Marcel Sabitzer - (Use the Player Performance thread to discuss his matchday performances)

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He’d of been training with Bayern though? Only training session he missed was obviously deadline day as he wanted to move. Weghorst came straight into the 11. I expect to see sabitzer play some part against palace.
Except Weghorst didn't, he wasn't in the squad for the first 2 games played after he joined

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Except Weghorst didn't, he wasn't in the squad for the first 2 games played after he joined
well he couldn't be in the squad vs. City because he wasn't registered in time... and then he did start the second game (though technically his first)

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
I worked in an insurance company and even if all have learned English as second language - and about all of them had the German Abitur (the permission to go to German university - we have a school system that divides into 3 sectors after elementary school) where they learned atleast 2 languages - whenever we got an English caller on the other side of the phone they did not try to answer but connected the caller to me. A lot can read English very well but are unsure when it is about talking, are afraid to speak and make mistakes. There is really a big difference between being immersed into the language and theoretically to just being able to understand it.

The northern European countries do not even translate English films into their own language but show them with undertitles. I think it is the same with the Netherlands. Austria speaks German - and with so many German speaking people about every film is translated.

I was unsure on which level Sabitzer is in his English. What I could find out is that he does not have a higher education but just went to the "necessary" schools before starting his career. But he for sure had some years of English in school, needed English before in international dressing rooms like the one in Leipzig and is travelling around a lot like most professionals. So English for sure is not a problem for him.
That is true, though you see more dubs recently than you used to when I was a kid. Then again, with netflix and youtube and stuff there’s more places to learn English than playing Pokémon (not translated to Dutch, like many games).

But still, even here there are people who suck at English. In smaller towns it’s not really necessary and in the east of the country you’re generally better off learning some German.

From the places I’ve been in Germany and Austria, the big city factor seems even more prominent in your chance of finding some people to speak to in English rather than German.

People I work with in France, mostly speak English (though troublesome) for teams meetings, and honestly in reverse it often isn’t of much higher quality than just getting by, for a lot of people.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I agree that Swedes and Danes and big city-Dutchies seem to be more the exception than the rule concerning their knowledge of the English language, simply because English isn’t that important if you’re not in an international job or surrounded by expats.

And thankfully ETH is from Twente so his German is probably better than his English is, so I assume Sabitzer gets time to settle in without having to rely on only hand gestures.

Chief123

The United corner curse even managed to claim Eriksen who was one of the best corner takers in the world so I'm not hopeful that Sabitzer can avoid it. :(
I believe Spurs fans were often very frustrated with Eriksen’s corners and his consistency in always hitting the first man at the near post. I’m not sure he was ever one of the best corner takers in the world.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He started the first game he could. Couldn’t start against city as we only signed him the day before and didn’t meet the registration deadline for it. He started against palace the game after.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
No point in rushing, Fred will do fine for a game or two. He has to get used to the training methods etc.
Yes, there is a point in 'rushing'. We play Barcelona and a cup final in two weeks back-to-back and we've seen how long Casemiro took to get up to speed.

We cannot afford to dally. We've also seen how far ahead EtH plans with the Luke Shaw at CB situation.

Alemar

simply because English isn’t that important if you’re not in an international job or surrounded by expats.
But to start with, one won’t land any international job without knowledge of English - so you need to learn the language beforehand :)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But to start with, one won’t land any international job without knowledge of English - so you need to learn the language beforehand :)
It depends on what one means by international. You can have an international job while speaking arabic or spanish fluently and not english.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yes, there is a point in 'rushing'. We play Barcelona and a cup final in two weeks back-to-back and we've seen how long Casemiro took to get up to speed.

We cannot afford to dally. We've also seen how far ahead EtH plans with the Luke Shaw at CB situation.
He's out for the first Barca leg. Has a suspension carried over from his CL games for Bayern for 3 yellows.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
statistically really close. Sabitzer likes a shot more. Eriksen is more creative but with a worse engine. It’s a really good bit of data driven recruitment. I think the capture of Wout is along the same lines too. I hope we go into the market this summer with a very clear and financially realistic picture of what the squad needs to go to the next level. I’m guessing a better/more reliable starting 9 than martial and a really good backup to Casemiro.

Loon

:lol:
I assume the absence of Eriksen and McTominay will see him in the side ASAP, regardless of first-team action at Bayern?

georgipep

I think you missed the point. I was talking about the importance of the language. If cantonese ever became in demand, I would probably have to learn it.

Well if you were proud of the fact then it would seem like celebrating ignorance..
You don't think Chinese is in demand?

dinostar77

Not as technical as eriksen, but still a good player. Antony should be a beneficary of tje crss field passes he likes to execute.

georgipep

Barely. In specific industries and specific positions in those industries it helps but for the average person not at all.
What is the average person? One who lives and needs to speak Chinese in their daily life? Chances are they'll need Chinese more than they'll need English.

Telsim

He's got his work cut out for him, that's for sure. I wonder Ten Hag will throw him right into the fray? We will need someone like him against a team like Palace.

bosskeano

sabitzer will probably make the match day squad but i highly doubt he sees the pitch until the two leeds back to back matches

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
A player flying a bit under the radar, could be a good piece of business..

Profile-wise I think he's actually a better fit then Eriksen and basically something between the Dane and Fred.. Great shot and short passing and while good acceleration and sharp in the tackle. Probably better suited to play in midfield then Eriksen..

BorisManUtd

Hopefully he does well over next 4 months, we really need that after Eriksen’s injury.

Lost bear

What is the average person? One who lives and needs to speak Chinese in their daily life? Chances are they'll need Chinese more than they'll need English.
I think it’s the English average person that is referenced there, tbh.

macheda14

This is derailing the thread but maybe think through your point a little bit more.