5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lecland07

He seems to be one of those team players (Dortmund-esque) where they just suit a single system and are made to look better than they are.

He was worth a punt on loan, though, but I think any ideas of making it permanent should be thrown out. I'm not sure Ten Hag really fancies him, anyway.

OrcaFat

There's a reason for that. I think Hag, and crew, know he isn't all that up close.
I don’t think that’s the reason. He’s had knocks and is settling in. ETH could have played McFred yesterday if he felt like it or could have subbed Sab off instead of some of the other changes he made.

What you mean is that you, personally, think he isn’t all that. You might be right but I think he will get games and will play somewhat better than he has so far. That remains to be seen.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He needs a run next to Casemiro to show what he's really about, but unfortunate for him (good for us), Eriksen will return and prevent that from happening. Just doesn't seemed destined to work out for him here.
The thing is, sitting next to Casemiro does little in the long term, honestly. Sabitzer will almost certainly play a little bit better next to better players, but his fundamental skillset will be exactly the same.

He's not a central midfielder who can effortlessly retain the ball under pressure; not a mobile ball carrier who pushes forward centrally; he's not a pass retention magnet who keeps things ticking on a 'you-touch I-touch' movement; nor is he a defensive monster with really high interception and tackle rates.

He's just a pretty average jack of all trades with a bit of a venomous shot.

OrcaFat

The thing is, sitting next to Casemiro does little in the long term, honestly. Sabitzer will almost certainly play a little bit better next to better players, but his fundamental skillset will be exactly the same.

He's not a central midfielder who can effortlessly retain the ball under pressure; not a mobile ball carrier who pushes forward centrally; he's not a pass retention magnet who keeps things ticking on a 'you-touch I-touch' movement; nor is he a defensive monster with really high interception and tackle rates.

He's just a pretty average jack of all trades with a bit of a venomous shot.
I agree that’s what he looks like. But a Jack of all trades at no8 is a useful option and with a proper no6 he will play better than we’ve seen do far. He’s not an Eriksen and he’s not, say, an Essien but in my opinion he has the tools to be a better squad option than McT and better than Fred in a 4231. We still need an elite play-making no8 but, at the right price I suspect Sab could make sense (only if we can shift McT though).

Bobski

His technique is fine, quite good really, when in and around the opposing box he has sharp and clever touches, and makes good runs. Like Donny but more willing to play an aggressive pass and has an excellent shot. However despite having decent aggression and willingness to use his body he is also showing that the physicality of the PL is too much for him. He is poor defensively as well. Comes out to another player who can't really play in a midfield 2 but also doesn't quite have the extra quality to excel as a 10 for a top club.

So, needs a more standard 3 man midfield were he can share creative and playmaking responsibilities and you probably can't fit Bruno in if you want to retain a balance.

If Ten Hag really wants that type of player then waiting on Donny, a player he knows very well, might be a better option.

Bobski

Much better as the most advanced, some very good moments and won more balls in the air in that game than Wout has in his Utd career. Ran out of legs a bit as the game became more stretched with Brentford pushing forward.

The better version of Donny comparison looked even clearer tonight.

BerryBerryShrew

I thought he was the best player on the pitch in the first half. Positionally he looked all at sea against Newcastle but he was always exactly where he needed to be tonight.

Great run to assist Rashy's goal as well.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Definitely looks so much more comfortable as the third CM/no.10. Not really a central midfielder in a 2. Especially in the PL

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Did very well. He's always been best as an attacking box to box. That's where he broke out and made his name at Leipzig too.

Impressed with him aerially! Use him for the weghorst role if anything

Red Star One

He's not here long time but I think his last game was the worst in United shirt and today was the best he put for us. Talk about improvement.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Did well tonight. Especially for the assist as it was a very well timed run and good header considering the amount of Brentford defenders around him. Faded second half.

Abraxas

I thought that header was very clever. That wasn't easy, it required good precision. He did some good things breaking through the midfield today. Everything about him screams more of a number 8, just to add to our collection of them.

Rustyspider13

His best performance for us. Great pressing, won a lot of aerial flicks that went to teammates, good runs into the box for counters and if he took the shot instead of Fred, we'd have another goal. He should've played the 90 I think.

Olecurls99

His best performance for us. Great pressing, won a lot of aerial flicks that went to teammates, good runs into the box for counters and if he took the shot instead of Fred, we'd have another goal. He should've played the 90 I think.
So true

ti vu

First half very good. He played more in no 10 role than a midfielder. Being an aerial presence for the long ball, and proper link up with other attacking players.

Second half before getting subbed off however, it's like most of his appearance for us: the effort is there, some tidy tough, but not great. Neither did he break up play, or help carry the ball when Brentford was able to stretch the pitch and space appeared in midfield.

Idxomer

He's a better version of Donny as many said but I'm not sure that's who we need.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He's a better version of Donny as many said but I'm not sure that's who we need.
Nah he's got way more to his game than Donny and can actually play as an 8.

He's the offensive version of Fred. Both are at their best "unleashed" and covering ground/making runs etc. He's just the one with the attacking skills while Fred is better at the defensive parts of the game. But in order for either to really thrive you need a class DM like Casemiro to cover for their lack of positional discipline

Ekeke

Was great setup intelligence for Rashford's goal. Saw that nobody was in the 9 position in front of Rashford, timed the run correctly and had the awareness to nod it down for a relatively simple finish for Rashford. Also had some good moments linking up in attack. More signs of things to come but an overall good performance

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
One thing I noticed whenever he's on or around the ball is his dynamism, energy and just desire to move things.

It reminds of when Bruno first came in and it was such a stark contrast to our lackadaisical midfield with Pogba.

He needs to start next game and I believe he will because it's another case of the opposition having big, strong physical players there.

ClassOf'99

A lot of comparisons with our missing/not selected players but I think we are failing to understand the player rather than shoehorning a position.

Although he can tackle and read danger he isn't a 6, although he can pass and shoot he isn't an 8 that we are accustomed to with Fred, I would see him more as cover for Bruno than anywhere else.

He has a good eye for goal, makes good runs in the final third and I do believe he used to be a Striker/winger so I don't understand the criticism when we aren't playing him in his best position aka the Weghorst position, I would love to see a trial run of

Casemiro - Fred/Eriksen
Antony - Sabitzer - Sancho
Rashford

And then we know we can bring on Bruno if it doesn't work
Imagine that :rolleyes:

If you had of told me he would be the 10 in a Bruno, McT & Sabi midfield I'd of never believed it but it worked so well for us in that first half.

Winning headers, shots on target, the flick to Rash for the goal and his attacking awareness were all evident in the position he played tonight as being the most natural to him.

Sell Donny, buy Sabi

croadyman

Will admit I keep flip flopping,need to tell myself let's see how he fares when playing with the other two due to return from injury and suspension

Mainoldo

Good game today. He can still go back to Bayern though. We need far better than what he brings. He’s baby Bruno.

Status
Not open for further replies.