Marco Silva | No longer Everton manager

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yeah starting to think Silva is turning into a bit of a fraud, got relegated with Hull (but got rave reviews because he did ok in the short time he was there), lasted only a few months with Watford (because Everton wanted him), and now at Everton they're doing about as badly as they ever have in recent years. Slowly being found out it seems...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Those players are not playing like they believe in what he's trying to do. No energy about them.

RyRy11

Going to check the odds on him being sacked before next season

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
To think people were once talking about him as a future United manager...

the_irish123

NES is a good portuguese manager though (for the guy saying they are all frauds)

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
NES is a good portuguese manager though (for the guy saying they are all frauds)
If only Football Directors at EPL actually checked on people for Portugal before hiring managers...

Almost every portuguese here on Red Cafe warned about Silva. Even the portuguese media was surprised with EPL appointing him as a manager when there were managers like Vitor Pereira, Jorge Jesus, Paulo Fonseca, Luis Castro, etc who could actually do a better job as managers than Silva.

I still don't know what did Silva do to justify all this interest.

haram

That and for the money spent their best player this season is on loan from Barcelona where he most certainly will return and be sold to a much bigger club than Everton
Well, Richarlison is surely up there as well.

If you look at the table, they are around the teams they should be around. Unless they fall off and dont remain competitive with the current group he should be fully judged next season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Well, Richarlison is surely up there as well.

If you look at the table, they are around the teams they should be around. Unless they fall off and dont remain competitive with the current group he should be fully judged next season.
I dunno, with the perception we were given about Silva and the level of investment I would have expected them to be above the likes of West Ham, Leicester and Watford. Not around them and certainly not below them

haram

I dunno, with the perception we were given about Silva and the level of investment I would have expected them to be above the likes of West Ham, Leicester and Watford. Not around them and certainly not below them
Well they could still finish above them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Big problem for Everton is lack of mentality.

You look at their core players and it's not a bad 11 they can put out.

Coleman (o.k better before his broken leg but still one of better RBs in premier league and as good as some who sometimes play for top 4, Valencia/Trippier)

Mina (don't understand at all why he's now being benched as Zouma/Keane is dodgy as hell to me)

Digne (seems to be having a good season)

Gana (good stats and linked to PSG)

Andre GOmes (dipped a bit recently but rated by plenty)

Glyfi (for Everton level fine and when in form genuine matchwinner)

Richarlison (blows hot and cold but potential is huge imo which is shown by Brazil regularly calling him up now, not a central striker though).

Also got some promising young players like Lookman and Calvert Lewin but they need another 18 months as neither are established in first 11.

Everton's big problem is mentality. Look at how bad their record is v Liverpool. Look at how bad their record is at Old Trafford, Emirates, Stamford Bridge etc.

They played really well at Anfield, lost to a freak 94th minute goal and instead of chests out and winning their next 3-4, they've started feeling sorry for themselves and hence we get this inconsistant form.

They're like they were under Moyes. Or like we were under O'Neil. Or Spurs for a few seasons after Bale left. Some really good players that don't believe in themselves enough. Also not helped by how much stronger the top 6 is compared to even five years ago.

For all the stick Spurs still get about not winning trophies they at least believe now they belong in the top 4 every season. Guess Everton think Silva will be their Pochettino but I have my doubts on that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Well they could still finish above them.
Problem with how strong top 6 is teams lose their motivation to just fight for 7th so you're getting all this inconsistant form from Everton, Leicester and West Ham, the three most likely to finish 7th.

Of course it could get interesting again if FA cup final has two of the top 6 so europa league goes down to 7th.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Problem with how strong top 6 is teams lose their motivation to just fight for 7th so you're getting all this inconsistant form from Everton, Leicester and West Ham, the three most likely to finish 7th.

Of course it could get interesting again if FA cup final has two of the top 6 so europa league goes down to 7th.
Would it be interesting though? All three would probably crash out in the playoff rounds

Classical Mechanic

Kind of crazy but according to wiki Big Sam managed Everton for 26 games, winning 10, drawing 7 and losing 9.

Marco Silva has now managed 26 games and has won 10, drawn 7 and lost 9.

izec

Glad we didnt go for Mina, some on here would try to convince us he would come good eventually a la Lindelöf, but i doubt it, that doesnt happen with everyone. He is not good enough from every game i saw him so far, Barca, Colombia and Everton. Also Digne is good going forward, but absolutely average at defending. He would get torn apart by our fanbase.

Castia

Gotta be one of the worst managers in the league.

Sacked from Hull after relegation, Watford are better without him, and Everton don't seem to be making much progress although they've started investing in their team.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He is close to being sacked. Watched the match today and Everton were poor. It was not like they had twenty shots and just had a bad day. looked directionless.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Glad we didnt go for Mina, some on here would try to convince us he would come good eventually a la Lindelöf, but i doubt it, that doesnt happen with everyone. He is not good enough from every game i saw him so far, Barca, Colombia and Everton. Also Digne is good going forward, but absolutely average at defending. He would get torn apart by our fanbase.
Hugely overrated because he scored those goals at the World Cup.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Werent there posters saying we should hire him. Pretty sure i saw his name mentioned in that poll for next manager. Could be wrong though.

FujiVice

And Everton fans laughed when it was suggested Wenger should take the Everton job instead of Silva.

Nick7

He's absolutely shite. It was hilarious in the summer when people were so desperate to sign anyone that they would have taken him.

haram

Gotta be one of the worst managers in the league.

Sacked from Hull after relegation, Watford are better without him, and Everton don't seem to be making much progress although they've started investing in their team.
Dont think he was sacked by Hull.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Mourinho would be the perfect manager for Everton. Much better in the underdog role.

Brophs

The One and Only
Recent Everton managers all have a touch of the snake oil salesman about them.

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
How we all laughed at Merson when he slagged him off when he was appointed manager at Hull.

Looks like he was right all along about this guy.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
How we all laughed at Merson when he slagged him off when he was appointed manager at Hull.

People liked Silva because Merson (who is an idiot) slagged him. So many football fans want to seem intelligent and as such insult pundits as they are so stupid compared to “Mounited45” on redcafe.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
@Carl remember you telling me he was a good manager last year. Changed your mind yet?
You are so weird. This is now twice you've made a similar post aimed at me with the intention of scoring some kind of football forum points. This is what you said last time out, in January 2018:

Where’s @Carl? He was making excuses for Silva, when I questioned his ability to set up a defence.
I told you back then and I'll tell you again. That's not what happened. What I actually said was that it was harsh to judge him at that point in time because he'd been dealing with a lot of defensive injuries during his time at Hull. See below:

Incredibly harsh to say his teams can't defend. He actually stiffened hull up quite a bit when you consider what he had to work with. Also, his Watford side don't exactly leak goals. Especially considering their first choice CB pairing has been injured pretty much all season.
So as you can see, at no point did I try to particularly argue that he was "a good manager" or that he's some kind of incredible defensive coach.

2 posts to try and make a dig based in my post from November 2017 and it's not even saying what you keep saying it does! Outside from that conversation I don't think we've ever spoken.

Bojan11

You are so weird. This is now twice you've made a similar post aimed at me with the intention of scoring some kind of football forum points. This is what you said last time out, in January 2018:

I told you back then and I'll tell you again. That's not what happened. What I actually said was that it was harsh to judge him at that point in time because he'd been dealing with a lot of defensive injuries during his time at Hull. See below:

So as you can see, at no point did I try to particularly argue that he was "a good manager" or that he's some kind of incredible defensive coach.

2 posts to try and make a dig based in my post from November 2017 and it's not even saying what you keep saying it does! Outside from that conversation I don't think we've ever spoken.
I asked you a question, so stop being defensive. I’m not trying to score points, I am asking have you changed your mind.

He can’t coach a defence, I think that was clear yesterday with Everton’s set piece defending and his time at Watford/Hull.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I asked you a question, so stop being defensive. I’m not trying to score points, I am asking have you changed your mind.

He can’t coach a defence, I think that was clear yesterday with Everton’s set piece defending and his time at Watford/Hull.
I didn't have a mind to change. I hadn't made my mind up on Silva. There was bits from his time at Hull and Watford that I liked, but as stated, it was early days so I hadn't really made my mind up.

Doing distinctly average at Everton so far. 11th in the league. Probably around the areas they should be.

So not exceeding expectations but also not doing terribly.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Merson oddly gets things right more often than people like to think.