5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

While he's not having shite game, he didn't really have stand out 90 minute performance. It's just patches in a game, or moments of contribution to the result here and there. Then it's mostly indifferent influence to the flow of the game. I still think we need to be careful about buying him. Assessing his performance at the end of the season before the final decision.

Last edited:

el3mel

There's nothing about him that stands out at all. I honestly barely even notice he's playing. Bang average player.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm entertaining the thought of having Sabitzer as striker. He's strong, reasonably mobile and fast, can head the ball, and has a pretty nice strike. Many times in the game he's further up field occupying striker position, with Martial strangely dropping deep.

Anyone has similar thought??

Malone_Post

I’m still not sure what he’s particularly good at. I mean he’s not bad? But he’s also not that good. He’s just kind of there? Shows bits of quality in moments but never puts it together for a whole performance.

It’s not really difficult to see why Bayern were so willing to let him go during the middle of the season with no replacement needed.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

It is a bit of a shame as I was excited to finally see an Austrian player at United. However, except the 2 goals last week there are not many arguments to keep him I am afraid.

Dan27

if the team losses he is an average player who is not visible at all, if the team plays strong he contributes substantially and is worth a potential investment..

Well, it is true that he is not a player who can turn around games if the team is on low average performance level... but still fans tend to forget about his recent good games so the formula seems to be clearly:
4 good games = keep the player, buy him for 20mil eesh
4 good games + 1 bad game = do not buy him

united for life

There's nothing about him that stands out at all. I honestly barely even notice he's playing. Bang average player.
he is no upgrade to what we have for sure. Would rather go for a more solid option in midfield. Why sign him? He’s not better than Fred

jackal&hyde

Why did you think Bayern let him go in mid season? Just like WW there were and still are many "modern" journos that rate him a lot because he does the bare minimum of tactical discipline and running.

Clearly not good enough, in the same boat as McFred for me.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
if the team losses he is an average player who is not visible at all, if the team plays strong he contributes substantially and is worth a potential investment..

Well, it is true that he is not a player who can turn around games if the team is on low average performance level... but still fans tend to forget about his recent good games so the formula seems to be clearly:
4 good games = keep the player, buy him for 20mil eesh
4 good games + 1 bad game = do not buy him
He's had two good games, and even they weren't 'that' good. The rest of the time he's been either average or downright poor and invisible.

pablo__p

I really want him to succeed here but kinda like with Donny I struggle to see what he excells at and what his best position actually is.

Ekeke

Like the rest of the team bar maybe Antony in the first 45 minutes, he wasnt good. He wasnt involved enough and not enough of a goal threat. But

Just keep in mind that its his 2 runs and well taken goals in the previous game that had us even in the game to begin with. Without his runs through the middle to become the furthest man and good finishes we would have scored 0 goals in either leg.

Over the two legs he's one of the only players who comes out with some credit

Bobski

He doesn't strengthen the first team enough, if at all, to be a worthwhile signing and would be on far too big a wage for a squad option who could very easily be out of favour in a couple of months. May as well just give Donny another chance if Ten Hag wants this type of player.

Ineffective deep and you are always going want to replace a Sabitzer type no 10/attacking midfielder with a more talented option.

Brighton 0:0 Man Utd

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Like the rest of the team bar maybe Antony in the first 45 minutes, he wasnt good. He wasnt involved enough and not enough of a goal threat. But

Just keep in mind that its his 2 runs and well taken goals in the previous game that had us even in the game to begin with. Without his runs through the middle to become the furthest man and good finishes we would have scored 0 goals in either leg.

Over the two legs he's one of the only players who comes out with some credit
That is true, on the other hand he was also part of midfield that got totally overrun at Sevilla as he's basically playing like another forward.
11 passes completed (same as Rashford in 45mins). 25 yards progressive passing distance, compared to 389 for Eriksen and 358 for Casemiro. 1 clearance and 1 tackle. Only Martial had less touches than Sabitzer.

He's basically playing as second striker and I think it's very difficult to justify having that player in a team like current United.

Hackman2210

To me he's average - if we want midfield upgrades he is not the answer tbh. We can have Scott McT for free or Sabitzer for 20m plus £200k per week wages. No brainer let him go back to Bayern, thanks Marcel its been a blast.

Ekeke

That is true, on the other hand he was also part of midfield that got totally overrun at Sevilla as he's basically playing like another forward.
11 passes completed (same as Rashford in 45mins). 25 yards progressive passing distance, compared to 389 for Eriksen and 358 for Casemiro. 1 clearance and 1 tackle. Only Martial had less touches than Sabitzer.

He's basically playing as second striker and I think it's very difficult to justify having that player in a team like current United.
Yes. Only Martial comes so deep to get on the ball that the player spends just as much time as our main striker. So then you have to start judging them like a striker.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s very good at winning headers and sniffing out chances in front of goal. He’d be good lower down the table to play as a second striker to a holdup forward

flappyjay

He scored 2 against Sevilla at home and obviously that made him immune to criticism but I get concerned when the only highlight of a midfielder in a match is scoring goals. It means he does not get involved in his primary job and it felt like we were a man down in the middle.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yes. Only Martial comes so deep to get on the ball that the player spends just as much time as our main striker. So then you have to start judging them like a striker.
Indeed, therefore he should not be used in sentence like "backup midfielder" because he really isn't one. And from that point the question is if United need such forward. Personally I don't like that kind of players in team which is not balanced well and I'm rather indifferent on whether we should sign Sabitzer.

Ekeke

Indeed, therefore he should not be used in sentence like "backup midfielder" because he really isn't one. And from that point the question is if United need such forward. Personally I don't like that kind of players in team which is not balanced well and I'm rather indifferent on whether we should sign Sabitzer.
It depends where he's played. When he first came in we were using him instead of Fred and Eriksen. So he was absolutely playing in our 2x DM midfield. However since Eriksen has returned he's being used as an alternative to Bruno as a 10. Thats where his goals came from against Sevilla, and where he played in the 2nd leg hoping to recreate it. In that situation is where you have to adjust for the fact that he's making runs as our furthest forward player in the space Martial has dropped from to get the ball, so of course he's going to have less of the ball with the hopes that he can get on the end of a pass or chance and score a goal.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He scored 2 against Sevilla at home and obviously that made him immune to criticism but I get concerned when the only highlight of a midfielder in a match is scoring goals. It means he does not get involved in his primary job and it felt like we were a man down in the middle.
This. Honestly I believe Ten Hag thought he's getting Eriksen-esque midfielder and I was also let to believe this after comments on this page. This was evident as the first game Sabitzer played he was the deepest midfielder.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It depends where he's played. When he first came in we were using him instead of Fred and Eriksen. So he was absolutely playing in our 2x DM midfield. However since Eriksen has returned he's being used as an alternative to Bruno as a 10. Thats where his goals came from against Sevilla, and where he played in the 2nd leg hoping to recreate it. In that situation is where you have to adjust for the fact that he's making runs as our furthest forward player in the space Martial has dropped from to get the ball, so of course he's going to have less of the ball with the hopes that he can get on the end of a pass or chance and score a goal.
I don't think he was doing nearly enough as a midfielder in deeper areas, granted he might have not been match-fit. However, ETH also played Bruno deeper and Sabitzer up front in some games, so that's pretty safe to assume he doesn't want him in midfield.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Sabitzer has played in all three midfield positions for us now, and been average (at best) in every game he's played at #6, #8 and half the games he's played at #10. He had two fairly good games at #10, but otherwise he's shown nothing to warrant us signing him permanently IMO. Even when playing deeper he's basically like Scott in the sense that he gets on the ball far less than what somebody in that role should be doing.

Of course, the fact that he's played in all three positions does mean he hasn't actually played in any of them a great deal or been able to form any partnerships, so there is a possibility that he could get better with a bit more time. But in terms of what we've seen so far, he really doesn't bring anything worth signing him for.

RoyKeaneReborn

I mentioned this in the Becks thread too. That freekick in such a good position yesterday before the end of ET against Brighton. Sabitzer completely wasted and made a mess of the freekick/cross. All he had to do was to put it into the box for our players to attack it and hopefully get a late goal before end of ET. (We are Manchester United. It ought to be in our blood to take risks to score a late winner).

It's not that I m nitpicking, but sometimes these are the little things that differentiate between a good and a great player, especially under such high pressure in potentially season-defining games. We were lucky we were not punished by wasting such valuable set pieces (and to be fair to Wout, who hard-earned that freekick).

Credit to him though for the balls to take the penalty and to convert it.

Reactions: Carolina Red

acnumber9

Would need to score a lot of goals to justify the fact he does feck all else.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just doesn’t have enough for the level we want. I’ve never warmed to “does more off the ball” type of players and Sabitzer is no different. We can’t afford a no.10/third CM who makes sub 20 passes a game

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Just doesn’t have enough for the level we want. I’ve never warmed to “does more off the ball” type of players and Sabitzer is no different. We can’t afford a no.10/third CM who makes sub 20 passes a game
Seconded.

I don't like those kind of players. Unless they are truly world class and every one from 15 touches per game he makes is gold, it's not worth it imo.

Abraxas

Yeah, not very instrumental in anything today. He was just kind of out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.