Marc Cucurella - World Class Hairdo

evil_geko

I can see the context, I pretty much explained it in the post you just qouted. I also pointed out why some people may be justified in not particularly caring about it.
They can not care all they want, but judging the transfer as failure before it even happened, based on one bad season where whole team was toxic and terrible while he had several great seasons before that is not justified, it is beyond stupid.

OverratedOpinion

They can not care all they want, but judging the transfer as failure before it even happened, based on one bad season where whole team was toxic and terrible while he had several great seasons before that is not justified, it is beyond stupid.
We are signing a player who most on here would have said has been one of the worst in his position in the league for the last year. Not being particularly happy about that is not stupid in the slightest.

cyberman

We are signing a player who most on here would have said has been one of the worst in his position in the league for the last year. Not being particularly happy about that is not stupid in the slightest.
Most on here wanted / still want to sell Rashford and (weirdly) Bruno

evil_geko

It is not stupid if people have goldfish memory, yes. But again, not surprising, Caftards do operate like that in general.

OverratedOpinion

It is not stupid if people have goldfish memory, yes. But again, not surprising, Caftards do operate like that in general.
Not just assuming that he is going to magically recover his form when he's been poor for a full year is again pretty logical.

Giggsy13

We don't have a working system in my opinion. We are most definitely winging it most of the time and most of our goals still come from Rashfords pace on the counter. Yes there is some attempt to build up sometimes but it's certainly not Brighton or Man City.

I think the key thing to understand here is that we are not Brighton. Playing good for a Brighton is different to playing good for Man Utd or Chelsea.
You sure about that?

evil_geko

Not just assuming that he is going to magically recover his form when he's been poor for a full year is again pretty logical.
That is the thing, you don't have to assume he will magically recover his form, but there is also nothing magical about it, it can happen, there are countless examples of it. On the other hand, people don't have to assume the worst possible income, you see? Nothing logical about being a negative Andy moaning through every fecking possible transfer target out there. It is called being a miserable git.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Just waiting for a picture of him having worked with EtH previously ;)
He apparently impressed him greatly during Getafe v Ajax, in which Ajax were eliminated by Spanish giants.

Giggsy13

It seems that you've completely ignored that Chelsea were a complete train wreck last season playing under 3 different managers. A lot of players in that squad had one bad year.

evil_geko

It seems that you've completely ignored that Chelsea were a complete train wreck last season playing under 3 different managers. A lot of players in that squad had one bad year.
Nah, it is all black and white you see, once player has one bad season, it is over, he might as well finish his career judging by Caf logic, never mind he was great for years before that. We don't do contexts here. :wenger:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They've been taken over by a well respected manager though, who's had time to assess him, and has decided that he doesn't want to keep him despite his first choice left back being injury prone.

Giggsy13

Nah, it is all black and white you see, once player has one bad season, it is over, he might as well finish his career judging by Caf logic, never mind he was great for years before that. We don't do contexts here. :wenger:
Cafe Logic: Sack ten Hag because there's no sign of a system; Mount and Hojlund are failures; Sell Rashford, Bruno and Casemiro to the Saudis; One bad season you're done etc etc. At least we can say there's some good comedy on here.

evil_geko

They've been taken over by a well respected manager though, who's had time to assess him, and has decided that he doesn't want to keep him despite his first choice left back being injury prone.
Which also doesn't need to mean anything, we are talking about Pochetino here. Much better managers have had bad player assessment before.

OverratedOpinion

That is the thing, you don't have to assume he will magically recover his form, but there is also nothing magical about it, it can happen, there are countless examples of it. On the other hand, people don't have to assume the worst possible income, you see? Nothing logical about being a negative Andy moaning through every fecking possible transfer target out there. It is called being a miserable git.
Moaning about every possible signing is silly. Moaning about signing a player who has been one of the worst in his position for the last year is logical.

Giggsy13

Over time many players who have been deemed surplus by well respected managers have thrived elsewhere. So why are some writing off Cucurella already?

nazanto

Once we got him, its the second player from the same club that come us. Has it ever happened before? Not counting Rafael&Fabio. Don't mind getting him althought I personally would prefer to see Alvaro got more chances. But I understand that ETH need some proper LB to cover for Shaw absence, though as many said his performance for Chelsea last season was trash. He might come good, or continue to be trash over here too.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Exactly, he’s a great player.
He's not at all a great player and even if he was there is little chance of him showing it in ten Hag's current ridiculous midfield set up.

Gandalf

Anyone watching Ajax and/or Barcelona knows that giving kids their share of opportunities is part of their respective clubs' structure and ethos. Sir Matt Busby would be rolling in his grave if he saw how adverse we as a club have become when we should give kids opportunities to make or break. If kids find a way to make it, they will stay at the club for a long time. But if they don't succeed, they will be sold after they had enough games under the belt.

Graham Potter was his coach at Brighton and then at Chelsea. I can't say it's a matter of coaching when he had the same guy with both clubs. Cucurella hit a wall somewhere at Chelsea and became a laughing stock within their fanbase, just like Maguire for us since 2 seasons ago.

It does not help that we already have another meme of an ex-Chelsea player and that we don't know if he will ever be worth the money.
The two bolded quotes. Potter might have been his manager at Brighton but that was the only piece of continuity, he had different team mates and Potter utilized a different system at Chelsea to reflect the players he had available. Potter being in the dugout was no guarantee that he would instantly find the same form he had at Brighton and like it or not things turned bad quickly for Chelsea last season and he slumped with the rest of the team. I think the fact Potter was there for a chunk of the season is very much overstated, especially when you hear how little control he had over the squad or how little respect he was given by the players.

You don't name names but if you are referring to Mount as a meme then you need to give your head a wobble.

Smores

It comes down to the chance you put on him returning to his Brighton form. I'm going to assume you see it as very likely (80%+) but that's not the only valid view here, especially given it's a loan and he's not got much time to learn the system.

A full season is a long time to be shit and when it happens to be moving to a big club that's the trigger it's obviously cause for concern.

evil_geko

It comes down to the chance you put on him returning to his Brighton form. I'm going to assume you see it as very likely (80%+) but that's not the only valid view here, especially given it's a loan and he's not got much time to learn the system.

A full season is a long time to be shit and when it happens to be moving to a big club that's the trigger it's obviously cause for concern.
Nah, I see it more as 50% chance, of course I have doubts, anyone would, but there is difference between having doubts but hoping for the best and just giving up on the player in advance. I am just tired of moaners.

Also, this is a loan, it is as risk free as it can be, worth a shot.

Pronewbie

Peep
Not a fan, but we desperately need a LB who can play the ball out from the back. This is just based off our 1st 2 games of the season, but it's clear that Shaw had a very important role that Ten Hag obviously doesn't trust Doze-alot or even Malacia to do.

Cucurella fits this profile to a T.

Grande

What even is ETH's system that he'd supposedly be brilliant in?
Same question. ETH must be the finest con man of this era.
If you can’t see Ten Hag’s system, maybe yous should watch some match analysis vids? There are many out there, easy to google, and it will help you along to understand more of the games.

Basic points:
- Defensive 4-4-1-1, attacking 3-1-6/3-2-5
- Defensive: Emphasis on high pressure with fast transition to attack
- Defensive plan B: 4-5-1 with out balls to striker and wingers for transition
- Attacking: Continuous off-the-ball movement to open spaces
- Full backs high up (or inverted play making FB with 8/10s pushing up) to create overloads and passing options
- positional play with positional rotation between players
- switch between maximal and minimal width to both stretch opponents and preserve shourt routes to goal
- more direct attacking style with 1-v1 on wings or balls behind back four

These are some markers of Ten Hag’s systems. We are on our way with most of them, some of them still requires more time and different personnel.

Conor

Moaning about every possible signing is silly. Moaning about signing a player who has been one of the worst in his position for the last year is logical.
You keep saying signing, like we've spent 30m on him, he's an emergency loan that is going to cost 3m quid, who gives a flying feck?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Once we got him, its the second player from the same club that come us. Has it ever happened before? Not counting Rafael&Fabio. Don't mind getting him althought I personally would prefer to see Alvaro got more chances. But I understand that ETH need some proper LB to cover for Shaw absence, though as many said his performance for Chelsea last season was trash. He might come good, or continue to be trash over here too.
Last season Antony and Martinez both came from Ajax. Need to go a long way back to find another example.

Glorio

If you can’t see Ten Hag’s system, maybe yous should watch some match analysis vids? There are many out there, easy to google, and it will help you along to understand more of the games.

Basic points:
- Full backs high up (or inverted play making FB with 8/10s pushing up) to create overloads and passing options
- switch between maximal and minimal width to both stretch opponents and preserve shourt routes to goal

These are some markers of Ten Hag’s systems. We are on our way with most of them, some of them still requires more time and different personnel.
You my friend have a lot of patience. It's pretty obvious EtH has a defined system he's been trying to implement this season. Denying that is simply looking for another reason to moan.

In fact, isn't everyone's gripe the fact that the system isn't working at this point in time? They're not wrong by the way, it's far from seamless just now, it's a new system the players are obviously getting used to, whether it works out in future or not though, time will tell.

But there's a definite system, as there was one last season, and there are definitely patterns of play we're trying to implement.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
£3M is actually a good deal for United. For Chelsea, I guess the hope is he plays well this season and we can then sell him for a reasonable fee next summer.

OverratedOpinion

You keep saying signing, like we've spent 30m on him, he's an emergency loan that is going to cost 3m quid, who gives a flying feck?
Calling a signing a signing makes literally no reference to the fee.

I would imagine those who think he's rubbish give a flying feck about the idea that he will be playing for us.

Giggsy13

Basic points:

Hold up, is that some real meaningful analysis instead of the nonsense and ridiculous conjecture I’m reading from others!? Get ready for the shift in argument to “why hasn’t it been working already!?”

spiriticon

You sure about that?
What do we play like?

Are we like a Pep team? No.
Are we like a Klopp team? No.
Are we like an Ancelotti team? No.
Are we like a Mourinho team? No.
Are we like a Van Gaal team? No.
Are we like ETH's Ajax? No.

The only thing I can say is we're a bit of everything and master of none.

Anyway this is the wrong thread to discuss the team.

Giggsy13

What do we play like?

Are we like a Pep team? No.
Are we like a Klopp team? No.
Are we like an Ancelotti team? No.
Are we like a Mourinho team? No.
Are we like a Van Gaal team? No.
Are we like ETH's Ajax? No.

The only thing I can say is we're a bit of everything and master of none.

Anyway this is the wrong thread to discuss the team.
Go and read @Grande short analysis, its bang on. Cucurella would be a great fit in ten Hag’s system.

spiriticon

Go and read @Grande short analysis, its bang on. Cucurella would be a great fit in ten Hag’s system.
Grandes analysis reads like a Klopp team. It's fine to want to be like a Klopp team, but it's not what we actually are at this current reality. The current reality is that we need players who can play in this high pressing system, it's true, but if it collapses ( which happens more often than not) then we need these players who are strong enough to play well despite the collapse. I don't see the latter quality in Cucurrella. That adaptability.

Cucurrella might be good for Liverpool. Maybe. Their system is set in stone and it works.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Ffs he's in the starting xi. Probably going to get injured and we have to keep him.

Grande

Hold up, is that some real meaningful analysis instead of the nonsense and ridiculous conjecture I’m reading from others!? Get ready for the shift in argument to “why hasn’t it been working already!?”
You my friend have a lot of patience. It's pretty obvious EtH has a defined system he's been trying to implement this season. Denying that is simply looking for another reason to moan.

In fact, isn't everyone's gripe the fact that the system isn't working at this point in time? They're not wrong by the way, it's far from seamless just now, it's a new system the players are obviously getting used to, whether it works out in future or not though, time will tell.

But there's a definite system, as there was one last season, and there are definitely patterns of play we're trying to implement.
Two measured replies in one day! I’ll try less of the arrogant one-liners from now on, I swear.

I agree with you both, there are certainly elements that doesn’t work yet. We’ve seen this with Solskjær as well, actually, his attempt at changing style of of play from one season to the next too fast came crashing down IMO due to a combo of him being too little expert on the new style, wrong personnel for the job and Ronaldo The Trojan Achilles.

Most of us remember Ten Hag last year going optimistically ahead in pre season, with us securing vital cogs like Casemiro, Eriksen and Martinez, only to adjust heavily upon seeing the extent of what he had to deal with during the league start. Judging by his Ajax days, I’d say he took a measured half step towards his preferred game last season. This year is a further half step. Glazers/FFP is a clear hindrance, as well as the fact that the Solskjær/Rangnik crash landing and the enormous media focus on our troubles makes most of our players unsellable for any real money. So I expect we need one more summer to have something Ten Hag would really see fit to execute his ideas regularily at the very highest level, if I’m guessing a bit.