Marco Silva | No longer Everton manager

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Gotta be one of the worst managers in the league.

Sacked from Hull after relegation, Watford are better without him, and Everton don't seem to be making much progress although they've started investing in their team.
Wasn't sacked by Hull, was a short term contract. They pretty much begged him to stay.

Bojan11

I didn’t bump a thread. I asked him if he changed his opinion.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
People liked Silva because Merson (who is an idiot) slagged him. So many football fans want to seem intelligent and as such insult pundits as they are so stupid compared to “Mounited45” on redcafe.
Think it was more that Merson’s point was they should’ve got Gary Rowett instead, who’s just been sacked after 8 months at Stoke.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I didn’t bump a thread. I asked him if he changed his opinion.
Fair enough, wasn’t a serious post. I was actually wrong about Silva, I thought he was overrated but better than he’s shown at Everton

Castia

Wasn't sacked by Hull, was a short term contract. They pretty much begged him to stay.

Fair enough, still he left the day after getting relegated. It’s hardly a plus point on his cv.

He’s been in England for a number of years with multiple teams and I just don’t see anything about him.

Kapardin

How we all laughed at Merson when he slagged him off when he was appointed manager at Hull.

Looks like he was right all along about this guy.
To be fair to Silva, he actually did well at Hull despite the relegation.

And regarding Merson, I think the point was not about Silva, but about the fact that Merson was more raving about British managers being overlooked for foreign ones. That was a touch of xenophobia more than a fair appraisal of Silva -- I think even if Hull had appointed Nuno Espirito Santo, Merson would have said the same thing.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

And regarding Merson, I think the point was not about Silva, but about the fact that Merson was more raving about British managers being overlooked for foreign ones. That was a touch of xenophobia more than a fair appraisal of Silva -- I think even if Hull had appointed Nuno Espirito Santo, Merson would have said the same thing.
Basically this. Merson deserved to be mocked because he dismissed Silva based on the fact he was a foreigner he hadn't heard of, rather than because he had some genuine knowledge about him. It was a stupid, uneducated rant.

I think Silva's been a bit exposed in England, but I doubt anybody would have done better at Hull, which is the appointment Merson was questioning. I guarantee had he been asked what he thought when Pochettino was appointed at Southampton he would have said something similar.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Some of the posts on there are eerily familiar.

"It's all on the players..."

"He doesn't have his own players in yet..."

"Question: Do you really think changing the manager will solve our problems?"

"Our players aren't good enough, even the best manager in the world can't do better with them..."

I paraphrased, but essentially that. There's also a thread on there where the OP was getting called out for saying half-jokingly that he would switch to United (because 'Manc scum' and all that), but interestingly no one seemed to have issues with the several posters saying they would support City.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Some of the posts on there are eerily familiar.

"It's all on the players..."

"He doesn't have his own players in yet..."

"Question: Do you really think changing the manager will solve our problems?"

"Our players aren't good enough, even the best manager in the world can't do better with them..."

I paraphrased, but essentially that. There's also a thread on there where the OP was getting called out for saying half-jokingly that he would switch to United (because 'Manc scum' and all that), but interestingly no one seemed to have issues with the several posters saying they would support City.
From my experience, Everton fans really don't like United. Which is a shame cause I honestly don't mind Everton that much, we have mutual hatred for Liverpool which makes them okay-ish in my book.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
How we all laughed at Merson when he slagged him off when he was appointed manager at Hull.

Looks like he was right all along about this guy.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
From my experience, Everton fans really don't like United. Which is a shame cause I honestly don't mind Everton that much, we have mutual hatred for Liverpool which makes them okay-ish in my book.
Really? Damn, I thought they were the one fanbase we could get along with. Is there any particular reason for that?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Really? Damn, I thought they were the one fanbase we could get along with. Is there any particular reason for that?
I don't know the whole story but I think they harbour a grudge over Rooney, he was their golden boy and he spent his career becoming a legend at another club. The fact that we're Liverpool's biggest rivals and not themselves seems to annoy them as well. I've met a few Everton fans outside of the city who don't seem to mind us, the clubs do have a good professional relationship. Although, in Liverpool I've yet to meet an Everton fan who has a nice thing to say about us :lol:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
His celebration yesterday when everton scored their second reminded me of Moyes against fulham. You would swear it was the champions league final. Just completely overdoing it given the context.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I don't know the whole story but I think they harbour a grudge over Rooney, he was their golden boy and he spent his career becoming a legend at another club. The fact that we're Liverpool's biggest rivals and not themselves seems to annoy them as well. I've met a few Everton fans outside of the city who don't seem to mind us, the clubs do have a good professional relationship. Although, in Liverpool I've yet to meet an Everton fan who has a nice thing to say about us :lol:
:lol: Shame. Have something of a soft spot for them, especially during the season Rooney went back there.

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan

At the time Rowett appeared to be a promising young manager having done well with Burton and then being bizarrely sacked as Birmingham manager and their season then completely crashing as a result.

Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.
That was the thought going through my head too.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
hktoffee on GOT said:
Time’s up. That’s it. What a disgrace.

Huddersfield, Newcastle, Watford - draw

West Ham, Leicester, Wolves - lost

At HOME.

5 remaining games against the top 6 out of 6 at home.
Doubt Silva will last the season now.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Doubt Silva will last the season now.
I mean are they doing that badly? They're only few points of 7th. I know it's kind of neither here nor there but what would they truly gain from sacking him before the end of the season?

Damien

Staff
I mean are they doing that badly? They're only few points of 7th. I know it's kind of neither here nor there but what would they truly gain from sacking him before the end of the season?
Yes. 5 points behind 7th and after spending loads of money since Big Sam got sacked, Silva's record pointswise hasn't actually been an improvement (or not much of one anyway). Before the season they would have been hoping to be 7th and trying to make a push for the top 6, but they're closer to being in a scrap of 8-12th than going for the top 7.

izec

He will get sacked sooner rather than later. Always has some results that save him, and then loses again. At one point the he will get booted out though, once the frustration reaches a certain point and i feel we are close.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes. 5 points behind 7th and after spending loads of money since Big Sam got sacked, Silva's record pointswise hasn't actually been an improvement (or not much of one anyway). Before the season they would have been hoping to be 7th and trying to make a push for the top 6, but they're closer to being in a scrap of 8-12th than going for the top 7.
Yeah, I suppose that's true. I'm forgetting they've spent a chunk and there is barely no improvement all.

Damien

Staff
Yeah, I suppose that's true. I'm forgetting they've spent a chunk and there is barely no improvement all.
Their remaining fixtures:

Man City (h)
Watford (a)
Cardiff City (a)
Liverpool (h)
Newcastle (a)
Chelsea (h)
West Ham (a)
Arsenal (h)
Fulham (a)
Man Utd (h)
Crystal Palace (a)
Burnley (h)
Spurs (a)

They're on 33 points with 13 games left but with those games I can't see them getting much more than 40 points. They have all of the top 6 to play (most at home) and most of the away games are against teams they've struggled at home. After the City and Watford games they should end up being 11-12th.

Suvvernmanc

I've just finished watching the game. Everton were atrocious. They were poor all over the pitch. Silva looks completely clueless of how to turn things around. As usual the fans were booing pretty much throughout the game.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wow look at Everton's remaining home games. :lol: They'll barely get much more than 45 points which is really poor considering their investment.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Terrible performance after terrible performance. Most players i've seen interviewed seem to really like him and he started off brilliantly with us but now we are absolutely shocking. Doesn't matter how much we've spent or who plays. It's just crap.

Terrible performance after terrible performance. Most players i've seen interviewed seem to really like him and he started off brilliantly with us but now we are absolutely shocking. Doesn't matter how much we've spent or who plays. It's just crap.
What do you think the problem is? Personel, tactics etc

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He deserves to be sacked. They should play more than this.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
They'll get tonked by City convincingly and play out of their skins for us, our game is their season now, the rest is the manager trying to save his job.

Everton seem to have lost their way since they sacked Moyes. They didn't play the best stuff but they seemed more consistent.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
The problem with Everton is all the money they've spent blinds people to the fact the team just isn't that good. Them being about mid-table isn't surprising. I mean look at the team that started today:

Pickford - Talented but error prone, still pretty young mind you.

Baines - Finished

Keane - Clearly out of his depth outside teams that defend extremely deep

Zouma - Doing ok for them but we're talking a guy who struggled for a relegated club last season, not the elite talent he was once thought to be.

Coleman - Finished

Davies - Just not that talented in the first place

Gomes - OK, overrated because he's from Barcelona though. Passing is pretty bland and aside from his goal today contributes little going forward.

Siggurdsson - Actually does very little in open play. Good for mid-table teams or below as he'll contribute through set pieces and the odd goal but goes missing in open play most the time.

Richarlison - Very talented, very inconsistent. Will win games, but will be non existent a lot more.

Walcott - Finished

Cenk Tosun - Just a bog standard cart horse premier league striker that float around the bottom half, ten a penny.

There's this image that they should be the best of the rest. But on team and squad quality its certainly no surprise if they finish mid-table. They're just like a bunch of other teams in mid-table - a few inconsistent talents, has beens and never will be's. West Ham's team is no less talented (I would say more) and no one seems to think Pellegrino needs to be sacked.

DRM

Another flash in pan over hyped manager. File under villas boas

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
How is a team supposed to compete without a striker? You also have to take into account the cleanup job that's being taken place. Sort of like what Mourinho had to do when he joined. Look at the list of players out on loan: Bolasie, Sandro, Cuco Martina, Niasse, Besic, Vlasic, Ashley Williams, Mirallas.

They'll be better next season.