team in;

DDG
    Dalot Varane Martinez Malacia
    Mctominey Eriksen
    Antony Bruno Sancho
    Rashford

Well done.

bringbackbebe

Next day after a match you'd normally see players who started either doing recovery or very light training, while subs and not involved train more seriously.

No sign of Shaw, Martial, Wan-Bissaka, Van de Beek in Monday's training pics or video.

Zidane Iqbal and Garnacho were training with Ronaldo, Fred, Casemiro, Lindelof, Elanga, Maguire.

Jones and Brandon Williams are not on United's A list for the Europa League group stage due to the timeframes of their respective injuries. Pellistri and Tuanzebe are included so could feature when fit.
    The full back position is looking a bit shaky given we have a Thu-Sun schedule right through. Don't think Dalot-Malacia can play twice a week without a drop in quality due to fatigue.

Dr Foo

I don't think we should make wholesale changes against the strongest team in our group, in a competition that we could win. Even if our second string are good players on paper, there will be zero chemistry. But I am also concerned about the durability of our first 11 and giving much needed minutes to others (does show that we have some depth now). Hmm

Heaton/Dubra

Dalot Maguire Lindelof (Martinez) Shaw

Casemiro Fred
    Bruno (VDB)

Antony Ronaldo (Martial) Elanga

MexicanCowboy

Supports
    Barcelona
    If you guys don't take Real Sociedad seriously you are gonna get embarrassed. If you rotate the entire team you are very likely gonna lose.

GreatDane

I'm already so spoiled from watching Martinez and Varane dominate our defense that I dread having to watch Maguire and Lindelöf again...
    I expect rotation, Casemiro and Iqbal please, they would make an exciting pair. Cas needs the minutes and apparently Iqbal have been doign very well in the reserves.

A-man

I would have full faith in the skill level of a new starting xi, but if none of the 11 players is up to match speed I think we’ll get fecked by a good team like Real Sociedad.

We are in the luxury position that only one in the starting xi is injured and hardly any of the backups. Luxury, but also makes rotation difficult. I would change the whole backline if possible as we don’t want rusty FBs or CBs for the day when we get injuries in those positions. Other positions are easier to rotate with subs. Casemiro for and Fred for start, and if ok fitness wise I would start Bruno and sub him early.
    Then Antony, Ronaldo and Elanga. If all these players are available I think this xi would be pretty competitive although a bit rusty:

DDG
    AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw
    Casemiro Fred
    Antony Bruno Elanga
    Ronaldo

Pronewbie

Peep
    If we can’t trust our 2nd team then why have a big squad. They need to stay match-fit and challenge for a spot in the 1st team. It’s a long, arduous season ahead. Let’s see what ETH does. I reckon only Antony and DDG from the team that started against Arsenal starts. I do quietly hope that Dubravka and the back 4 show that they are good enough to start together.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
    Ajax Amsterdam
    There's absolutely no chance ETH is going to change the entire 11 against a very decent Spanish team.

It will be 3-4 changes at most. Casemiro and Ronaldo to start for sure.
    I think so too, but this is what I would do.. Then you can start Palace again fresh as the (expected) line up has had plenty of rest. There is a lot of matched coming up in a very short time, so resting is already very important I think. I would rather focus fully on the PL and make sure the team you have there is ready/fresh/consisent..

Moreover I think its important to keep everyone involved.. Give everyone the chance to show themselves and the feeling that they are getting chances to show themselves..

Plus.. ""Dubravak; AWS Lindelof Maguire Shaw; Casemiro Donny Fred; Elanga Ronaldo Garnacho" is still a very decent team which should be able to get a result against Sociedad..

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
    If you guys don't take Real Sociedad seriously you are gonna get embarrassed. If you rotate the entire team you are very likely gonna lose.
    It's not the end of the world if we do, more important to keep the side fresh for Palace I feel.

I'm not saying play the kids, but experienced internationals that just haven't got minutes yet. A central core to the team of....

Dubravka
    Lindelof - Maguire
    Casemiro - Fred
    Donny
    Ronaldo

Every player has got a lot of international caps and the drop in quality isn't as drastic as it would have been rotating that many last year. Then you've got Elanga and Antony on the flanks who shouldn't be in need of a rest and it is only the full backs we're the quality could sharply drop

Highfather_24

A mix of first and second team.

--------Dubravska
    AWB--Vic--Maguire--Shaw
    -----Casemiro--Fred
    Antony--Bruno---Elanga
    ------------Ronaldo

VdB, Garnacho and Iqbal off the bench.

BigDycheEnergy

Difficult decisions... It's the toughest opponent of the group and we are playing at home so we can't be too careful. But we should probably rest some players.

I'd normally want us to rest Varane because of his injury record, but Martinez seemed to get a knock near the end of last game. But if we rest both then we are in serious trouble.

I'd probably give Eriksen a rest. He's too important to our midfield now.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
    Maguire will come back in and the defence will look very shaky again. Price I'm willing to pay for Ten Hag to know he can't trust him.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
    Difficult decisions... It's the toughest opponent of the group and we are playing at home so we can't be too careful. But we should probably rest some players.

I'd normally want us to rest Varane because of his injury record, but Martinez seemed to get a knock near the end of last game. But if we rest both then we are in serious trouble.

I'd probably give Eriksen a rest. He's too important to our midfield now.
    Difficult decisions as you say. I know its risky, but I'd be tempted to rest Varane, Erikson and Martinez if he's not fully fit. We can recover against an early set back in the EL but the league is going to be a tough slog.

Bondi77

Also what’s Lindelofs status. The guy is a start for most teams across Europe bar the elite so he won’t accept no game time. Could we possibly see Maguire-Lindelof for the Europa, Martinez and Varane playing the league.
    Most teams across Europe????
    He would be lucky to start for more than 25% of the teams in the Premier League!

SirAF

Ageist
    La Real is a strong side: I think we will have a few changes only. Remember, we can sub five players.
    Agreed. It’s important to rest players/give minutes to others, but wholesale changes often lead to a disjointed performance.

kthanksbye

Surely the fullbacks and Varane will be rested, could even change all the back 4. Shaw, AwB, Maguire and Lindelof can play.

Scott and Eriksen have also played 4 games on the bounce.
    It's time Casemiro and Fred start, VdB is another one who I'm expecting to improve under EtH, excited to see him in the lineup.

Ronaldo should be up to speed to start this one. Antony was subbed early, he should also start, and maybe Elanga as Rash and Sancho need to be available for the league games.

Would be interesting to see if the other players have improved under the new coaching.

Dannn411

Would like to see Garnacho and Iqbal given a shot. Not holding my breath though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    Dubravka

Awb
    Lindelof
    Maguire
    Shaw

Fred
    Casemiro
    VDB

Elanga
    Ronaldo / Rashford
    Garnacho

GregM40

Wouldn't be surprised if there isn't as much rotation as people think, I reckon Ten Hag wants them to learn his system and get to proper match fitness. This is also probably the toughest team we've got in Europa League.

Dubravka
    Dalot Varane Martinez Malacia
    Eriksen Casemiro
    Bruno
    Antony Rashford Sancho

I'd be happy to see some rested but they should be able to play twice a week anyway?

BehemothTerror

De Gea
    AWB, Lindelof, Martinez, Shaw
    Casemiro Iqbal
    Anthony Bruno Elanga
    Ronaldo

Pros -
    *Rest afew players ahead of Palace that might need it including Erikson and Rashford
    *Test run of Lindelof and Martinez partnership against decent opposition
    *Rewards Iqbal for impressive Pre season an gives a platform
    *Nice test for Ronaldo to prove some doubters wrong

red_de_pologne

De Gea
    AWB, Lindelof, Martinez, Shaw
    Casemiro Iqbal
    Anthony Bruno Elanga
    Ronaldo

Pros -
    *Rest afew players ahead of Palace that might need it including Erikson and Rashford
    *Test run of Lindelof and Martinez partnership against decent opposition
    *Rewards Iqbal for impressive Pre season an gives a platform
    *Nice test for Ronaldo to prove some doubters wrong
    *Not playing Maguire
    updated your Pros list

RedMilo

Would like to see Martial lead the line, but if he is not ready then Ronaldo. Don't make wholesale changes though, would go with :-

Dubravka
    Dalot Lindelof Maguire Malacia
    Casemiro McT
    Bruno
    Antony Ronaldo Sancho

Obviously Varane has played a lot of games, and Martinez/Rashford picked up knocks, coupled with Eriksen's age, makes these 4 the ideal ones to drop out. Not sure he will but give Dubravka a debut as well.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
    Dubravka
    Dalot Maguire Martinez Shaw
    Casemiro Fred
    Antony Bruno Rashford
    Ronaldo
    _____________________​

Hard lineup to predict, I expect something like the above, 6 changes from the team that started Sunday, but looks very strong. Gives minutes to Casemiro and Antony to ready them for the weekend, plus keeps the others ticking over.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Dubravka
    Dalot Maguire Martinez Shaw
    Casemiro Fred
    Antony Bruno Rashford
    Ronaldo
    _____________________​

Hard lineup to predict, I expect something like the above, 6 changes from the team that started Sunday, but looks very strong. Gives minutes to Casemiro and Antony to ready them for the weekend, plus keeps the others ticking over.
    This is probably reasonable, except I think Elanga will be in over Rashford. And possibly resting Bruno. But everything else I think is accurate based on what I’ve seen.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 216 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Sociedad win
  • Draw