Chelsea (h)
West Ham (a)
Arsenal (h)
Fulham (a)
Man Utd (h)
Crystal Palace (a)
Burnley (h)
Spurs (a)

They're on 33 points with 13 games left but with those games I can't see them getting much more than 40 points. They have all of the top 6 to play (most at home) and most of the away games are against teams they've struggled at home. After the City and Watford games they should end up being 11-12th.
Wow that's an extremely difficult run in.

Karlos PFC

Richarlison - Very talented, very inconsistent. Will win games, but will be non existent a lot more.
Richarlison has huge potential, he is non existent cause the whole team is non existent. Without proper service he can't come any good. Also more clinical than Rashford.

Don't get me wrong I like Rash but he is very egoistic and always wants to do the excessive and tricks and shit, which has cost us numerous times (of course he gave us some very beautiful moments and goals but there are times that there is an open player, (almost certain goal) but he wants to finish it on his own even though he may have little chance of converting). Richarlison just wants to score, which is the main purpose of the whole thing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hope they keep him till we play them. hey are tactically shocking. Cannot defend for toffee.

C'est Moi Cantona

Some fans must be getting desperate, quite a few seem ok with Moyes coming back for now, and one was even calling for Steve Clarke.

haram

Some fans must be getting desperate, quite a few seem ok with Moyes coming back for now, and one was even calling for Steve Clarke.
Literally what would be the point. They need to ride the season out and go from there.

dogwithabone

I do wonder what owners expect though. A new manager generally arrives for a reason and that is because the team are under performing so surely that man has to be given at least a season to turn around the fortunes and get them pointing in the right direction. Bar City, Liverpool, Wolves and possibly Bournemouth this season there’s an argument that every other club is under performing or at the very least not exceeding expectation.

Some are doing worse than others - Everton probably one - but finishing 8th or 15th what’s really the difference ? Their aim has to be to change the mentality of the club and have a long term vision that will make them more competitive as a top 7 or top 8 club and they should be selecting a manager on this basis. If that man was Silva 6 months ago then really nothing much should have changed at this stage of the process.

C'est Moi Cantona

Literally what would be the point. They need to ride the season out and go from there.
I suppose alot are just depressed with what they are seeing, so anything else must be better, it's fairly easy to relate to after the football we endured before Ole came in, I'd have taken literally anyone just to get rid of Jose, I guess they're in that frame of mind.

Liverpool links will no doubt stop them, but should chuck a wedge of cash towards Benitez, or someone like Conte, just a safe pair of hands approach, rather than chancing it again, they're squad isn't that bad, and they always have money to spend, they should be the team pushing the 'top 6'.

haram

I suppose alot are just depressed with what they are seeing, so anything else must be better, it's fairly easy to relate to after the football we endured before Ole came in, I'd have taken literally anyone just to get rid of Jose, I guess they're in that frame of mind.

Liverpool links will no doubt stop them, but should chuck a wedge of cash towards Benitez, or someone like Conte, just a safe pair of hands approach, rather than chancing it again, they're squad isn't that bad, and they always have money to spend, they should be the team pushing the 'top 6'.
Seems like people just want to swap managers in and out every 6 months. Perhaps they will change managers and get another Allardyce. If you are going to invest the type of money Everton have on the squad and manager, he should at least be given the whole season. It’s not like they are getting relegated.

C'est Moi Cantona

Seems like people just want to swap managers in and out every 6 months. Perhaps they will change managers and get another Allardyce. If you are going to invest the type of money Everton have on the squad and manager, he should at least be given the whole season. It’s not like they are getting relegated.
You're right the season is done for them, just not sure many of them see much mileage in giving Silva much more time, I've only really taken a passive interest, but had a look through their forum after yesterday and was quite surprised at how strongly many feel, and it seems the match going fans aren't on board either, then in Silva you have a manager who just doesn't come across as someone who really cares that much, and is clearly quite happy to jump ship when the chance is given.

If they get shut they'd be better just giving it to 'big Dunc' for the rest of the season, and give them self some breathing space to get it right this time.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I honestly thought Silva was the next big thing after his Hull stint.

People say he went down but he did well to even get close to saving them from his starting point and he had some pretty impressive performances, they were arguably the better team away to Chelsea and Arsenal despite losing both and in-between those two games won and drew vs United while also beating Liverpool, other results IIRC featured them smashing Watford with ten men.

At the time I thought he would end up on a similar trajectory to Pochettino but he has been a massive let down at Watford and Everton.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What do you think the problem is? Personel, tactics etc
Defensively we are terrible again. We are in dire need of a manager who has both tactical principles because we seem to be in a yo-yo with one who can defend to a very good level leaving us toothless up front to a manager who can give us goals but leaves us horribly exposed.

There must be something about Silva too in terms of his training style that doesn't work as he consistently has periods with clubs where he's excellent at the beginning and then it completely goes to shit mid-season.

We have the basis of a really good team but many of them are horrendously out of form and we are still plagued with a bit of Rooney-syndrome. Every single time we bring through youth players they're elevated to an absurd standard (not just by the media but by our own fans, myself included at times) that then turns sour because they just aren't good enough to be top table players yet. Take Davies for example, he's only 20 but he feels like he's been with us for a long time already because he's in and out of the side rather than being sent to a Championship side to ready him for us ala Barkley did before he started putting in the types of performances that got him noticed by Chelsea.

I have no idea what's wrong with our negotiating team either. We get shafted by other PL teams time and time again. 50m on Richarlison, 30m+ Gylfi, 30m Pickford, 20m Walcott, 20m Schneiderlin...the list goes on. Digne and Gomes were excellent pulls by Silva (albeit Gomes seems to go through horrendous patches of form which is overshadowed by really really good ones) but the rest haven't done particularly well.

All in all we need to go back to our roots a little bit and remember why we made the top 8 consistently under Moyes. A bit of humility in the market. Exploiting the European and lower league market for players is the reason that Bournemouth and Wolves are in the place that they are. Bournemouth uncovering gems like Brooks and Wolves with their Portuguese contingency, coupled in with two managers that play very nice flowing football.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Benitez uses zonal.

It’s nothing to do with that. It’s more to do with coaching. He just cannot coach a defence and it looks like attack too.
I've never liked zonal marking, it can be horribly exposed as is shown with Silva. It's even worse when we have defenders like Zouma, Mina and Keane that relish man-mark systems due to their stature. I disagree about Silva regarding coaching attacking play, that's been the only good thing about us this season at times, but when we are bereft of confidence it isn't going to be pretty.

Nick7

Zonal usually includes one or two players marking the oppositions best headers or stopping runs. Silva's version doesn't seem like it has that. They allow the opposition the opportunity to do whatever they want.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Benitez uses zonal.

It’s nothing to do with that. It’s more to do with coaching. He just cannot coach a defence and it looks like attack too.
And I remember when Benitez's Liverpool were shocking at set pieces as well

There was a game when Silvestre scored twice (Ferdinand's return from his ban) which was the height of his zonal marking being scrutinised

Give me man to man marking over zonal all day long

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
So does nearly every thread on Redcafe, in all fairness.
Marco Silva is not a bad manager, tbh. His work at Estoril was very good, quite similar to the work that Paulo Fonseca did at Paços de Ferreira. I think he can be a very good option for bottom clubs who want to make a balanced season and avoid demotion.

What baffles me and other portuguese folks is that with so many portuguese managers who actually have a much better record and career and would possibly do a much better job at an EPL club, why did he got picked ahead of those managers, and what did he do to receive so much praise from the brittish media?

His stint at Sporting wasn't particulary good either, the team didn't play any remarkable football quality and in defensive terms Sporting was quite poor for top club standards.

I know that probably few managers would have taken the Hull job, but looking at the portuguese managers lot available at the time, I still don't know why him.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
He turned us down twice. Before Nuno arrived - very happy with Nuno but have been interesting to see how he did at Wolves!

Last edited by a moderator:

Irwin99

So are we hoping that if they sack him and get a new manager the team puts in a winning performance against Liverpool? :devil:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Probably need another 6 points to be safe.

Only home game I can see them winning is Burnley and that's actually their last home game in May.

One thing you don't really want to rely on in premier league is regular away wins.

Just checked the table last season and they finished on 49 points. Can't see them getting close to that.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Loses again.

This time against Watford away. 5 defeats in 6 now.
10 losses in our last 16. Zouma sent off after the game too for arguing with the ref. There becomes a point when enough is enough and it's amazing that our board came out and said we would stick with him after that run.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They spent a year trying to hire him. Imagine they sack him after six months?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
10 losses in our last 16. Zouma sent off after the game too for arguing with the ref. There becomes a point when enough is enough and it's amazing that our board came out and said we would stick with him after that run.
How many points do you see from your remaining home games? Can only see a win v Burnley and that could easily end a draw.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How many points do you see from your remaining home games? Can only see a win v Burnley and that could easily end a draw.
Yep, Burnley or Chelsea are the best bets for home as we know this season that Chelsea can have really bad off days. We really badly need the win against Cardiff.

We need an rvn

knee jerk reaction. your club spent ages chasing the guy and he's on big money. they'd look like fools if they got rid of him that quickly rather than give him time to build the squad he wants. do what we do and keep him for a few years to really destroy it only for a legend to return and raise you from the ashes