5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Two excellently taken goals for Sabitzer tonight. However, in theory, we have other midfielders who can score those goals. The rest of the package was lacking. I like him but if you are trying to build a functioning midfield: Is he first choice for #6, #8 or #10? If not why buy him?
In theory he just replaces VDB except actually good. The problem is we don’t have any actual true 8’s that strictly play as such. Bruno is a 10, Sabitzer and Fred are the same types who need a more free role to really contribute (one more defensive and the other offensive), McT isn’t even a midfielder at all in the modern game, Eriksen has bags of quality but is yet another converted 10, and Case is our only 6.

It severely hampers us in games that we need composure and control. Throw Enzo for instance into that game and we stroll it and probably score more because we gain more control instead of playing frantic end to end stuff

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Called him an average player after the second goal and had mouthbreathers queuing up to quote me in the match thread afterwards.

Suspiciously quiet then when he turned in his usual wet fart anonymity for the remaining 60 minutes of the game.

It'll be a relief when schools are back open and the FIFA playing kids have homework to do rather than post their shitty memes and one liners here.

Good depth for 20 million... Give me fecking strength.
If anyone expects him to dictate tempo, shift momentum or dominate the midfield, they've got the wrong player.

E-mal

Dont care what anyone thinks, I dont want him. He seems slow to the ball and lacks any special skill. Yes he scored two goals but we need two new midfielders and none of them should be Sabitzer.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Rashford would be praised like a god when playing like a turd all game, but scored 2 goals.

Just different standard, it seems.

Idxomer

Rashford would be praised like a god when playing like a turd all game, but scored 2 goals.

Just different standard, it seems.
He was an attacking midfielder who made 10 passes the whole game and had 53% passing accuracy.

Rashford has had some critics for his all-around performances too and he has been scoring goals all season. This is likely a one-off from Sabitzer.

justboy68

He's a good attacking player and I like him, but he is more of a signing we might make at the end of the summer if we find we have the 20 million laying around and we've shipped a few out, rather than someone we should be prioritising.

Dan27

Two good finishes from him tonight, shame they weren’t the match winners. The runs he was making were excellent as well.
Just some regular bashing going on. People are pi**ed about todays game result. Understandable. Yes, his performance was not great in the second half. BUT: his performance was good in the first as well as during his last 2 appearances. He finally shows some confidence and consistency in his game and after 1 bad half (tell me, who played actually good?) he is again not worth the summer investment? (Even though he scored 2 goals in the first, kinda bizarre). Short-term memory does not seem to be the strength of.. never mind.
And yes, he is not that kind of a dominating player during the game, clearly has his strengths and weaknesses. Though he did show why he could be very valuable for Man Utd.

NZT-One

You did stick to your word and fair play. But I don't think anyone is saying he's a permanent starter.

Rather than going on the offensive, how about saying:

A) would you be happy to stick with McT and Fred as the rotation options. If not then

B) any players of an equivalent value to Sabitzer you feel will work to bring in in the summer?
None of Fred, McTom or Sabitzer are seemingly like for like alternatives for the 1st choice midfield in terms of skillsets. That is the main issue - Sabitzer took his goals today really well, but I feel he isn't offering anything in terms of ball progression (Eriksen role) nor defensively (Casemiro role). He might be a replacement for Bruno but would be far behind in terms of creation.

I agree with the doubters on this - Sabitzer should be evaluated by looking at what the roles ETH has in mind for him require. Goals are nice, no question about that.

Real Name

Two excellently taken goals for Sabitzer tonight. However, in theory, we have other midfielders who can score those goals. The rest of the package was lacking. I like him but if you are trying to build a functioning midfield: Is he first choice for #6, #8 or #10? If not why buy him?
In theory.

NZT-One

In theory.
I think, you are overstating goals in this matter. Again, goals are the most important currency in football but best case scenario is that you have players way better than Sabitzer in attack while the midfield is doing their jobs to feed those attackers. Chipping in is obviously a bonus, but a bonus without the base requirement is a problem. If we can manage to swap him to Bayern for Donny in exchange, I will be a happy duck - but chucking out 20million just to add the third not-like-for-like alternative to our 1st choice midfield doesn't seem to be the most sensible thing to do.

AndyMUFC

Two great finishes tonight. I'd buy him personally as a squad player, think he's got a role to play for us.

croadyman

He's a good attacking player and I like him, but he is more of a signing we might make at the end of the summer if we find we have the 20 million laying around and we've shipped a few out, rather than someone we should be prioritising.
Yeah I would totally agree with that

TR1LL

From what I saw, particularly in the early periods before all the changes, he was good.

I will be surprised if his transfer is not made permanent. Him being able to play as the advanced cm/ss (and to see results/goals) is what will swing it. I feel like he is more what Erik wants in a attacking midfielder. Similar to Donny at Ajax. Bruno is/can be a goal threat but may be better off a little deeper whilst also reducing load on Erikson for the other midfield position.

I hope we still go out for another midfielder but more to compete/deputise with Cas. I do not think signing this guy blocks that.

Ship off Scott & If the price is truly ~£20m then it will be done. Squabbling over peanuts when we can get a decent squad player in return.

Drizzle

Why is everyone talking about two great finishes? The first was a lucky deflection. The second was good.

Overall he yet again played OK, the goals are promising because players that advanced need to be able to produce. A bit untidy at times. I'm just not seeing anything other than a busy competent player, not worth spending any more than £15m on.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Was reliably informed he was a proper CM with attacking tendencies, but it's apparent he does his best work even further up the pitch.

Paints a different light, but still brings into question what problems he fixes as CM itself is no better/worse for his presence.

Nothing against the player, but held up to scrutiny of what we need vis-a-vis what he is and provides, we're no closer to resolving our issues be he here or gone.

Ekeke

Lovely goals, did little else. I'm still wary of actually spending money on him in the summer.
Seen a few people say things like this. He was playing in the link role behind the striker.

Do you think Bruno Fernandes is worth no money when all he does is score 2 goals? Most often he does less

LInkash

Seen a few people say things like this. He was playing in the link role behind the striker.

Do you think Bruno Fernandes is worth no money when all he does is score 2 goals? Most often he does less
Yeah, but McTominay got two goals against Spain and Spain>Sevilla so ...

Blackwidow

Was reliably informed he was a proper CM with attacking tendencies, but it's apparent he does his best work even further up the pitch.

Paints a different light, but still brings into question what problems he fixes as CM itself is no better/worse for his presence.

Nothing against the player, but held up to scrutiny of what we need vis-a-vis what he is and provides, we're no closer to resolving our issues be he here or gone.
He actually is a very versatile player who can play in different roles on the pitch - and did in the past. Maybe not 1st choice on any but on a high level throughout. Do not forget that he did not have a preseason with this team and got thrown in in the middle of it. In this schedule with matches every 3 days there nearly are no real trainings units for the basic structures but regenerations and preparations for specific matches.

Like this he for sure it is easier right now to be implemented further up the pitch as it is more difficult to be integrated deeper on the fast. I often have seen with midfielders that they needed atleast half a year or more to really show their value.

Siorac

I'm not a huge fan of how Bruno plays the number 10 role, either, but he's better than Sabitzer.

I'd take him on a free as a backup, sure, but spending money on him strikes me as unwise in our current financial situation.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was an attacking midfielder who made 10 passes the whole game and had 53% passing accuracy.
That’s the biggest problem we have with Sabitzer - he’s a decent attacking threat in the final third but in terms of the midfield duties we need from a player, he doesn’t add anything there.

plex

Think he's a good squad player you can throw into the game when needed. Does also a decent job as a starter. The question is, is he really needed, which depends on the squad-planning for the next season.

L1nk

I think everyone can see he's a good player, not absolute top drawer quality but I would argue he's a quality squad player. So i'm not sure why anyone is arguing about signing him for between 10-20mill when the evidence is all around us that the squad is so bereft of quality once you get past the majority of the first team. The majority of our bench is trash, having him on it and put into some games would improve our squad massively, especially if you consider we sell VDB and likely McTominay in the summer for more than we'd pay for Sabitzer...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He actually is a very versatile player who can play in different roles on the pitch - and did in the past. Maybe not 1st choice on any but on a high level throughout. Do not forget that he did not have a preseason with this team and got thrown in in the middle of it. In this schedule with matches every 3 days there nearly are no real trainings units for the basic structures but regenerations and preparations for specific matches.

Like this he for sure it is easier right now to be implemented further up the pitch as it is more difficult to be integrated deeper on the fast. I often have seen with midfielders that they needed atleast half a year or more to really show their value.
It's a conundrum for us (or at least the fans) as time for him to show his wares in our position of need is of the essence.

We need a massive overhaul in midfield and he has to justify being part of that.

If he's just one of a surfeit who can play that AM role, his worth is a lot less to us than if he can play CM and do it well enough to improve us. Not seen much of the latter, which is a logical concern given it's what most of us assumed he was coming in as.

Last edited:

Shinjch

But still not good enough so I hope we don't buy him. We have too many average midfielders as it is without adding one more.
Fair enough, I just think from a last second loan to help cover a position we needed a body in he has done well enough. I would definitely prefer him in the squad over Van De Beek, McTominay and the like if the price is right.

Redlyn

Fair enough, I just think from a last second loan to help cover a position we needed a body in he has done well enough. I would definitely prefer him in the squad over Van De Beek, McTominay and the like if the price is right.
But I don't get that. What does preference over bad players have to do with it. We should outright bring in much better players to replace them. Sabitzer must not necessarily be one of them. We have a whole open market to pick from and people are hung up on this guy.

Shinjch

But I don't get that. What does preference over bad players have to do with it. We should outright bring in much better players to replace them. Sabitzer must not necessarily be one of them. We have a whole open market to pick from and people are hung up on this guy.
I think you are taking the wrong idea on my stance from my posts, likely my fault. I am unbothered if we sign him permanently or not, I am just saying that I am more comfortable with him playing than either Van De Beek or McTominay. Which considering that he came in on a last second emergency loan says a lot more about those two than it does Sabitzer.

theballisround

He was making great runs and also helping defensively. If not for our team lacking the balls and ETH not making the idiotic changes, they would have been winning goals.

Also he made another great run after scoring the 2nd and if Martial would have seen him, it would have been an easy hat trick.

People comparing his performances with the ones where Rashford does nothing do not watch the games or are biased. Rashford can't be arsed to run when he's not having a great game, Sabitzer ran his socks off.

Considering we need cover for Casemiro/Eriksen, a right back, a GK and a striker, getting Sabitzer on a permanent deal is a very easy choice as he is a very versatile player who, let's not forget, is playing decent after only a few months here.

Last edited:

NZT-One

Why is everyone talking about two great finishes? The first was a lucky deflection. The second was good.

Overall he yet again played OK, the goals are promising because players that advanced need to be able to produce. A bit untidy at times. I'm just not seeing anything other than a busy competent player, not worth spending any more than £15m on.
Might have been a lucky deflection but his movement and especially his 1st touch was really good in the situation.

I think you are taking the wrong idea on my stance from my posts, likely my fault. I am unbothered if we sign him permanently or not, I am just saying that I am more comfortable with him playing than either Van De Beek or McTominay. Which considering that he came in on a last second emergency loan says a lot more about those two than it does Sabitzer.
Understandable standpoint and from what I understand shared by many. But I am sure, we can agree on one thing: the player being a better fit than two players (might even chuck in Fred as well) who are already well criticized for ages and being cheap doesn't seem to be the most sophisticated way of assembling a squad. We should go out not only looking for subs in terms of stepping in for 1st teamers but also in terms of being able to compete for a spot or/and to potentially replace 1st teamers due to age. Some are talking about a certain midfield overhaul because our subs are lacking, in two years time we will be forced to look for Casemiro and Eriksen replacement as well, we have to plan ahead, taking 20million for a sidestep doesn't look smart when looked from this perspective.

I wonder if we could swap him and Donny with Bayern. I think, that could be a good fit. Donny could take over the Müller role from... well Müller. And Sab could take over the 10ish sub role from Donny. As long as it doesn't involve any outlay I am happy to bring him in.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Selling him a bit too hard here, pal. We’re not in charge of the transfer dealings here.

A player doesn’t need 6 months or more to make more than 10 passes in a European quarter final match. He played the full 90.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The problem I have with Sabitzer kind of players is they make it difficult to progress the ball through midfield because they actually make runs into space up top. In our setup (Bruno also playing AM) it results in Casemiro playing one man midfield. I still maintain Erik wanted a different kind of player than Sabitzer actually is.

Great goals yesterday, but once Sevilla settled we looked really poor in midfield. I was a bit surprised by how offensive our setup was, I would imagine ETH would rather have more control but fair enough, at home without Rashford you have to take some risks. Until the last 20' it worked quite well, but for the second leg I think we should re-think the approach.

RuudTom83

Took his goals well…but like a few have mentioned, do United need another attacking forward player (maybe to replace Fred, McTom, Donny)

The second half was the bad side of United, no control by anyone in the midfield.

redcucumber

Holy cnut, apparently he's on £215,000 a week! Absolutely not worth that. Didn't someone say he made 10 passes last night? For a player linking the play between midfield and attack, at home, that is insane (if correct).

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Scott McTominay, with a fancier name. Runs only in straight lines, not much of a passer of the ball, looks at his best when he can attempt these penetrative dynamic runs from deeper positions.

When does his contract expire at Bayern? 2025, 2026? They can have him back, we've got our own squad issues to deal with.

It's not that he doesn't have his uses. He can be a good option in a certain context, but he's not the solution to anything. He doesn't help us solve any of our midfield issues and he doesn't maximize what we can get from the things we do well in the centre of the park, either.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
No choice but to play him. Good positioning during final pass. Sometimes it's exactly what win you games.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Holy cnut, apparently he's on £215,000 a week! Absolutely not worth that. Didn't someone say he made 10 passes last night? For a player linking the play between midfield and attack, at home, that is insane (if correct).
All our forward players struggled to link up with each other it seems.

Sabitzer = 10/19 completed passes, 53% accuracy
Martial = 12/15 completed passes, 80% accuracy
Antony = 14/21 completed passes, 67% accuracy
Sancho = 16/19 completed passes, 84% accuracy

53% is really not good though. But he did get us two goals, he's not a first team option, doesn't have the quality so paying him that much per week is pretty wild, that's more than Rashford is on currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.