Manuel Akanji

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

He ain't that bad from the below stats, which compare him to our others CBs. You'll be pleased to know he's better than Lindelof and Bailly in that regard.

Successful tackles per 90 minutes (success rate)
Raphael Varane – 1.8 (75%)
Manuel Akanji – 1.5 (93.8%)
Harry Maguire – 1 (66.7%)
Victor Lindelof – 0.9 (90%)

Successful aerial duels per 90 minutes (success rate)
Harry Maguire – 2.8 (68.3%)
Raphael Varane – 2.7 (69.2%)
Manuel Akanji – 2.3 (62.2%)
Victor Lindelof – 2.1 (58.3%)

Interceptions per 90 minutes
Manuel Akanji – 1.8
Victor Lindelof – 0.9
Raphael Varane – 0.7
Harry Maguire – 0.6

Fouls per 90 minutes
Manuel Akanji – 0.7
Harry Maguire – 0.7
Victor Lindelof – 0.7
Raphael Varane – 0.2

Clearances per 90 minutes
Victor Lindelof – 4.3
Raphael Varane – 3.9
Harry Maguire – 3.7
Manuel Akanji – 2

Passes per 90 minutes (accuracy)
Manuel Akanji – 75.9 (90.6%)
Harry Maguire – 58.9 (85.6%)
Raphael Varane – 58.3 (87.1%)
Victor Lindelof – 54.4 (86.6%)

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...d-transfer-stats-centre-backs-maguire-varane/
Where do they get their numbers from? Those aerial duels stats in particular seem wrong.

Maguire has a win rate of 74.9% according to fbref, Lindelof 69.5%, Varane 69.5% as well and Akanji 59.2%.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Only for registered users, hence why I am asking.
It doesn't say where they get the stats from, but the stats themselves are only useful if one knows how to make sense of them, if i'm to para phrase Ajax's head of data science, Vosse de Boode. And what I mean by that is knowing what you're watching and in what context. Dortmund have been setting up in a compact high block whilst attempting to implement high pressing capabilities. United on the other hand have set up to react to opponents in a more collective defensive approach for the last few years. And Lindelof is someone that doesn't even attempt to challenge for aerials in certain circumstances.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Given several of our lesser CBs are likely out the door in the summer, Varane & Lindelof have had their injury issues and there's little appetite to spend massive money in that position this summer, signing a lesser priced CB who can fit whatever way we want to play would make sense.

Whether this guy is who we should opt for I have no idea but it's not like this season has been notable for us rejoicing at our current CB options.

Gandalf

How credible are these reports?
Not very I would say. Transfer stories when the window is closed are often just journos connecting the dots to make a headline and we have a player in this case who is playing in the BL, is a fan of Man Utd and we have a German manager right now. Quite easy to cobble together something plausible except for the fact that the local media have been briefed that we are not buying anyone until a new full time manager is appointed and we have not even conducted interviews yet.

bucky

It doesn't say where they get the stats from. But the stats themselves are only useful if one knows how to make sense of them if im to para phrase Ajax's head of data science Vosse de Boode. And what I mean by that is knowing what you're watching and in what context. Dortmund have been setting up in a compact high block whilst attempting to implement high pressing capabilities. United on the other hand have set up to react to opponents in a more collective defensive approach for the last few years. And Lindelof is someone that doesn't even attempt to challenge for aerials in certain circumstances.
It's still important to know, where they are from. Otherwise I could write an article and pull numbers out of my arse to sell a certain narrative. I know what I am watching and the context. Akanji has always looked worse than Lindelof regarding aerial duels, when I've seen him, which is why I tend to think that statsbomb numbers on fbref are accurate.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's still important to know, where they are from. Otherwise I could write an article and pull numbers out of my arse to sell a certain narrative. I know what I am watching and the context. Akanji has always looked worse than Lindelof regarding aerial duels, when I've seen him, which is why I tend to think that statsbomb numbers on fbref are accurate.
Akanji to me has always looked better than Lindelof in the air, and he doesn't pick and choose which aerial challenge to contest, which the stats don't show up.

This is also not pulling anything from thin air either, because on this site, stats are misinterpreted consistently, where players who defend in collective approaches are compared to players who are deployed in proactive front foot approaches, where the players in the last line have to defend on the half way line.

Last edited:

bucky

Akanji to me has always looked better than Lindelof in the air, and he doesn't pick and choose which aerial challenge to contest, which the stats don't show up.

This is also not pulling anything from thin air either, because on this site stats are misinterpreted consistently, where players who defend in collective approaches are compared to players who are deployed in proactive front foot approaches, where the players in the last line have to defend on the half way line.
You were literally the one, who posted the success rate of their aerial duels without context. That stat merely says, how efficient they are at winning their aerial duels, style of play has no bearing on it. Not the amount of duels or what type of aerial duels they are trying to contest, just their success rate.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You were literally the one, who posted the success rate of their aerial duels without context. That stat merely says, how efficient they are at winning their aerial duels, style of play has no bearing on it. Not the amount of duels or what type of aerial duels they are trying to contest, just their success rate.
I only posted them for a laugh for GB, who isn't Lindelof's biggest fan. For me if Akanji came in and did the basics well, then his athletic and physical ability would be enough to partner Varane.

bucky

I only posted them for a laugh for GB, who isn't Lindelof's biggest fan. For me if Akanji came in and did the basics well, then his athletic and physical ability would be enough to partner Varane.
I did the same thing earlier in the thread. No matter what, I don't think one could claim that he's aerial dominant nor that it is a strength of his, even if he is better than Lindelof there. In general I have doubts how much he has improved since his first season, when Favre was in charge.

Guapa

Probably a nothing story,but we could do worse.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I did the same thing earlier in the thread. No matter what, I don't think one could claim that he's aerial dominant nor that it is a strength of his, even if he is better than Lindelof there. In general I have doubts how much he has improved since his first season, when Favre was in charge.
I agree mate. My first choice was Gvardiol as you know, but he's still young and would likely cost quite a bit considering our current issues, the timing was probably not right.

But I'm of the opinion that we need a CB of the profile of Akanji, who will at the very least give us the option of attempting to press high, unlike what we've seen with Maguire and Lindelof in the last few years who start retreating 15-20 yards upon the opposition breaking the first line of pressure. That then means we lose our compactness and our press becomes ineffective. Akanji would not be my first choice but the mistakes of the past dictate what happens in the present, it seems.

bucky

I agree mate. My first choice was Gvardiol as you know, but he's still young and would likely cost quite a bit considering our current issues, the timing was probably not right.

But I'm of the opinion that we need a CB of the profile of Akanji, who will at the very least give us the option of attempting to press high, unlike what we've seen with Maguire and Lindelof in the last few years who start retreating 15-20 yards upon the opposition breaking the first line of pressure. That then means we lose our compactness and our press becomes ineffective. Akanji would not be my first choice but the mistakes of the past dictate what happens in the present, it seems.
To be honest, I'd be surprised, if we were actually looking to bring in another starting CB during the summer, even if I agree with your intention there. You know I also think we need another CB with Bailly, Jones and Tuanzebe likely leaving and then only having Maguire, Varane and Lindelof left. We probably have other areas that we will focus on though and I'd be fine with that approach. Two central midfielders, an attacking midfielder or a winger and a striker probably will and should be the priority. If anything I think we will sign a younger CB with potential, rather than someone who would immediately challenge one of Maguire or Lindelof.

diarm

My mate who watches Dortmund every week says he:

a) is bloody quick
b) is pretty decent on the ball
c) has a mistake in him.

Caesar2290

I don’t know too much about this fella. What’s his style?
Like a young Rio. Quick, really good with the ball at his feet, yet prone to the occasional lapse in concentration. Also not very imposing in the air. Knowing how much you "like" Lindelof, then you're going to love him.

Caesar2290

Not a clear improvement on our CBs which are already questionable. Would be more of the same
Our current CBs are fine. It's our defensive organisation and team cohesion that is an issue atm.

Caesar2290

He ain't that bad from the below stats, which compare him to our others CBs. You'll be pleased to know he's better than Lindelof and Bailly in that regard.

Successful tackles per 90 minutes (success rate)
Raphael Varane – 1.8 (75%)
Manuel Akanji – 1.5 (93.8%)
Harry Maguire – 1 (66.7%)
Victor Lindelof – 0.9 (90%)

Successful aerial duels per 90 minutes (success rate)
Harry Maguire – 2.8 (68.3%)
Raphael Varane – 2.7 (69.2%)
Manuel Akanji – 2.3 (62.2%)
Victor Lindelof – 2.1 (58.3%)

Interceptions per 90 minutes
Manuel Akanji – 1.8
Victor Lindelof – 0.9
Raphael Varane – 0.7
Harry Maguire – 0.6

Fouls per 90 minutes
Manuel Akanji – 0.7
Harry Maguire – 0.7
Victor Lindelof – 0.7
Raphael Varane – 0.2

Clearances per 90 minutes
Victor Lindelof – 4.3
Raphael Varane – 3.9
Harry Maguire – 3.7
Manuel Akanji – 2

Passes per 90 minutes (accuracy)
Manuel Akanji – 75.9 (90.6%)
Harry Maguire – 58.9 (85.6%)
Raphael Varane – 58.3 (87.1%)
Victor Lindelof – 54.4 (86.6%)

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...d-transfer-stats-centre-backs-maguire-varane/
How do these stats translate to the PL though? He might be good somewhere in the CL, but considering the PL is faster and more physical than the BL I think they might go down a bit, at least initially.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How do these stats translate to the PL though? He might be good somewhere in the CL, but considering the PL is faster and more physical than the BL I think they might go down a bit, at least initially.
He's a quick and physical player that has been playing in high defensive lines in Germany. So he's experienced playing in a setup that expects him to defend a large space. There'll always be questions about a player joining United from elsewhere, whether that be from the EPL or elsewhere. Declan Rice playing under Moyes at West Ham, is another player that hasn't been tested defending in a setup that expects defensive players to defend large space, rather than in the collective defensive approach at West Ham. I think he'd be fine, but I've seen a few instances where he's struggled against players who have dribbled and passed him comfortably.

PoTMS

Why weren't in for Süle if we are shopping in the Bundesliga? He was available on a free and a massive United fan too.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If Bailly and Jones both leave, the age factor doesn't matter too much.
Why are they both leaving again? Bailly has a deal till 2024 with an option of a further year. Phil Jones has a deal till 2023 with an option of a further year.

Neither has ever complained about their game time and Jones even rejected a loan deal this January.

Teja

If Bailly and Jones both leave, the age factor doesn't matter too much.
Yeah I assume Bailly, Jones are leaving which leaves us with Maguire, Lindelof and Varane as our 3 senior CBs. Having 4 seems pretty standard these days.

Unfortunately for us I don't think we're looking to invest in the CB position this summer.

Need 2x starting CMs because Pogba's leaving, A forward and a RW.

Why are they both leaving again? Bailly has a deal till 2024 with an option of a further year. Phil Jones has a deal till 2023 with an option of a further year.

Neither has ever complained about their game time and Jones even rejected a loan deal this January.
Bailly did right? Reports of bust up with Ole over why he was playing Maguire instead of him etc.

Jones isn't exactly reliable even if he's leaving

manuchamp88

Well, I hope they are. Bailly is wasting his best years on the bench (from his perspective) and is too inconsistent for us to hold down a starting place. Jones gives his all, but is past his best.

DeeDee7

Seriously there should be one CB on our radar. James Tarkowski. The lad gives his absolute all, hes a manchester boy. Hes off-contract. Hes no-nonsense, hes a leader. He's prem proven. Great defender, decent on the ball. Great attitude. Can unseed Maguire in a ceremonial manner. No Ego.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is getting me worried.

I was scared when Rangnick came that he would turn us more towards the PL version of Red Bull Leipzig with players of their quality whilst City and Liverpool will continue to play/ have players like top versions of Bayern and Dortmund respectively.

United in sin

I was scared when Rangnick came that he would turn us more towards the PL version of Red Bull Leipzig with players of their quality whilst City and Liverpool will continue to play/ have players like top versions of Bayern and Dortmund respectively.
Liverpool signed players directly or indirectly from the Red bull clubs like Mane, Kieta, Konate and Takumi Minamino. They were in for Werner too and Upamecano as well. If anything their recruitment department had a good relationship with Rangknick while he was sporting director and this ongoing relationship helped them land some of these targets.

gajender

Overreacting much we haven't made a single singing under Rangnick so far and most of the links with Bundesliga players have been dodgy at best , I wouldn't worry much if at all and I highly doubt there is anything in this link either .

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Come on now. You haven't seen him to even make a comment , have you? He is only 23 ,huge potential and two footed and available for cheap. Ralph has identified our build up from left isn't good enough without a left footed defender and he is very fast to play in a high line. Jones and Bailly leaving will make this signing a no-brainer for 20m.

Remember we are also interested in Kilman. I'm glad that we are actually identifying this as a weak area. I don't think Maguire will survive any decent manager with a progressive game plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.